The Orange Box

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.



BackFire
Go buy this now. Holy shit.

Team Fortress 2 is a blast, Portal is stunningly unique and innovative, and all the Half Life 2 games are among the best FPS games in existence.

Anyone have this? I know queerhole does (Schecter).

Lana
Only part of it that vaguely interests me is Portal, which sounds insanely amusing, but the rest I couldn't care less about.

BackFire
Portal is really really fun stuff.

From what I hear, short though.

Morridini
Yeah, Portals look like the only fun one. Will download it sometime in the near future.

shin_gear
Never will know why shit isn't censored on this site.

Smasandian
I was going to pick it up until my computer gave away from me for games.

Its hard for me to not play TF2 because one of my favourite games, and probably one of the best online MP out there was TFC.

Hopefully they didnt screw up the sniper because somehow, thats the only sniping I can do really well in any game.

AstroFan
I got this, I all I played last night was Portal for about 20 minutes. Its already a blast. stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
-_- how can people overlook team fortress 2?

I mean yeah portal is good, but damn.. team fortress 2! ><

unfortunately I'll have to wait a bit before making this purchase.. but it shall be made @[email protected]

AstroFan
I was on the verge of going to bed, I only had to time to screw around a bit, so I picked Portal. lol

Morridini
Originally posted by shin_gear
Never will know why shit isn't censored on this site.

Don't get what he is saying, he want KMC to censor threads about the Orange Box because he thinks it is shit?

Superboy Prime
I will get it this weekend.

Half Life 2's campaign was amazing, and I played it on the regular Xbox. Can't wait to play it with the visuals and without loadings as it was meant to be. Episodes 1 and 2 only add to HL2's experience. Team Fortress 2...I remember playing the original TF back in high school. boy was I addicted. Eventhough Halo multiplayer has become my life I will still give TF2 a chance because it will offer something different and as good if not better. Portal...well I'm interested in how it will work...but the other games is what makes this a must buy.

DigiMark007
I need an XBox first. So I'll have to wait.

erm

WrathfulDwarf
I'm broke and way too many games on pre-order.

Dang! Wish I could have the extra bucks and get this set. 3 games in one. Great deal!

S_D_J
Originally posted by Morridini
Don't get what he is saying, he want KMC to censor threads about the Orange Box because he thinks it is shit?

I think he meant why the word "shit" isn't censored allround KMC, not just this forum... and definetly not the Orange Box

I haven't tried Team Fortress, but Portal is a hell lot of fun on 360

...I'll be picking it up for my PC next week

Morridini
Ok...why would anyone want the word shit to be censored?
It's a perfectly normal word as far as I know...

InnerRise
I went and purchased this yesterday and I've only been playing Half Life 2 thus far.

Don't have XBOX LIVE yet so sadly no Team Fortress 2 for me. I'm going to be working on that today and hopefully will get XBOX LIVE today.

I did mess around in the Commentary mode of Team Forthress 2 and it looks very nice and I love movement and the controls and everything and the effects.

I can tell already that my top 2 favorite classes are SPY and SCOUT.

I was kind of surprised to see that they didn't have a space on the shelf for this game. I was about to leave and try another store and then I look in the Nintendo Wii section and down below sitting at the bottom, still not on the shelf, were 3 "The Orange Box" games stacked on top of each other, sitting on top of some box.

Very strange.Originally posted by Superboy Prime
I will get it this weekend.

Half Life 2's campaign was amazing, and I played it on the regular Xbox. Can't wait to play it with the visuals and without loadings as it was meant to be. Episodes 1 and 2 only add to HL2's experience. Team Fortress 2...I remember playing the original TF back in high school. boy was I addicted. Eventhough Halo multiplayer has become my life I will still give TF2 a chance because it will offer something different and as good if not better. Portal...well I'm interested in how it will work...but the other games is what makes this a must buy.

The Load times are still there. Very annoying and takes you out of the experience. I'm definitely going to see if I can turn the auto saves off b/c it's just too jarring when you're in the middle of something in the game.

Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
I'm broke and way too many games on pre-order.

Dang! Wish I could have the extra bucks and get this set. 3 games in one. Great deal!

5 Games in 1 you mean. wink

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

kamikz
Grr, it's released October the 19th here. :@ I guess I have to wait a week then....

Is it available for PS3 yet? Otherwise I'll have to buy it for PC, which will work, but not nearly as well...

InnerRise
Originally posted by kamikz
Grr, it's released October the 19th here. :@ I guess I have to wait a week then....

Is it available for PS3 yet? Otherwise I'll have to buy it for PC, which will work, but not nearly as well... Doesn't come out for Playstation 3 until November.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

kamikz
Damn, that's what I though! Oh well, guess I'll buy it for PC then!

vandalworks
team fortress looks good, but perhaps because i'm a timesplitters fan and it looks stylistically similar.

Smasandian
Backfire, how is Ep.2?

Schecter
Originally posted by BackFire
Go buy this now. Holy shit.

Team Fortress 2 is a blast, Portal is stunningly unique and innovative, and all the Half Life 2 games are among the best FPS games in existence.

Anyone have this? I know queerhole does (Schecter).

love

BackFire
Originally posted by Smasandian
Backfire, how is Ep.2?

Haven't played it yet. I'm playing through them in order. Half Life 2, then Episode one, then two. Replaying through Half Life 2 is awesome, it's amazing. Despite being 3 years old it feels more complex and impressive than almost all new games I've played.

I beat portal last night. Man that game was awesome. Cracked me up a few times, the female AI that "guides" you through the game is hilarious.

Schecter
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!
THE CAKE IS A LIE!

BackFire
Hahahaha.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
Haven't played it yet. I'm playing through them in order. Half Life 2, then Episode one, then two. Replaying through Half Life 2 is awesome, it's amazing. Despite being 3 years old it feels more complex and impressive than almost all new games I've played.

I beat portal last night. Man that game was awesome. Cracked me up a few times, the female AI that "guides" you through the game is hilarious.

I was thinking that but I'm probalby just going to play Ep.2 and then maybe a couple of years or so, or when I'm bored of all the games I have, I'll just have an Half Life a thon.

Tried Ep1 again and it works so I'm currently dl the game and will problaby stick to TF2 for the next week or so.

Bye bye Halo 3.

Smasandian
So I tried Portal, seemed pretty cool. Didnt get very far into it but its looks interesting.

Played TF2 for about an hour and a half. Pretty damn sweet. Similar to TFC but changed a bit.

I always play sniper so I will only comment on it.

a. Seems to me that the maps lengths are changed alot. Dustbowl CP are alot closer to the opening from different waypoints. 2Fort is roughly the same but as a sniper, the bridge covering changes the whole game.

b. I do miss charging up your shots instead of going into zoom and charging automatically. It seems to fake to me that way and charging up your shots seemed to be more real because it was intuitive. I know exactly how much power I have in a shot by knowing how long I had it charged while the other hand, with the metre I had no clue unless I divert my eyes to the meter and that small millisecond could mean the difference between shooting an scout and a dying.

Overall, the style is absolutely amazing. Nothing compares to it in online shooters. Just amazing. Gameplay is Similar to the old thing and thats exactly what I want. I didnt want them to change it completely.

Superboy Prime
I went to my local gamestop to buy this earlier today. They were sold out. Apparentely they received few copies.

Damn it.

Smasandian
If its for the 360, then shitty, but if for PC, just get it off Steam.

BackFire
The game was surprisingly hard to find. All my local gamestops were 'soldout'. Had to go to bestbuy to get it.

Smasandian
Really, that's strange. It's Half Life.

Anyways, started to play Ep.2. Damn cool. Much better than Ep.1

Ushgarak
Gosh, I am quite surprised to find I have gone right off Hallf-Life. I played all the original stuff obsessively, and I even became quite a Day of Defeat addict, which is unusial as I hate deathmatch (that said, I used to bot up and play co-op with friends against AI) and I thought Sven Co-op was one of the best things ever.

But Half-Life 2 kinda stopped me in my tracks. It was alright, I enjoyed it, but I've felt not the slightest compunction to extend my HL2 gaming at all. Hmm.

General Kaliero
Bought Portal off Steam yesterday. It finally finished downloading this morning, and I played straight through to Test 18. Had to take a break.

The computer is great. They certainly hired a good writer.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Gosh, I am quite surprised to find I have gone right off Hallf-Life. I played all the original stuff obsessively, and I even became quite a Day of Defeat addict, which is unusial as I hate deathmatch (that said, I used to bot up and play co-op with friends against AI) and I thought Sven Co-op was one of the best things ever.

But Half-Life 2 kinda stopped me in my tracks. It was alright, I enjoyed it, but I've felt not the slightest compunction to extend my HL2 gaming at all. Hmm.

Really, I on the other hand loved both.

Episode 2 is a really good game in my opinion, but if you didnt love HL2, then well, I dont know you would like Episode 2.

General Kaliero
This just in: Portal's end credits song is my new most favorite song ever.

Seriously. I can't listen without cracking up.

AstroFan
I need Portal help. What do you do on the "last" test where they were going to burn me?" I jumped off and now I dont know what to do next.





EDIT: Nevermind. roll eyes (sarcastic)

InnerRise
Originally posted by InnerRise
Doesn't come out for Playstation 3 until November.

anata wa wakarimasu ka..... Correction. Doesn't come out for the Playstation 3 until December it seems.

Anyway, I'm addicted to Team Fortress 2.

One of my main gripes with it is concerning the Spy Class.

You can be as good as you want to be with the Spy, but it doesn't matter when people are shooting at their own team mates, to make certain it isn't a spy. And if they're wrong, there's no penalty b/c you can't damage your own team mates.

I think that should change, b/c people are shooting left and right at you off the bat just to see if you're a Spy.

It kind of takes away from the Spy class, which is my favorite and all I've been playing on pretty much.

I just started playing around with the Scout as well, which is my second favorite class.

I've played some of Half Life 2 as well, which would be my first time ever playing the game and I'm liking it. I need to get back into it.

Haven't gotten around to Portal yet.

Can't wait until we get more maps and Modes for Team Fortress 2. My favorite so far is "Capture the Flag", where the Spy really shines and comes into play.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
How does that take away from the spy class?

It's essential to do that because there is no way to tell if they're a spy or not and if you cant shoot them then the spy class is completely out of balance.

They would have to change the spy completely then, also, if they're is a penalty people would still shoot they're own teammates. It happened in TFC all the time, especially if a teammate is coming towards you.

As a sniper, if I see a teammate running towards me I shoot them. I dont care if I injure them because if I dont, I'll die.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Smasandian
How does that take away from the spy class?

It's essential to do that because there is no way to tell if they're a spy or not and if you cant shoot them then the spy class is completely out of balance. No no.

I'm not saying that the spy shouldn't be able to be shot at.

That's kind of a ridiculous want.

I'm saying that teammates should be able to damage each other.

I'm hoping this would deter people from shooting at others so fast who they aren't sure are team members or spys being that they would know that they could potentially damage or kill a teammate.

Well, off to play some more Team Fortress 2 and get cheated for choosing to play as a Spy.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Darkhalen
Portal is great

DigiMark007
Having friends with expendable income is great. I've been co-oping (splitting controlling time) with a friend and helping him beat Portal. Next we're co-oping on Spider-Man: Friend or Foe, where we can both actually play simultaneously.

And when I finally get a 360, I'm just borrowing the entire Orange Box, and probably buying him a beer or two in return. Good times.

Smasandian
Originally posted by InnerRise
No no.

I'm not saying that the spy shouldn't be able to be shot at.

That's kind of a ridiculous want.

I'm saying that teammates should be able to damage each other.

I'm hoping this would deter people from shooting at others so fast who they aren't sure are team members or spys being that they would know that they could potentially damage or kill a teammate.

Well, off to play some more Team Fortress 2 and get cheated for choosing to play as a Spy.

anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

That's exactly what you said.

You said that the game should punish players from shooting thier own teammates to see if they're a spy or not.

I said if the spy cant be shot at (aka team damage) then the spy class is totally out of balance. You have to shoot at the each class coming near you just in case its a spy. What's the problem with that?

Why do you care if somebody shoots you if your playing a class and they think your a spy?

Is it because you get shot when you trying to backstap somebody?

If thats the case, thats the whole point of being a spy. You have to have skill to showcase that your pretending to be on thier team. If thats not the case, then I have no idea what your problem is, who cares if somebody on your team shoots you to see if your a spy. That's Team Fortress.

I like the new TF. It made less complex to play increasing the fun of it. I'm glad medics cant infect people, which in turn infect everybody. It wasnt fun. You just sat thier waiting to die most of the time because if you tried to get health, you would just infect the whole team by mistake. I'm also glad they took away the hulligenic grenades, and grenades in general. They were just annoying and people would just throw constently throw them everywhere for the sake of it.

They had friendlly fire in the other one and it was annoying. You have to remember that your not the only one getting hit. When everybody gets in a brawl near all those small little chokepoints, having team damage would just ruin it considering everybody weapon has splash damage, or area of effect type guns, ie heavy weapon gun.

Smasandian
I linked this guys videos in Bioshock and Halo 3 and I might as well do Orange Box.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/10/17/zero-punctuation-likes-orange-box-but-loves-portal/

Darkhalen
Portal is just amazing a bit short but imagine if it gets to be a full game on it's own

Impediment
Originally posted by DigiMark007
I need an XBox first. So I'll have to wait.

erm

Me, too. I'll have one by income tax return season.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Smasandian
That's exactly what you said.

You said that the game should punish players from shooting thier own teammates to see if they're a spy or not.

I said if the spy cant be shot at (aka team damage) then the spy class is totally out of balance. You have to shoot at the each class coming near you just in case its a spy. What's the problem with that?

Why do you care if somebody shoots you if your playing a class and they think your a spy?

Is it because you get shot when you trying to backstap somebody?

If thats the case, thats the whole point of being a spy. You have to have skill to showcase that your pretending to be on thier team. If thats not the case, then I have no idea what your problem is, who cares if somebody on your team shoots you to see if your a spy. That's Team Fortress.

I like the new TF. It made less complex to play increasing the fun of it. I'm glad medics cant infect people, which in turn infect everybody. It wasnt fun. You just sat thier waiting to die most of the time because if you tried to get health, you would just infect the whole team by mistake. I'm also glad they took away the hulligenic grenades, and grenades in general. They were just annoying and people would just throw constently throw them everywhere for the sake of it.

They had friendlly fire in the other one and it was annoying. You have to remember that your not the only one getting hit. When everybody gets in a brawl near all those small little chokepoints, having team damage would just ruin it considering everybody weapon has splash damage, or area of effect type guns, ie heavy weapon gun. You're not making sense. You're not reading my posts.

You twisting things on purpose or you're just not getting the jest of my posts.

Just drop it and enjoy the game. It's not that serious. Just my concern and my opinion on how things should work, which you don't seem to be understanding.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
What's your point then?

Add friendly fire?

InnerRise
Exactly.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
And how does my post not make any sense in regarding your post.

I said friendly fire was annoying because you would have mass choas. Everybody would die because pretty every class has a main weapon that has splash damage. What's the point of advancing with a group of teammates when you cant fire the HW gun, or you cant shoot rockets up close, or you cant use the grenade launcher anywhere near your group. They will all die because everybody is cramped up. The game will be off balance towards the defence. Every choke point would have a HW guy blocking it but nonbody can advance because everybody is getting injured from teammate guns.

It also helps with teammates ruining the game experience for people. One major problem with TFC was that one guy could easily destroy the game by killing his own players. It's annoying.

I'm glad there isnt friendly fire. It make sense. The game is totally unrealistic.

BackFire
The point of the spy is to make the other team THINK you are on their team. It is actually difficult to do, as it should be. You have to make the other teammembers say "Nah, he's not a spy obviously".

Like, if you're posed as an Engineer in 2fort, go hang out down in the basement or near a sentry gun, like real engineers do. Or if you're posed as a sniper hang out over at the sniper ledge-area. You have to earn the trust of the other team by acting like how the class you're disguised as is expected to act.

InnerRise
Originally posted by Smasandian
And how does my post not make any sense in regarding your post.

I said friendly fire was annoying because you would have mass choas. Everybody would die because pretty every class has a main weapon that has splash damage. What's the point of advancing with a group of teammates when you cant fire the HW gun, or you cant shoot rockets up close, or you cant use the grenade launcher anywhere near your group. They will all die because everybody is cramped up. The game will be off balance towards the defence. Every choke point would have a HW guy blocking it but nonbody can advance because everybody is getting injured from teammate guns.

It also helps with teammates ruining the game experience for people. One major problem with TFC was that one guy could easily destroy the game by killing his own players. It's annoying.

I'm glad there isnt friendly fire. It make sense. The game is totally unrealistic. I know what you said. Still doesn't change the fact that I wish there was friendly fire and I'm glad you finally got the understanding of my message finally.

Originally posted by BackFire
The point of the spy is to make the other team THINK you are on their team. It is actually difficult to do, as it should be. You have to make the other teammembers say "Nah, he's not a spy obviously".

Like, if you're posed as an Engineer in 2fort, go hang out down in the basement or near a sentry gun, like real engineers do. Or if you're posed as a sniper hang out over at the sniper ledge-area. You have to earn the trust of the other team by acting like how the class you're disguised as is expected to act.

Yeah, I know, but that doesn't really matter with no penalty. It's just easier to shoot just in case and that's exactly what they do, no matter how good of a job you're doing.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

BackFire
Nah, that's bs. If you give them no reason to shoot most won't. I play spy sometimes, and I'm by no means a master at it, but the amount of people that shoot you when you're playing convincingly as the class you're disguised as is far less than when you're running around aimlessly as a sniper down in the flag area. It still happens, yeah, but not that much, from my experiences.

Every class has it's drawbacks, this is the spy's. There's always that chance that someone will just randomly shoot at you and blow your cover.

InnerRise
When I first started, which was like a day after the game came out, the random shooting "just in case" hardly happened, then people got use to he game and now it's all they do.

I've pretended to be the sniper up in the sniper area and get shot from behind "just in case".

I've been the engineer down in the Basement of the enemy and shot at "just in case"

It's happens more often than not.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

BackFire
Again, that's just the drawback to the class, it's done for balance. You will eventually get figured out. And yes, random shots 'just to be safe' will **** you over. But again, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact from my experiences that happens the minority of the time.

As a spy you shouldn't be spending to much time hanging around looking convincing, either. You need to kill quickly, as soon as you get the opportunity. Specifically against someone who is preoccupied doing something else -- The sniper who's zoomed in all alone on the ledge, the demoman who's busy setting up a boobytrap down in the flag area, the engineer who's building his sentry gun, these guys should be easy prey and are your primary targets as a spy.

Also, it's key to change your costume and strategy pretty regularly. Like, after every kill.

Really though, all it takes to make the other team uneasy is one single kill from a spy, I don't like to play the spy for long periods of time, because after you kill one guy that flags the rest of the team that there is a spy around and that's when the random shooting to be safe happens.

Schecter
portal has a glitch which is really pissing me off. every time i complete an advanced map it disacknowledges another advance map. i beat all the advanced maps and wondered why i never got the achievement. figured maybe im just getting alzheimers, so i beat them again. so first it said that i only had maps 13, 14, 17, 18 completed. (absurd since i completed them in order). so i go back to redo 15 and 16, and guess what? apparently now i never completed 17 and 18. laadeeefrikin daaa
so tonight i just finished maps 17 and 18...again. now it seems that once again i never finished 15 and 16.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
Again, that's just the drawback to the class, it's done for balance. You will eventually get figured out. And yes, random shots 'just to be safe' will **** you over. But again, it's not nearly as bad as you make it out to be. In fact from my experiences that happens the minority of the time.

As a spy you shouldn't be spending to much time hanging around looking convincing, either. You need to kill quickly, as soon as you get the opportunity. Specifically against someone who is preoccupied doing something else -- The sniper who's zoomed in all alone on the ledge, the demoman who's busy setting up a boobytrap down in the flag area, the engineer who's building his sentry gun, these guys should be easy prey and are your primary targets as a spy.

Also, it's key to change your costume and strategy pretty regularly. Like, after every kill.

Really though, all it takes to make the other team uneasy is one single kill from a spy, I don't like to play the spy for long periods of time, because after you kill one guy that flags the rest of the team that there is a spy around and that's when the random shooting to be safe happens.

Nothing is more scarier than knowing a spy is lurking about when I'm a sniper.

I pretty much only play sniper because I absolutly suck at everything else. I started as a sniper in TFC and played that everytime. I'm just stuck with it now.

Inner, I understood what your talking about and I replied that friendly fire wouldnt be beneficial to the overall game just because a spy might get shot in the back a few times. Have you ever thought that maybe they shot you because they knew you were a spy.

I do it all the time. I see a guy coming towards me, I shoot him. If not, I die.

As Backfire said, every class has drawbacks. It's the balancing of the game, and extremely effective balancing I might add.

InnerRise
Smas, I said I understood what YOU were saying. I understand. OK?

I won't agree though and still wish there was friendly fire. Please stop making me repeat myself. It'd be over if you'd accept the fact that it's my opinion and it's staying. Ok?

And I've been playing with the spy for the majority and I know what to do and what not to do. Backfire explained it. It's not all about being obvious everytime. Once a team knows a spy is on the loose, they shoot everybody just to make sure.

I get your point, I get his.

Nothing else needs to be said really on the matter.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Schecter
good, so you accept that you're wrong doped

BackFire
I just beat episode 2. Best part of the entire Half Life 2 experience. Stunning narrative, the best I've ever experienced in a shooter.

Smasandian
Yeah, it was amazing.

The last battle is awesome, and then ending sequence is one of the best I've seen in a shooter also.

Some people dont realize that story doesnt make the game play well, its how they tell the story. Half Life series has a pretty standerd FPS story, but how its told is what makes sense really good.

Schecter
i went into half life pretty impressed....until it turned into yet another zombie game. *sigh*

Darkhalen
Yes "Zombie" Game with Aliens and giant machines yes another Zombie game with no Zombies in a sense

General Kaliero
Darkhalen, even the games call them zombies. They're headcrab zombies, zombine, and aliens.

BackFire
It's not a zombie game. One level is a Zombie level. The rest of the game the zombies are just one of many type of enemies you will encounter.

InnerRise
Would it make more sense to complete Half Life 2 before I start portal or does it not matter?

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

BackFire
Doesn't matter. They take place in the same world but don't really have to do with one another.

Smasandian
Backfire, what did you think about the hunters and the last level and the ending in Ep.2?

BackFire
The hunters were a great addition, I thought. The battles with them were always intense and challenging.

The final battle against the hunters/striders was grand, I thought it was pretty tough, though. But beating it felt very good.

I was blown away by the ending. I was left with my mouth hanging. Even though it was a little predictable, I was so immersed in the game, living "in the moment" so to speak, that I wasn't thinking about what would happen, I was just into it. Like I said, I thought the ending was a stunning and towering example of what is possible with FPS games, bringing about a level of emotion and power stemming from actually feeling like you are IN that world, a real part of it. Of course, it helps that the characters in Half Life 2 are well developed, particularly Alyx, who feels almost too real, I found myself genuinely caring for her, which made the ending all the more powerful.

Smasandian
I hate Hunters, in a good way. I see a few coming towards me, I'm like, "shit".

Supposedly you can pick up their bombs and throw them back at them, but I just found hitting them with barrels much easier.

Yeah, the last battle is awesome, especially when the striders blow the buildings apart. Too good.

I just think Valve knows how to tell a story and I don't think any developer out there is better at it than Valve. I'm surprised that no other companies use the Source engine to power their FPS games and to tell the story of the game. The facial animation is still the best in the business and its 3 years old. Why haven't any companies done anything better?

BackFire
Because they can get away with having hollow characters and a lousy story, a lot of people don't realize the amount of power and quality storytelling that is possible with the FPS genre.

{{QS}}
I need this to come out for PS3.I was an sometimes still am a TFC diehard (Spy, Medic and a skilled demoman, boy am I missing my detpack and my green pipes) and I've played TF2 at a friends and was blown away.Well first i was scared as a TF without grenades rolling everywhere is pretty odd but after that i enjoyed it.I still love the medic even though hes totally different and the spys cloak totally changes things.

InnerRise a little tip if you play spy.Disguise as an ally class if you need to confuse the enemy when getting behind enemy lines and conserve cloak.It works wonders for me but when i played Spy we didn't have a cloak stick out tongue

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
Because they can get away with having hollow characters and a lousy story, a lot of people don't realize the amount of power and quality storytelling that is possible with the FPS genre.

Yeah.

Some of my favourite games are like that.

Anything Monolith produces and Valve always have great storytelling through gameplay and not some shitty cutscene. I hate cutscenes.

Phat J
so how much was this?

i know im going to buy it but im kind of sick of playing fps's. bioshock is ****ing awesome but i still cant bring myself to play it because the 360 has done the fps to death. its all there is for it. i want to get it but i dont want to just have it be another game sitting in my room that never gets played.

BackFire
If you don't play bioshock then you are missing out on one of the best games of this generation. Or any generation, really. And it's by no means a generic FPS. It's unlike most FPS games in terms of narrative and gameplay, in the way you use magic and progress your character.

Smasandian
Aside from System Shock 2...hahahaha.

Phat J, its a poor excuse to say that FPS is done the FPS to death. That's completely untrue. Every genre has multitude of games coming out, generic or brilliant. It's the videogame industry. In my opinion, they're will rarely be any new genres being produced nowadays so every game that is released is going to belong to one.

It would be different to say your sick of crappy FPS being released, but Bioshock and The Orange Box are brilliant.

Phat J
i dont think its an excuse, i think its a pretty good reason. what are some other games that have come out for the 360 that dont involve tactical shooting or a first person view?

oblivion and pro evo are the only ones that i can think of.

anyways how much is the orange box in canada? and has anyone beat portal? how many hours did you get out of it?

BackFire
Portal is short, about 3 hours.

And Half Life 2 and it's episodes are among the best FPS games of all time. It's worth buying, to say the least.

Schecter
did you beat the bonus maps backfire?

:edit: just checked. you didnt. poser.

BackFire
Suck my **** you ****.

Too busy beating Half Life games and playing TF2.

There's some nasty lag issues with TF2, hopefully it gets fixed, soon.

Schecter
well give the bonus maps a try when your done beating that generic zombie game stick out tongue

BackFire
Get past ravenholm, aidsface.

Have you played TF2 yet??

Schecter
yeah, i suck at it. i mean, no maps, no indicators of where there hell to go. i just keep getting stomped.

BackFire
Yeah, I was too. Gotta really learn the maps and the gamemodes.

There are indicators, but they're actually on the levels (Walls will have "Control Point" with an arrow pointing a certain way and such). If worse comes to worse, just follow your teammates.

RedAlertv2
Played Portal yesterday. Its pretty short but the idea alone is incredible. Cant wait to see them expand upon it.

InnerRise
Originally posted by BackFire
Suck my **** you ****.

Too busy beating Half Life games and playing TF2.

There's some nasty lag issues with TF2, hopefully it gets fixed, soon. What's your Screen Name?

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

BackFire
BackFire349

Smasandian
I havnt played TF2 in a week or so.

I think its going to be one of those games on where I play for three days straight and dont play for two weeks and then repeat.

It's also a great game to play for a hour or so. Playing Halo 3, I play maybe 3 games at the most in a hour because of waiting for players and all that stuff.

That's why I love online shooters for PC. Pick out the server, then play in about 2 minutes and when the map changes, you stay and not get kick out to the MP screen.

InnerRise
I can actually play Team Fortress 2 all day long. This past weekend, I played it all day long 2-3 days straight. Ended up going to bed around 8:44am both times.

Anata wa wakarimasu ka.....

Smasandian
Yeah, its very easy to do that.

I just it because of how the PC online community differs from XBOX Live.

You rarely notice you change games because your always playing against the same people and if you get into a good game, its hard to leave.

I rarely leave a game that allows me to shoot people left right and centre from an sniper posistion.

RedAlertv2
Yeah I got stuck on Episode 2 so I decided to play some TF and have been playing it almost nonstop ever since.

Impediment
I'm expecting The Orange Box (PS3) as an Xmas gift.


I hope, I hope, I hope........smile

Phat J
i heard its supposed to have a lot of framerate issues for the ps3. is that true?>

Impediment
Dunno. Let's hope not.

BackFire
I've heard it has some framerate issues, yes.

But not nearly as bad as has been let on.

Impediment
A few framerate issues is acceptable for such a package deal, if you ask me. I'll be expecting a lot of fun gameplay, if, in fact, I receive this for Xmas.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I've heard it has some framerate issues, yes.

But not nearly as bad as has been let on.

True.

It's kinda of funny considering Gabe Newell called the PS3 a waste and Sony should just start anew.

BackFire
Yeah.

The bad framerate may be because Valve refused to work on the game for the PS3, and instead let some other company handle the port.

Smasandian
Shitty for PS3 I guess.

Speaking of TF2, one thing that easily outbeats XBOX Live is the ability to dl new maps.

I forgot how much fun sniper maps are...ah sniper maps. Hopefully, somebody brings back turkeyburgers or bounce. Countless hours I've spent on those two maps.

Impediment
I got this as an Xmas gift.

Two words: Holy Shit!

Awesome gameplay.

Smasandian
Yeah, each segment of the box is excellent.

The only somewhat disappointing game is Ep 1 but that is hardly a bad game.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.