I was called a ____ this morning by a ______ in the U.S. in 2007, for no reason

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

FistOfThe North
Yup. I'm just a normal guy here Boston, I hopped on the half-empty train headed for class and while on standing, moments later, all while minding my own business, with my bookbag, hands in my pocket, looking at and reading an ad with flyers attached to it, this burly White guy, who must've been in his mid-40's with a Red Sox cap on, starts mumbling, while every so often taking gulps of his ginger-ale soda, says "fcukin' n*gg*r." I turned my head to look at him, then look around, then back at him, with one raised eyebrow, unsure if that's what he really said and so he took another slow swig of his drink while looking at me then looking away; put his drink down and said "you heard what i said, what are you gonna do about it?" while still looking away. He then continued to mumble away at something else; never establishing eye contact with me again.

As the train pulled-up at my stop, i stood in front of the train doors, blood boiling, pissed as fcuk, but not showing it, I'm ready to get off and i hear a voice tell from the side saying, "You were the bigger man." I turned and saw some Spanish guy, telling me this, and i said, "you noticed?" and he said "yea, wow" then I said "it's ok" when it fckin' wasn't. We got off the train and he goes "you did the right thing by ignoring that a-hole" And i'm like, in my mind, "man, leave me the fcuk alone, man." while telling him not to worry about it. We then went our own separate ways.

I'll admit, i wasn't myself coming in. I'm not racist against Whites but every White person I've seen so far today had a bullseye on their face that i wanted to punch a bloody hole through. I guess i'm ok now..I still don't think all Whites are racist, but why is this stuff still going on? Why is this stuff still happening to me...in 2007, in the U.S. I mean, I didn't do anything to that guy.

Bardock42
Originally posted by FistOfThe North
Yup. I'm just a normal guy here Boston, I hopped on the half-empty train headed for class and while on standing, moments later, all while minding my own business, with my bookbag, hands in my pocket, looking at and reading an ad with flyers attached to it, this burly White guy, who must've been in his mid-40's with a Red Sox cap on, starts mumbling, while every so often taking gulps of his ginger-ale soda, says "fcukin' n*gg*r." I turned my head to look at him, then look around, then back at him, with one raised eyebrow, unsure if that's what he really said and so he took another slow swig of his drink while looking at me then looking away; put his drink down and said "you heard what i said, what are you gonna do about it?" while still looking away. He then continued to mumble away at something else; never establishing eye contact with me again.

As the train pulled-up at my stop, i stood in front of the train doors, blood boiling, pissed as fcuk, but not showing it, I'm ready to get off and i hear a voice tell from the side saying, "You were the bigger man." I turned and saw some Spanish guy, telling me this, and i said, "you noticed?" and he said "yea, wow" then I said "it's ok" when it fckin' wasn't. We got off the train and he goes "you did the right thing by ignoring that a-hole" And i'm like, in my mind, "man, leave me the fcuk alone, man." while telling him not to worry about it. We then went our own separate ways.

I'll admit, i wasn't myself coming in. I'm not racist against Whites but every White person I've seen so far today had a bullseye on their face that i wanted to punch a bloody hole through. I guess i'm ok now..I still don't think all Whites are racist, but why is this stuff still going on? Why is this stuff still happening to me...in 2007, in the U.S. I mean, I didn't do anything to that guy.

You should have punched that *******.

But....you said you weren't black...I swear you did.

Strangelove
Because idiots still do and will continue to exist. Shit happens, life goes on.

Alpha Centauri
It baffles me as to why you would want to punch any white person as a result, but it's your life.

As for why it happened, because people are stupid.

-AC

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Bardock42
You should have punched that *******.

na. i dunno. i wanted to say or do something but...i just didn't. I didn't think it was worth it. You know to bring violence into it.

i dunno.

grey fox
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
It baffles me as to why you would want to punch any white person as a result, but it's your life.

-AC

Because white people piss him off. Hell they piss me off !

Then again I'M white , but then EVERYONE pisses me off anyway so it's a moot point.

BobbyD

FON, you did the right thing. I'm sorry to hear what you had to go through. It's moments like these that (shamefully) make all those who try hard to bridge the gap, want to give up. That man obviously has some other more serious issues to worry about other than racism.

There goes the neighborhood!

stick out tongue

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by grey fox
Because white people piss him off. Hell they piss me off !

Then again I'M white , but then EVERYONE pisses me off anyway so it's a moot point.

Wrong. Whites don't piss me of. Racist people do.

Bardock42
na. i dunno. i wanted to say or do something but...i just didn't. I didn't think it was worth it. You know to bring violence into it.

i dunno.

I guess, maybe should have called him some names though.

FistOfThe North

-AC

Well, like i said, i wasn't myself, kinda. I was being dumb and was thinking irrationally. Which is why i thought that.

JacopeX

-AC Why not? It is known as a very heart pounding insult.

FistOfThe North
I guess, maybe should have called him some names though.

Name calling..i dunno. I'm not like that. I'm not a boistrous guy. I'm just a chill person.

But it's no biggie now. I didn't come on here to collect sympathy but to air out. Let off some steam. And writing, for me, has always been a good way to do that.

Bardock42
Originally posted by JacopeX
Why not? It is known as a very heart pounding insult.

Because it is still irrational to hate innocent bystanders because of it.

manorastroman
weirdly, i'm sure black people call you n*gger for no reason all the time.

still though, that sucks. was he perchance an older gentleman? regardless, i'm sure he'll get his. people generally don't get away with that sort of blatant ignorance very long.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by manorastroman
weirdly, i'm sure black people call you n*gger for no reason all the time.

still though, that sucks. was he perchance an older gentleman? regardless, i'm sure he'll get his. people generally don't get away with that sort of blatant ignorance very long.

Yea, he was older. About 40-ish. Big guy, with a huge red (opened) sports bag on the floor, that had like newpapers and some clothes in it or something i didn't really look but something in me was telling me he that was probaby drunk or a drunk. He seemed a tad out of it and mildly sh*tfaced, to me. With his mumbling at the floor while sitting down and leaning foward the whole time with his bottle of ginger-ale in-between his crossed hands. He looked sad/mad. Like hopeless. Like he just didn't care.

sucks.

Rogue Jedi

sounds like a real scumbag. though i hear just as many blacks calling us whites "honkey" and "cracker."

botankus

laughing out loud

Yeah, I recall that, too.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by botankus
laughing out loud

Yeah, I recall that, too.

I'm not Black; never said I was. Both my parents are from the Dominican Republic. I was born in N.Y. But I do have an indian brown complexion.

I'll post a pic up this week. Everyone'll finally get to see the Fistofthe North Star (He's quite handsome) just jokin'..

But yea. I could say i dunno, really, about my race. The natives of the Dominican Republic were these indians that definitely didn't look African so, but afterwards Africans were shipped there as slaves. So i'm not white. I have indian blood in me but I'm definitely not indian looking, even though my father's mother was a native of D.R. so my ancestors must've come from Africa and D.R. so...I guess i'm afro-carribean. If that's what you wanna call it. I just say Latino.

Robtard
Originally posted by Rogue Jedi
sounds like a real scumbag. though i hear just as many blacks calling us whites "honkey" and "cracker."

As "white boys" we don't have feelings and we're supposed to just smile and suck it up...

botankus
Originally posted by Robtard
As "white boys" we don't have feelings and we're supposed to just smile and suck it up...

On the contrary. I have this rare condition where my emotions freeze up at the mere mention of the word "cracker." I turn into an emotionless statue everytime I am called a particular name and/or eat a Ritz.

manorastroman
comparing the impact of the word n*gger to the word cracker or honky is utterly ridiculous. you're making everyone look bad.

FeceMan

You probably deserved it.

Soleran
comparing the impact of the word n*gger to the word cracker or honky is utterly ridiculous. you're making everyone look bad.

Seriously, stop the madness here.

FistOfThe North

But seriously, how can it bother you. I mean..

Look that's ignorant. My bad. Don't even answer that question.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by FeceMan
You probably deserved it.

Why cause of my skin hue. Well..it is a reason afterall, isn't it.

Robtard

We can agree that on the surface, they're just words? But, they are both often used to demean a person. So what's the difference? Think before you knee-jerk response.

FeceMan
Why cause of my skin hue. Well..it is a reason afterall, isn't it.
No, because you look for any opportunity to demonize whites.

Robtard
But seriously, how can it bother you. I mean..

Look that's ignorant. My bad. Don't even answer that question.

I think I will regardless...

When a black person calls another black person a "n!gger" it isn't insulting because "we" know the intent to hurt isn't there. But when a white/non-black says "n!gger", it's often meant to insult.

So why would it be any different when a black person (or other) calls a white person a cracker? Regardless of the word, the intent is to harm/insult.

FistOfThe North

Yea cause apparently the guy on the train somehow definitely knew this about me and decided to say "fcukin' n*gger".

lol look, I don't look for opportunities to demonize anyone. I look for opportunities to expose racism its practitioners, no matter the race.

Well, i don't look for 'em. The just happen to and upon me.

FistOfThe North
I think I will regardless...

When a black person calls another black person a "n!gger" it isn't insulting because "we" know the intent to hurt isn't there. But when a white/non-black says "n!gger", it's often meant to insult.

So why would it be any different when a black person (or other) calls a white person a cracker? Regardless of the word, the intent is to harm/insult.

Because there isn't anything like insults like cracker to fall back on. On many levels. See, n*gger has it's (ugly) history while White aimed racist insults like cracker, or redneck, don't. It's like "so?..so what."

It does have it's own history but it's not one of never-ending pain, blood, sweat, tears and humiliation, like the word n*gger is..

Soleran
Because there isn't anything like insults like cracker to fall back on. On many levels. See, n*gger has it's (ugly) history while White aimed racist insults like cracker, or redneck, don't. It's like "so?..so what."

It does have it's own history but it's not one of never-ending pain, blood, sweat, tears and humiliation, like the word n*gger is..

I knew that would come up and it's still weak.

botankus
What's the racist term for a smurf?

Robtard

Like I said "whites boys are supposed to just smile and suck it up"... Words are just words, as noted; if a black guy calls you a "n!gger" you don't get insulted because you know the intent to insult/hurt isn't there; but it is still the same word. So why when a black person calls a white person a word like "cracker" (any word) with the intent to insult/harm is it any different and/or not racist?

Last time I checked no one alive today was a slave, knows a slave, ever knew a slave, owned a slave, knew someone that owned a slave or faced anything that the slaves of the 1800's faced. Millions and millions of "white boys" died to free those black slaves of long ago; blacks certainly were in no condition to and they certainly did not free themselves, I suggest you let it go.

Lord Urizen

He's probably some poor drunken bum who has nothing going for him.(like Feceman) Don't let it bother you, have you no reason to apologize for who you are.

I've been "f*ggot" hundreds of times, as well as "sp*c" and "fkn guido"....but i dont let it bother me, in fact I get flattered now, because I am proud to be Gay, Hispanic, and Italian.

Be proud of who you are, some idiot calls you a n*gger, just say "yeah, and what"

Show him that it bothers you, and it makes his day.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Soleran
I knew that would come up and it's still weak.

And that may've been why i didn't want to ask about it at first but it was still responded to. But i don't think it's really that weak.

Yea, both words are intended to hurt, but c'mon. Cracker in no way is as impactful as the word n*gger is.

I could go out in the street right now and casually, among a diverse people, say/chant the word cracker, repeatedly and it wouldn't even be a bother. I think if a Black person chanted it out there like that, there's a very good chance that probably nothing will happen. Even if the guy was a twerp that even the wind can blow over. Now. As a White guy, go out among the same diverse crowd (Whites included) and chant "n*gger" repeatedly, and at the minimum, guaranteed, you'd quickly get an unfavorable response or reaction. Some Whites may even look at you disgustingly.

Now why is that...?

Robtard
And that may've been why i didn't want to ask about it at first but it was still responded to. But i don't think it's really that weak.

Yea, both words are intended to hurt, but c'mon. Cracker in no way is as impactful as the word n*gger is.

I could go out in the street right now and casually, among a diverse people, say/chant the word cracker, repeatedly and it wouldn't even be a bother. I think if a Black person chanted it out there like that, there's a very good chance that probably nothing will happen. Even if the guy was a twerp that even the wind can blow over. Now. As a White guy, go out among the same diverse crowd (Whites included) and chant "n*gger" repeatedly, and at the minimum, guaranteed, you'd quickly get an unfavorable response or reaction. Some Whites may even look at you disgustingly.

Now why is that...?

Double standard B.S. that's why...

The word(s) itself is just a word, the intent behind it what is the issue. Why can't you understand that.

ragesRemorse
dont take it personally. Assholes exist. There is a racist person for every other one their is out there. By doing what you did...Nothing. you contribute positivity to the world. this makes less assholes in the world. We all are challenged with issues of these monumental minutness experiences everyday. Sucks that it ruined your day, but try not to think of it as a race thing and more of a hate thing. people hate. Some people just live to hate, others live to love, and some die while trying to teach

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Lord Urizen
He's probably some poor drunken bum who has nothing going for him.(like Feceman) Don't let it bother you, have you no reason to apologize for who you are.

I've been "f*ggot" hundreds of times, as well as "sp*c" and "fkn guido"....but i dont let it bother me, in fact I get flattered now, because I am proud to be Gay, Hispanic, and Italian.

Be proud of who you are, some idiot calls you a n*gger, just say "yeah, and what"

Stay proud, brother.

I only wish I was that strong. I mean, i don't think i can ever be called a racist slur and react or respond happily or become flattered by it or just brush it off. And i'm not trying to sound like a sissy but i dunno, it hurts inside, too much, to just say just "and?" or "so what?" case that's not the case... It's not. With me it's more like "wtf why?"

I dunno. I just wanna be looked at as normal that's it cause it' what i am. I'm more than the skin color i am.

ragesRemorse
maybe you should try to start being less normal.?? just be you and stop caring what others think. find your own way

soin2cal
It is terrible how people come out with such language. People wouldnt come to me and say that, only those college students that find it funny to bully.

botankus
Originally posted by soin2cal
It is terrible how people come out with such language. People wouldnt come to me and say that, only those college students that find it funny to bully.
Wimp. stick out tongue

soin2cal
I dont know what this means personally, whats on the ttle...whats wrong with it?
I havent heard it before.
LOL!

Soleran
What's the racist term for a smurf?

Soleran, duh!

ragesRemorse
if people remarks really bother you that much, confront them. otherwise your a pussy?

botankus
Originally posted by soin2cal
I dont know what this means personally, whats on the ttle...whats wrong with it?
I havent heard it before.
LOL!

Rent Menace II Society. You'll hear it alot.

FistOfThe North
The word(s) itself is just a word, the intent behind it what is the issue. Why can't you understand that.

Probably for the same reason that you still can't understand that the malintent behind the slur "cracker" is not as offensive as the malintent behind the word "n*gger".

Ok, sure. Both are demeaning. Both are equal in that they both aim to demean. That i understand and agree upon with you but lets, for a sec, put aside this fact and ask how important is that fact compared to the profundity of the meaning of the words. Meaning the depth of pain caused by the word. Remember, beside the fact that both are demeaning.

?

Soleran

Now why is that...?

Because some people like to give value to words, more importantly folks like to play victims and point fingers!

Stay proud, brother.

I only wish I was that strong. I mean, i don't think i can ever be called a racist slur and react or respond happily or become flattered by it or just brush it off. And i'm not trying to sound like a sissy but i dunno, it hurts inside, too much, to just say just "and?" or "so what?" case that's not the case... It's not. With me it's more like "wtf why?"

I dunno. I just wanna be looked at as normal that's it cause it' what i am. I'm more than the skin color i am.

Lol yeah but the racist term cracker isn't supposed to incite the same emotional response, lol.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by JacopeX
Why not? It is known as a very heart pounding insult.

Yeah, by A white person. Not the entire caucasian "race".

-AC

manorastroman
We can agree that on the surface, they're just words? But, they are both often used to demean a person. So what's the difference? Think before you knee-jerk response.

come on. do better than that. words are far more than their surface and more than their intent; one must also consider how they are received, which is the more pertinent issue in this case. words are a two way street, and i have never met anybody offended by the term "cracker", unless they were just being douche-y. illogical though it may be, you have to consider the way some words mean immeasurably more than others.

words are not only sounds to be digested, they are the primary medium by which a person connects to the outside world. they have a unique weight and gravity.

by your logic, jerry spinelli's "maniac magee" is qualitatively the same as shakespear's "hamlet", because they are both collections of words describing a tragic character.

Capt_Fantastic

Sucks, doesn't it? To be called an insulting name. It pisses you off, doesn't it? But deciding all white people are responsible for this jerks actions isn't any different than what he did. However, it sounds to me like he had some mental issues. There are people like that everywhere, it's better to just feel sorry for them.

King Nothing
You did the right thing. No need to make yourself look like a damned fool for someone else's stupidity. Although, I think if you assaulted the gentleman you wouldn't be in the wrong.

Remember, violence is sometime understandable but it is almost never the right thing to do.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Soleran
Because some people like to give value to words, more importantly folks like to play victims and point fingers!

Lol yeah but the racist term cracker isn't supposed to incite the same emotional response, lol.

Alright Soleran. So tell me. How should I or a normal person react or respond to a White person whom, out the blue, calls me a n*gger, without feeling that humiliating and stinging pain my chest. Ignoring it is so undignifying to me. I hate that I ignored him..

I was angry earlier because i didn't do anything at all about the situation. I hated how i felt inside cause the feeling sucked and it happened to me the way it did and i walked away with wounded unnecessarily while he easily got away with it. Ignoring it made the feeling worse. So scratch that out.

FeceMan

Hahaha, guido.

Blue_Hefner

Nigga means ignorant, so don't be offended no matter how it was used. Everyone is a nigga.

soin2cal
I havent heard it much at all because people dont always say stuff like that and there arent many many blacks around here. However picking on peoples coloring is wrong.

Robtard
come on. do better than that. words are far more than their surface and more than their intent; one must also consider how they are received, which is the more pertinent issue in this case. words are a two way street, and i have never met anybody offended by the term "cracker", unless they were just being douche-y. illogical though it may be, you have to consider the way some words mean immeasurably more than others.

words are not only sounds to be digested, they are the primary medium by which a person connects to the outside world. they have a unique weight and gravity.

by your logic, jerry spinelli's "maniac magee" is qualitatively the same as shakespear's "hamlet", because they are both collections of words describing a tragic character.

No need for better, the logic is sound...

Words are just words. If not, then a black person should be just as equally offended when another black person calls them "n!gger" if the word has meaning/carries the weight and not the intent behind it. No?

As far as your comparison, that would be subjective. Someone may actually be moved more by Maniac Magee... I for one prefer Hamlet.

Alpha Centauri
Alright Soleran. So tell me. How should I or a normal person react or respond to a White person whom, out the blue, calls me a n*gger, without feeling that humiliating and stinging pain my chest. Ignoring it is so undignifying to me. I hate that I ignored him..

I was angry earlier because i didn't do anything at all about the situation. I hated how i felt inside cause the feeling sucked and it happened to me the way it did and i walked away with wounded unnecessarily while he easily got away with it. Ignoring it made the feeling worse. So scratch that out.

To be honest, if anybody of any race calls me a cracker or a honkey, and it has happened, I just find it a bit embarassing. They clearly think those words are able to offend me.

If you bear in mind that the people calling you a "n*gger" are dumb idiots who either don't know any better or just aren't worth the time, it's easy to ignore. Obviously if people are so in your face with it, intrusive, then it's harder, but someone shouting it out, I'd just have walked on.

The very fact that he said "Whatcha gonna do about it?" implies he wanted a reaction.

-AC

Soleran

How you react and the meaning you give that word is entirely up to you. I can tell you I would learn to associate different values to the word *igger if I was you. So many folks today are brainwashed on the value of that word and more specifically the value of that word when spoken by the "white" race.

Frankly I find it more insulting when someone looks to "weigh" certain discriminitory words and say one is better then the other or less hurtful, when obviously the only judge of that is the person being called said slight.

manorastroman
No need for better, the logic is sound...

Words are just words. If not, then a black person should be just as equally offended when another black person calls them "n!gger" if the word has meaning/carries the weight and not the intent behind it. No?

one must also consider how they are received, which is the more pertinent issue in this case. words are a two way street, and i have never met anybody offended by the term "cracker", unless they were just being douche-y.

As far as your comparison, that would be subjective. Someone may actually be moved more by Maniac Magee... I for one prefer Hamlet.

not the subjectivity thing again. somebody being moved more by maniac magee says MUCH more about the person in question than it does about maniac magee.

MightyEInherjar
Racial tension is hilarious.

There's a black guy I spar with every week or so, and we'll both go to a mall or something and play up the whole "every white hates blacks, every black hates whites" thing.

In one incident, he was getting a drink from one of the places in the food court, and I stood about 10 feet away from him and yelled, "you f*cking n*igger!!" He dropped his drink, walked over to me and yelled, "you cracka-ass honkey!" Now, we're both pretty big guys, he's built like a 6' 2" barrel, and I'm the same height, and was 215 at the time. We both stared each other down and got all in each others face, and everyone in the courtyard was dead quiet.

People had stopped talking to each other and everyone was looking, and one of the people at the Orange Juilius was calling security saying that "we have two potentially armed troublemakers."

We both stared at each other for a little while longer, looking as pissed as possible, then both broke out laughing our asses off. Everyone was so confused they didn't know what to do, and we just sat down laughing and started eating our food.

botankus
Originally posted by MightyEInherjar
In one incident, he was getting a drink from one of the places in the food court, and I stood about 10 feet away from him and yelled, "you f*cking n*igger!!" He dropped his drink, walked over to me and yelled, "you cracka-ass honkey!" Now, we're both pretty big guys, he's built like a 6' 2" barrel, and I'm the same height, and was 215 at the time. We both stared each other down and got all in each others face, and everyone in the courtyard was dead quiet.

That sounds like a lot of fun. no expression wacko

Soleran
That sounds like a lot of fun. no expression wacko

That would be great, I'm going to be the asian guy this time though.

Robtard
not the subjectivity thing again. somebody being moved more by maniac magee says MUCH more about the person in question than it does about maniac magee.

And how does that pertain to the topic?\

Fact is, "n!gger" and "cracker" are the same, they are both words which are often used to insult/harm.

Another double standard example:

Black guy calls a white guy "white boy"; no one blinks an eye.

White guy calls a black guy "black boy"; people yell "Racist cracker!" "You racist piece of shit!" etc. etc. etc.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Capt_Fantastic
Sucks, doesn't it? To be called an insulting name. It pisses you off, doesn't it? But deciding all white people are responsible for this jerks actions isn't any different than what he did. However, it sounds to me like he had some mental issues. There are people like that everywhere, it's better to just feel sorry for them.

It's the worst feeling. Like a figurative stab in the heart, Capt. This white hot anger overcame me and, honestly, i felt inferior. The 2 mixed and caused me to think irrationally by idiotically seeing those bullseyes on other Whites. But more than feeling as bad as that, i can't stand being irrational. I dunno. Logic just somehow tastes way better to me.

manorastroman
why do you keep ignoring the receptive half of language? that's twice now.

i can't believe i'm playing this role, but...have you ever heard of "white privilege"? it's not a concept i really buy into, but there's a reason nobody would care if a black guy called a white guy "white boy". it's no less racist, but it is less meaningful.

ragesRemorse
sounds like you have some issues you need to work out yourself north.

Lord Urizen
Hahaha, guido.

What's so funny ? Some people don't like em....

Robtard
why do you keep ignoring the receptive half of language? that's twice now.

i can't believe i'm playing this role, but...have you ever heard of "white privilege"? it's not a concept i really buy into, but there's a reason nobody would care if a black guy called a white guy "white boy". it's no less racist, but it is less meaningful.

I am not ignoring.

So you agree that words in themselves are just words or no?

If you don't really buy into it, why bring it up? It should be as it is; a non-issue.

Lord Urizen
Stay proud, brother.

I think that is because Black people have been discriminated against far more severely than European and Hispanic minorites, even more than Gay people have been discriminated against.

If not, then I don't know.

I used to hate being Gay...i used to think it was like a disease, or like there was something wrong with it. I finally got over it when I saw that tons of Gay people are proud and live happily with who they are. I got jealous of those kind of Gay Guys who had that freedom, so I wanted to be more like them, rather than less like them.

I was always proud to be Hispanic and Italian, so those racial slurs never bothered me. If you look at the thread I made "Do I look Guido", you'd be surprised how many people said I do, and regarded it as some sort of negative thing, like it was something to make fun of.

Here in New York, being Hispanic or Italian is considered sexy, not something to be ashamed of. Yet on KMC, in the OTF apparently, looking Guido is a "no no" lol

It's all relative. Don't pay that old drunken fart anymind.... tell him to get his ****ing prostate checked or something

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

I have issues? Why, because i became angry for being called a n*gger?

I can't tell you that i am regular and sane guy. I don't know about you but I found it completely natural for me to become upset at that guy.

I have nothing to work out. He probably does though.

Lord Urizen
Originally posted by ragesRemorse

And what issues would those be ?

FeceMan
STAY LOUD 'N' PROUD BRUTHAS

PEACE

WEST SIDE 4 LYFE

FistOfThe North

I used to hate being Gay...i used to think it was like a disease, or like there was something wrong with it. I finally got over it when I saw that tons of Gay people are proud and live happily with who they are. I got jealous of those kind of Gay Guys who had that freedom, so I wanted to be more like them, rather than less like them.

I was always proud to be Hispanic and Italian, so those racial slurs never bothered me. If you look at the thread I made "Do I look Guido", you'd be surprised how many people said I do, and regarded it as some sort of negative thing, like it was something to make fun of.

Here in New York, being Hispanic or Italian is considered sexy, not something to be ashamed of. Yet on KMC, in the OTF apparently, looking Guido is a "no no" lol

It's all relative. Don't pay that old drunken fart anymind.... tell him to get his ****ing prostate checked or something

Yea, he's past me now. The pains now gone. Thanks to you and everyone else on this thread for hearing me out when you all didn't have to. I'll even praise the critics for making me see both sides.

But pathetically enough, I, at times, used to think that having non-white skin was a handicap. That I would never get anywhere cause of it but I got off that crap and ironically enough, and fortunately, i ended up proving myself wrong. I've been doing good so far, i guess. i mean, i'm getting ready to pick up my second business degree his May and i'm still in my 20's, with good credit and no kids, i'm healthy as hell, with a good tightly-knit Spanish family and a bright outlook on life.

That's pretty hopeful, i guess. Maybe i could dwell on the good whenever bad happens. It always makes me feel good when i think about how nice things may turn out in life whenever the skies are grey.

Lord Urizen
Yea, he's past me now. The pains now gone. Thanks to you and everyone else on this thread for hearing me out when you all didn't have to. I'll even praise the critics for making me see both sides.

But pathetically enough, I, at times, used to think that having non-white skin was a handicap. That I would never get anywhere cause of it but I got off that crap and ironically enough, and fortunately, i ended up proving myself wrong. I've been doing good so far, i guess. i mean, i'm getting ready to pick up my second business degree his May and i'm still in my 20's, with good credit and no kids, i'm healthy as hell, with a good tightly-knit Spanish family and a bright outlook on life.

That's pretty hopeful, i guess. Maybe i could dwell on the good whenever bad happens. It always makes me feel good when i think about how nice things may turn out in life whenever the skies are grey.

That's a good out look thumb up

Lord Urizen
STAY LOUD 'N' PROUD BRUTHAS

PEACE

WEST SIDE 4 LYFE

Whose your idol ? Ted Haggard ? eek!

FeceMan
Whose your idol ? Ted Haggard ? eek!
I propositioned you multiple times last night for a reason, duuuh.

Lord Urizen
I propositioned you multiple times last night for a reason, duuuh.

duster

Soleran

That's pretty hopeful, i guess. Maybe i could dwell on the good whenever bad happens. It always makes me feel good when i think about how nice things may turn out in life whenever the skies are grey. Originally posted by Lord Urizen
That's a good out look thumb up

FeceMan
I like how FotN thought it necessary to include the year.

Lord Urizen
I like how FotN thought it necessary to include the year.

Why do you constantly pick on him ? erm

manorastroman
I am not ignoring.

So you agree that words in themselves are just words or no?

If you don't really buy into it, why bring it up? It should be as it is; a non-issue.

this is not a question of "words in themselves" (i'm actually not even sure what you mean by that), but more that a word was said with intent and received as such.

and i bring it up because it's the closest thing i am aware of to articulating the concept in question. are you denying that a white man referring to a black man as a n*gger is more meaningful (note: not more racist, more meaninful) than a black man referring to a white man as a cracker? if so, i have an excellent word for you, "in itself": obstinate.

Robtard
this is not a question of "words in themselves" (i'm actually not even sure what you mean by that), but more that a word was said with intent and received as such.

and i bring it up because it's the closest thing i am aware of to articulating the concept in question. are you denying that a white man referring to a black man as a n*gger is more meaningful (note: not more racist, more meaninful) than a black man referring to a white man as a cracker? if so, i have an excellent word for you, "in itself": obstinate.

There you go, the intent is what matters not the word itself; that's what I've been saying all along.

They are both equal (previously stated) as they are both being used to insult/harm/demean another. What part of that can't you grasp?

Quiero Mota

Capt_Fantastic
Originally posted by Quiero Mota
And about the whole equal argument, notice how the N-word is censored on this website as well as on T.V. and radio, where as cracker ain't.

Damn fine point.

Lord Urizen

lord xyz
I'm not racist against Whites Looking at your posts on KMC, you are. What you don't realise is that is just one nutter who was pissed off at something (most likely you) and ****** was the only insult he could think of. Then he didn't look at you because he realised what he said was bad. I ask you, why are you telling us? Don't we get enough of your bitching?

Robtard

They're not equally as offensive. Call a White person a cracker and they'll just scoff it off. They know theyre White and the dominant race, and that gives them comfort and security.

Is that because it's fact or because you think "white people" should just not be offended at racism directed at them because they are white? Dominant race... LOL

Originally posted by Quiero Mota And about the whole equal argument, notice how the N-word is censored on this website as well as on T.V. and radio, where as cracker ain't.

Exactly, damn "fine point"; it's called a double standard and it's pure B.S.

FistOfThe North

Strangelove
They're not equally as offensive. Call a White person a cracker and they'll just scoff it off. They know theyre White and the dominant race, and that gives them comfort and security.

And about the whole equal argument, notice how the N-word is censored on this website as well as on T.V. and radio, where as cracker ain't. The words themselves are equally offensive in their intent. The difference is that black people choose to take offense at the word ****** because they have attached a meaning to it that they pretend means something to them. Like Rob said, no one alive today has had anything to do with slaves. Most black people alive today were barely alive during the Civil Rights Era either. So why do they continue to attach a meaning to it? To exploit white guilt.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by lord xyz
Looking at your posts on KMC, you are.

I ask you, why are you telling us? Don't we get enough of your bitching?

w/e man. And i already answered that question in a previous post, lordy.

Robtard
Llo le queria pegar, duro, pero no. No lo hice. I'm not like, man. To just suddenly wail on someone for a name call. I could see if i was physically threatened, but na. No valio la pena, mano. Adema, llo creo, que el estabe borracho, hablandole disparate al piso. So I just let it go.

no biggie.

Answer honestly... if the guy had not been "burly", say he was a skinny frail looking guy you knew without a doubt you could beat into a pulp; would you have said something back?

chithappens

FistOfThe North
Answer honestly... if the guy had not been "burly", say he was a skinny frail looking guy you knew without a doubt you could beat into a pulp; would you have said something back?

If he was a small, skinny guy than, to me, that'd be more of a reason not to hit him. I won't fight someone who i can easily beat up. However if a person like that became a constant nuisance or irritant, at most, i'd just slap him silly or slam the sh* outta him, but to beat him up, na. C'mon. That's not very manly. I always though beating someone up who you know is absolutely no match for you is just as cowardly as hitting a women is.

Now this burly guy, i know i would've taken him on. He look tired, semi-depressed, kinda drunk, he was showing some grays with a belly that looked 4 months pregnant. All i thought about was all the attention i would've attracted if i'd'a gone at this guy, and i hate big scenes, but i was in no way afraid to fight him, it's just, it wasn't worth it to me.

FistOfThe North

Opps, i misread.

Would I have said something back if he was a smaller guy? I would've just waited to see what else he'd say (or do) just like i did with the big guy.

It depends on the outcome. If the skinny guy continued on and on with me i would said some thing back. Just like with the bigger guy. If he would've kept on i would've react or responded but he didn't do that. He looked away. And didn't say anything else and just kept on mumbling. But had the big guy (or skinny guy) had gotten up, talking like that, i'd'a instantly lock into defense mode to ready myself for anything.

TRH

I'll admit, i wasn't myself coming in. I'm not racist against Whites but every White person I've seen so far today had a bullseye on their face that i wanted to punch a bloody hole through. I guess i'm ok now..I still don't think all Whites are racist, but why is this stuff still going on? Why is this stuff still happening to me...in 2007, in the U.S. I mean, I didn't do anything to that guy. wow,tis a shame that happened,I am a scaliest and firmly opposed to racism and sexism in all forms,and one of my best friends is black,what a shame

Alpha Centauri
And about the whole equal argument, notice how the N-word is censored on this website as well as on T.V. and radio, where as cracker ain't.

They're not equally as offensive.

-AC

Mindship
Yup. I'm just a normal guy here Boston...

You did the right thing. Pity that other guy; he's not happy in his world.

BackFire
How would cracker be censored? What if someone was merely talking about a real cracker, like Ritz or Wheat Thins, censoring that word wouldn't allow for such talk, and I think we can all agree, that would be a great loss.

Flame On!!
Originally posted by Mindship
You did the right thing. Pity that other guy; he's not happy in his world.

Agreed. Any kind of prejudice is a bad thing.

-FO!!

Bardock42
Originally posted by BackFire
How would cracker be censored? What if someone was merely talking about a real cracker, like Ritz or Wheat Thins, censoring that word wouldn't allow for such talk, and I think we can all agree, that would be a great loss.

Well, I can see that, but about censoring ******, I wonder what happens if someone would want a discussion about black people?

vandergirl
Fistofthenorth, I am sorry that you had to go through that horrible, uncomfortable situation.

Let me say this much....I am bi-racial (mom-very white, dad-black) and I am married to a white man. The most wonderful man for me. However I would have married any color man if he treated me the way my husband does. I can't tell you how many times a Black man had criticized me for marrying a white man.

I even believe that because of my name (Tanesha) that I wasn't hired at certain jobs (but that's hard to prove) because it's sounds like a black name when in fact most people think I look spanish.

So Remember this whites are not the only ones out there that are racist, Keep in mind that for you the word Ni**er is offensive but to other black men/women it's ok to use with their buddies which I think is crap.

I have a mixed child who very much looks completely black and I get highly pi**ed off when his older IGNORANT cousins think it's ok to use the word in fun. Everyone needs to stop using the word in any and all forms.

So the next time someone offends you do what I do ............
look at them and in the sweetest, nicest way possible say "GROW UP"!

It will piss them off because you were the better person in the situation and Kindness Kills (I am serious it works)

I work at the front desk of a hotel and I kill with kindness everyday.

Be Strong, Be you!

Inspectah Deck
I'm not Black; never said I was. Both my parents are from the Dominican Republic. I was born in N.Y. But I do have an indian brown complexion.

I'll post a pic up this week. Everyone'll finally get to see the Fistofthe North Star (He's quite handsome) just jokin'..

But yea. I could say i dunno, really, about my race. The natives of the Dominican Republic were these indians that definitely didn't look African so, but afterwards Africans were shipped there as slaves. So i'm not white. I have indian blood in me but I'm definitely not indian looking, even though my father's mother was a native of D.R. so my ancestors must've come from Africa and D.R. so...I guess i'm afro-carribean. If that's what you wanna call it. I just say Latino.

or part haitian

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by vandergirl
Fistofthenorth, I am sorry that you had to go through that horrible, uncomfortable situation.

Let me say this much....I am bi-racial (mom-very white, dad-black) and I am married to a white man. The most wonderful man for me. However I would have married any color man if he treated me the way my husband does. I can't tell you how many times a Black man had criticized me for marrying a white man.

I even believe that because of my name (Tanesha) that I wasn't hired at certain jobs (but that's hard to prove) because it's sounds like a black name when in fact most people think I look spanish.

So Remember this whites are not the only ones out there that are racist, Keep in mind that for you the word Ni**er is offensive but to other black men/women it's ok to use with their buddies which I think is crap.

I have a mixed child who very much looks completely black and I get highly pi**ed off when his older IGNORANT cousins think it's ok to use the word in fun. Everyone needs to stop using the word in any and all forms.

So the next time someone offends you do what I do ............
look at them and in the sweetest, nicest way possible say "GROW UP"!

It will piss them off because you were the better person in the situation and Kindness Kills (I am serious it works)

I work at the front desk of a hotel and I kill with kindness everyday.

Be Strong, Be you!

Thanks. I'll keep what you said, in mind and utilize it according to me, in the best way possible.

FistOfThe North
Originally posted by Inspectah Deck
or part haitian

True. I could be part Haitian, too. But it still falls under Afro-Caribbean anyway, so.

manorastroman
There you go, the intent is what matters not the word itself; that's what I've been saying all along.

They are both equal (previously stated) as they are both being used to insult/harm/demean another. What part of that can't you grasp?

what part of it can't i grasp? some nerve, guy. i've been saying intent is part of it since the beginning. why can't you grasp that it GOES BOTH WAYS, and intent is only half the deal, as i initially said? the more important issue in this case is the way a word is received. ignore that point one more time and i'll start to wonder. hell, i'm already wondering. you dodged a very simple question: do you think it's equally meaningful when a white man calls a black man n*gger, as opposed to when a black man calls a white man cracker?

it's like coaxing a "progressive" brick wall.

Robtard
what part of it can't i grasp? some nerve, guy. i've been saying intent is part of it since the beginning. why can't you grasp that it GOES BOTH WAYS, and intent is only half the deal, as i initially said? the more important issue in this case is the way a word is received. ignore that point one more time and i'll start to wonder. hell, i'm already wondering. you dodged a very simple question: do you think it's equally meaningful when a white man calls a black man n*gger, as opposed to when a black man calls a white man cracker?

it's like coaxing a "progressive" brick wall.

How do I "dodge" when I directly answered the question with:

"They are both equal (previously stated) as they are both being used to insult/harm/demean another."

Just because a one person willingly decides to take offense or imply greater meaning doesn't make either word more or less "meaningful.
Like I said, why is it okay when a black person calls another black person a "n!gger"? Because in that scenario, the person being called a racist term doesn't take offense. It's all about the intent behind the word, the word itself is just a word, intent is the whole deal. That part you can't grasp.

vandergirl
hey Just curious and totally off the subject .......... How do I get mt picture attachment to show big like most of yours?

chithappens

"They are both equal (previously stated) as they are both being used to insult/harm/demean another."

Just because a one person willingly decides to take offense or imply greater meaning doesn't make either word more or less "meaningful.
Like I said, why is it okay when a black person calls another black person a "n!gger"? Because in that scenario, the person being called a racist term doesn't take offense. It's all about the intent behind the word, the word itself is just a word, intent is the whole deal. That part you can't grasp.

My last post was skipped entirely

manorastroman

are you really stupid, or do you just disagree? because intent is very much not the whole deal, that's the whole point i've been trying to make. do honestly believe that the way a word is received has no effect on it's meaning, that only intent matters? actually, the two options i provided coincide in this case; it's stupidly obvious to just about everybody that, though black--->white slurs are just as racist as white---->black slurs, they aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of meaning.

i want you to state it very plainly. say specifically that you find the two cases equally MEANINGFUL, not just "equal". because they are equal in many respects. just not the most meaningful one, being, somewhat ironically, meaning.

vandergirl
chithappens I read your post and make some good points don't think nobody read it ......I did!

chithappens
are you really stupid, or do you just disagree? because intent is very much not the whole deal, that's the whole point i've been trying to make. do honestly believe that the way a word is received has no effect on it's meaning, that only intent matters? actually, the two options i provided coincide in this case; it's stupidly obvious to just about everybody that thought black--->white slurs are just as racist as white---->black slurs, they aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of meaning.

i want you to state it very plainly. say specifically that you find the two cases equally MEANINGFUL, not just "equal". because they are equal in many respects. just not the most meaningful one, being, somewhat ironically, meaning.

Meaning is not equal. In different regions of the U.S., people are going to feel the word different. Depending on where somewhere grew up and so on, it will affect them different.

Intent is equal.

chithappens
chithappens I read your post and make some good points don't think nobody read it ......I did!

You write something long and you would think people assume it to be helpful/insightful to the conversation. What a waste rolling on floor laughing

heru

Sorry to hear what happen to you man i think you did the right thing by not hitting him. I can relate because it has happen to me on the subway as well, the only difference is this prick had the heart to inflict body contact. Not only did he call me a ****** as he stood across from me and smiled in my face, but on his way getting off the train he deliberately stepped on my foot and brushed me with his shoulder. So I grabbed him by his stringy hair and pulled him in to my clutches putting him in my famous choke hold, trying to snuff the life out that dude. Fortunately for him witnesses broke it up, it felt great though. Bet his ass will think twice next time he wants to disrespect someone.

Quiero Mota
Is that because it's fact or because you think "white people" should just not be offended at racism directed at them because they are white?

Whether they should or should not take offense to it is another ballgame, but the fact is they don't. I've observed it myself on more than one occasion.

Dominant race... LOL

Yes, White is the dominant race in the U.S. Both numerically and culturally.

How does it not get anymore dominant that?

Quiero Mota

vandergirl
So I grabbed him by his stringy hair and pulled him in to my clutches putting him in my famous choke hold, trying to snuff the life out that dude. ................

This sounds like a line from a movie!sly

However I am not criticizing your post.

chithappens

Lord Urizen
I am pretty shocked at how many of you guys are critisizing FistoftheNorth for venting his situation to us....

He's in pain...you can see that. Something horrible happened to him, something that no one should have to go through. And instead of showing sympathy and support, some of you guys are insulting him even further (Feceman and Lord xyz...but then again, I expect no better from either of you f*ckers)

FistoftheNorth....I hope those of us who displayed a more positive role in your response helped, but you shouldn't depend on any of us to strengthen you.

That strength has to come from yourself.

KMC is full of a lot of assh*les, and very few people are actually going to care....even those who seem to care only care because its an issue that hits home (Quiero Mota...he's an overweight Mexican...ofcourse he's been through sh*t like this before)

Whenever I myself hear of injustice like this, it fkn drives me nuts, but to the point where I absord the negativity and then repel it back....

If you feel the need to vent on KMC, then do so...but do not expect answers or solutions from any of us. Nothing any of us say or do will change that situation. You have to find your own way to deal with this, and you have to grow from it yourself.

FeceMan
Urizen: calm yourself.

The guy was obviously mentally ill.

vandergirl
Lord Urizen,

(Quiero Mota...he's an overweight Mexican...of course he's been through sh*t like this before)

This didn't need to be said you say you are feeling bad about how fistofthenorth had is feeling hurt but you didn't hesitate in possibly hurting someone else's.

You are not right

Quiero Mota
Lord Urizen,

(Quiero Mota...he's an overweight Mexican...of course he's been through sh*t like this before)

This didn't need to be said you say you are feeling bad about how fistofthenorth had is feeling hurt but you didn't hesitate in possibly hurting someone else's.

You are not right

You honestly think I took offense to that??

vandergirl
I am making a point, I see you didn't unserstand that. GEEZ!

Lord Urizen
You honestly think I took offense to that??

No...that was not my intention. Why do you always think I aim to insult you ? erm

Lord Urizen
Lord Urizen,

You are not right

Quiero Mota and I know eachother already....he doesn't get insulted by things like that, the same way I couldn't care less if someone called me f@g....

vandergirl
Lord Urizen, he was talking to me, geez you guys are not following the forum or you just don't care

Lord Urizen
Urizen: calm yourself.

The guy was obviously mentally ill.

How do you know I am not calm ?

Secondly, FistoftheNorth was in obvious pain over this, and you were quick with you accusations about how he is trying to demonize white people....why can't you ever just be the bigger man ?

vandergirl
Lord Urizen

Ok so you just made my earlier post a reality, You don't mind when certain friends call you a f@g but if a stranger called you one you would be pi**ed.

This is why racism still exists, because according to some people certain words are ok to use with friends..........not a good idea!

chithappens
Lord Urizen

Ok so you just made my earlier post a reality, You don't mind when certain friends call you a f@g but if a stranger called you one you would be pi**ed.

This is why racism still exists, because according to some people certain words are ok to use with friends..........not a good idea!

The vulgarity of words is based on intention.

A white man calling black man "boy" could be considered very vulgar 40 years ago.

The word shouldn't be used but the above comment should be kept in mind

Lord Urizen
Lord Urizen

My freinds don't call me a [email protected] totally misunderstood my point.

Strangers HAVE called me "homo", "f@g", tons of homophobic names. I've also been lashed with racial slurs ranging from serious slurs such as Spic to playful slurs such as Guido....

I couldn't care less....I don't give a sh*t if someone calls me any of those things, because I am completely proud of all of those things that I am. Any person who sees me being Gay, Hispanic, and/or Italian as a negative is a person of worthless standards, and I see it as no true issue.

SAme with Quiero Mota...you think he gives a shit if someone calls him a fat Mexican ? He is proud of who and what he is, and no one and nothing will make him feel any less.....

I think the difference between myself and FistoftheNorth is that I am not bombarded with racism and homophobia that often. FistoftheNorth is....the reason I can tolerate those stupid names is because people have also loved me for being Gay, Sp*c and Guido.....I have been complimented and flattered MORE for who I am, than I have been insulted.

Fist lives in a predominantly racist area. That's unfortunate, but everything that he is exposed to will have definate influence on his self esteem and emotional being....it's not his fault.

If I faced that multitude of discrimination, I'd be in muchh worse shape than I am today.

vandergirl
Let's keep in mind that just because because fist lives in a predominantly racist area doesn't mean he deals with it everyday. Besides he just post this forum just shortly ago because he was shocked which clearly states (shocked=surprised) that it doesn't happen all the time to him.

And Still ............................

This is why all forms of racism still exists, because according to some people certain words are ok to use with friends..........not a good idea!

FeceMan
Secondly, FistoftheNorth was in obvious pain over this, and you were quick with you accusations about how he is trying to demonize white people....why can't you ever just be the bigger man ?
FistoftheNorth routinely makes ridiculous claims about the evil white man. It wearies me.

chithappens
Let's keep in mind that just because because fist lives in a predominantly racist area doesn't mean he deals with it everyday. Besides he just post this forum just shortly ago because he was shocked which clearly states (shocked=surprised) that it doesn't happen all the time to him.

And Still ............................

This is why all forms of racism still exists, because according to some people certain words are ok to use with friends..........not a good idea!

Well I kinda agree but ethnostress is a sort of racism

Oncewhite

I didn't want to say anything, but I wonder if that guy picked up on your (first of the norths) THOUGHTS or your facial expression...you'll be surprised how much of our own private thoughts that leaks out either as someone else's intuition or your facial expression leaks out as a projected thought or emotional response to someone, that's why you can be upset at your computer, have the same expression of frustration and someone can easily think you are upset at them....again, your thoughts or facial expression may have rung really loud.

Robtard
are you really stupid, or do you just disagree? because intent is very much not the whole deal, that's the whole point i've been trying to make. do honestly believe that the way a word is received has no effect on it's meaning, that only intent matters? actually, the two options i provided coincide in this case; it's stupidly obvious to just about everybody that, though black--->white slurs are just as racist as white---->black slurs, they aren't even in the same ballpark in terms of meaning.

Ah.. resorting to petty insults, are we getting desperate as it's obvious I disagree with you hence the debate. Duh.

Let me ask you a question, why does a black person not get upset/it's not seen as an insult when another black person calls them a "n!gger"?

I couldn't care less what you want me to do, I answered your question twice now; if you don't like the answer because it doesn't flow with what you're foolishly trying to prove it isn't my fault.

Words are just words, the intent behind them is what makes them insulting, not the word itself or how someone recieves it. According to your logic, if I called someone "corn" and they "received" it offensively they'd I'd be in the wrong, when actually they'd be an idiot to do so as my intent to insult was not present.

Mr. Bacon
that guy was a douchebag then, prbly thr same guy who called my friend a ***** on the streets of boston for no reason, where do you go to school btw?

manorastroman
Ah.. resorting to petty insults, are we getting desperate as it's obvious I disagree with you hence the debate. Duh.

Let me ask you a question, why does a black person not get upset/it's not seen as an insult when another black person calls them a "n!gger"?

I couldn't care less what you want me to do, I answered your question twice now; if you don't like the answer because it doesn't flow with what you're foolishly trying to prove it isn't my fault.

Words are just words, the intent behind them is what makes them insulting, not the word itself or how someone recieves it. According to your logic, if I called someone "corn" and they "received" it offensively they'd I'd be in the wrong, when actually they'd be an idiot to do so as my intent to insult was not present.

i'm not getting desperate, i'm getting frustrated. mostly because you're using pure simplification and rhetoric, forgetting that this is a real world issue, not a logic-based one. i'm not disagreeing with you on the issue of intent being important, but you have to recognize the equal importance of reception. it's not a question of logic; it's a question of fact. the corn comparison is irrelevant because nobody is offended by the word corn. people are however more offended by the word n*gger than by the word cracker--this is a fact. the only logical explanation for this fact is that reception does, in fact, have something to do with a word, along with meaning and intent. though the intent of cracker is the same, the meaning and reception are universes apart from n*gger.

and you wouldn't be in the wrong, but the corn thing would force you to recognize the importance of reception, at least.

Robtard
i'm not getting desperate, i'm getting frustrated. mostly because you're using pure simplification and rhetoric, forgetting that this is a real world issue, not a logic-based one. i'm not disagreeing with you on the issue of intent being important, but you have to recognize the equal importance of reception. it's not a question of logic; it's a question of fact. the corn comparison is irrelevant because nobody is offended by the word corn. people are however more offended by the word n*gger than by the word cracker--this is a fact. the only logical explanation for this fact is that reception does, in fact, have something to do with a word, along with meaning and intent. though the intent of cracker is the same, the meaning and reception are universes apart from n*gger.

and you wouldn't be in the wrong, but the corn thing would force you to recognize the importance of reception, at least.

1) You didn't answer my question:

"Let me ask you a question, why does a black person not get upset/it's not seen as an insult when another black person calls them a "n!gger"?"

2) Reception is irrelevant, it's a double standard and it's B.S.. If a Black Man calls a White Man "Cracker" with all the intent to insult and harm as a White Man calling a Black Man a "N!gger", why is one lesser when the intent to insult/harm is the same? Would a Black Man calling a Latino a "Dirty Wetb@ck" differ, and how so? How about a Latino calling a Chinese Man a "Slant eyed ch!nk", and how so?

3) The corn scenario was to point out how trivial "reception" is.

manorastroman
i answered your question of by way of acknowledging the importance of intent; the black man is not offended because there was no intent of harm.

just because it's a double standard and BS (which i agree with) doesn't make it irrelevent. clearly it's not irrelevant or trivial, because it is fact that n*gger is a more incindiary term than cracker. i agree it's baloney (to an extent...there is the whole racial history of the term. and then the white privilege thing i only one tenth buy into), but thems the facts. all i've been saying is that reception and meaning (200 years of racial history and all) is the cause of the double standard.

you can't ignore the facts just because they're illogical (weird as that sounds).

"why is one lesser?" i've been answering that question this whole time. context, meaning, and reception. words are very complex, and certainly not just intent.

Robtard
i answered your question of by way of acknowledging the importance of intent; the black man is not offended because there was no intent of harm.

just because it's a double standard and BS (which i agree with) doesn't make it irrelevent. clearly it's not irrelevant or trivial, because it is fact that n*gger is a more incindiary term than cracker. i agree it's baloney (to an extent...there is the whole racial history of the term. and then the white privilege thing i only one tenth buy into), but thems the facts. all i've been saying is that reception and meaning (200 years of racial history and all) is the cause of the double standard.

you can't ignore the facts just because they're illogical (weird as that sounds).

Well, glad we can agree on that, the "intent".

No, it's not a fact, it's a fact that people try and make one word a greater insult than another. But factually they're both just words and intent is what gives them the power to insult/harm. Take the intent away and they're both just words.

The racial history argument is B.S., as noted; no one alive today had anything to do with slavery, and "white privilege" is a joke in this day and age.

You want me to agree with something that has no reasoning, validity, relevance or propriety? Sorry, but as Spock says, "That would be illogical."

BTW:
"If a Black Man calls a White Man "Cracker" with all the intent to insult and harm as a White Man calling a Black Man a "N!gger", why is one lesser when the intent to insult/harm is the same?"

Is the Black Man's intent somehow lesser?

chithappens
Sigh, I addressed this a long time ago.

Robtard
Originally posted by chithappens
Sigh, I addressed this a long time ago.

I apologize if you addressed me directly and I didn't respond, I must have missed it if so. Tell which page it's on and I'll go read it.

manorastroman
Well, glad we can agree on that, the "intent".

No, it's not a fact, it's a fact that people try and make one word a greater insult than another. But factually they're both just words and intent is what gives them the power to insult/harm. Take the intent away and they're both just words.

The racial history argument is B.S., as noted; no one alive today had anything to do with slavery, and "white privilege" is a joke in this day and age.

You want me to agree with something that has no reasoning, validity, relevance or propriety? Sorry, but as Spock says, "That would be illogical."

BTW:
"If a Black Man calls a White Man "Cracker" with all the intent to insult and harm as a White Man calling a Black Man a "N!gger", why is one lesser when the intent to insult/harm is the same?"

Is the Black Man's intent somehow lesser?

it is a fact. they are both words, but i guarantee you a good 80 percent of the population (at least) is vastly more offended by the word n*gger. and unless you misunderstand white privilege, it's no more or less bullshit today than it was thirty years ago. and i don't want you to agree, just acknowledge.

i can't believe you're not getting this. the intent isn't lesser, but there's more to words than intent. all racial issues aside, you must certainly recognize the place of context, meaning, and reception?

i'm not arguing any of this on a logical level, because race issues are some of the most illogical damn things humankind has to experience. i'm arguing this on the level of reality, which you don't seem to be getting.

"people are more offended by the word n*gger than the word cracker.

the REASON people are more offended by that word involves context, meaning, and reception." can you honestly argue this? disagree with the minutae all you want, but do you actually believe these two simple statements not to be the case?

Alpha Centauri
The word "N*gger" has an entire history that gives reason for offense, cracker doesn't.

Of course "reason for offense" depends on how easily offended you are. Some people know the history of the word and don't find it offensive, but I think it's naive to suggest that the words are equal.

"N*gger" isn't solely offensive just because it's a derogatory word aimed at black people, it's what the word means and implies.

-AC

((The_Anomaly))

Rogue Jedi
screw that. if a black guy calls me a cracker, then i am gonna call him a n***er. or something worse.

Bardock42
Awful lot of honkeys in here!

Rogue Jedi
?

vintageSW77
i got called white bastard once by a pakastani after i bumped into him in a stairway of a shopping precinct and i gripped the ****er
i felt the arrogance drain from him
he just whimpered sorry

screw name calling

everyones getting the shit
not just blacks
i get it all the time
maybe its my shaven head,harrington jkt and the Fred Perry polo shirts

England is an odd place to be at the mo

Bardock42
?

Well..it is a reference to a hilarious Family Guy flashback. Hilarious. I say.

ragesRemorse
screw that. if a black guy calls me a cracker, then i am gonna call him a n***er. or something worse.

i called a black guy a jungle bunny one time after he called me a yankee honkey. Diddnt really accomplish that much. Dont know why i said it, i was mad. dude said i should go back to white suburbia and listen to my country lynchen themes. I told the dude i hate country and that he should go listen to his jungle beats, back in da hood. dude stopped in his place, and said jungle beats? thats some new shit i havent heard. I laughed and said lynchen themes? True story. We are still firends today. Forget what the argument was started over, think it was over how i thought hockey was a better sprot than basketball.

Just thought it was relevant story to tell here, seeing how neither of us were really truly racist against each other, but were focusing on racial slurs just hurt each other.I think that is at the root of many racial remarks, the intentionl to hurt not the intention to discrminiate

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>