Which game from Capcom will the BIGGEST HIT in 09?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

WrathfulDwarf
Looking ahead to 09'

Which game from Capcom do you think is going to be most successful or biggest hit?

Whether is on sales, most played, more popular, etc...call it now!

Zack Fair
Resident Evil 5 by FAR.

Alpha Centauri
Street Fighter 4.

Resident Evil 5 will probably garner its fair share of acclaim, but in terms of sales, people playing, and longevity, it will obviously be Street Fighter.

Resident Evil is more or less a series for the fans now. If you've not been into it from the start, you probably won't dive in.

Hearing that there's a new Street Fighter is like hearing that Chinese Democracy finally came out.

-AC

Smasandian
I would say RE5 has more mass appeal than SF4 and will be the bigger hit.

The only people that are excited about SF4 are hardcore fighters. The people excited about RE5 is pretty much any action fan.

I do admit that Street Fighter is a older, more hardcore base of devotee's but in terms of people buying it, its always going to be the action game with its own fan base, especially considering the last RE game sold like crazy.

jaden101
i voted RE5...i think some of the mediocre SF games since 2...and all the extra versions like turbo and champion fighting and super SF and then the alpha series...it's just killed the interest for all but the hardcore SF fan.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Smasandian
I would say RE5 has more mass appeal than SF4 and will be the bigger hit.

The only people that are excited about SF4 are hardcore fighters. The people excited about RE5 is pretty much any action fan.

I do admit that Street Fighter is a older, more hardcore base of devotee's but in terms of people buying it, its always going to be the action game with its own fan base, especially considering the last RE game sold like crazy.

That is exactly what I was thinking.

Kennedyward
Resident Evil 5. Hands down.

Neo Darkhalen
I can't decide between Street fighter IV or RES 5, but they already released Megaman 9 this year, which beats everything else hands down for me.

However from the two I just spoke about...I think I'm inclined to lean more towards RES 5.

Man of Violence
RE5, hands down. That game just looks.....WOW.....

Smasandian
Originally posted by jaden101
i voted RE5...i think some of the mediocre SF games since 2...and all the extra versions like turbo and champion fighting and super SF and then the alpha series...it's just killed the interest for all but the hardcore SF fan.

That's actually what I was thinking of.

I just remember playing SFII with my friends on the SNES. It was fun, but I never played it since, when the 3D, people started to play alot more shooters, action games and RPG's.

I dont know a single friend who plays Street Fighter anymore, but I know a ton that plays Resident Evil.

I would actually think that RE is a bigger franchise now than Street Fighter, especially going towards the more casual market, especially if you put the movies in with it too.

NonSensi-Klown
SF4 will be played in major tournaments across the world for the next decade, just like SF:II.

RE:5 will end up in the $10 bargain bin three years from now...

@stroFan
Tournament fighters represent such a tiny portion of the gaming community that I dont think that argument holds much weight. RE4 sold very well despite its original and most important launch was on the weakest console of this decade. RE5 has hype built up from the previous game, its launching on the 2 biggest true gaming consoles, and has the current "it" feature with full co-op play.

I think SF4 will be a nice hit, but RE5 will launch huge and be a story again around GOTY time.

Raoul
Originally posted by WrathfulDwarf
Looking ahead to 09'

Which game from Capcom do you think is going to be most successful or biggest hit?

Whether is on sales, most played, more popular, etc...call it now!

i don't care, as long as both are as good as they look...

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by @stroFan
Tournament fighters represent such a tiny portion of the gaming community that I dont think that argument holds much weight.

That wasn't my point.

My point was more that SF4 will be remembered and played long after Resident Evil 5 is forgotten.

That is, if the hype I've seen about SF4 ("Possibly better than SFII!"wink is true.

Bardock42
Originally posted by NonSensi-Klown
SF4 will be played in major tournaments across the world for the next decade, just like SF:II.

Maybe.

RE:5 will end up in the $10 bargain bin three years from now...

So will SF4, though.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by Bardock42
Maybe.

No maybe about it, honestly.

Perhaps.

Bardock42
No maybe about it, honestly.

Perhaps.

Dude, you yourself just introduced a "maybe".

NonSensi-Klown
I hadn't thought about it, hence the "honestly". I was trying to be humble...

ragesRemorse
Resident Evil 5, easily. Just look at the drawl that Resident Evil 4 had. As long as Resident Evil 5 satisfies expectations the game will have a very long life and achieve many frivolous awards that no one really cares about.

Fighting games have become the black sheep as of late. We've all been there and done that. Soul Caliber and Mortal Kombat offers some nostalgic and fantastical gameplay but gets old quickly and is only saved by it's customization and or gimmick of being a cheap crossover. For a fighting game to truly stand out and get everyones attention today, there would have to be some revolutionary changes in gameplay because fighting games have, frankly, become redundant and stupid. I think people have finally learned that there is no real skill involved in fighting games, just a lot of trial and error and luck. Maybe Street fighter 4 will do something amazing, but it will most likely be a 3-d version of street fighter and that is just stupid because playing street fighter today is like throwing cards in a hat...,boring. I'm sure it will have it's moment in the sun because it's street fighter and the graphics do look sharp but after a couple of months, im guessing it will become just another fighting game that happens to look better than the others because it's newer.

NonSensi-Klown
No real skill...? What?

How many pro-tournaments have you actually played in to make such a statement?

ragesRemorse
oie, pro tournaments...,really? dude, if you're making a living out of hustling people in tournaments, then you the man. I'm not even going there. I'm talking about playing games with a few friends when you have some free time. wink

NonSensi-Klown
Considering that what I've been talking about this whole time is in regard to tournaments, not "playing with your dudes"... I don't understand.

And of course playing with people who are just as completely unskilled as you are doesn't involve any real skill... because you both suck. Ass.

But that can be said for any multiplayer in a game.

Smasandian
When I see biggest hit, I think the amount of money. A game like SF4 might be played in tournaments for the next ten years doesnt mean that it will outsell RE5.

SF4 will probably have a huge opening because of all the hardcore fighter fans, but would casual gamers pick it up? Probably not and I can also see SF4 sales nosedive once all the fans pick it up. I cant see it having mass appeal like the SF2 did.

NonSensi-Klown
Oh, I agree. I don't think SF4 has a chance in hell of beating out RE5 in sales.

ragesRemorse
Considering that what I've been talking about this whole time is in regard to tournaments, not "playing with your dudes"... I don't understand.

And of course playing with people who are just as completely unskilled as you are doesn't involve any real skill... because you both suck. Ass.

But that can be said for any multiplayer in a game.

laughing out loud dude, i was just taking a piss. who the hell plays in tournaments? I mean really. Of course i dont mean just playin with a few of your homies. If you're a gamer you buy a game, master it and then move on. Yeah, i will stick with a good fighting game that appeals to me for as long as it takes for me to master it but that doesn't very long and i'm not talking about tournament level but rather, winning 10-15 straight rounds on the hardest difficulty set in online multiplayer. Thats all i have time for...,unless of course the game wows me and does something new other than the same god damn stupid button combo's that do not feel at all fluid but rather, clunky.

I like to play more than one game while keeping my job, so i don't play in tournaments dude but yeah, they aren't hard to find. you go to any arcade, if you have one. If not you go to a fave and busters or another arcade emporium and look for a tournament date and sign up. I've played in a few for tekken 4, it's bullshit dude, Cheap, utter luck. I made it to second place. I beat 23 other opponents over two days doing the same goddamn cheap exploit combo. Steve fox had a combo that was rather unblockable if performed correctly, the only reason i lost was because i muffed up in the last match. But, yeah, i know how tourny players work, they spend hours on end playing the game every day all day and they travel around the country competing in these things. Dude, those are hardcore gamers. and if you are one of them, i truly mean it when i say...,you the man. because that is some ****ed up focus to learn the exploits for every single player and how each player matches against which.

I played in one stupid tournament against a bunch of other stupid people who thought they were tekken kings, so yeah, i know what i'm talking about when i say it's really all just timing and along with trial and error. These hardcore gamers, though, they will always be there. The casual gamer which makes up most of the demographic in video game sales, they wont be on Street fighter 4 or tekken 4, five months after it's release. They will only go back to is for casual play when they have nothing else to play or if there are some buddies over. Resident Evil 5 though, well that game is going to draw people from all demographics and if it delivers, it will ensnare and intrigue people for months and it will thrive through out the entire year and probably even on into the following year. You know how i know this...,because REsident evil 4 did it along with several other Resident Evil games.

S_D_J
RE 5 by a long mile...

SnakeEyes
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Resident Evil 5 by FAR.

ragesRemorse
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
laughing out loud dude, i was just taking a piss. who the hell plays in tournaments? I mean really. Of course i dont mean just playin with a few of your homies. If you're a gamer you buy a game, master it and then move on. Yeah, i will stick with a good fighting game that appeals to me for as long as it takes for me to master it but that doesn't very long and i'm not talking about tournament level but rather, winning 10-15 straight rounds on the hardest difficulty set in online multiplayer. Thats all i have time for...,unless of course the game wows me and does something new other than the same god damn stupid button combo's that do not feel at all fluid but rather, clunky.

I like to play more than one game while keeping my job, so i don't play in tournaments dude but yeah, they aren't hard to find. you go to any arcade, if you have one. If not you go to a fave and busters or another arcade emporium and look for a tournament date and sign up. I've played in a few for tekken 4, it's bullshit dude, Cheap, utter luck. I made it to second place. I beat 23 other opponents over two days doing the same goddamn cheap exploit combo. Steve fox had a combo that was rather unblockable if performed correctly, the only reason i lost was because i muffed up in the last match. But, yeah, i know how tourny players work, they spend hours on end playing the game every day all day and they travel around the country competing in these things. Dude, those are hardcore gamers. and if you are one of them, i truly mean it when i say...,you the man. because that is some ****ed up focus to learn the exploits for every single player and how each player matches against which.

I played in one stupid tournament against a bunch of other stupid people who thought they were tekken kings, so yeah, i know what i'm talking about when i say it's really all just timing and along with trial and error. These hardcore gamers, though, they will always be there. The casual gamer which makes up most of the demographic in video game sales, they wont be on Street fighter 4 or tekken 4, five months after it's release. They will only go back to is for casual play when they have nothing else to play or if there are some buddies over. Resident Evil 5 though, well that game is going to draw people from all demographics and if it delivers, it will ensnare and intrigue people for months and it will thrive through out the entire year and probably even on into the following year. You know how i know this...,because REsident evil 4 did it along with several other Resident Evil games.

wow, disregard that...,i was drunk.

NonSensi-Klown
I was gonna say...

Alpha Centauri
That is, if the hype I've seen about SF4 ("Possibly better than SFII!"wink is true.

If, in 2008, Street Fighter 4 (Although it's more like 4,000,000) is only POSSIBLY better than the Super Nintendo's Street Fighter 2, then it shows you how shit that series is.

-AC

NonSensi-Klown
I'm only referring to it as it was considered in it's time. SFII was largely considered the greatest fighting game of all time when it came out...

Alpha Centauri
To be fair, what else was there?

It was revolutionary at the time, but it also had the benefit of being one of the first. Mortal Kombat was revolutionary, despite the existence of Street Fighter.

This was at the dawn of the '90s, though. It has been milked to the point that it's not funny, and the fact that Street Fighter 4 isn't really as far ahead of them as it should be, is even worse.

-AC

Bardock42
I'm only referring to it as it was considered in it's time. SFII was largely considered the greatest fighting game of all time when it came out... Well, since at the time SF2 came out there were about 5 fighting games...you know.

NonSensi-Klown
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
To be fair, what else was there?

It was revolutionary at the time, but it also had the benefit of being one of the first. Mortal Kombat was revolutionary, despite the existence of Street Fighter.

This was at the dawn of the '90s, though. It has been milked to the point that it's not funny, and the fact that Street Fighter 4 isn't really as far ahead of them as it should be, is even worse.

-AC

Meh, don't look at me. The fighting game community is jizzing in there jeans about it. *shrug*

WrathfulDwarf
Well, truth be told...I really want to play SFIV on XBL. Which is going to be the main reason why people like figthing games. To take on others and tournaments and stuff...

occultdestroyer
Originally posted by Neo Darkhalen
Megaman 9... which beats everything else hands down for me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cm2z4k3Xe-Q

Truth be told

Nemesis X
Is this thread a joke? I may like Street Fighter as much as the next guy, but RE5 wins this.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.