Is 3D the next step for movies?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

coolmovies
Is 3D the next step for movies?? Movies out at the moment in 3D are G force and Ice age 3. Also films like Terminator 2 and Titanic are going the same way.

One can only hope for a 3D version of Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!

MildPossession
I'm not a fan of the trend at all. But as long as there is a choice of 2D and 3D for every film that's made, then I will be fine with it.

Quincy
It looks like thats the way things are progressing. But at least the glasses aren't those Blue and Red cardboard things anymore.

coolmovies
I agree with you about the glasses

T.M
Originally posted by MildPossession
I'm not a fan of the trend at all. But as long as there is a choice of 2D and 3D for every film that's made, then I will be fine with it.

Ditto

I have never seen the point.

BruceSkywalker
3-d has been around since the '50s..

Originally posted by coolmovies
Is 3D the next step for movies?? Movies out at the moment in 3D are G force and Ice age 3. Also films like Terminator 2 and Titanic are going the same way.

One can only hope for a 3D version of Star Wars!!!!!!!!!!!!

thats because the studio wants some extra money

botankus
Yeah, I love reading posts which infer that the cinema industry began in 2004.

coolmovies
They are also introducing 3D TV's i thought it was LED TV next in line ??

MildPossession
I wouldn't mind if it didn't do my head in. Like motion sickness gets on my nerves. It doesn't make me sick but I get a headache after just a little 3D action, so a whole hour or two would be hell.

2D for me thanks.

Tired-Hiker
I'm not sure paying the extra few bucks to see a movie in 3-D is worth it. I was very impressed with the trend when Beowolf came out. But after seeing Avatar, I pretty much got so used to it that I didn't even notice it anymore. The 'wow' effect has been lost. When it comes to big action blockbusters, I'd prefer a huge screen with loud sound over 3-D if it's going to save me some money.

It would be cool if they could make 3-D movies where you can actually focus on anything in the frame that you choose to. That would be pretty neat, but then it would probably lose it's 'wow' factor soon after as well.

BackFire
The only time I've ever really been impressed with 3D was with Avatar. Using it to simply add depth to the images, rather than having everything popping out so that it becomes distracting.

The glasses are annoying too, since I have to wear them on top of my normal glasses.

rox
the final destination movie is the only one i have liked. only because that tire scene where everyone in the room ducked

jinXed by JaNx
I don't know if it's the future of movies but i think it's definitely the future of Cinema. I agree with most of you. I feel that 3-D is an expensive gimmick. I do, however appreciate that there are filmmakers out there that are trying to do something worthwhile and new with the technology. Filmmakers and movie studios need to do something today that will convince people that going to the Cinema is worthwhile. Today the average consumer can have cutting edge media technology in their home. When you have a 42 inch lcd screen and THX certified surround sound in your home you're probably less likely to take a gamble on a movie when it will be on dvd in in a month or two.

3-D and Imax is an experience that you can only get in the theater and Studios are going to exploit this as much as possible. That's why we have movies shown in 3-D that shouldn't. The only movies i've seen in 3-D that made me feel justified in the extra cost was Beowulf, The Polar Express and Avatar. I like the idea of 3-D but it's rare that a movie is able to utilize the technology properly. Hopefully filmmakers will follow, Camerons route and learn from him.

I would like to see someone improve upon Camerons new cameras because he came very close to achieving a 3-d experience that lasted the entire length of the movie.

H. S. 6
Originally posted by BackFire
The only time I've ever really been impressed with 3D was with Avatar. Using it to simply add depth to the images, rather than having everything popping out so that it becomes distracting.

thumb up

I saw Beowulf in 3D and didn't enjoy it at all, but the 3D effects in Avatar were well done.

FistOfThe North
current 3d will only get better from now on because of avatar. the only thing that could or would top avatar now be virtual 3d. or virtual reality. but i believe 3d has a few more stages to go through before being perfected into what it's truly suppose to be: a truly emmersive visual environmental experience the likes of regular human vision and experience. it'll get to that point within 2 decades at most. then virtual reality is what cinemas'll try out next with that being perfected in a decade. same thing with home media.

it'll be great.

Tired-Hiker
Go see a play. The 3-D is AMAZING!!!!!

S_D_J
Originally posted by BackFire

The glasses are annoying too, since I have to wear them on top of my normal glasses.

Agreed

Avatar is the first movie I've seen trying to achieve an immersive 3D experience.

Every time I go see a movie, I always choose the 3D version (as long as there is a 3D version) just cuz I like the gimmick... but so far that's what it's been, a gimmick barely used in a movie except for the gimmicky bullet/car/tire/whatever flying at your face.

that said, I think 3D is not suitable for all genres, so I think there will still be normal 2D movies being made

... besides it makes your eyes hurt after a while

xJLxKing
I am really not a fan of the way 3-D is being used by movies lately. The part where object seemed to be thrown in your face is being overused. That's all 3-D is about. It's nice at first, but gets boring. The way 3-D is used in Avatar is better. It really doesn't have stuff popping in your face. It's more about the enivirmonent

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.