KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Why Seven Samurai?

Why Seven Samurai?
Started by: siriuswriter

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
siriuswriter

Why Seven Samurai?

my friend and i are trying to make it through the afi's 100 best films list, and coming up soon is 'seven samurai.' i was just wondering, for those who have seen this film, why, in your opinion, is it worth [or not worth] such a high commendation?

It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.

Old Post Jun 12th, 2009 10:16 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robtard
Senor Member

Re: Why Seven Samurai?

Good story (though slow at times)

Good battles

Great acting from Toshiro Mifune

Personally, I liked Yojimbo better; it's my favorite Kurosawa film, of the ones I''ve seen.

You've Just Been Kirked To The Curb

Old Post Jun 13th, 2009 04:27 AM
Robtard is currently offline Click here to Send Robtard a Private Message Find more posts by Robtard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Seven Samurai is one of the best samurai films of all time, IMO

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 13th, 2009 04:37 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

I recommend his crime drama films as well, especially High and Low, amazing film from Kurosawa.

Old Post Jun 13th, 2009 02:58 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SnakeEyes
Connoisseur

And I recommend Ikiru!

"Nothing is ever as good as you can imagine it."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 12:47 AM
SnakeEyes is currently offline Click here to Send SnakeEyes a Private Message Find more posts by SnakeEyes Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by SnakeEyes
And I recommend Ikiru!

thank you!

even though you lot love it, i'm still a bit like : kung fu, black and white, in japanese?

more like, how is a person who can't even watch the karate kid and barely made it through crouching tiger hidden dragon be able to do this? two parts? long intermission?

*sigh*

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 03:13 PM
siriuswriter is currently offline Click here to Send siriuswriter a Private Message Find more posts by siriuswriter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Kung Fu? I can't remember kung fu in Seven Samurai... If you do see it, get the Criterion Region 1 dvd version of the film, it's brilliant, oh and importantly it's the over 200 minutes original.

and what AFI list are you going by because I can't find Seven Samurai on the Best 100 list?

You should go through the BFI Top 100 British films list too, some amazing films on that list.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 04:47 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

not kung fu? *is a little confused*

what a tick. what genre is this movie?!

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 07:18 PM
Dr Will Hatch

It's a Samurai film. Lots of action, but none of it Kung Fu. Think warfare and swordplay. It's an excellent film that that has great characterization yet is epic at the same time.

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 07:40 PM
Dr Will Hatch is currently offline Click here to Send Dr Will Hatch a Private Message Find more posts by Dr Will Hatch Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AverageSavage

it's got alot of great drama aswell as fights. Also, one of the more emotional films i've seen. It's a great movie, you should deffo see it

Thanks Starlock

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 08:36 PM
AverageSavage is currently offline Click here to Send AverageSavage a Private Message Find more posts by AverageSavage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
siriuswriter

yay! i am reassured. so more like grace and elegance and mastery of the sword then "i was born and there was a prophecy and my name is jackie chan so you can bet your ass i'll be kicking butt as soon as the plot is established."

Old Post Jun 14th, 2009 10:48 PM
sheila143
Restricted

Account Restricted

One of the best battle movie,though a bit slow,but when you getting something good it is okay,

Old Post Jul 1st, 2009 01:40 PM
sheila143 is currently offline Click here to Send sheila143 a Private Message Find more posts by sheila143 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote