What can Superman do faster: Run or Fly?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
I know he mostly flies more than he runs but I also know I know he can do both very fast but I never realized which he can do faster, fly or run.

Blair Wind
he flys much faster...theres some science to it, but I dont remember it....

olympian
Fly.

((The_Anomaly))
Fly obviously

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ((The_Anomaly))
Fly obviously

Well it's probably because you mostly see him flying or flying real fast.

What I think is, is that he can run faster or just as fast as he can fly but since being airborne doesn't offer as much obstacles to slow down the trajectorial path of something flying as much as being on the ground where there are obstacles like high/low elevations and other geographical distractions that may deter the speed of a fast moving object, flying may be faster.

But what if there was an exact copy of Superman pitted against the other copy, with one copy on a flat surface with no obstacles in the way for miles and have the other copy airborne, and have them race from start to finish. I think that the outcome may be the same, or maybe with Superman the runner taking it because every time I saw Superman start a run, he just takes of faster than a bullet yet, I don't really see him launch or take off as fast when it comes to flight.

Bardock42
Well in all the Flash/Superman crossovers he has to run, cause it would be unfair. but if he actually flies faster I am not sure, although it would be logical wouldn't it.

kanis
batman I would say fly to like bardock 42 said in running race with the flash he's always lost but he seems to cause more physical damage to who ever he is hitting while flying at them by momentum, and its an easier esape to fly off than to run off.

NoFate007
Fly

Mindship
I would say Fly because there is no neuromuscular activity involved, it's a "simpler" activity involving a straightforward application of his energies.

DarkCrawler
He's also more areodynamical while flying. stick out tongue

Sir Whirlysplat
Also flying means more direct routes get taken over terrain. So distance is travelled quicker.

Magee
And I think his running speed is limited as he can only run fast due to his powerful leg muscles, where as his flying... is not... limited blink

redcaped
Correct me if I'm wrong but Superman won the running event with Flash in every attempt I believe more than once. I had the book in my hands when they take swimming and Superman saves him from a wave. Well, let the Flash fans have it their way. By the way I am a fan of Flash#1 with the helmet.

kanis
devil2 I like the wally west flash better than the original and the barry allen one.

Demas
Obviously flying.

Why?

Without a contrivance like the Speed Force, magic, or some similar thing, there is an upper limit to running speed, period. That speed is exit velocity... at which point Supes running would launch himself into space/orbit and cease to be running (and arguably long before that the strides could cease to be considered running) without flying downward to keep his feet on the ground.

Psycho Ninja
fly

fini
FLY

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.