Gears of War 2 vs Halo 3

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Wil7
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/videos/gearsvshalo_120108.html

Tell me what you thought of the video.

General G
This is actually going on right now in the Gears of War 2 thread.

Nemesis X
Gears 2 is better. Are people actually serious about this?

Wil7
Yeah were serious. You want to fight about itboxing?

Mr.blanka
GoW2 wins in campaign but Halo 3 wins in Multiplayer.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Mr.blanka
GoW2 wins in campaign but Halo 3 wins in Multiplayer.

Obviously.

General G
I personally like Gears 2 better.

Although I know MANY people who prefer Halo 3 over Gears. It is but a matter of preference.

NonSensi-Klown
I prefer Gears in general. it's a better game.

Spartan005
Of course I like Halo 3 better but let me just explain why:

As far as the graphics go, gears obviously beats the crap out of Halo. Even if both games did come out at the same time Gears would still easily win, however Halo's environments are better IMO. In Halo 3 literally every single level has something different to look at while Gears 2 felt remarkably similar to the first game with the exception of the sunken city and the GIANT WORM!!! I felt that particularly in the second to last act in Gears 2, the underground areas just got boring and repetitive. Thats just my opinion, and that does not mean at all that I disliked the levels in gears, I just thought that Halos were better.

I think it's a complete joke that Gears won the best story category. I didn't even know Gears had one to begin with. And why is everyone praising the game for Dom's story with his wife Maria? It sucked.
Everytime a cutscene starts it show's Dom holding up his picture and looking sad, and then finally while he's underground he decides "hey, why don't I randomly ask this old guy if he knows maria?"

So he does and look at that! He knows Maria! What a coincedence!!!! And then Dom finds her and she dies. Boo hoo

Maybe I would have felt some emotion if I actually gave a crap about Maria, but I don't. And Dom's acting had something to be desired (not terrible though for a video game looking back) In Halo 3, Johnson's death did actually make me sad. I knew that guy for 3 entire games spanning over 6 years, so when he finally died I was sad/pissed. However I did like the idea that Dom had to shoot his wife, with Marcus walking away as the gun was shot. That was a nice effect.

The music is good in Gears but absolutely superb in Halo. I was actually really impressed this time around too by gears. In fact as soon as I turned on the game the first thing I noticed was the main theme playing in the background as I signed in. But even though it improved, I have yet to see any composer (in video games) beat Martin O'Donells insane score

If IGN got anything wrong I think it would actually have to be the gameplay. While I personally enjoy Halo's gameplay more, it makes absolutely no sense to even be comparing the two. Gears is a third person tactical shooter while Halo is a run and gun (while still being slightly tactical) first person shooter. Obviously Gears is a bit slower and almost repetitive considering the shoot - take cover - shoot - take cover style of gameplay, but thats every 3rd person shooter for you. If anything, the brilliant idea of having a chainsaw bayonet on the bottom of the lancer should have made this category a tie, but whatever. Halo must have twice the amount of weapons and countless ways of killing people such as dual weilding, sniping, vehicles, rockets, assault rifles, and the spartan lazer to name a few... as opposed to gears where most people stick to either the lancer, shotgun, or sniper. Again that's all preference and really shouldn't, hell... can't be compared. Well unless we're talking about multiplayer.

General G
I wanna rip your post apart...I don't however have the time...

Nactous
Halo 3 actually has a story "line" as opposed to random ass encounters or tiny subplots that attempt to make a real one.

Nactous
Double post

Nactous
Originally posted by Spartan005

I think it's a complete joke that Gears won the best story category.

I am too since there is no story....

General G
Originally posted by Nactous
Halo 3 actually has a story "line" as opposed to random ass encounters or tiny subplots that attempt to make a real one.

It all depends on how far into the story your looking into, you search deeper into Gears' and you'll find a nice enough one for the shooter it is, although of course lol it won't be much, Halo does have a better story stick out tongue

But Halo's can be overly simplified just like Gears' can also. So really it depends on how far you look into it erm

But for me, Halo's story is better, but both can be utterly simplified into crap or both can be over expanded.

Menetnashté
Ugh don't exactly like the guy giving all the judging there lol. I gotta say I disagree with almost all of his stuff... erm I'd give graphics to Gears, sound to Gears (simply because other than the background music in Halo 3 Gears sounds better...), Story would go to Halo, gameplay to gears, feature set to Halo and Multiplayer I have no clue, simply because I don't like Halo and I like Gears but so many bugs prevent Gears from reaching the pinnacle of its ability.

NonSensi-Klown
I would say that that the concept of "forge mode" in itself puts Halo's multiplayer above Gear's.

Menetnashté
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
I would say that that the concept of "forge mode" in itself puts Halo's multiplayer above Gear's.
Yeah but you pretty much have to be in a private match to use it don't you?

Alpha Centauri
I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction, when they have become attached to an anonymous marine in a green space suit, who does absolutely nothing to develop any emotional attachment to him.

Master Chief is the kind of "hero" little boys would have posters of on their wall. Otherwise known as the kind of hero you grow out of. I can sympathise with Dom's situation, couldn't give a shit about Master Chief.

Gears has as much of a story as Halo, neither of them are brilliant. The only reason people are praising either is because they might have PERSONALLY got something out if it, neither is particularly complex or profound.

You being more attached to Halo's Johnson (There has been no truer wording) doesn't mean the story was better, it means you're a sap.

-AC

NonSensi-Klown

Nactous
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction,-AC

That's all there is though, and That's sad.

Nactous
You being more attached to Halo's Johnson (There has been no truer wording) doesn't mean the story was better, it means you're a sap.

-AC

At least hes been in all three games! Gears fanboys have to be pretty damn sensitive to think the death of someone you just met is emotional. Thats as gay as the Gears 2 TV spot, you might as well be Cole 'scoping' out that damn flower.

Zack Fair
LoL

Nactous
wink

Zack Fair
The flower scene has more depth than everything Halo ever dished out. You can clearly see the emotion in Cole's eyes through the scope's lenses because he is thinking about how the god damned flower will look after he BOOM headshots it to oblivion. Cole's struggle becomes more intense because he begins to realize the damned thing does not even have a head...but what does he care!? HE IS THE COLE TRAIN BABY!

Nactous
Originally posted by Zack Fair
The flower scene has more depth than everything Halo ever dished out. You can clearly see the emotion in Cole's eyes through the scope's lenses because he is thinking about how the god damned flower will look after he BOOM headshots it to oblivion. Cole's struggle becomes more intense because he begins to realize the damned thing does not even have a head...but what does he care!? HE IS THE COLE TRAIN BABY!

laughing laughing Ive got to disagree though, Halo 3 had one of the most thought provoking print ads ive ever seen for a game. "A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him..."

ragesRemorse

No, it really doesn't have a story. Unless of course, you mean the same story that the previous two games had. like Gears of War, there is just enough story in Halo to justify it's existence as a game. If you prefer the story that Halo offers over what Gears offers use that as an argument but don't say, "Halo is better because it has a story and Gears doesn't." That is simply not true. Both games have just as much story and character development as the other. Both games are riddled with the same, tired cliche's and the same tired story arcs. I give both games credit, though, for making fun of the same cliche's they incorporate.

The original Halo may have had more of a compelling story than both Gears games but since then the sequels have been nothing but a recycled plot of the original. If anything, the biggest problem Halo 3 had was it's lack of story.

Victor Von Doom
laughing laughing Ive got to disagree though, Halo 3 had one of the most thought provoking print ads ive ever seen for a game. "A hero need not speak, for when he is gone the world will speak for him..."

What thoughts exactly did that provoke?

Wil7
I don't have an Xbox360, and I think everyone knows why. I will say though if I did have a Xbox360, Gears, and Halo will definitely be games I would by. They both kinda seem like Resistance games to me. I will say I couldn't choose which one is better, because they both seem like fun games.

Menetnashté
I love how every little Halo fanboy is picking on the Dom/Maria interaction, when they have become attached to an anonymous marine in a green space suit, who does absolutely nothing to develop any emotional attachment to him.

Master Chief is the kind of "hero" little boys would have posters of on their wall. Otherwise known as the kind of hero you grow out of. I can sympathise with Dom's situation, couldn't give a shit about Master Chief.

Gears has as much of a story as Halo, neither of them are brilliant. The only reason people are praising either is because they might have PERSONALLY got something out if it, neither is particularly complex or profound.

-AC
Well from someone who doesn't like Halo and Does like Gears I can say that the Dom Maria relationship wasn't profound enough for me to care...I mean seriously why do I care about her, because Dom did? We start out with him looking for her and other than a dream sequence for 30 seconds and a picture what do we have to like her for? Sarge however has been at your side throughout Halo he's a badass and has saved your ass on several occasions. The only thing sympathetic about maria was the end situation, it was a tough decision but in the end that's all it was and after she died you're immediately over it. I can say throughout the rest of the game I could've cared less about Maria, she was nothing but a subplot to me. However throughout the little that was left of Halo I still felt bad that Sarge died for me.

Nemesis X
People give a **** about Johnson because he's been through 3 Halo games. Big ******* whoop. The stupid bird appears through all three Banjo games but I do give a crap about him? No!

Zack Fair
Chill dude.

Nactous
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
No, it really doesn't have a story. Unless of course, you mean the same story that the previous two games had. like Gears of War, there is just enough story in Halo to justify it's existence as a game. If you prefer the story that Halo offers over what Gears offers use that as an argument but don't say, "Halo is better because it has a story and Gears doesn't." That is simply not true. Both games have just as much story and character development as the other. Both games are riddled with the same, tired cliche's and the same tired story arcs. I give both games credit, though, for making fun of the same cliche's they incorporate.

The original Halo may have had more of a compelling story than both Gears games but since then the sequels have been nothing but a recycled plot of the original. If anything, the biggest problem Halo 3 had was it's lack of story.

Its not possible to tell Gear's story without sidetracking is it not?

Nemesis X
Well I'm just ticked off about this. You're saying Halo 3's story is better because Johnson gets killed by a beam from some stupid robot? Bad excuse. In Gears 2, Dom shoots his wife. You're saying the wife thing doesn't matter because she wasn't even in the first Gears? OMG!

Nactous
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Well I'm just ticked off about this. You're saying Halo 3's story is better because Johnson gets killed by a beam from some stupid robot? Bad excuse. In Gears 2, Dom shoots his wife. You're saying the wife thing doesn't matter because she wasn't even in the first Gears? OMG!

Not really the fact that hes been killed by a beam as much to the fact that hes been fighting with you since the beginning. If your a Halo fan than you've been with him for six or seven years.

Dom's wife on the other hand shows up out of the blue and has no emotional connection with you since this is the first you've seen of her.

Also, Johnson's death was an act of betrayal, killed by someone he thought he could trust and someone who he had saved the live of before.

Nemesis X
I've played all the Halo games and knew that Johnson's been fighting along side me all this time. I just don't feel sad or mad that Johnson's dead. In fact, I don't even care.

Nactous
I've played all the Halo games and knew that Johnson's been fighting along side me all this time. I just don't feel sad or mad that Johnson's dead. In fact, I don't even care.

But you care about some woman who just showed up?!?! Out of no where?

Menetnashté
wow

Alpha Centauri
Nactous didn't answer the question;

"Halo had a thought provoking print campaign.".

What thoughts did these provoke? If it takes an advertising board for a mediocre video game to make you think, then that's something to say about your intelllect.

Additionally, you're confusing the issue. The Dom/Maria story wasn't meant to convey or confirm attachment to any ONE character, it was meant to make you feel sympathetic to Dom, who you did know, for losing someone in such a horrible way, the was obviously so close to him. If it didn't do that, then it simply didn't work for you. That doesn't make it any less or more emotional than a Halo death.

-AC

Nactous
Nactous didn't answer the question;

"Halo had a thought provoking print campaign.".

What thoughts did these provoke? -AC

I didnt see that, thanks AC, I'll get to that now. To me it provokes the ultimate persona of a hero. Listen to the words. "Need not speak, world will speak for him." That everything still standing is a testament to what he did, his sacrifice that he made, it "speaks for him because hes the reason its still there. He doesn't have to talk a lot, or use catch phrases that sound like that that were made by 11 year old, "Eat shit and Die" anyone?

Alpha Centauri
Well thanks AC, I was just getting to that. To me it provokes the ultimate persona of a hero. Listen to the words. "Need not speak, world will speak for him." That everything still standing is a testament to what he did, his sacrifice that he made, it "speaks for him because hes the reason its still there. He doesn't have to talk a lot, or use catch phrases that sound like that that were made by 11 year old, "Eat shit and Die" anyone?

The irony is that those kind of pseudo-philosophical phrases only appeal to kids who haven't got a clue what is actually intelligent.

"Eat shit and die" isn't meant as anything clever, so critiquing it for not being clever is a bit stupid. Halo's cookie-cutter, pseudo-philosophical phrasings aren't clever either. They mean what they say.

"A hero need not speak, for when he is gone, the world will speak for him".

What? Sounds like the tagline from Troy or something silly like that. How is that thought provoking? Thought provoking is to provoke general and relatively focused or deep thought. Usually stemming from subjects or phrases that can imply many different things.

That one doesn't, because it has one very obvious meaning; it's just a way of saying that heroes "live" long after they are dead, through legend. It's a premise that has been used in battle speeches in just about every medieval/historical movie of the past million years.

If you have a shred of sense, you might think "Oh, it means that.". It's thought provoking if you don't get the simple and obvious meaning. It's not some deep, profound comment with many ways of being interpreted, it's a very simple quote. There's nothing special about it.

-AC

Nactous
t's not some deep, profound comment with many ways of being interpreted, it's a very simple quote. There's nothing special about it.

-AC

And "hope runs deep" is?

Alpha Centauri
I never said it was, Gears never said it was, Gears fans haven't (To my knowledge) said it was.

What's your point? I'll tell you mine:

Halo and Gears are not deep games, they don't have deep, intricate stories.

You got pissed because you're a Halo-ite, failing to realise that I wasn't so much defending Gears as I was merely proving that Halo is no better in that sense.

That's typical fanboy though, you can't defend your point, so you attack the other. I call it the Republicaniser.

-AC

Nactous
I never said it was, Gears never said it was, Gears fans haven't (To my knowledge) said it was.

What's your point? I'll tell you mine:

Halo and Gears are not deep games, they don't have deep, intricate stories.

You got pissed because you're a Halo-ite, failing to realise that I wasn't so much defending Gears as I was merely proving that Halo is no better in that sense.

That's typical fanboy though, you can't defend your point, so you attack the other. I call it the Republicaniser.

-AC

Oh I think my job of defending has been satisfactory. Depth of something can always vary, I guess it depends on the person interpreting it then......

Alpha Centauri
Oh I think my job of defending has been satisfactory. Depth of something can always vary, I guess it depends on the person interpreting it then......

No, it doesn't.

Gears and Halo both have really simple stories, that's all there is to it.

Whether or not you found the characters and events WITHIN those simple stories as meaningful or emotional is another matter. That does not mean it's complex or intricate.

Gears and Halo are not complicated premises, they're very, very simple.

People saying Halo's storyline is better are being silly. They're BOTH generic, they're BOTH simple, they're both pretty similar in that respect. What people are confusing is how much emotional investment they have, with how basically intricate (Or not) a story is.

You being emotionally involved in Halo does not mean the story isn't simple. The same can be said for anyone emotionally involved in Gears. They're both very uncomplicated stories.

That isn't opinion, that's pretty much fact.

-AC

THE JLRTENJAC
I call it the Republicaniser.

ouch... and un-called for.

Nactous
So your telling me;
an alien race led by a false sense of religious priority that systemically wipes out other races and eventually encounters human kind and proceeds to destroy their colonies. Only intern to have the humans rebel by kidnapping human children that can be genetically and cybernetic altered to be used as a weapon against the invading Covenant for several years until the destruction of the final colony of Reach which leads to a lone ship escaping the destruction carrying the last known(there are a lot more) Spartan 2 program member, then crashing on a ring world that not only is a weapon to wipe out all life in the universe, but is in-fact a weapon that is meant to starve the parasitic life from another galaxy which is the biggest threat of all.

The hero then in turn destroys the ring after numerous betrayals by believed friends and allies, escapes back to earth just before another massive assault by one of the corrupt religious leaders, holds the line until the enemy retreats, takes the fight to a second weapon world where he assassinates one of the hierarchies. While at the same time someone on the opposing side of the battle hunts down a Hieratic that is believed to be spurting lies (which later are relieved to be true and were in-fact brought forth by the one who betrayed you in the first installment of the series.) Later to have the religious warrior betrayed by his own side after he uncovers the lies him and his people have been following under the pretense of, the betrayal not only results in a "nation" wide schism, but also the outcast(and believed death) of the former "Holy warrior" where during which he also encounters the Hero being held captive by the parasite hive mind, who then sends them each to a.) Allow the Hero to live up to his title by hunting down the last of the religious government leaders, which results in the death of one of them as well as the abandonment of the Hero's friend and adviser. b.) Send the "Holy Warrior" after revenge and justice as he slashes through the particular species (which took his owns long held spot in the ranking order) which results in him stopping the firing sequence of the second ring world and activating a beacon that leads to the only "remote controller" for all six reaming weapons, while the Hero returns to Earth defending it form a second attack.

While on earth the Hero discovers the armada is the largest the enemies ever assembled, and teams up with the "holy warrior" who informs him the "remote controller" is in-fact hidden within Earths crust and is the targeted area for the majority of the fleet. Before the area can be assaulted the militarise last base must be evacuated which leads to a very large human mobilization towards the enemies territory in which the "remote controller" turns out to be a portal which is used by the last reaming religious leader. The two heroes pursue but first must defend Earth from the parasite which has escaped containment and has found its way to Earth, the encounter leaves the Hero with the knowledge that his good friend and adviser is being tortured and used by the parasites hive mind, which sends a small grouping of both groups into the beyond. This venture finds the both of them and their armies engaged in the farthest reaches of the universe fighting on the one device that can activate all of the rings as well as create more. After the "Holy Warrior" gets his revenge against the deranged religious leader(destabilising that faction)he Hero then decides to activate the ring to destroy both the weapon and the parasite but first must find his friend in the ruined "Holy City" of the enemy which has been taken over by the parasite. The Hero then finds his friend as well as the "key" she had kept of the original ring which could be used to activate its replacement, the three of them along with a military Sargent storm the control room, which leads to the death of the Sargent by the traitor from the first one as well as the activation of the ring which destroys the device that could control them all and mass produce them as well. Post explosion you see the "Holly Warrior" return safely, as will as the presumed death of the Hero who in-fact does survive and is floating in space ready to save another day.....

...this is "generic" and simple "story" telling? especially compared too....

A story where another Hero is broken out of jail by an old friend, is remarkably reinstated into the military after being a traitor with no question, joins up with a group who is out to nuke a race of mutants that live bellow, has two of the members die gruesome deaths who are replaced by an ******* and a football player, then go to some hobos to find a car which has a mounted flashlight as a weapon which drives them to some mining facility, which in order to get to the depths they ride mine carts(ala Donkey Kong style.) While down there they set off a bomb which doesn't know what to hit, sending the squad to the Hero's dads house who, for some reason contains a layout of the Locus strong hold, which then sends them to a train station that for some reason already has the bombs waiting there. After taking out the General they then detonate the bombs underground which doesn't look like it hurts the enemy at all.

Fast forward a few months where the enemy has doubled its size somehow and are sinking cities, the best friend apparently has a wife that's missing, and the humans need to mobilize a massive force(sound familiar), which leads them to the mountains and eventually the death of a giant worm. And then for some reason takes them to an abandon lab which features hybrids(the history of which is not explored) and eventually puts them underground where the "best friend" shoots the wife we didn't know he had, and then precedes with the group to assault the castle that is also under siege by a schism of the enemy(once again, sound familiar). Finally the Hero sinks the city he was trying to protect before the game ends somewhat abruptly....

Even though Halo is a trilogy, the first two installments alone have more plot than the Gears series as it stands. That's not a matter of opinion That's a fact.

Alpha Centauri
So your telling me;
an alien race led by a false sense of religious priority that systemically wipes out other races and eventually encounters human kind and proceeds to destroy their colonies. Only intern to have the humans rebel by kidnapping human children that can be genetically and cybernetic altered to be used as a weapon against the invading Covenant for several years until the destruction of the final colony of Reach which leads to a lone ship escaping the destruction carrying the last known(there are a lot more) Spartan 2 program member, then crashing on a ring world that not only is a weapon to wipe out all life in the universe, but is in-fact a weapon that is meant to starve the parasitic life from another galaxy which is the biggest threat of all.

The hero then in turn destroys the ring after numerous betrayals by believed friends and allies, escapes back to earth just before another massive assault by one of the corrupt religious leaders, holds the line until the enemy retreats, takes the fight to a second weapon world where he assassinates one of the hierarchies. While at the same time someone on the opposing side of the battle hunts down a Hieratic that is believed to be spurting lies (which later are relieved to be true and were in-fact brought forth by the one who betrayed you in the first installment of the series.) Later to have the religious warrior betrayed by his own side after he uncovers the lies him and his people have been following under the pretense of, the betrayal not only results in a "nation" wide schism, but also the outcast(and believed death) of the former "Holy warrior" where during which he also encounters the Hero being held captive by the parasite hive mind, who then sends them each to a.) Allow the Hero to live up to his title by hunting down the last of the religious government leaders, which results in the death of one of them as well as the abandonment of the Hero's friend and adviser. b.) Send the "Holy Warrior" after revenge and justice as he slashes through the particular species (which took his owns long held spot in the ranking order) which results in him stopping the firing sequence of the second ring world and activating a beacon that leads to the only "remote controller" for all six reaming weapons, while the Hero returns to Earth defending it form a second attack.

While on earth the Hero discovers the armada is the largest the enemies ever assembled, and teams up with the "holy warrior" who informs him the "remote controller" is in-fact hidden within Earths crust and is the targeted area for the majority of the fleet. Before the area can be assaulted the militarise last base must be evacuated which leads to a very large human mobilization towards the enemies territory in which the "remote controller" turns out to be a portal which is used by the last reaming religious leader. The two heroes pursue but first must defend Earth from the parasite which has escaped containment and has found its way to Earth, the encounter leaves the Hero with the knowledge that his good friend and adviser is being tortured and used by the parasites hive mind, which sends a small grouping of both groups into the beyond. This venture finds the both of them and their armies engaged in the farthest reaches of the universe fighting on the one device that can activate all of the rings as well as create more. After the "Holy Warrior" gets his revenge against the deranged religious leader(destabilising that faction)he Hero then decides to activate the ring to destroy both the weapon and the parasite but first must find his friend in the ruined "Holy City" of the enemy which has been taken over by the parasite. The Hero then finds his friend as well as the "key" she had kept of the original ring which could be used to activate its replacement, the three of them along with a military Sargent storm the control room, which leads to the death of the Sargent by the traitor from the first one as well as the activation of the ring which destroys the device that could control them all and mass produce them as well. Post explosion you see the "Holly Warrior" return safely, as will as the presumed death of the Hero who in-fact does survive and is floating in space ready to save another day.....

...this is "generic" and simple "story" telling? especially compared too....

A story where another Hero is broken out of jail by an old friend, is remarkably reinstated into the military after being a traitor with no question, joins up with a group who is out to nuke a race of mutants that live bellow, has two of the members die gruesome deaths who are replaced by an ******* and a football player, then go to some hobos to find a car which has a mounted flashlight as a weapon which drives them to some mining facility, which in order to get to the depths they ride mine carts(ala Donkey Kong style.) While down there they set off a bomb which doesn't know what to hit, sending the squad to the Hero's dads house who, for some reason contains a layout of the Locus strong hold, which then sends them to a train station that for some reason already has the bombs waiting there. After taking out the General they then detonate the bombs underground which doesn't look like it hurts the enemy at all.

Fast forward a few months where the enemy has doubled its size somehow and are sinking cities, the best friend apparently has a wife that's missing, and the humans need to mobilize a massive force(sound familiar), which leads them to the mountains and eventually the death of a giant worm. And then for some reason takes them to an abandon lab which features hybrids(the history of which is not explored) and eventually puts them underground where the "best friend" shoots the wife we didn't know he had, and then precedes with the group to assault the castle that is also under siege by a schism of the enemy(once again, sound familiar). Finally the Hero sinks the city he was trying to protect before the game ends somewhat abruptly....

Even though Halo is a trilogy, the first two installments alone have more plot than the Gears series as it stands. That's not a matter of opinion That's a fact.

You see, what you did there was sit and type out a massive, elaborate re-telling of Halo's story in your own words, while casually typing out your own personal interpretation of Gears.

If I sat here for an hour, I could type an interpretation of Gears' story that makes it look like War and Peace, but I wouldn't, because that would only be a personal and elongated interpretation.

The bottom line and hardcore fact is this:

Halo is about a hero triumphing over a massive alien threat.

Gears is about heroes triumphing over massive alien threats.

There really isn't a great amount of detail in either of the two franchises, you see, and your rabid, almost hysterical fanboying will never, ever change that.

Story TELLING can be as intricate as you like, YOU just proved that. Do you not see? You just intricately explained Halo's story, but it doesn't change the fact that Halo's story is essentially still your generic, bog-standard hero Vs almost insurmountable evil, but wins, story. Also, why do you keep saying "Sound familiar?", PRECISELY my point.

They are both similar in so many ways, because they're basically your generic hero story. You can't sit there slyly saying Gears is copying, but then say Halo is an intricately woven tale of heroism. They're both generic and both uncomplicated.

It won't change, no matter how often you squeeze your eyes shut and pray. Now...you've got to wake up, son! You have chores to do!

-AC

Zack Fair
Say there is one thing that always bugs me about calling the Locust aliens...They come from within Earth? Doesn't that mean they are more earthlings than us? Dunno if anyone catches my drift.

Alpha Centauri
That's actually one of Gears' elements that was genuinely intriguing, unlike Halo.

The Locust seemed to be Sera's original inhabitants, and it has been theorised that they fight to keep their own imulsion from being depleted by the humans who have re-located there, because it's not based on Earth.

If that's true, it adds a whole new dimension to the story, one that Halo doesn't actually have, because that actually makes you question beyond good and evil, and into right or wrong. Though, I'm not entirely sure if that's the canon.

-AC

Nactous
That's actually one of Gears' elements that was genuinely intriguing, unlike Halo.

The Locust seemed to be Sera's original inhabitants, and it has been theorised that they fight to keep their own imulsion from being depleted by the humans who have re-located there, because it's not based on Earth.

If that's true, it adds a whole new dimension to the story, one that Halo doesn't actually have, because that actually makes you question beyond good and evil, and into right or wrong. Though, I'm not entirely sure if that's the canon.

-AC

Oh please, Im a fan yes, fan boy no. More than I can say about you though. Bottom line, Halo has more plot thus far, that's unarguable. Emotion aside as well as your own sense of "generic" and unexciting, there's just more going on there. Period.

And if you dont like either, then why bother?

Alpha Centauri
Oh please, Im a fan yes, fan boy no. More than I can say about you though. Bottom line, Halo has more plot thus far, that's unarguable. Emotion aside as well as your own sense of "generic" and unexciting, there's just more going on there. Period.

No, you very much are a fanboy. Me? I'm not DEFENDING Gears, I'm simply saying that Halo isn't any better in terms of plot complexity, that's all. I know that's a concept that you wrestle with like you're trying to catch a greased bar of soap, but it's true.

Who care's about AMOUNT of plot? We're not talking about AMOUNT of plot, we're talking about overall complexity of the stories.

They are very much uncomplicated stories, there isn't much to either of them, unless the Sera theory is true, in which case that adds a lot more to the general themes of Gears than it would have had otherwise, but I'll not make assumptions.

Point is, focus. We're not discussing quantity of plot, we're discussing complexity or intricacy. NEITHER are especially, so stop elevating one above the other.

If someone said "Gears is way deeper and more complex than Halo!", I'd say "No it's not, what are you talking about?". Also, where did I say "I don't like either story."? I don't play Gears for the story, I wouldn't play Halo for the story, because neither are that great. So, Einstein, what it comes down to is...? Go on! Bring it home! Oh you can't, I'll do it, then;

PERSONAL preference as to which game is more enjoyable to PLAY, irrespective of story.

Do ya see mah point? Do ya? Do ya see it? Finally? Thought not. I guess I'll have to lay that out too:

It's stupid to argue Halo's story Vs Gears', from an OBJECTIVE stance, because BOTH are very, very simple. It makes more sense to just explain why you found one game to be better than they other. If you say "Because Halo's story meant more to me.", then fine, but that's personal extraction, not OBJECTIVE story complexity.

Do you understand?

-AC

Nactous
No, you very much are a fanboy. Me? I'm not DEFENDING Gears, I'm simply saying that Halo isn't any better in terms of plot complexity, that's all. I know that's a concept that you wrestle with like you're trying to catch a greased bar of soap, but it's true.

Who care's about AMOUNT of plot? We're not talking about AMOUNT of plot, we're talking about overall complexity of the stories.

They are very much uncomplicated stories, there isn't much to either of them, unless the Sera theory is true, in which case that adds a lot more to the general themes of Gears than it would have had otherwise, but I'll not make assumptions.

Point is, focus. We're not discussing quantity of plot, we're discussing complexity or intricacy. NEITHER are especially, so stop elevating one above the other.

If someone said "Gears is way deeper and more complex than Halo!", I'd say "No it's not, what are you talking about?".

-AC

No, then again I don't think you are a fanboy, just really anti-Bungie. wink But wouldn't the amount of plot determined its complexity?

WrathfulDwarf
Originally posted by Wil7
http://xbox360.ign.com/dor/objects/14232680/gears-of-war-2/videos/gearsvshalo_120108.html

Tell me what you thought of the video.

I like them both.

Alpha Centauri
Why would it, Nac? Why would amount of plot determine complexity?

The Lord of the Rings is a massive story, it's not the most complicated thing in the world. However, why do people enjoy them? Because regardless of complexity or not, they enjoy the basic premise. The very basic premise which is: Good vs Evil.

That's my point. It doesn't matter how it's told, what matters is what's being told. You can complicate a simple story premise, but it's still a simple story.

-AC

Nactous
Why would it, Nac? Why would amount of plot determine complexity?

The Lord of the Rings is a massive story, it's not the most complicated thing in the world. However, why do people enjoy them? Because regardless of complexity or not, they enjoy the basic premise. The very basic premise which is: Good vs Evil.

That's my point. It doesn't matter how it's told, what matters is what's being told. You can complicate a simple story premise, but it's still a simple story.

-AC

But people don't want complex stories....

Nor do they truly want simple ones....

Alpha Centauri
But people don't want complex stories....

Nor do they truly want simple ones....

People are generally stupid, though. They want things they can "get", without feeling dumb. Hence Coldplay, Halo (In my opinion), Harry Potter, Twilight etc.

Either way, if you're aware that Halo's story isn't actually complicated or objectively deep, or overly intelligent...and we can agree that neither is Gears', then what has been your issue?

See, when you stop swigging the Fan-Fizz, everything is much clearer.

-AC

Nactous
People are generally stupid, though. They want things they can "get", without feeling dumb. Hence Coldplay, Halo, arguably Gears, Harry Potter, Twilight etc.

Either way, if you're aware that Halo's story isn't actually complicated or objectively deep, or overly intelligent...and we can agree that neither is Gears', then what has been your issue?

See, when you stop swigging the Fan-Fizz, everything is much clearer.

-AC

No, I still feel its deeper due to the back story, but I am thinking more about the complexity issue more. Too complex and you cant follow, not enough and its a bore. You remember how all of this started right?

Alpha Centauri
No, I still feel its deeper due to the back story, but I am thinking more about the complexity issue more. Too complex and you cant follow, not enough and its a bore. You remember how all of this started right?

You feel it's deeper? Why?

It's not deeper in the sense of complexity, they're essentially the same premise. You are claiming it's deeper because of how much plot there is, right? It doesn't matter, because what goes ON in that plot does not amount to anything more than a generic hero story, that YOU have emotional attachment to.

Your emotional attachment does not make it complex or more intricate than Gears.

If you mean "I think it's deeper." because you personally got more out of what was there, then fine.

Halo's story, OBJECTIVELY, is NOT complicated or intricate. That's...fact. It's just not. You are incorrectly connecting amount and length with complexity.

X-Men had three movies, Fight Club had one. Fight Club is actually way more intricate than X-Men, it doesn't matter that there's more of X-Men.

To further the example, Fight Club had ONE book, whereas X-Men has been going for multiple decades. It's still not a more complicated premise than Fight Club (Not to suggest Fight Club is super advanced or anything, just as examples).

-AC

Nactous
You feel it's deeper? Why?

It's not deeper in the sense of complexity, they're essentially the same premise. You are claiming it's deeper because of how much plot there is, right? It doesn't matter, because what goes ON in that plot does not amount to anything more than a generic hero story, that YOU have emotional attachment to.

Your emotional attachment does not make it complex or more intricate than Gears.

If you mean "I think it's deeper." because you personally got more out of what was there, then fine.

Halo's story, OBJECTIVELY, is NOT complicated or intricate. That's...fact. It's just not. You are incorrectly connecting amount and length with complexity.

X-Men had three movies, Fight Club had one. Fight Club is actually way more intricate than X-Men, it doesn't matter that there's more of X-Men.

-AC

No, its deeper because it has underlying tones. Besides whos to say YOU should be the one saying "I don't think its deep." Complexity is a matter of opinion.

Alpha Centauri
No, its deeper because it has underlying tones. Besides whos to say YOU should be the one saying "I don't think its deep." Complexity is a matter of opinion.

What underying tones? I know Halo's story, there are no "underlying" tones that make it complex or intricate. Even reading your OWN version, there are no underlying themes. Well, there are no themes that move it away from remaining a generic hero story.

Complexity isn't a matter of opinion, really. You can't choose how intricate something is. If there's a really gigantic maze with a million twists and turns, and one that really isn't that hard to traverse, you can't sit there and choose which one is more complex.

I think you are confusing underlying themes with what YOU saw in the story PERSONALLY, and you're wrong to do so. You did it a while ago with Halo's ad campaign. That isn't an intricate or deep quote, but you claimed it was because you decided to over-interpret it, like you're doing with Halo's generic story.

If the Sera story is true, then THAT is an underlying theme, because it isn't subjective. That theme is there, fact. The things you claim are "Underlying themes" in Halo, are really just you interpreting very simple things.

Look at the way you described the end:

"Post explosion you see the 'Holly Warrior' return safely, as will as the presumed death of the Hero who in-fact does survive and is floating in space ready to save another day.....".

You honestly do not get any more of a generic story than that. It doesn't matter what happened before, because it still came to a crushingly mediocre (Subjective) and GENERIC (Objective) end. Generic, by definition, is the direct opposite of the word "Specific". Halo's story is not specific, there are many, many films and games, books and comics that have similar premises.

-AC

Nactous
What underying tones? I know Halo's story, there are no "underlying" tones that make it complex or intricate. Even reading your OWN version, there are no underlying themes. Well, there are no themes that move it away from remaining a generic hero story.

Complexity isn't a matter of opinion, really. You can't choose how intricate something is. If there's a really gigantic maze with a million twists and turns, and one that really isn't that hard to traverse, you can't sit there and choose which one is more complex.

I think you are confusing underlying themes with what YOU saw in the story PERSONALLY, and you're wrong to do so. You did it a while ago with Halo's ad campaign. That isn't an intricate or deep quote, but you claimed it was because you decided to over-interpret it, like you're doing with Halo's generic story.

If the Sera story is true, then THAT is an underlying theme, because it isn't subjective. That theme is there, fact. The things you claim are "Underlying themes" in Halo, are really just you interpreting very simple things.

-AC

Corrupt Religion was one I mentioned.

And yes complexity is a point of view, its all about perception.

Alpha Centauri
Corrupt Religion was one I mentioned.

And yes complexity is a point of view, its all about perception.

So? That doesn't make the story complicated, intricate or less generic, especially considering the ending.

No, it's not "all about" perception. Some things are just not complicated, that's a fact, and some are.

-AC

Nactous
So? That doesn't make the story complicated, intricate or less generic, especially considering the ending.

No, it's not "all about" perception. Some things are just not complicated, that's a fact, and some are.

-AC

No there not, see that's what sparked this whole debate in the beginning. Was opinion/point of view offered up as fact. You said Halo's story was shit, point is, its all based of opinion and the individuals opinion. And the simple fact of the matter is, to each his own..... ironicly based of his/her own perseption.

Alpha Centauri
No there not, see that's what sparked this whole debate in the beginning. Was opinion/point of view offered up as fact. You said Halo's story was shit, point is, its all based of opinion and the individuals opinion. And the simple fact of the matter is, to each his own..... ironicly based of his/her own perseption.

...I seriously wonder about people. It can't be just me. Yes, some things are factually more complicated than others. What are you talking about?

You're saying that NOTHING is complicated OR easy, it's all down to the person? NOTHING at all?

Look, Halo's story being shit is my opinion. It being simple is not, and I'm not saying it's shit because it's simple.

What about that is honestly confusing you?

-AC

THE JLRTENJAC
Say there is one thing that always bugs me about calling the Locust aliens...They come from within Earth? Doesn't that mean they are more earthlings than us? Dunno if anyone catches my drift.

Well if a person from another country is an alien, then so can a being of a different race that comes from underground... besides it's not earth, it's sera.

Nactous
...I seriously wonder about people. It can't be just me. Yes, some things are factually more complicated than others. What are you talking about?

You're saying that NOTHING is complicated OR easy, it's all down to the person? NOTHING at all?

Look, Halo's story being shit is my opinion. It being simple is not, and I'm not saying it's shit because it's simple.

What about that is honestly confusing you?

-AC

The simple thing is to someone, a task could seem difficult and complicated, where to the next it could be simple. Its all about the perception... And yes, it being simple is still your opinion.

Theres nothing confusing me at all, I unlike you do not set the "bar" at my expectations and mine alone.

Alpha Centauri
The simple thing is to someone, a task could seem difficult and complicated, where to the next it could be simple. Its all about the perception...

That is only applicable in SOME cases, not all. Like, playing guitar or swimming.

Halo's plot and premise is a simple one, you are over-elaborating it based on your emotional investment.

-AC

Nactous

Halo's plot and premise is a simple one-AC

That can be more complicated if you take every aspect into consideration, its all about perception and how you look at it.

Alpha Centauri
That can be more complicated if you take every aspect into consideration, its all about perception and how you look at it.

Ahh, so you are genuinely not capable of getting it, then. You're not just ignorant.

PERCEPTION is what's making it complicated to you, exactly. You are confusing "I got all this stuff out of it.", with "It's a complicated story.". It's not, you just got a lot out of it. It's a simple story that happened to click with you, and therefore you got a lot out of it.

If you can't accept that, then it's obviously you're a fanboy who gets his kicks from insisting he likes something "complex".

-AC

Nactous
Ahh, so you are genuinely not capable of getting it, then. You're not just ignorant.

PERCEPTION is what's making it complicated to you, exactly. You are confusing "I got all this stuff out of it.", with "It's a complicated story.". It's not, you just got a lot out of it. It's a simple story that happened to click with you, and therefore you got a lot out of it.

If you can't accept that, then it's obviously you're a fanboy who gets his kicks from insisting he likes something "complex".

-AC

I see your still trying to force you opinion on people, well.....
Why don't you give me an example of a game that is complex then....

Alpha Centauri
There aren't many, if any truly "complex" games, in terms of plot.

Half-Life, System Shock 2, Deus Ex etc all have a lot more to their stories, development and themes-wise, than Halo does. Much, much more. There are themes, points and ideas in those games that you can actually sit down and legitimately discuss, they're already there. They don't require subjective bias to over-elaborate.

The things YOU get out of Halo, those are just because you elaborate too much to make the game seem better than it is.

-AC

Nactous
. Much, much more.

-AC
I wouldnt call Half-Life complicated, granted I think its a way better story then Halo, but I wouldnt call it complicated. Well,if you have more name them please...

Besides, I have never said Halo's a great game, or that its one of the best ever made. Its sequel is one of my least favorite games Ive ever played. All I have said was that its story is better then Gears. That hardley makes me a "FanBoy"

Alpha Centauri
Yeah, and you still don't see the problem.

You feeling that Halo's story is subjectively better because you ENJOYED it more, is fine. You're not, though. You're trying to claim that Halo has a complex story, and it doesn't. You're claiming complexity based on something that THEY didn't put there, but something YOU got out of it YOURSELF. That's why your argument is failing.

As for examples, I named three good ones. Why, would four somehow convince you? What's the point? You asked for examples on what makes are some complex games, to me, and I gave you examples.

The point of this is because I am proving Halo isn't complex, when compared with games that are actually complex, and you're cockily asking for examples. Here is what I have on Deus Ex, because it's easier:

"Deus Ex takes place in a dystopian future in a world that draws heavily upon present day conspiracy theories. This dark setting is enhanced by the fact that the entire game takes place at night, a backdrop which adds to the atmosphere of conspiracies and stealth. The game contradicts itself in several instances regarding the exact year in which the events of the story take place, but information in the sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War reconciles this inconsistency via retroactive continuity, placing the events of Deus Ex in the year 2052. Most of the game takes place in fictionalized versions of real-world locations, including New York City, Hong Kong, Paris, Vandenberg Air Force Base, and Area 51.

The plot of Deus Ex depicts a society on a slow spiral into chaos. A lethal pandemic known as the 'Gray Death' ravages the world's population, especially within the United States, and has no cure. A synthetic vaccine, 'Ambrosia', manufactured by the company VersaLife, nullifies the effects of the virus, but is in critically short supply. Because of its scarcity, Ambrosia is available only to those deemed 'vital to the social order', and finds its way primarily to government officials, military personnel, the rich and influential, scientists and the intellectual elite. With no hope for the common people of the world, riots occur worldwide, and a number of terrorist organizations have formed with the professed intent of assisting the downtrodden, among them the National Secessionist Force of the US and a French group known as Silhouette.

In order to combat these threats to the world order, the United Nations has greatly expanded its governmental influence around the globe. The United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) is formed, with the intent of maintaining peace internationally and combating the world's ever-growing number of terrorist groups. It is headquartered near New York City in a bunker beneath Liberty Island, placed there after a terrorist strike on the Statue of Liberty.

The gameplay of Deus Ex offers many subplots which the player may or may not encounter, depending on their actions within the game. This synopsis concentrates on the game's main plot thread.

Conspiracies are one of the main themes of Deus Ex, and the game draws heavily upon popular real world conspiracy theories for many of its plot elements. These include speculations regarding black helicopters, vaccinations, and FEMA, as well as Area 51, the ECHELON network, Men in Black, cow mutilations, chupacabras (in the form of 'greasels'), and Greys. Mysterious groups such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, the Knights Templar, the Bilderberg Group and the Trilateral Commission also either play a central part in the plot, or are alluded to during the course of the game.

During sections of the game where the New York skyline is visible in the background, the two towers of the World Trade Center are noticeably missing; the real towers were destroyed a year after the game was released. Harvey Smith has explained that due to texture memory limitations, the portion of the skyline with the twin towers exists in the game's data files but had to be left out of the final game, with the other half mirrored in place of it. According to Smith, during the game's development, the developers justified the lack of the towers by stating that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Center earlier in the game's storyline.".

Here's a quote from the review of the game:

"The title has a great storyline, full of intrigue, back-stabbing, secret agendas, political struggles, and social commentary that is so powerful that it will surely overpower the free time of its players. It doesn't matter what style of game you prefer -- action, RPG, or tactical combat -- since Deus Ex has enough of each of those to please even the most prejudiced user.".

Deus Ex was praised for its nods to classic literature, powerful and adaptive themes in many areas, as said; politics, society, conspiracy theories, genetic engineering, cloning, technology, betrayal, espionage.

Nothing in Halo comes remotely close to being as intricate as that game, and that is a truly layered, complex game.

That is not all interpretation, that's what's factually there, in the game. It's not some biased kid saying "Well I got this out of the ad campaign.". The makers of the game, the writers of the story made sure that all of those elements were there, whether you get them or not. Bungie did not put in what you are getting out, and that is precisely why it's not a complex game, and wouldn't be even if they did, because what you get out of it is simple anyway.

So there you see, Deus Ex, for example, is a complex game. Halo is not, not just by comparison, but in general. I await you replying with, "But I think it is.", totally missing all the factual points and proving yourself to be quite ridiculous.

-AC

Nactous
How does any of the setting or plot make it more complex?

Alpha Centauri
Precisely my point.

You don't actually understand anything truly complex or layered, hence why you have to like Halo's "pretend" complex plot, that isn't actually complex. Deus Ex is honestly so far beyond you that all you can do is ask how it's complex, or more complex than Halo (Which isn't hard).

Everything I just posted will probably be flying back over your head in about a day, try to catch it then. All of this is because you lack the ability to see that outside of what you subjectively take out, Halo's story is simple.

Fanboyism at its best, but let me ask you this:

Why, in almost every single review that I've read personally, is Halo's story the thing that is criticised the most about the game?

-AC

Nactous
No, don't be a coward, go ahead and explain it in your own words.

Alpha Centauri
No, don't be a coward, go ahead and explain it in your own words.

That's what's funny, I actually laid it out in words that were not my own, and then in my own words, simplified for you (How ironic), and you still managed to not get it.

Here it is again:

Deus Ex was praised for its nods to classic literature, powerful and adaptive themes in many areas, as said; politics, society, conspiracy theories, genetic engineering, cloning, technology, betrayal, espionage.

Nothing in Halo comes remotely close to being as intricate as that game, and that is a truly layered, complex game.

That is not all interpretation, that's what's factually there, in the game. It's not some biased kid saying "Well I got this out of the ad campaign.". The makers of the game, the writers of the story made sure that all of those elements were there, whether you get them or not. Bungie did not put in what you are getting out.

Cowardice is you ignoring the fact that Halo's story isn't complex, and when compared with a game that is actually complex, looks worse.

To simplify it FURTHER; Deus Ex has themes, motifs, ideas and philosophies that were placed into its story by the people WRITING it. They are there regardless of whether anybody likes it or sees it, that's the purpose of the game, to portray and present all those different aspects. It's a very multi-layered game and a very complex, intelligent story.

Halo is not, it's a generic hero story with the odd additional, simple theme. The reasons YOU are claiming that it's a complex story are nothing to do with what the story is, and EVERYTHING to do with how YOU see it.

Regardless of what you get out of Deus Ex, those parts were already there. Halo does not contain what you are personally extracting, as proven with your ability to somehow make a really, really simple ad-campaign line seem like it was a story. That's not THEM, that's not the quote being smart, it's you making it seem better than it is, because you can't admit that it's just very simple.

How much more blunt do you want it? By forcing me to continually dumb shit down, you're proving my point.

-AC

Nactous
Quick question, was there betrayel in Deus Ex?

Alpha Centauri
Yes, as I've said about five times.

No, betrayal happening in Halo doesn't then make Halo equal to Deus Ex. I could see that trick coming from about a mile away. Betrayal happened in Halo, it wasn't a theme. It just...happened.

Besides, if that's all you can process in your mind, out of everything that has been proven to you to show Halo isn't actually complex, then I give up.

Honestly, Nac.

*Hands you a red ball*

Just go and bounce that in the corner. If you're not going to make the effort to read what I'm saying, or if you can't, then I'm honestly not going to bother with you.

-AC

Nactous
The Prophets betraying the Elite's was a MASSIVE theme. I promise, for every example your present I can find one from Halo that counters yours.

Nactous
Double post.

Alpha Centauri
1) You aren't.

2) Exactly. YOU can probably find a reference to Santa Claus being the son of Jesus and cousin of Optimus Prime, somehow, in the Halo games, if I gave you a day to do it.

Point being, YOU can find whatever you want in Halo because you, as a fanboy, are determined to. Fact is, it's not about what YOU can get out, it's about what the MAKERS put IN. They didn't put anything IN that makes the game complex.

I mean, my god, are you genuinely this thick? Time and time and time again, you continue to disagree with what I'm saying, only to prove that...you don't understand what I'm saying, what the difference is, what the point is.

-AC

Nactous
1) You aren't.

2) Exactly. YOU can probably find a reference to Santa Claus being the son of Jesus and cousin of Optimus Prime, somehow, in the Halo games, if I gave you a day to do it.

Point being, YOU can find whatever you want in Halo because you, as a fanboy, are determined to. Fact is, it's not about what YOU can get out, it's about what the MAKERS put IN. They didn't put anything IN that makes the game complex.

I mean, my god, are you genuinely this thick? Time and time and time again, you continue to disagree with what I'm saying, only to prove that...you don't understand what I'm saying, what the difference is, what the point is.

-AC laughing laughing

Cant find whats not there(and technically the makers put EVERYTHING in it), face it AC, your currently your own worst enemy.

Alpha Centauri
Dear Christ...it's like...talking to a loaf of bread.

-AC

Nactous
I guess we can agree to perceive differently?

Granted, its not the deepest game in the world, but it has some depth.

Man of Violence
I have never played any of the Gears of War games, I'm like an odd ball. I will play it soon, and if it's anything like Halo then I'm gonna love it.

Zack Fair
Gears is sweet

Man of Violence
I seen some guy get knocked to the ground and chain sawed. I was like, "Is that a chain saw gun"?! .

Zack Fair
http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/935/935985p1.html

Spartan005
AC,

You keep saying that Halo's story is shit... so what do you think about Gears then? If your answer is anything other than "It's shit also" or "It sucks too" then I think you may just be a Gears fanboy....

By the way while we're talking about story and everything... how exactly did the locust find out how to make guns? Or are all of the guns in the game human ones? Because I'm pretty sure in the first game either in a trailer or in the first cinematic it showed the locust on E-day emerging from the ground with lancers.

Spartan005
mad mad Originally posted by Nemesis X
People give a **** about Johnson because he's been through 3 Halo games. Big ******* whoop. The stupid bird appears through all three Banjo games but I do give a crap about him? No!

First of all her name's Kazooie you inconsiderate prick. Secondly, if you really, REALLY want to start this now then go ahead and say one more bad thing about Banjo Kazooie. I dare you. You sir have just fvcked with the wrong fan boy. I WILL BRING YOUR ASS DOWN! mad mad

Alpha Centauri
AC,

You keep saying that Halo's story is shit... so what do you think about Gears then? If your answer is anything other than "It's shit also" or "It sucks too" then I think you may just be a Gears fanboy....

For the love...of anything.

How many more times must I genuinely break it down, and the differences, for you lot? ONCE more:

I think Halo's story is shit overall...my opinion. Ok? Following? Now separate that opinion from what else I'm about to say, because it is entirely different.

Halo AND Gears both have SIMPLE stories, this is NOT opinion, this is fact, as I have proven countless times. I will not act like Gears is anything more intricate or less intricate than Halo in terms of plot. Unless the Sera thing is true, then yes, it's generic and dull. Nothing new, nothing special.

I personally prefer Gears' SETTING because as I've said, I can take it more seriously than I can Halo's, that's personal. I find it to be a way more believable war tale than Halo for reasons I've already stated, that's me.

What has been discussed here is not quality of story from a subjective stance, but the OBJECTIVE complexity of Halo's story and Gears' story. Both of which are NOT complex AT ALL.

Now, if anybody here genuinely has trouble with understanding what my points are, needs any further clarification or honestly just wants to repeat what Spartan or Nac have, then I recommend a healthy dose of Desert Eagle .50 to the temple.

mad mad

First of all her name's Kazooie you inconsiderate prick. Secondly, if you really, REALLY want to start this now then go ahead and say one more bad thing about Banjo Kazooie. I dare you. You sir have just fvcked with the wrong fan boy. I WILL BRING YOUR ASS DOWN! mad mad

Is this a joke, or is fanboyism something you're legitimately proud of?

-AC

Zack Fair
wtf...

Alpha Centauri
I wonder if there are any threads where Zack Fair will contibute more than three letter words and acronyms.

Oh wait, you don't care, but you care enough to post that.

Contribute or don't, but don't "Wtf", because that serves no purpose.

-AC

Spartan005

For the love...of anything.

How many more times must I genuinely break it down, and the differences, for you lot? ONCE more:

I think Halo's story is shit overall...my opinion. Ok? Following? Now separate that opinion from what else I'm about to say, because it is entirely different.

Halo AND Gears both have SIMPLE stories, this is NOT opinion, this is fact, as I have proven countless times. I will not act like Gears is anything more intricate or less intricate than Halo in terms of plot. Unless the Sera thing is true, then yes, it's generic and dull. Nothing new, nothing special.

I personally prefer Gears' SETTING because as I've said, I can take it more seriously than I can Halo's, that's personal. I find it to be a way more believable war tale than Halo for reasons I've already stated, that's me.

What has been discussed here is not quality of story from a subjective stance, but the OBJECTIVE complexity of Halo's story and Gears' story. Both of which are NOT complex AT ALL.

Now, if anybody here genuinely has trouble with understanding what my points are, needs any further clarification or honestly just wants to repeat what Spartan or Nac have, then I recommend a healthy dose of Desert Eagle .50 to the temple.

Is this a joke, or is fanboyism something you're legitimately proud of?

-AC

I hope you know that that was a yes or no question which you completely failed to answer. You already said that they're both simple stories (which by the way is not a fact but whatever) but do you think Gears 2 has a shitty story or not? Yes or No.

And that was a joke but I do love banjo kazooie. It was the shit back in the day.

Spartan005
that actually wasn't a yes or no question at all. my bad

ragesRemorse
Its not possible to tell Gear's story without sidetracking is it not?

Of course it's possible, but thats not the direction the writers chose. The developers obviously anticipated a sequel and a sequel from the sequel. It's all about marketing and profit and cliffhangers and series are the most profitable directions these days. Whats wrong with your standard, We're the good guys, They're the bad guys and we have to blow them the fvck up, gameplay? I for one love that. Add a few witty one liners and a couple inside jokes and analogies and some badass equipment for making shit dead and i'm a happy camper. Why can't you be happy to? If you want story and depth dude, you're playing the wrong games when you choose to play either, halo or Gears of War. And if you're finding depth in either one's story arc, then you are using your imagination, so kudos to you because you win either way as long as you have some fun while playing the game.

Alpha Centauri
I hope you know that that was a yes or no question which you completely failed to answer. You already said that they're both simple stories (which by the way is not a fact but whatever) but do you think Gears 2 has a shitty story or not? Yes or No.

And that was a joke but I do love banjo kazooie. It was the shit back in the day.

I answered it.

"Unless the Sera thing is true, then yes, it's generic and dull. Nothing new, nothing special.".

To add to that: I think Halo's story is shit, but that's nothing to do with the fact that it's simple. I dislike Halo's characters, setting and storytelling a lot more than I dislike that of Gears'. However, if you compare the complexity of the two premises, then neither are special.

I had to elaborate because you asked be if I thought Gears was shitty storywise, and if I disagreed, I was a Gears fanboy. This isn't about which story I find shitty, so you're asking an irrelevant question, it's about complexity.

-AC

SaTsuJiN
I own both.. and I feel that , in the most important category (Gameplay) , gears has halo beat by a landslide...

I just seriously dont find it all that great to have to beat down a recoverable shield, or use weapons that dont really controll all that differently from one another

cover, blind fire, the new grenade system of wall tagging, chainsaw clashes (because apparently its not possible to do this with the gravity hammer for whatever reason), variable accuracy of each weapon..

I mean halo 3 has its fun... but gears 2 is just far more visceral with its gameplay, for me

Zack Fair
Like I said before it depends on the mood I am in.

NENF3P
Halo 3 for me.

Zack Fair
I only wish Epic releases a patch to fix the god damned matchmaking. Their matchmaking = FAIL

THE JLRTENJAC
"Deus Ex takes place in a dystopian future in a world that draws heavily upon present day conspiracy theories. This dark setting is enhanced by the fact that the entire game takes place at night, a backdrop which adds to the atmosphere of conspiracies and stealth. The game contradicts itself in several instances regarding the exact year in which the events of the story take place, but information in the sequel Deus Ex: Invisible War reconciles this inconsistency via retroactive continuity, placing the events of Deus Ex in the year 2052. Most of the game takes place in fictionalized versions of real-world locations, including New York City, Hong Kong, Paris, Vandenberg Air Force Base, and Area 51.

The plot of Deus Ex depicts a society on a slow spiral into chaos. A lethal pandemic known as the 'Gray Death' ravages the world's population, especially within the United States, and has no cure. A synthetic vaccine, 'Ambrosia', manufactured by the company VersaLife, nullifies the effects of the virus, but is in critically short supply. Because of its scarcity, Ambrosia is available only to those deemed 'vital to the social order', and finds its way primarily to government officials, military personnel, the rich and influential, scientists and the intellectual elite. With no hope for the common people of the world, riots occur worldwide, and a number of terrorist organizations have formed with the professed intent of assisting the downtrodden, among them the National Secessionist Force of the US and a French group known as Silhouette.

In order to combat these threats to the world order, the United Nations has greatly expanded its governmental influence around the globe. The United Nations Anti-Terrorist Coalition (UNATCO) is formed, with the intent of maintaining peace internationally and combating the world's ever-growing number of terrorist groups. It is headquartered near New York City in a bunker beneath Liberty Island, placed there after a terrorist strike on the Statue of Liberty.

The gameplay of Deus Ex offers many subplots which the player may or may not encounter, depending on their actions within the game. This synopsis concentrates on the game's main plot thread.

Conspiracies are one of the main themes of Deus Ex, and the game draws heavily upon popular real world conspiracy theories for many of its plot elements. These include speculations regarding black helicopters, vaccinations, and FEMA, as well as Area 51, the ECHELON network, Men in Black, cow mutilations, chupacabras (in the form of 'greasels'), and Greys. Mysterious groups such as Majestic 12, the Illuminati, the Knights Templar, the Bilderberg Group and the Trilateral Commission also either play a central part in the plot, or are alluded to during the course of the game.

During sections of the game where the New York skyline is visible in the background, the two towers of the World Trade Center are noticeably missing; the real towers were destroyed a year after the game was released. Harvey Smith has explained that due to texture memory limitations, the portion of the skyline with the twin towers exists in the game's data files but had to be left out of the final game, with the other half mirrored in place of it. According to Smith, during the game's development, the developers justified the lack of the towers by stating that terrorists had destroyed the World Trade Center earlier in the game's storyline.".

All that you have shown is that Deus Ex has a more intricate complex story than Halo. You did not show that Halo doesn't have a complex story.

Halo isn't the most complex story in the world, but it does have complexity. You just refuse to see it.

Raijin
I only wish Epic releases a patch to fix the god damned matchmaking. Their matchmaking = FAIL Amen, I like the system in the first a whole lot more, even if it doesn't have matchmaking.

Alpha Centauri
Originally posted by THE JLRTENJAC
All that you have shown is that Deus Ex has a more intricate complex story than Halo. You did not show that Halo doesn't have a complex story.

Halo isn't the most complex story in the world, but it does have complexity. You just refuse to see it.

No, that's a complex story, Halo's isn't.

I'm not REFUSING to see anything, it's people INSISTING on seeing things in the game's story that are the problem here.

I've asked multiple people here to give me examples as to why it's "complex", and all of the examples are personal interpretation. Not themes, not ideas, not intricate details, not philosophy or any kind of devices, because none of those are inherent to Halo's story. It's all a very generic story. It's all what THEY got out of it.

So no, wrong. Try again.

-AC

Wil7
How many people have watched the GOW2 vs H3 video that I posted in the beginning?

Nemesis X
Halo 3 sucks on its campaign. Honestly, I don't see what's the point with this thread if people keep going on and on about how great Halo 3 is even though it's not.

Gears 2 has a great campaign that would hype up most gamers and if you dare say that Gears 2's story line blows then you're just a complete idiot who shouldn't be playing games at all. Epic didn't come all this way just to hear your guys' negativity on what can possibly be game of the year.

Wil7
Halo 3 sucks on its campaign. Honestly, I don't see what's the point with this thread if people keep going on and on about how great Halo 3 is even though it's not.

Gears 2 has a great campaign that would hype up most gamers and if you dare say that Gears 2's story line blows then you're just a complete idiot who shouldn't be playing games at all. Epic didn't come all this way just to hear your guys' negativity on what can possibly be game of the year.

That is the point of the thread, to argue which game is better GOW2 vs H3, don't get all butt-hurt about, no offence smile . Let me ask you this though, why does the Halo 3's campaign suck, but Gears of War 2's rock then.

General G

Halo 3 to me did not suck on its campaign, I very much enjoyed it, but thanks for trying to force your opinion on me. What the point of this thread is? To debate which game they feel is better...Halo 3 or Gears of War 2. That is the point and that is what has been being discussed. People saying that Halo 3 is great is how they feel, therefore in this discussion they are taking the Halo 3 side of it, and not the Gears 2 side. You are on the Gears 2 side obviously, as am I. But in a debate such as this, you can't just tell the opposing side to leave when they say things you don't like. That is counter productive in a debate.

I love(d) the Halo 3 campaign, same with Halo 1 and 2. I love(d) the Gears of War 2 campaign, as well as Gears 1.

And your logic can be used against you...Bungie did not come all this way just to hear your guys' negativity on what was actually the game of the year, as named by TIME magazine (http://www.joystiq.com/2007/12/11/time-magazine-names-halo-3-game-of-the-year/).

I love both games, but my personal preference is Gears of War 2. I enjoyed both story lines also.

Dr. Leg Kick
I've played Halo 1 and 2. Probably one of the most boring FPS games ever. Just didn't enjoy any aspects of the game. Campaign was boring, nothing spectacular. The game is simply a game, has no life to it.

Played Gears of War 1, and that was fun for a third person shooter, but again, I just couldn't get too involved in it.

Since i haven't played the latest installments, my opinion shouldn't hold much water to the rest, but from what i've played thus far of the two games, I'd take Gears of War over Halo...EASILY.

Dr. Leg Kick
sorry for double post, but i just skimed through previous posts.

Halo doesn't hold a candle next to Deus Ex.

Nemesis X
Halo 1 and 2 are better than 3. Until I know further things about Halo 3 Recon, then I might have second thoughts about which game is better.

Halo 3's campaign felt dull to me for some reason. The only level that made me feel all hyped was the last level where you drive around to reach a ship before the halo ring blew up.

Nactous
No, that's a complex story, Halo's isn't.

I'm not REFUSING to see anything, it's people INSISTING on seeing things in the game's story that are the problem here.

I've asked multiple people here to give me examples as to why it's "complex", and all of the examples are personal interpretation. Not themes, not ideas, not intricate details, not philosophy or any kind of devices, because none of those are inherent to Halo's story. It's all a very generic story. It's all what THEY got out of it.

So no, wrong. Try again.

-AC

You dismiss them as "interpretation" anyway so why bother, your just about as biased as anyone of us...

Alpha Centauri
You dismiss them as "interpretation" anyway so why bother, your just about as biased as anyone of us...

Because that's what they are, fact.

Got an argument? Present it, and like your others, I'll factually dismantle it until all you are left with is ignorance and persistent fanboyism.

If you don't have anything to say, bail and let him answer my post.

-AC

Nactous
Because that's what they are, fact.

Got an argument? Present it, and like your others, I'll factually dismantle it until all you are left with is ignorance and persistent fanboyism.

If you don't have anything to say, bail and let him answer my post.

-AC

How the hell can you have "fact" when your talking about "complexity"?

Alpha Centauri
I've explained this, you can't grasp it because you're just not astute enough, despite the premise being quite simple.

Go play Halo, look at the pretty colours, leave people to discuss who are able.

-AC

Nactous
I've explained this, you can't grasp it because you're just not astute enough, despite the premise being quite simple.

Go play Halo, look at the pretty colours, leave people to discuss who are able.

-AC

So, if someone doesn't agree with you, you belittle them and insult them by implying that they're stupid and in the end make them feel like their opinions don't matter at all and shouldn't even be read if its not word for word like yours? Wow, just wow......

Alpha Centauri
So, if someone doesn't agree with you, you belittle them and insult them by implying that they're stupid and in the end make them feel like their opinions don't matter at all and shouldn't even be read if its not word for word like yours? Wow, just wow......

Considering I just gave you the credit to go pages debating with you, that's a stupid thing to say, isn't it? Yet, you wonder why you feel belittled.

The reason I'm treating you like you deserve to be ignored and shouldn't be listened to, well, it's because after all those pages of debating, you refuse to differentiate between fact and opinion, as well as refusing to/being incapable of actually grasping my point, despite me explaining it and repeating it and giving you evidence and facts. That's why I am implying that you're stupid. It's nothing personal. If you wanna ignore fact, I'll ignore you.

You're simply not worth the time here anymore, I've won my debate, and now the other guy can step up.

-AC

Dr. Leg Kick
AC via Brutal KO

Nactous
Considering I just gave you the credit to go pages debating with you, that's a stupid thing to say, isn't it? Yet, you wonder why you feel belittled.

The reason I'm treating you like you deserve to be ignored and shouldn't be listened to, well, it's because after all those pages of debating, you refuse to differentiate between fact and opinion, as well as refusing to/being incapable of actually grasping my point, despite me explaining it and repeating it and giving you evidence and facts. That's why I am implying that you're stupid. It's nothing personal. If you wanna ignore fact, I'll ignore you.

You're simply not worth the time here anymore, I've won my debate, and now the other guy can step up.

-AC

I guess your not as deep as I thought then, since perception can always be debated. But if you want to base everything on what 'you' see and what 'you' think than by all means please do, I just wish you had a little more substance. But if you want to rape everyone with your opinion than by all means do. The facts that remain are that, Halo 3 is a game for the XBOX360, it is the third in the trilogy, person x is named whatever while person y is named....... I cannot argue the script because the words are there and what is there is fact, as generic as they are. However, your trying to argue complexity which is, at its core based on opinion. What next, are we going to argue that the night's sky is more "complex" than that of the days? Oh wow, I cant wait.....

Dr. Leg Kick
AC is a douchebag, but so am I.

Anway, when he's right he's right.

Nactous
Originally posted by Dr. Leg Kick
\Anway, when he's right he's right.

About being a douche-bag?

Peach
This thread has, not surprisingly, devolved into arguing. I decided to keep it open a while to see if this sort of thread can work out, but not surprisingly, it didn't. My disallowing them in the past has been justified and is going to be held up as an official rule here.

Closed.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.