Speed Racer

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

JediSamuraiMRB
I grew up on the '60s cartoon which I loved a whole lot. The movie stars Emile Hirsch as Speed. John Goodman and Susan Sarandon as Mom and Pops Racer, respectively. Christina Ricci as Trixi and Mathew Fox as Racer X. I've watched the trailer and have doubts. Thoughts? Opinions?

http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=17308

xNIXSONx
i have no idea how this movie is gonna be but im interested in watching it, trailer looks cool to me atleast.

=Tired Hiker=
. . . and not to mention, those Matrix guys, The Wachowski Brothers, are the directors. This should be interesting.

Neo_Version 7
I agree.

I think they captured the look and feel of the cartoon.
A lot of people are asking for realism but I personally don't want another Fast and Furious.

xNIXSONx
Originally posted by Neo_Version 7
I agree.

I think they captured the look and feel of the cartoon.
A lot of people are asking for realism but I personally don't want another Fast and Furious.

it definately has that spy kids vibe to it though, the speed racer trailer was so colourful and almost as colourful as burtons willy wonka film. But the race sequences were insane.

Darth Zhin
Originally posted by xNIXSONx
it definately has that spy kids vibe to it though, the speed racer trailer was so colourful and almost as colourful as burtons willy wonka film. But the race sequences were insane.

Which is the eay Speed Racer shuld be made.

super pr*xy
i was sold with the monkey in the trunk...

BackFire
Wonder if the Wachowski's will inject a bunch of pretentious simplistic philosophical crap like in The Matrix sequels.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by BackFire
Wonder if the Wachowski's will inject a bunch of pretentious simplistic philosophical crap like in The Matrix sequels.

And then I wonder if all the Matrix fans will dissect the trailer and find all sorts of fantastic meaningful insights and paradigms of Speed Racer's contribution to human existence.

blowup

Callan
I enjoyed the cartoons as a child, but I'm not totally sold on the live action movie. The trailer definitely displays some of the campiness of the original series, but I don't know if I can accept Emile Hirsch as Speed just yet.

I'll probably watch this, but my expectations won't be all that high. messed

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by BackFire

I doubt it. They've already done a film (V For Vendetta) since the Matrix films and that turned out fine.

cloudysky
Yes I agree with the snakeEyes' opinion.

coolmovies
I had this cartoon on video years ago classic

JackieCD
I hope it's not a Spy Kids like make.

Altar[1stONE]
I wonder if the dragonballz movie will use something like this live action /anime hybrid effects?

Mr Parker
from what i have seen here,i dont like what I am seeing.Think I'll stick with the cartoon.I loved that cartoon,thats probably my favorite cartoon series of all time.that show would always leave me in suspense all the time as a kid.I dont understand why they never show that anymore.wish they would bring it back. mad

=Tired Hiker=
I have a theory about this here Speed Racer movie. What we've seen in the trailers is very clean and polished, but I bet there is a gritty side to this film that has not been shown to us yet. Kinda like Starship Troopers, where everyone lives in a perfect world, but when the shit goes down, THE SHIT GOES DOWN AND IT GETS NASTY. You know, kinda like the Sand People in Phantom Menace shooting at the pod racers . . . there's a lot of stuff they can pull in this here Speed Racer, and I hope they do.

JediSamuraiMRB
Speed Racer may have just gotten a wee better.

http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh180/DARKCAEDUS/speedracerrival.jpg

JediSamuraiMRB
Here is the pic again.

http://img233.imagevenue.com/loc534/th_55897_SPEED_122_534lo.jpg

Impediment
As long as Racer X is in the film, I'll go see it.

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Impediment

Yeah, I'm in it.

Reverend Axel
As long as John Goodman is in the film, I'll go see it.

=Tired Hiker=
As long as there are a few special effects, I'll go see it.

JediSamuraiMRB
As long as the Car Acrobatic Team is in it I'll go see it.

=Tired Hiker=
As long as ....... blowup

Impediment
As long as Trixie gives us a boob shot and Chim-Chim flings his own poo, I'll go see it.

SelinaAndBruce
I saw Racer X in the trailer so I'm interested. I don't know if it'll be good or not. BUt I loved Speed racer as a kid. I like that some of the dialogue is delivered similar to how it was in the cartoon series.

regina414
I am a fan of that classic anime. I can't wait to see this live-action film. I am after those hot cars.

BruceSkywalker
Pix from Speed...

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=43419

FlappingMangera
Originally posted by Ax3l
As long as John Goodman is in the film, I'll go see it.

Word, I love everything with John Goodman. Big Lebowski, Barton Fink, even Roseanne.

I hope to be at the premiere too by winning this texting contest: Speed Racer contest

I entered my phone number, and on the 18th I'll receive a text message asking me a trivia question. If I'm one of the first people to reply correctly, I go to the premiere, and I fully expect that to be the case because I know all about Speed Racer and I text like a speed demon.

I wouldn't mind taking home the Mach 5 either. smokin'

ragesRemorse
Trailer looks whimsical and fairly true to the speed racer style. Other than of course, speed racer being japanese stick out tongue

I hate speed racer and probably wont see this movie, but it looks like it will be a lot of fun for the fans

Rogue Jedi
DEFINITELY gonna see this. Racer X looks BADASS.

Blax_Hydralisk
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
I hate speed racer

no expression

Get out.

Rogue Jedi
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
no expression

Get out. GTFO.

Mr Parker
I have seen this film advertised so many times recently.I can tell this movie is royally going to suck in a major way.wtf were they thinking,making this movie into practically a video game? mad mad

BruceSkywalker
Christina Ricci talking about the film..

A1cokR6FrD0

Bardock42
Well, except that I think the Wachowski brothers are major twats, it might be good.

They have proven they can do something alright if there's no effort on there part as they have the unscrewable story. Not that they didn't try to anyways...

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by Mr Parker
I have seen this film advertised so many times recently.I can tell this movie is royally going to suck in a major way.wtf were they thinking,making this movie into practically a video game? mad mad

It's speed race man, one of the most corny cartoon's ever. I think the trailer looks like it captures the speed racer feel quite well.

Leo.M

S_D_J
early reviews and music video

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/36544

looking forward to this movie, I hated the cartoon, but watch it from time to time, but I was completely sold by the first trailer, totally unexpected, looks like an anime

and the video has tons of new footage, this movie looks ridiculosly outreageus, there some many things taking straight from the cartoon (and some scene reminded me of the 60's batman show).
People are either gonna hate it or completely love it, I might actually be one of the latter

First_Tsurugi06
As long as the people don't say "HA-HA!" in between lines, I'll go see it.

But if it were my call, I'd've dropped the idea for a VG movie of F-Zero, and I detest VG movies.

WrathfulDwarf
Critics are smacking this film.

Well, it's a W brothers film...you can see it coming. Matrix franchise anyone?

Mairuzu
As long as Racer X is in the film, I'll go see it. Played by matthew fox from lost

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Critics are smacking this film.

Well, it's a W brothers film...you can see it coming. Matrix franchise anyone?

No surprise there. I'm not high up on this either, but I'll see it and hope that my opinion changes. The first Matrix was good though.

Fox may have been a good choice I'll know in a few days

=Tired Hiker=
I'll go see it on IMAX just for the thrill ride. If it's actually a good movie, then that's an added bonus.

Fallen
seeing it tonight. i'm skeptical. hmm

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Fallen
seeing it tonight. i'm skeptical. hmm

Let us know as soon as you get home what you thought of it. Remember, use spoiler tags when necessary.

S_D_J
Saw it this afternoon:

What can I say? you'll either love it or hate it, but you are certainly in for a visual feast.

Movies like Sin City and 300 (I know there were other movies before it, Captain Sky anyone?,but these were true big hits) use of green and blue screen as become a new trend, and this movie pulls it off perfectly.

Not only it helps to immerse yourself in this Wonderful, Colorful and Unbelievable world, but it also helps to make it Believable. I know it sounds strange, but once you'll see, you'll get it (or you won't totally agree with me big grin ). I'll borrow a paragraph from IGN's review:

I must admit I wasn't much of a fan of the original show, sometimes I found it unbearable to watch. It was way too fantastic and exaggerated for my liking, but I did watched it from time to time (guilty pleasure, I guess) and I know what the story was and how the show worked (the buttons on the steering wheel, and how it they were used it over and over again in almost the exactly same fashion everytime), and when I saw that on the trailers I couldn't help to LOL and be intrigued by it: the things I hated, are there, the over the top action and sequences, and characters, are there.
Everything that made the 60's show famous, and entertaining for kids, it's in the movie, plus a few new twists.

From the very start of the movie, you're treated to a trippy and over colour saturated world that's is pleasing to the eyes: the Warner and Silver pictures logo welcomed you to the movie with a rainbow of colour that's just a taste of you'll get in the movie. We see Speed getting ready for a race, looking a bit nervous and thinking about his Brother Rex, then flashback (the first of many scattered throughout the movie) shows a young Speed in school, unable to focus his mind in anything other than racing, which it's a problem for him since his taking a test, from this point on every other character it's introduced in flashback sequences (except for Spritle, Chim-Chim and the bad guys of course) intercut with sequences of Speed racing in the very same track his bother Rex, used to take him to drive the Match 5 and, set a record time.

One way to explain this movie is to called it a Real life Anime, when Rex goes to pick up young Speed from school, we get to see for the first time, a cartoony, and yet a bit real, colourful bright and living world, which only gets bigger and more visually impressive as the movie progresses.
throughout the flashbacks we see the story of the Racer family, Speed's worship of his brother Rex, and Rex leaving the family to race, against Pops' wishes, and his eventual death. In the midtime, Speed is leading the race, only to realize he's competing against the ghost of his brother (anyone who played a racing game will know what I mean about "Ghost"wink to set a new record.

Once Speed wins the race, he's approach by the bad, corporate guy: Royalton, who tries to convince him, and the Racer family, to make a partnership and have Speed race for him. A great sequence unfolds, showing what seems to be a Star Wars' Tokio designed by Willy Wonka, full of neon and sky crappers (Imagine the Coruscant sequence in Ep I, but full of blue, pink and purple buildings and neon anime billboards and you might get the visual). After showing what Royalton offers (facilities, workshops, cars and luxury life) he's presented with the contract. But once Speed declines the offer, Royalton shows his true side (and his truth about the racing world) and swears to ruin the Racer family and ensure Speed "never finishes another race". Speeds eyes are open to a side of racing he did not know, and the struggle to help his family and fix the world he lives in begins....

I might seem too caught up with the visuals, but that's exactly what the movie has to offer, breathtaking, fantastic visuals, backgrounds and racing tracks, equally fantastic, and yet believable, well constructed cars design, great racing sequences (my favorites being the desert race, the mountain jumping race and the final race) and two good fighting sequences.

The story is not all that good, the movie has too much plot for it's own good, but it certainly delivers a moral message, not heavy, over elaborated existentialism like in the Matrix, a more subtle and heartwarming message about sticking up for yourself and your ideas to find, and make justice in the world.
The actors are OK in their roles, you can ask much out of them here, they play it like they are supposed to, it is after all Speed Racer, but unlike the cartoon world they come from, characters are given a subtle level of depth. Christina Ricci, is charming and candid playing Trixie, it suits her very well, And Mathew Fox plays a interesting Racer X, Goodman delivers one of the best (if not only) speech in the movie, when Speed is leaving the house, just like his brother Rex did, but this time realizes his error, and also manages to give hope to Speed that not everything in the world of racing it's fixed. It conveys emotion and it's a pretty well written scene.
Racer X reveal of his face was a good scene too I like how they didn't try to have Speed recognize him as his brother, the actor that plays Rex and Fox don't look alike but there's some similarities. The explanation flashback of his face was a bit too long, expected from a mile away, but it was good that at least they came up with a more believable explanation
Spritle and Chim Chim are almost a carbon-copy of their cartoon characters. There are times when the movie's plot scenes become too long, tedious or even boring, but Spritle and Chim Chim cut in, in totally unrelated, funny scenes doing their antics ... or sometimes they interrupt too serious dialogue by other characters to provide comedy relief. Some might find this two characters annoying. I didn't. I actually enjoyed watching them do funny, anime-like, sequences (The last scene "Disclaimer" they make it's their best joke IMO)

There's two fight scene that are totally different from each another, not only in choreography, but in style as well. One looks like a regular martial arts fight (Sparky provides great comedy relief, but Spritle and Chim Chim's anime jump/scream tops it), but the other one it's a more bizarre sequence: it's like a Batman 60's tv-show fight mix the Matrix's FX but done in anime-style... ..... It's fun to watch.
And there's also shoot outs big grin .

If you are going to watch this movie, forget any prejudice and preconceptions you might have about it, and you would certainly enjoy it. The Visuals would make more than enough for any shortcomings the movie has, and you will leave the theater quite pleased.
If not, and if you hate the Wachowski Brother, then you will have more fodder to criticize them... Or better yet: Go watch Iron Man if you haven't seen it yet...

I think the Movie would have done much better if it were to have been released before Iron Man, and since it's a family friendly movie(sort of) it will have a lot of competition with Indiana Jones and Narnia, and It might end up failing in the Box Office. That would be a shame... hopefully I'm wrong.

I enjoyed the movie a lot ...................... I'd give a 4-out of-5 stars

BTW: High Definition it's how you must see this movie, The IMAX version would be the best way to see it, I think..... This movie it's gonna make a great BluRay Title smile

Originally posted by First_Tsurugi06
As long as the people don't say "HA-HA!" in between lines, I'll go see it.

But if it were my call, I'd've dropped the idea for a VG movie of F-Zero, and I detest VG movies.

There's some exagerated HA-HA by the end of the movie, but it works

Some call this movie "Mario Kart - the movie"..... big grin....

BruceSkywalker
I saw Speed Racer. Its better than I had thought, but still I have problems. Way too much color. The acting was stale. Matt Fox is better on the small screen. Emile Hirsch doesn't pull off being young. The car acrobatic team should've been featured more. All in all just making $20 million the first 3 days is not good, not good at all. No sequel is coming.

Gannon
I loved it.

It was cheesy but in a good way.

The visuals were amazing.

Major kudos to the Wachowski Brothers. Too bad its bombing in the box office.

sithsaber408
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=313521&GT1=7701

bluewebdev
How are the graphics in that movie? I heard they spent a lot of time making the movie..

Mairuzu
The racing scenes were pretty amazing.

S_D_J
Originally posted by sithsaber408
http://movies.msn.com/movies/article.aspx?news=313521&GT1=7701

April would have been a much better release date... or pushing it back until August...

....I'm still buying the DVD big grin

BruceSkywalker
Originally posted by Mairuzu
The racing scenes were pretty amazing.

Couldn't save the film though

Bicnarok

Mr Parker
well since someone said you'll either love it or hate it-and I've seen enough to know I'll hate it,still cant bash a film till you see it,but since someone said you'll either love it or hate it,guess I'll pay my way in to see IRONMAN,a movie I love and then do the old sneak in to another theater thing after its over so i can see it for free and not waste my money so I can come back and bash it then.

Mairuzu
ok...

ragesRemorse
I was never a fan of speed racer, but i went to see this because i had nothing better to choose from. From the trailers i was concerned that, because of the colors and pace of the racing, there would be sequences that would be completely disorienting. Fortunately, this was never an issue. The action was handled well and i never found myself asking what is going on. The effects are very well done. Unlike sky captain, i never once felt like i was watching a movie that was filmed in a small room. The Cgi worked much like 300 in allowing you to immerse yourself in a believable and interesting world. The story and acting seemed more than passable, but i can see how some people would be bored in between the racing scenes, ESPECIALLY children. I didnt care for the story to much because i just dont like speed racer, not even with a western spice. It is definitely not a bad movie and not so deserving of all it's negative reviews.
In the end i'm just not sure who this movie is for. It is a bit to mature the younger kids, and a bit to silly for older teens and adults. The racing, however, can be enjoyed by everyone. If you want to see this movie, dont wait for dvd. Much like king kong and other event flicks, it is one you should see on the big screen to get the most out of it. If you're on the fence...,a 3 month wait for dvd is the way to go.

S_D_J
..... If you want to see this movie, dont wait for dvd. Much like king kong and other event flicks, it is one you should see on the big screen to get the most out of it. If you're on the fence...,a 3 month wait for dvd is the way to go.

or better yet: if you have a BR-HD Player (if it comes out for HD) get that one and enjoy it in HighDef

=Tired Hiker=
I finally went and saw Speed Racer on IMAX, and I liked it. I also rented the DVD of the old cartoons and I enjoyed them as well. The movie captured the silliness and over the top action that was in the cult classic cartoon series. I also noticed that the cartoon from the 60's could have influenced the Wachowski brother's camera angles and movements for the Matrix trilogy.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by S_D_J
or better yet: if you have a BR-HD Player (if it comes out for HD) get that one and enjoy it in HighDef

laughing i have a 15 year old, 36 inch JVC. The power and volume buttons on the t.v have fallen off and it weighs close to 200 pounds, but it still works. i'm gonna ride the wheels off that thing.

i have one of the first dvd/vhs players. The name is so generic that is was not listed on the list of brands for the universal remote i bought. Every once in a while it will take five minutes to load, but that b1tch still works and im riding the wheels off that one too

S_D_J
laughing i have a 15 year old, 36 inch JVC. The power and volume buttons on the t.v have fallen off and it weighs close to 200 pounds, but it still works. i'm gonna ride the wheels off that thing.

i have one of the first dvd/vhs players. The name is so generic that is was not listed on the list of brands for the universal remote i bought. Every once in a while it will take five minutes to load, but that b1tch still works and im riding the wheels off that one too

laughing

I have a Betamax.... but I don't wanna brag

I actually never seen a DVD/VHS combo... except for that one in The 40 Year Old Virgin

Quincy
I saw this movie last night.

I thought it was very good movie.

The movie itself was very unique, and I enjoyed being taken to a new type of atmosphere for a movie. The designs, the environment, the cars themselves, everything was just really vibrant and enjoyable.

The story itself I felt immersed in. Speed's love and admiration for his brother is conveyed very well, and the races themselves were just ****ing crazy.

honestly this is a movie i really really enjoyed. It was really different. And god damn, the main race, "The Crucible" or whatever, was just amazing.

Best Part of the movie? Obviously RACER X. Matthew Fox does a solid job of conveying mystery and he like, demands your attention during his scenes. A real show stealer. But those races, car battles and fight scenes are just really great. Holy shit.

If you like movies, (and I figure you all do, this is KMC) go check this flick out. It's really something to enjoy.

This has 'cult film" written all over it. Give it a year or so after dvd release.

i really feel bad about the negative vibes surrounding this movie. Critics and moviegoers have an awful habit of writing off a movie just because it's not the biggest thing at the box office.

For real. Check it out.

Admiral Akbar
Originally posted by Quincy

i really feel bad about the negative vibes surrounding this movie. Critics and moviegoers have an awful habit of writing off a movie just because it's not the biggest thing at the box office.

For real. Check it out.

It has negatives reviews because the movie is boring. CGI didn't look all that impressive either.

Blax_Hydralisk
It's funny how some people can say that movies like Speed Racer are boring, then say that movies like Star Wars: A New Hope, and There Will Be Blood, are the best movies ever.

Not pointing any fingers, I don't think anyone's done that here, but a lot of people do.

Mairuzu
People have their own taste, but yea... there will be blood was horrible

=Tired Hiker=
Originally posted by Mairuzu
People have their own taste, but yea... there will be blood was horrible I wouldn't say it was horrible, but all the CGI did suck the big hard one.

S_D_J
Originally posted by Admiral Akbar
It has negatives reviews because the movie is boring. CGI didn't look all that impressive either.

The Movie does get boring at times... Yes, I loved the movie, but i did find myself a little bored when the story moments and long dialogue played out, the story it's a bit convoluted for a movie of this kind, a good 10 minutes cut from it would have made the movie quicker in pace.

I had a whole kindergarten sit behind me (like ten 8-10 year olds there to celebrate one of the kid's birthday, and the kid's dad) they were thrilled during the racing sequences, but at many times they would lose attention and start talking because those scenes were too long. I hate kids sitting next to me (just as I hate ppl that won't shut up) when I'm watching a movie, but I certainly understand why they would lose attention (they are kids after all), but, at times, even I would think about something else... luckily for me, the dad saw how uncomfortable I was and had them all moved to the side seats next to aisle (I always sit in the middle of the row)

It's a family movie (it should be since it is a cartoon adaptation) but it has to much plot, when it should have been kept simple.

.... but for me all was worth it cuz of the trill ride the movie is.

The CG is not supposed to be realistic, that's the point of this movie, recreate the cartoon world, It's meant to be cheesy but at the same time it manages to create a sense of realism all the way through

... or you rather have another Sky Captain?.....

BruceSkywalker

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by S_D_J
laughing

I have a Betamax

laughing out loud wanna trade?

S_D_J
laughing out loud wanna trade?

Seriously? laughing out loud

I also have a Sony MiniDisc player

... yesterday, while cleaning my car I found a MiniDisc under the seat laughing Dunno If it works though

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by Blax_Hydralisk
It's funny how some people can say that movies like Speed Racer are boring, then say that movies like Star Wars: A New Hope, and There Will Be Blood, are the best movies ever.

Not pointing any fingers, I don't think anyone's done that here, but a lot of people do.

To be fair, a lack of flashing lights and colours doesn't necessarily mean boring to many people.

A great plot and great acting can entertain me a lot more than Speed Racer.

-AC

MildPossession
I would no doubt expect all the kids will adore it, so colourful and flashy, loud etc.

It will be a dvd wait for me, it reminds me of some Super Nintendo racing game that I can't quite get the name that someone plays in my house. Futuristic racing game and you can knock other machines off the road in one game, well that's the aim.

xNIXSONx

the reviews are negative because the movie appears to have an incoherent plot according to rottentomatoes and the action scenes are too busy and that there's too much going on.

however i loved the movie, convinces me that Speed really likes racing cool

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.