Best? So Far this year..

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Dusty
You're thoughts. I know several people haven't even gotten off their arses to see anything.

Me: Lucky Number Slevin

Scarecrow756
My best film this year so far is V for Vendetta.

Tptmanno1
Was Sleven that good? I didn't hear good things about it.
V for vendetta or Thank you for smoking.

Dusty
Originally posted by Tptmanno1
Was Sleven that good?

Oh yeah, I loved it. How else would it get Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Bruce willis in the same film?

Check it out while you still can.

Impediment
V for Vendetta.

Nevermind
V for Vendetta is the only one that comes to mind so far.

Solo
Originally posted by Nevermind
V for Vendetta is the only one that comes to mind so far.
Yep.
Originally posted by Dusty
Oh yeah, I loved it. How else would it get Morgan Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley, and Bruce willis in the same film?
Ben Kingsley was just in Bloodrayne. Bloodrayne.

I expect Inland Empire to be the best of the year, though. Who knows, it's possible that I may be disappointed.

Dusty
Originally posted by Solo
Ben Kingsley was just in Bloodrayne. Bloodrayne.

Yeah, and so was Michael Madsen. That Doesn't resent the fact that they are genius's, But they want money. Just like any other actor in the world.

Solo
Yeah, and so was Michael Madsen. That Doesn't resent the fact that they are genius's, But they want money. Just like any other actor in the world.
Ben Kingsley was in Schindler's List and Gandhi and all of a sudden he's a genius? That's a pretty ignorant remark.

Dusty
Ben Kingsley was in Schindler's List and Gandhi and all of a sudden he's a genius? That's a pretty ignorant remark.

You don't think so? The man was nominated 4 academy awards. 2 of which he won, himself. Aside from Gahndi, and Schindler's List, he also starred in 'Anne Frank', and 'House of Sand and Fog'. One of my favorite actors. There are several actors I could classify as 'Genius'. Sir Ben Kingsley is one of which.

Solo
You don't think so? The man was nominated 4 academy awards. 2 of which he won, himself. Aside from Gahndi, and Schindler's List, he also starred in 'Anne Frank', and 'House of Sand and Fog'. One of my favorite actors. There are several actors I could classify as 'Genius'. Sir Ben Kingsley is one of which.
He's a great actor, no doubt. But calling him a genius is going a little too far, IMO. Didn't like "House of Sand and Fog" much, although I know many people did. "Anne Frank" was pretty good, though.

C-Dic
Nah, "genius" isn't something that can really be applied to someone's acting skills. That's reserved for mental acumen. Ben Kingsley's an actor, and not much more. He's no longer selective of his roles, either. He's VERY hit or miss, and doesn't deliver a string og good movies, much like any other A lister. He did "Bloodrayne", yeah..he also did "Sound of Thunder" with that ridiculous ****ing Oompa Loompa hair.

Point is, he's a versatile actor, and a good one, but I have to agree that "genius" is overpraising the guy.

Oh, and my vote goes to "Brokeback Mountain". I haven't seen many movies in theatres for a couple of reasons. 1, there's a lot of poor films out, 2, I don't have the time, and 3, they're on DVD in about as much times as they spend in theatres. Quick turnaround.

Nevermind
Originally posted by C-Dic
Nah, "genius" isn't something that can really be applied to someone's acting skills.

Agreed. For me, personally, a "genius" is some one far more creatively involved such a screenwriter or director. However, that doesn't stop actors being fantastic in what they do.

Tired Hiker
Have you guys seen Sexy Beast? I thought it was Ben Kingsly's best role ever. He's such a co cksucker, you just LOVE to HATE him!! happy

C-Dic
"Sexy Beast" is a nifty movie, a little overrated, IMO, but his character is likeable..in a weird way, lol.

Solo
Oh, and my vote goes to "Brokeback Mountain".
Isn't that 2005?

BackFire
Yep, Brokeback is 2005 technically.

There hasn't been much so far this year for me, the best is still to come.

So far though, I guess I'd say Hills Have Eyes followed by Silent Hill.

C-Dic
Isn't that 2005?

1/13/06 nationwide, which is what matters to me.

BackFire
Where did you get that date? The date I've seen is 12/16/05 as the official US release date.

Myth
1. Munich
2. Thank You for Smoking
3. Inside Man
4. Slither (surprisingly, although not much other competition)

Still need to see Slevin and I hope it surpasses at least a couple of these)

Tptmanno1
Munich was last year though, wasn't it?

C-Dic
Originally posted by BackFire
Where did you get that date? The date I've seen is 12/16/05 as the official US release date.

December 9th was the "limited release" date, meaning NY & LA. Worldwide was 1/13/06.

Boxofficemojo.com

"Munich" was also a December "limited release", with a 1/6/06 nationwide opening.

BackFire
Hmmm...well if you wanna go by by that date then Brokeback would be my choice too, but since it technically it is a 2005 movie, I won't list it.

C-Dic
..and I'm not dogging you on this, but the cities that get the "limited release" movies are the only ones that are aware of the release date, and get the whole big "special engagement" trailers on television. Whereas the rest of the country isn't aware, and we/they get the "In theatres __________" trailer.

I'm sticking with "Brokeback Mountain", because that ONE limited engagement in December, it played on 5 SCREENS NATIONWIDE.

It's a 2006 movie.

BackFire
By December 26th it was playing in 217 screens.

December 30th it was playing in 269.

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?page=weekend&id=brokebackmountain.htm

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0388795/business

2005 movie.

The year a film is counted as isn't when it got its biggest release, its when it got its initial release. By the end of 2005 it was already in a good number of theaters across the country. It got put into more because of the success in those theaters.

C-Dic
Fine.

Just so everyone else is up to date on these "technicalities", the following films are also ineligible.

V For Vendetta
Munich
Thank You For Smoking

So, that leaves you with a bunch of shitty movies that actually debuted nationwide in the year 2006. I retract my vote for "Brokeback" and replace it with "Scary Movie 4".

BackFire
Why 'V for Vendetta' or 'Thank you for Smoking'? Both of those had the initial release date of March 17th.

And if you want to list Brokeback Mountain as your favorite 2006 movie, be my guest, dude. You're welcome to have your own definition on what kind of release date you wish to go by. If you're going by a "wide" release, which is understandable, then feel free to list Brokeback. I just didn't want people thinking the film was officially released in 2006.

Nevermind
Fine.

Just so everyone else is up to date on these "technicalities", the following films are also ineligible.

V For Vendetta
Munich
Thank You For Smoking

So, that leaves you with a bunch of shitty movies that actually debuted nationwide in the year 2006. I retract my vote for "Brokeback" and replace it with "Scary Movie 4".

What about those who don't live in the glorious US of A? Can we still keep our votes?

BackFire
I'd say so.

C-Dic
Why 'V for Vendetta' or 'Thank you for Smoking'? Both of those had the initial release date of March 17th.

And if you want to list Brokeback Mountain as your favorite 2006 movie, be my guest, dude. You're welcome to have your own definition on what kind of release date you wish to go by. If you're going by a "wide" release, which is understandable, then feel free to list Brokeback. I just didn't want people thinking the film was officially released in 2006.

Just cuz "Thank You For Smoking" debuted in September of 2005 at the Canadian Film Festival. Tickets were sold to view it, so..yeah. "V For Vendetta" debuted at some Texas Film Festival in December of 2005, too.

Now, that's only if you wanna split hairs and ruin my fun. Otherwise, yeah, they're 2006 movies..angel

BackFire
Yeah, I'm not really counting Film Festivals, if you count those Brokeback is about 4 months from being a 2004 movie.

Dusty
^ laughing out loud

To all of the above.

Mr Parker
I think a lot of people would change their minds and list this one if they saw it.I know it hasnt been listed because I know the majority of people here havent seen it and that is Firewall with Harrison Ford.

Myth
I heard it wasn't very good.

ECHUD123456
Definately V, I Don't Give A Flying **** About Technicalities, it was in wide release in 2006. Its impossible thatt everyone is in the same area! V FOR VENDETTA!! ****ing Star Wars Is New In Some Places! Ahem.... V For Vendetta

Dusty
1. Lucky Number Slevin
2. 16 Blocks
3. Pirates of the Caribbean : Dead Mans Chest
4. Superman Returns
5. RV
6. Glory Road

That's about it so far.

LiL nAstY GirL
I wanted to see Slevin really bad, it was good?

16 Blocks was amazig

WrathfulDwarf
Date Movie! FFS is the best this year!!!! It's the funniest film EVER!!! WOO-HOOOOO!!!!!

Myth
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I think a lot of people would change their minds and list this one if they saw it.I know it hasnt been listed because I know the majority of people here havent seen it and that is Firewall with Harrison Ford.

Wow, I watched that earlier this summer and it was pretty bad. It was like a poor man's "Ransom."

I'd like to add:
The Proposition

MI3, Supes Return, and X3 were pretty good too.

Dusty
Originally posted by LiL nAstY GirL
I wanted to see Slevin really bad, it was good?

It was. Comes out on DVD next month.

LiL nAstY GirL
It was. Comes out on DVD next month.

Next month... sounds good. I'll put it on the top of the list stick out tongue

ChrisMan005
MI3 was actually Really good.. even though most people hate Tom Cruise...

And I just saw POTC 2 on Friday, and it was amazing... my fav movie in a long time... big grin

~Da Rev~
Thank you for Smoking.

I haven't been watching much of the theater movies. And the ones that i wanted to see aren't in theaters around here (A Scanner Darkly, Lucky Number Sleven).

sithsaber408
Superman Returns.

.Dance_Inside.
Superman Returns! by far!

Solo
1. Brick
2. United 93
3. Mission: Impossible 3
4. Munich
5. V For Vendetta

Solo
1. Brick
2. United 93
4. Inside Man
5. Munich
Forgot about "Inside Man".

Myth
I really wanted to see Brick but didn't get to in theaters sad

BackFire
So far the best film this year was United 93 by a mile.

WarmVanilla
ditto to Superman Returns! smile

-------------
q121.com/freestuff

GODOFALL1
Superman Returns SUCKED!! Just Kidding, lol, by far and way the best movie of the year!!!!

1) SUPERMAN RETURNS
2) AN INCONVENIENT TRUTH

vvvrulz
The movies have been pretty bad this year, i'd have to say V for Vendetta was the best of the lot.

Bear in mind I haven't seen United 93 or Munich yet.

Murray
1. Brick
2. United 93
4. Munich
5. V For Vendetta

Good Choices!!!

I haven't seen Brick yet, but I will soon. Munich was great, as was MI3.
I still have to see United 93, but I heard it was amazing!!

I LOVED The New World.

Solo
Originally posted by Murray
Good Choices!!!

I haven't seen Brick yet, but I will soon. Munich was great, as was MI3.
I still have to see United 93, but I heard it was amazing!!

I LOVED The New World.
Thanks. The New World is amazing. I really wish I caught it at the theater last year, I'm sure it would've been fantastic.

systemshock2
"The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada" remains the best for me so far. "Superman Returns" is a close second though.

Grimm22
Eh, Supes was a disappointment for me erm

Mainly because of Luthor's silly attitude until the end of the movie sad

Best so far, Pirates wink

Most likely to be the best, Talidega Nights shifty

Eis
So far the best film this year was United 93 by a mile.
I agree... I had high expectations for BBM but I stopped watching half way through. I thought it was incredibly boring. (By the way it came out here in 2006)

Scarecrow756
1. V For Vendetta
2. Superman Returns
3. POTC 2: Dead Man`s Chest
4. Mission Impossible 3

X Men 3 was okay but overall compared to other Superhero films it stank and should have been longer to allow more screen time for the major mutants like Cyclops. As well as that some of chracters like Juggernaut were portrayed horribly.

Leggy_n_Merry
Pirates Of The Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest is my favourite so far. I don't think there'll be anything that I'll like more this year though. Although there are a few good ones coming out.

Oh and Walk The Line. And if Brokeback Mountain counts then that aswell.

Oh I just looked up Walk The Line on imdb and it says it's a 2005 film aswell. It came out in the UK in February so I just assumed it was 2006. So basically I've only mentioned one 2006 film but nevermind.

Superman Returns was also very good though, which is a 2006 film lol.

Dusty
1. Lucky Number Slevin
2. V for Vendetta
3. Brick
4. 16 Blocks
5. Dead Mans Chest
6. Superman Returns

SnakeEyes
1) POTC 2: Dead Man's Chest
2) Mission Impossible 3
3) V for Vendetta
4) Superman Returns

Once I see the new Will Farrell movie, it'll probably be on there as well.

GODOFALL1
V for Vendetta was HORRIBLE! What a long drawn out boring movie!

Darth Martin
1.V for Vendetta
2.The Pink Panther
3.X-Men 3
4.Superman Returns

Ladyluck
V for Vendetta
Thank You For Smoking
District B-13
Dead Man's Chest
Talladega Nights lol

DanZeke25
Inside Man
Superman Returns
X3

C-Dic
I have no idea if I've participated in this or not so...

1) Running Scared
2) Brick
3) V For Vendetta
4)
5)

I've decided to leave the last two open, namely because the movies I'd list (Underworld: Evolution & Date Movie) aren't on par with the first 3.

Xam
1-Clerks 2
2-Talladega Nights
3-V For Vendetta
4-Superman Returns
5-X-Men 3
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-

Ya Krunk'd Floo
I haven't seen Brick, Talladega Nights, or Clerks 2 yet, but the best film I've seen so far - by a long way - is Miami Vice. It's just got so much style.

Quite a long way behind that would be V, Superman Returns, Munich, and Syriana. Although, they are also good movies.

Myth
Updated:

1. Munich
2. The Proposition
3. The Descent (2006 US release)
4. Talladega Nights
5. Thank You For Smoking

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.