Why Seven Samurai?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

siriuswriter
my friend and i are trying to make it through the afi's 100 best films list, and coming up soon is 'seven samurai.' i was just wondering, for those who have seen this film, why, in your opinion, is it worth such a high commendation?

Robtard
Good story (though slow at times)

Good battles

Great acting from Toshiro Mifune

Personally, I liked Yojimbo better; it's my favorite Kurosawa film, of the ones I''ve seen.

BruceSkywalker
Seven Samurai is one of the best samurai films of all time, IMO

MildPossession
I recommend his crime drama films as well, especially High and Low, amazing film from Kurosawa.

SnakeEyes
And I recommend Ikiru!

siriuswriter
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
And I recommend Ikiru!

thank you!

even though you lot love it, i'm still a bit like : kung fu, black and white, in japanese?

more like, how is a person who can't even watch the karate kid and barely made it through crouching tiger hidden dragon be able to do this? two parts? long intermission?

*sigh*

MildPossession
Kung Fu? I can't remember kung fu in Seven Samurai... If you do see it, get the Criterion Region 1 dvd version of the film, it's brilliant, oh and importantly it's the over 200 minutes original.

and what AFI list are you going by because I can't find Seven Samurai on the Best 100 list?

You should go through the BFI Top 100 British films list too, some amazing films on that list.

siriuswriter
not kung fu? *is a little confused*

what a tick. what genre is this movie?!

Dr Will Hatch
It's a Samurai film. Lots of action, but none of it Kung Fu. Think warfare and swordplay. It's an excellent film that that has great characterization yet is epic at the same time.

AverageSavage
it's got alot of great drama aswell as fights. Also, one of the more emotional films i've seen. It's a great movie, you should deffo see it

siriuswriter
yay! i am reassured. so more like grace and elegance and mastery of the sword then "i was born and there was a prophecy and my name is jackie chan so you can bet your ass i'll be kicking butt as soon as the plot is established."

sheila143
One of the best battle movie,though a bit slow,but when you getting something good it is okay,

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.