Silver Surfer vs Thor (Pure Physical Slugfest)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Starscream M
No Mjolnir

No Amping

No Active Powers

Fight inside adamantium stadium.

Who wins?

Scuzz2.0
i am inclined to say the surfer takes the slight majority since thor doesnt have the hammer but thor does have the experience and skill so im not sure!

Enyalus
Without Mjolnir, I'm taking Surfer.

D-Block
I'm taking Thor.

StiltmanFTW
Thor

Philosophía
Surfer can keep up with or speedblitz Superman.

So he speedblitzes Thor.

Or so I've frequently heard on this board.

Enyalus

Naija boy
Does surfer get his board in this match? If so he wins .If not id give it to thor because of his fighting skills

Philosophía
Originally posted by Enyalus
I'd say, more technically put, 'bullrush.' Don't think I've ever seen Surfer H2H speedblitz anyone, ever. No, they specifically said that Surfer has the reaction and movement feats off the board to keep up with Superman. They even posted him dodging Hulk (which is an insane feat) and the obviously-not-hyperbole scan with 'I've only got a nanosecond left which shall not pass!!'.

Surfer obviously speedblitzes Thor.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Naija boy
Does surfer get his board in this match? If so he wins .If not id give it to thor because of his fighting skills no surfboard...sorry for not making the stipulation in my OP

Enyalus

Naija boy
Haha, well if you put it that way, obviously...

I don't see Thor being able to physically overpower an angry Hulk as easily as Surfer was able to, or physically stalemating Champion w/ bands. And hell, Surfer also briefly physically held his ground against WM Thor in one of those grappling-type matches Marvel is so fond of depicting before being hurled backwards.

And without Mjolnir, I don't see Thor's blows doing Thanos-like damage sufficient to KO him. Plus as Philosophia's already mentioned, he's got the speed advantage. wink

Heh. Your determined to make supporting thor difficult arent you? stick out tongue

Ok, i agree that surfer is more durable but i believe that thor has the speed to keep up with him here. Strength wise they are pretty comparable ( maybe edge to surfer if were referring to classic thor). Thor however has the advantage in fighting skills and i think that will be the key to his victory. He has also been a warrior for numerous milleniums and so would be more comfortable in these type of matches than surfer.

janus77
Surfer wins this. Surfer owned Abomination pretty easily, took Lunatik too and basically is far too tough for Thor to hurt.

darthgoober

KingD19
Usually all of Surfers speed feats are seen on his board. You don't often see him fight one on one, on his own two shiny foot cuffs.

zeel
Originally posted by D-Block
I'm taking Thor.

thumb up

darthgoober
Originally posted by KingD19
Usually all of Surfers speed feats are seen on his board. You don't often see him fight one on one, on his own two shiny foot cuffs.
I know, but how would being off his board dull his reactions? That's like saying that Cyclops isn't as physically strong if his visor's off since you never see feats from him that way...

KingD19
I never said it would, I was just guessing that someone would think that without his board, Surfer is a little less, Surfer.

darthgoober
I never said it would, I was just guessing that someone would think that without his board, Surfer is a little less, Surfer.
Ah ok, I thought you were one of those who liked to claim that mental speed/reaction feats from Surfer were only valid when he was on his board. Forgive me if I was mistaken.

Kris Blaze
Not a good matchup for the Surfer.

Starscream M
Originally posted by darthgoober
Ah ok, I thought you were one of those who liked to claim that mental speed/reaction feats from Surfer were only valid when he was on his board. Forgive me if I was mistaken. surfer can't move as fast on foot as he can on his board

iceman24567
No amping? Surfer is screwed Thor is a way better fighter and he's way stronger at base level Thor stomps I am not a fanboy you guys are insane.

KingD19
Well of course, since his super speed only pertains to flight, but he can fly just as fast off of his board as on it, it's just that flying without it uses his own energy. And it's not a problem dude.

darthgoober
Originally posted by Starscream M
surfer can't move as fast on foot as he can on his board
I never said he could, but then again not many CAN move as fast on foot as he does on his board. But there's nothing to indicate that his reactions are dulled in the slightest just because he's standing on the ground. If he can react to something coming at him at lightspeed while on his board, he can react to it while off his board as well. He might have to react differently(like throw up a forcefield or duck rather than loop around the beam) but he doesn't gain the mental speed of a human just from stepping off his surfboard.

kgkg

darthgoober
Originally posted by Kris Blaze
Not a good matchup for the Surfer.
I agree. Surfer's strength feats are rare enough when amping/possible amping's included, they're virtually non-existent otherwise.

Kris Blaze
I agree. Surfer's strength feats are rare enough when amping's included, they're virtually non-existent otherwise.

Yeah.

Fights with odd stipulations that put a character in a position where they have virtually no feats, be it for or against, is just plain pointless.

ThunderGodEneru
Thor IMO.

Though not as durable and fast, IMO their strength is at the least comparable, with Thor also having more consistent showings of strength than Surfer, and undeniably being the more skilled physical combatant.

KingD19
Indeed, the thunder god is right, you see Thor dishing out punishment left and right, but Surfer usually utilizes the Power Cosmic, his own base strength is very rarely seen. Plus, Thor has spent countless years training and fighting hand to hand, while Norrin Radd was a philosopher/scientist before becoming the Surfer, and has stayed much the same.

darthgoober
Yeah.

Fights with odd stipulations that put a character in a position where they have virtually no feats, be it for or against, is just plain pointless.
Pretty much. Hey who do you think would win in a chess match between Jonny Storm and Jubilee...

Kris Blaze
Pretty much. Hey who do you think would win in a chess match between Jonny Storm and Jubilee...

That's a poor example.

Both of them are too stupid to even set up the board.... cool

darthgoober
Indeed, the thunder god is right, you see Thor dishing out punishment left and right, but Surfer usually utilizes the Power Cosmic, his own base strength is very rarely seen. Plus, Thor has spent countless years training and fighting hand to hand, while Norrin Radd was a philosopher/scientist before becoming the Surfer, and has stayed much the same.
Surfer's got fighting skills. He's no blackbelt, but he spent centuries as a Herald and knows how to handle himself H2H just fine.

darthgoober
That's a poor example.

Both of them are too stupid to even set up the board.... cool
Nintendo...

kgkg
this is funny how people giving Surfer the win
No Amping , No Active Powers which means SS dies bad

heck even with amping i don't see him beating THor h2h

D_Dude1210
I don't think the Surfer can speedblitz without amping first.

h1a8
Now it is clear that SS's reactions are better than Thor's and that Thor's fighting skills are better than SS's. Let's assume their strength and physical durability is comparable enough that it won't make any difference in the fight.

While in comics Thor would win, I give this fight to Silver Surfer simply because I believe that superior senses and reactions trumps superior fighting skills most of the time.

The only way Thor can possibly win is if his attack speed is sufficiently in the vicinity of SS's reactions. If so, Thor can distract, feint, and other skillful ploys to offset SS's reaction advantage. After all, SS has done some dumb Sugar Honey Ice Tea like walk into the fists of Thanos.

Now CA beating Spidey is unacceptable to me. Spidey's reflexes at their best are infinitely better (future sense) than CA's and he is also much stronger.

Thus I see this fight similar to that one except that the skill and strength gap is smaller.

Mekrob
Originally posted by h1a8
After all, SS has done some dumb Sugar Honey Ice Tea like walk into the fists of Thanos.
Never happened.

Shit are you full of made up shit. The shit you say sometimes, I mean shit. Shitty shit.

Shit.

Enyalus
Originally posted by iceman24567
No amping? Surfer is screwed Thor is a way better fighter and he's way stronger at base level Thor stomps I am not a fanboy you guys are insane.

Surfer doesn't even need to amp to be physically above Hulk and Skaar w/ Old Power and other top tier bricks. Guys Thor usually has difficulty matching up to strengthwise.

psycho gundam
Originally posted by Mekrob
Never happened.

Shit are you full of made up shit. The shit you say sometimes, I mean shit. Shitty shit.

Shit.

^ that was beautiful.

iceman24567
Surfer doesn't even need to amp to be physically above Hulk and Skaar w/ Old Power and other top tier bricks. Guys Thor usually has difficulty matching up to strengthwise. That doesnt mean he can beat somebody stronger and better at fighting than him its a slugfest a couple right hooks and a head kick for the Ko Cro Cop style mother****er

ThunderGodEneru
His point was that Surfer is stronger dude. erm

iceman24567
How is Surfer stronger?

ThunderGodEneru
I did not say he was, I was merely commenting your response was not an adequate refute to his claim that Surfer is stronger.

I personally believe that they are at least comparable, with Thor having the edge due to more consistent showings of physical might.

Starscream M
wasn't surfer beating hulk in wwh saga?

Mindset
He sure was little buddy

kgkg
wasn't surfer beating hulk in wwh saga? nope
he only fought hulk when he<SS> was depowered

Mindset
Originally posted by kgkg
nope
he only fought hulk when he<SS> was depowered What?

kgkg
Originally posted by Mindset
What? The answer is nope everything else is irreverent

Slaanesh
surfer did give hulk and the warbound a beating while he was depowered..

kgkg
Originally posted by Slaanesh
surfer did give hulk and the warbound a beating while he was depowered.. he gave hulk a beating you sure? IIRC it was brief and SS was on the ground once hulk was mad and started pounding him.

Starscream M
Originally posted by Slaanesh
surfer did give hulk and the warbound a beating while he was depowered.. ok, so then why the hell is everyone selling surfer short in the h2h department

if he did it while depowered, then he would be even more formidable in this scenario

Starscream M
he gave hulk a beating you sure? IIRC it was brief and SS was on the ground once hulk was mad and started pounding him. if I remember correctly, surfer didn't want to fight

Enyalus
How is Surfer stronger?

I just said how. It takes everything Thor has to go mono-a-mono physically with the Hulk, for instance. Surfer's easily overpowered him on two occasions (one of which while he was cut off from the PC), beat down Skaar w/ Old Power physically, put Ravenous on his knees, physically stalemated Champion w/ Quantum Bands (who claimed to be stronger than when he possessed the PG), etc.

IMO Current SS is stronger than Classic Thor. Current Thor doesn't really have any strength feats, so...

kgkg
ok, so then why the hell is everyone selling surfer short in the h2h department

if he did it while depowered, then he would be even more formidable in this scenario that's the point he didn't

Naija boy
he gave hulk a beating you sure? IIRC it was brief and SS was on the ground once hulk was mad and started pounding him.

Well he was beating Hulk and multiple other warbound members phulk olanet hulk. Frankly hulk only got the upper hand when SS stopped fighting.

Enyalus
that's the point he didn't

Depowered and cut off from the PC Surfer physically grappled with Gladiator Hulk, then easily overpowered him and tossed him into a wall. This was after kicking the asses of the rest of the Warbound. Then Surfer got ganked by Hulk and Hirom (sp?), got hit once...gave up defending himself, and got smashed again...

While he was trying, Surfer was clearly superior.

Mindset
he gave hulk a beating you sure? IIRC it was brief and SS was on the ground once hulk was mad and started pounding him. When SS had the obedience disc on he was beating Hulk and the Warbound.

Hulk broke the obedience disc, then he proceeded to beat SS who was no longer fighting back.

Starscream M
Yeah.

Fights with odd stipulations that put a character in a position where they have virtually no feats, be it for or against, is just plain pointless. surfer winning against hulk is an impressive h2h feat

kgkg
Originally posted by Naija boy
Well he was beating Hulk and multiple other warbound members phulk olanet hulk. Frankly hulk only got the upper hand when SS stopped fighting. He wasn't really beating Hulk
when Hulk first saw SS he thought he was his friend. SS hit Hulk once and send him flying. Then Hulk jumped him and broke disk.

Your would call that one punch a beating?

iceman24567
Hulk even said Surfer would have killed them all erm

kgkg
Depowered and cut off from the PC Surfer physically grappled with Gladiator Hulk, then easily overpowered him and tossed him into a wall. This was after kicking the asses of the rest of the Warbound. Then Surfer got ganked by Hulk and Hirom (sp?), got hit once...gave up defending himself, and got smashed again...

While he was trying, Surfer was clearly superior. I punch is all we see Surfer doing. I'm not disputing that Surfer wasn't depowerd what am disputing is the "SS give Hulk a beatdown" part

Enyalus
when Hulk first saw SS he thought he was his friend. SS hit Hulk once and send him flying. Then Hulk jumped him and broke disk.

They locked up and were pushing against one another. And Surfer simply overpowered him and threw him backwards into the wall. That makes Surfer stronger. What's the difficulty?

Naija boy
He wasn't really beating Hulk

Your would call that one punch a beating?

As Enyalus said the important part is after the first hit where surfer and Hulk lock up and then surfer fairly easily overpowers him and tosses him away. After this he then continued to easily overwhelm multiple warbound members.

Note im not saying surfer wins( i gave thor the win here) just that his strength is comparable with thors

h1a8
That makes Surfer stronger. What's the difficulty?

The fact that it makes Hulk weaker.

psycho gundam
no it doesn't, all it means is that surfer naturally (he was weakened) is strong enough to hang with a "calm" wwh. both of them can increase their strength exponentially if the need arises.

but are we using current thor now or classic? current thor took the destroyer's desintigrator beam to the cheast and was pretty much fine after that, and stated during the bor fight that his odin force kept him alive. his durability now is far higher.

shokosugi
great! two b-level heroes fighting. how boring.

h1a8
Originally posted by shokosugi

I love your movies.
Ninja III: Domination
Revenge of the Ninja

joesha28
I just said how. It takes everything Thor has to go mono-a-mono physically with the Hulk, for instance. Surfer's easily overpowered him on two occasions (one of which while he was cut off from the PC), beat down Skaar w/ Old Power physically, put Ravenous on his knees, physically stalemated Champion w/ Quantum Bands (who claimed to be stronger than when he possessed the PG), etc.

IMO Current SS is stronger than Classic Thor. Current Thor doesn't really have any strength feats, so...

Current Thor does not have any physical feats?! OMG.. dude... Current Thor matched the Godslayer Skrull that flattened Beta Ray Bill! With BRB lifted asgard. Matched Skyfather Bor in strength..

Raoul

stop trolling.

Kris Blaze
surfer winning against hulk is an impressive h2h feat

You silly ignoramus.

Read the right.

occultdestroyer
Odinforce Thor FTW

quanchi112
great! two b-level heroes fighting. how boring. You call Thor a b level hero? Hahahahaha and the silver surfer..............these matchups aren't about popularity it is about who wins. I side with Thor here.

Kris Blaze
You silly ignoramus.

Read the right.

By right, I meant comic.

Mindship
I think the Surfer is too durable for Thor sans hammer to really damage. However, Surfer's not a warrior at heart. He's the less skilled and less experienced h2h fighter (supposedly). If Thor doesn't fight like a brick, the Odinson makes the better showing in what will eventually end as a stalemate.

Kris Blaze
Originally posted by Mindship
I think the Surfer is too durable for Thor sans hammer to really damage. However, Surfer's not a warrior at heart. He's the less skilled and less experienced h2h fighter (supposedly). If Thor doesn't fight like a brick, the Odinson makes the better showing in what will eventually end as a stalemate.

If Thor doesn't fight like a brick, hand to hand?.....

Note that he killed Hulk after several hours, the strength and healing factor of Banner should logically be far beyond the Sufer's by that time.

Mindship
If Thor doesn't fight like a brick, hand to hand?.....
I mean, if all he does is brawl. I don't expect flying side kicks, but Thor should be pretty savy about, say, throwing an opponent off-balance, maybe a nice armbar (here, I think, the move would be legit); moves to show that he is (or at least, should be) the superior h2h martial artist.

kgkg

Enyalus

psycho gundam
back in the sixties in terms of strength at marvel, hulk was the strongest mortal on earth bar none, then thor was created to be his superior due to him being a god, and then you have norrin radd the alien from space. hulk was third in strength back then with thor or surfer taking the top spot.

now it's more skewed with all the upgrades and the fact that these three rarely fight each other, and when they do it's not all out.

but imo the odin force is a huge reason to say thor wins, he's pretty much invulnerable to sky-father level attacks and his offensive output is enough to kill one as well. thor for the majority.

kgkg
There's still his showing against Enraged Hulk (back in 79...or was it the early 80's) where he easily catches Hulk's punch and then drains the gamma out of him to revert back to Banner. Ya catch someone's punch easily, chances are you're stronger. Scan? are you referring to the first showing of hulk vs surfer where it is said he is faster that the "cosmic wind" or something like that?

All the hulk vs Surfer fight surfer ends up using energy blast while hulk is always pounding him in physical combat nothing Surfer has shown puts him over hulk h2h.

Champion in h2h killed Surfer in She-Hulk , also Surfer had to amp his strength to overcome Ben Grim

Surfer is OK in H2H stronger than Hulk is unfounded

Enyalus
Scan? are you referring to the first showing of hulk vs surfer where it is said he is faster that the "cosmic wind" or something like that?

Yeah, thats the one. And inside the issue he easily catches Hulk's fist and drains him back to Banner.

Champion in h2h killed Surfer in She-Hulk

Yeah, off panel. And with the Power Gem helping him. With the Quantum Band imitation, Surfer was stalemating him H2H. And Surfer recently kicked Skaar's ass while he was wielding the Old Power. so...

also Surfer had to amp his strength to overcome Ben Grim

Uh-huh...and this was back when Ben Grimm was toppling Galactus...

iceman24567
Skaar sucks he doesn't even know how to use the Old Power currectly thumb down

Enyalus
Skaar sucks he doesn't even know how to use the Old Power currectly thumb down

'Cause its sealed away currently? I think right now he's only wielding a small portion of it via his mother.

iceman24567
'Cause its sealed away currently? I think right now he's only wielding a small portion of it via his mother. messed

kgkg

I don't see how catching someone's fist makes you stronger? Faster maybe

Champion has never been that good with the gem. It was also hinted that Surfer lost because it was a H2H match when she-hulk asked "didn't he beat him in the past". Surfer has hardly won any H2H fight most of the time he would throw a punch or two but always uses cosmic Blasts.

That was pretty impressive but Skaar hasn't done much

Surfer had tons of good feat back in issue 1

abhilegend
Bump

Thinkerer
Physical brawl goes to Thor imo. More skilled, at least he should be. SS was a scientist, not a thousands of years old warrior.

h1a8
Thor is stronger and a much better fighter.
Surfer is more durable

I say Thor.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by Thinkerer
More skilled, at least he should be.

He is. Both handbooks and on-panel showings support that. 2/7 and 4/7.

Originally posted by Thinkerer
SS was a scientist, not a thousands of years old warrior.

But he should be much more, given that vast experience.

As he is portrayed, green belts and z-list martial artists would mop the floor with him.

tkitna
Thor

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.