Adopt a Game into Movie

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

jabjabcross
Which one of your favorite game would you like to see adopted into a movie? And if you want you can go as far as who you would like to see star in it or directed by and whatevs!

Smasandian
Half Life.

Would make a fantastic movie in my opinion but if they did it, I would like to see the original Half Life first.

It won't happen unless a perfect deal comes across Valve's lap.

jabjabcross
Originally posted by Smasandian
Half Life.

Would make a fantastic movie in my opinion but if they did it, I would like to see the original Half Life first.

It won't happen unless a perfect deal comes across Valve's lap.

Yeah, it does have the narrative for a great sci-fi movie. Kinda Like

this ?

Smasandian
Yeah, that was done really well, but I would like to see the first Half Life. The Half Life people are forgetting about.

jabjabcross
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, that was done really well, but I would like to see the first Half Life. The Half Life people are forgetting about.

Ohhh, yeah, that would definitely be good!

Mr Omiverseria
Movies are weak. Most of the great video game storylines are too big for a movie to handle.

Smasandian
I would say vice versa.

Mr Omiverseria
Well you would be wrong.

The Nuul
Prototype, HL, Halo, Bioshock and Fallout.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Mr Omiverseria
Well you would be wrong.

Umm no.

Most games stories are taken directly from movies. It's much easier to tell a story in a movie than a game because of the inherent problems games have like the ability of deciding where the character is going.

Mr Omiverseria
Ummm... what? The vast majority of storyline driven games tell their own original story. Those based off of films are in the vast, vast minority, and for the most part are pretty forgettable. As for your second comment, I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say, because in a storyline driven game, where the character is "going" is dictated by the storyline; it's not like the storyline has to accommodate such a thing.

Mr Omiverseria
Anyway I won't get into an entire evaluation of the two storytelling mediums and their relative strengths and weaknesses but what I will get into is what I was specifically addressing; the vast majority of the great video game storylines tell storylines that are quite simply full of too much content for a movie to be able to effectively adapt. Take Xenogears for example, easily a 100+ hour game and almost all of that was story oriented. A movie, which is intended to be viewed in one sitting and as such is at most a few hours in length quite simply doesn't have the capabilities to adequately tell a story of such scope. The same applies to almost any other Japanese Role Playing Game as well as the other great video game storylines such as those told in the Metal Gear Solid series.

jabjabcross
Originally posted by Mr Omiverseria
Anyway I won't get into an entire evaluation of the two storytelling mediums and their relative strengths and weaknesses but what I will get into is what I was specifically addressing; the vast majority of the great video game storylines tell storylines that are quite simply full of too much content for a movie to be able to effectively adapt. Take Xenogears for example, easily a 100+ hour game and almost all of that was story oriented. A movie, which is intended to be viewed in one sitting and as such is at most a few hours in length quite simply doesn't have the capabilities to adequately tell a story of such scope. The same applies to almost any other Japanese Role Playing Game as well as the other great video game storylines such as those told in the Metal Gear Solid series.

I think your insight is interesting and with high regard, I have to say that both mediums have their respective methods of playing out and reaching the audience/gamer in the process. In my opinion, I would lean towards you and agree that the game does tend to be more comprehensive compared to a movie and the interactive aspect of it can certainly make it more engaging.

But the most important facet of this is that the game be done right and the narrative, the plotline, the characters, the story, all be played out in a way that moves in a linear fashion. So perhaps NOT all games are better than movies, but can certainly be! Such as Uncharted 2 that I have most recently been playing! It covers most of those grounds and makes for an engrossing experience, perhaps slightly more than a movie would!

SaTsuJiN
I'd like to see either metroid or final fantasy 6 turned into a movie

both have very vulnerable and deep lead characters

jabjabcross
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

both have very vulnerable and deep lead characters

Hmmm... Yeah, I can totally see metroid as a movie... Vulnerable and Deep lead characters.... interesting... Is that the most appealing thing about a movie OR a game to you?

SaTsuJiN
well.. I just really hate it when the main character is retarded overpowered and emotionless

I dont know if you've seen the "Believe" advertisement for Halo 3..

NOOcfYrLPu4

but thats really what gets me in film / games.. seeing humanity displayed properly

unfortunately ODST was nothing like this.. despite chief being completely out of the picture

NemeBro
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN

both have very vulnerable and deep lead characters FFVI would be great because I would love to see them pull off a good Kefka.

Wolverine2179
And i sure hope they don't pull of a FFVII movie or all the fanboys are going to masturbate vigorously when cloud appears on screen.

But i would like to see a HL movie.

Phanteros
Infamous and Drake's fortune is begging for a film.

MadMel
note - before you read, its advisable that you dont take my ideas seriously - also possible spoilers erm

Assassin's Creed?
Spore (space age only) - they could turn it into some cheesy kids movie about the war against the grox stick out tongue
Second Sight
Zelda: Ocarina of Time (dunno how they'd do it though)
Phoenix Wright (actually would work as an anime series rather than a movie, since it is based off a manga)
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
The Secret of Monkey Island - NOT Pirates of the Caribbean
Zombies Ate my Neighbors - again, as a kids movie

thats all i have for now erm

Juk3n
Deus Ex (it really needs to be told again and kept alive because it's the single greatest conspiracy theory story ever created)

Half Life - because scifi/zombie/monster movies have lacked one thing more than any other. Head Crabs. We need more Head Crabs.

Mass Effect - could potentially be the new star wars.

Broken Sword 1&2 - 2 of the best Crime/corruptuion stories ever put into game. Brendon Fraiser for George Stobbartt.

Grim Fandango - for obvious reasons, get Depp, Burton and Carter, make it rated 15 and up. Perfectomundo.

Bioshock, if done correctly - definetley make it rated 15 and up.

Kero_Co
Kirby + Pixar = Win

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.