Mechanics of Force Attacks

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Red Nemesis
Pretty straightforward:

How do attacks directed through the Force manifest themselves?

Is a Force Push direct force applied to the object or does it push air (compressed or otherwise) at the target?

Is Force Lightning made up of electricity or some sort of physical manifestation of the Force?

These are the only two that come to mind, and I'm mostly interested in Force Lightning.

Discuss.

Autokrat
I would imagine that Force Lightning is the user drawing energy from the Force to generate a shitton of electrons and somehow get them to arc towards the target.

Fan Skywalker
1.Force Push is likely direct force, otherwise the lack of air in space would make tk impossible up there.

2."Palpatine raised his spidery arms toward Luke: blinding white bolts of energy coruscated from his fingers, shot across the room like sorcerous lightning, and tore through the boy's insides, looking for ground." Based on that qoute from ROTJ i assume FL is energy and not electricity.

Vengeful Koala
Originally posted by Red Nemesis
Pretty straightforward:

How do attacks directed through the Force manifest themselves?

Is a Force Push direct force applied to the object or does it push air (compressed or otherwise) at the target?Both. There are at least a dozen examples of someone being described as hurling out or stockpiling and then unleashing "energy" of some sort; Dooku in AotC and Bane in PoD come to mind. Quinlan Vos once hit Rex with a "fist" of compressed air that picked him off of the ground and knocked him out cold in Republic.

So both apply.

Dooku describes it as "manifested hatred" in LoE, and I don't think I've ever heard a SW pseudoscientific explanation for it. I guess I would go with a physical manifestation of the Force.

Lord Lucien
I've always wondered just what FL was.

KingD19
Force lightning was a purely energy-based attack used by practitioners of the dark side, especially the Sith. Because of this association, the ability was commonly referred to as Sith lightning. The attack channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms; Force lightning could be executed with either one or two hands. Powerful discharges would branch out into dozens of smaller forks; thus, skilled practitioners could target several foes at once.

Autokrat
Originally posted by KingD19
Force lightning was a purely energy-based attack used by practitioners of the dark side, especially the Sith. Because of this association, the ability was commonly referred to as Sith lightning. The attack channeled Force energy down the user's limbs, hurling arcing bolts of electricity from the wielder's fingertips or palms; Force lightning could be executed with either one or two hands. Powerful discharges would branch out into dozens of smaller forks; thus, skilled practitioners could target several foes at once.

Quoted word for word from wookipedia.

KingD19
Yep, I've read enough books not to argue with this thing. I have my own opinion, I'm just lazy right now.

Vengeful Koala
They know what Force lightning is; TG's been here for three and a half years. The question was about the mechanics of the attacks, the "scientific" explanation.

KingD19
Ahhhh, hmmmm, my personal say would be that the practitioner focuses their own Force energy into their arms, and they project it outward with killing intent, or the will to cause their opponent harm. Their connection with the Force senses that they want to harm or kill their target and it does so. Although it's energy, it's effects are similar to lightning. But I know that's not the only way to channel the Force into pure energy.

Lord Lucien
My interpretation is that the practitioner uses the Dark Side to "collect" energy from the surrounding environment, heat, light, UV etc. all converted in to electricity and projected through the appendages. The specific nature of the "collection" left unknown to maintain the nostalgic image of the Force being a mysterious entity.

Autokrat
Hmm I wonder if a Force user could create fire by telekineticly accelerating the molecules in the air to the point where a enough friction was created to spark a flame.

Lord Lucien
I like the idea of that. But I'm also in favour of the idea that to perform such actions at the molecular level, you have to be immensely powerful--corresponding with my personal opinion I talked about in Gideon's EU thread, about Force-user decreasing in ability.

Vengeful Koala
Originally posted by Autokrat
Hmm I wonder if a Force user could create fire by telekineticly accelerating the molecules in the air to the point where a enough friction was created to spark a flame. A toddler Jaina Solo did that.

KingD19
Well, it's possible, because in the new Coruscant Nights series, a 14-16 year old Force Sensitve named Kaijin Savaros, was strong enough in the Force to reach his hand inside a repulsor shield that was malfunctioning so much that it distorted the air, and grab the energy as if it were a solid object, then he threw it at an inquisitor. He also reduced another inquisitor to ash with a Force Repulse of unbelievable power.

Final Blaxican
Originally posted by Red Nemesis

Is a Force Push direct force applied to the object or does it push air (compressed or otherwise) at the target?

Direct force applied to the target only.

Vengeful Koala
Both have happened, toolbag.

Final Blaxican
Koala's are gay.

KingD19
Blaxican, did the Koala insult me?

Vengeful Koala
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Koala's are gay. Nuh uh.

Vengeful Koala
Originally posted by KingD19
Blaxican, did the Koala insult me? You will address me as "Master."

KingD19
Guys, I really think the apparently gay koala bear who has a napoleon complex insulted me. And I am my own master.

Vengeful Koala
Koalas aren't bears.

KingD19
I know a koala is a marsupial, I just think koala bear is a cute name, like, look at the little koala bear.

Vengeful Koala
Well, it's wrong and misleading and dumb. Like saying "Brontosaurus."

KingD19
Well, just because all that's true doesn't mean people are gonna stop saying it. And if people really wanna know what a koala is, they'll look it up, or go to a zoo.

Final Blaxican
Hey, shut-up you little bear cub.

Vengeful Koala
Yeah, shut-up you little bear cub.

KingD19
Ummmm, no?

Vengeful Koala
Reported.

KingD19
So I was reported, for saying no when you told me to shut up?

Vengeful Koala
This is the most boring banter ever.

I quit.

Lord Lucien
Reported for boring banter and making Faunus pout (he's got enough wrinkles as it is).

Captain REX
Everyone hush up and return to the topic. Cease the boring banter (alliteration points to Lord Lucien, doubly so).

Lord Lucien
*violent cough*

KingD19
You should get that checked out. It doesn't sound too good.

mattatom
Anyway back on subject after that unamusing banter-fest, what are the mechanics about lifting things with the Force?

SIDIOUS 66
Well lifting things with the force is most definately applying force directly to the object.

Lord Lucien
Lol, that's typically how movement of matter works.
It seems to be using the Force itself to move something, though using compressed air is also possible. Useless, but possible.

Red Nemesis
Originally posted by Final Blaxican
Koala's are gay.

You incorrectly pluralized the word 'Koalas' in your post.

Also: You guys are all pathetic. That was the least interesting banter that I've ever seen. Srsly. no expression

Vengeful Koala
I overestimated him. On the other hand, I got alliteration points. Woot.

Now GBOT. How does... Force drain work?

KingD19
I think it's something along the lines of actually siphoning force and life energy from the target, and using it on yourself to replenish your own health and force reserves. The way it's been portrayed, it's a very painful process for those who are caught in it.

Major Valerian
I thought it only repenished your 'Force reserves', not your health.

Damn. I hate KOTOR. 'Force drain' doesn't even make sense. It literally means someone drains someone else's ability to use the Force. Temporarily.

Wtf?

KingD19
Well, Force Drain is supposed to be just Force, but I included Health Drain as well because you can drain both health and force energy with the.....ummm..Force energy of the user.

mattatom
Well you have Force Drain(Force) then you had Death Field (Health).

Originally posted by Major Valerian
I thought it only repenished your 'Force reserves', not your health.

Damn. I hate KOTOR. 'Force drain' doesn't even make sense. It literally means someone drains someone else's ability to use the Force. Temporarily.

Wtf?

My guess is it means you drain upon their Force reserves siphoning them for your own needs, how this would be done however is entirely beyond me.

darthbane99
Force push. no its direct force.

Lightning is most likely a high frequency vib,that is channeled from a extremyl powerful jedi,who has the most mental control. Otherwise its using tk to summon ionic charges in the air to create the lighting.

And as for vader using lightning,i think he is metaphysicaly cabable of it,but not physically due to the amour.

KingD19
Anakin could do lightning, but because his suit was mechanical, as were his arms, it would kill him, also lightning needs biological limbs to work, so it would backfire, then kill him by shorting out his suit.

SIDIOUS 66
So then that proves it is not cause by ionic charges in the air.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.