Is Single-Player in Danger of Extinction?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
http://kotaku.com/5376331/is-single+player-in-danger-of-extinction

So what do you gamers think, could single-player be in grave danger or will we still have it till the end of time?

S_D_J
The ways some games stride for a cinematic feel to their main story, most of the time they can't and don't work as a multiplayer game.

As long as developers bother with a single player experience (most games demand it) I doubt they'll go away.

Multiplayer is a sad excuse to extend a title's lasting appeal in most cases. It's not a fad that will go away, but sooner or later they will have to noticed that listening to fan requests hurts their artistic freedom

Nemesis X
I want the single-player to live forever. To me, because of the multiplayer, games get very short single-player campaigns *cough*ODST*cough*. Seriously though, I don't see what's awesome about multiplayer. Most excuses from most gamers say "in Multiplayer, we get to pwn some noobs". Seriously people, can't you think of a better excuse than that?

The lone wolf shall live while the herd of wolves die.

Smasandian
Single player will never go away.

jinXed by JaNx
no, the single player adventure will always be around in video games. I think everyone would like to see more single player games offer co-op though.

Ms.Marvel
i dont think it will ever disappear but i wouldnt care if it did. ive never enjoyed a purely single player game.

Zack Fair
Single player will always be around.

Wei Phoenix
No because a co-op God Of War game would be boring. You can't find someone to match Kratos and his bad assness.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Single player will always be around.

Bad single player most definitely but what about good single player? With teams focusing on multiplayer, single player is reduced to small hours and it seems rare to have good single player games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2. It's long and unlike some games, has a lot of effort put into the plot and characters without feeling dull.

Sin_Volvagia
Do you seriously believe that?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
Do you seriously believe that?

To tell you the truth I don't know what to believe in anymore. Things have been getting messed up in the gaming industry this year.

Smasandian
MP + SP games have been around forever. Doom had a MP component (granted it wasn't the easiest thing to use) but the idea that MP is reducing SP games is kind of far fetched.

There is more pure SP games then there is pure MP games out now. L4D is one of the exceptions but most games coming out today offer both modes because it's pretty much norm. Games like Zelda, RPG's do really well because they offer a SP game.

Madden developers released info stating that only 50% of Madde owners play it online. That's a pretty significant number of people who only play it SP.

Ridley_Prime
To a lot of gamers, online play is just another phase: Something new that gets old fast.

BackFire
Nope. Not even close to being in danger.

Ushgarak
Playing with friends is enormously fun. In fact, playing with friends either against each other or a machine was one of the reasons video games came into existence in the first place. It has then taken a long time for the whole idea of 'playing with friends' to come to life, wit the advent of the net etc., but that was always goign to take a heavy focus. It is good that there is a lot of thinking about multiplayer, especially co-op.

But te thing is... we often hear stories about single player being under threat. It's odd, because single player has far mroe still to be done with it than multiplayer. With multiplayer, especially competitive multiplayer, all that is left to do is to perfect the communications technology so there is no lag. Then... that's it. That is as far as that sort of multiplayer can ever go, because the one thing game designers cannot make better is people.

In single player, things like AI are still in their infancy. We've got forever and a day for all of the facets that make single player decent to keep improving, because the technology is still way behind the only possible limit for single player, which is how good the story is and even that only applies to certain genres.

What happens when we have AI that is as challenging and entertaining as another human opponent? The obsession with multiplayer might not be what it was.

I still love co-op stuff though, and that really is a category of its own. Left 4 Dead is trying to push the AI envelope in that area.

Smasandian
Even if with have AI that can compete realistically with humans (I don't mean Dark Sim for Perfect Dark), the social aspect of MP will still be there and will still be the draw of it.

Ushgarak
There's a flip side to that. Other people can be complete twats online. The social side can alienate as often as it attracts.

Peach
Originally posted by Ushgarak
There's a flip side to that. Other people can be complete twats online. The social side can alienate as often as it attracts.

Other people being cretins is generally my biggest aversion to multiplayer.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Peach
Other people being cretins is generally my biggest aversion to multiplayer.
Same, and I'll probably prefer AI bots even over them.

Neo Darkhalen
There will always be a single player; as noted above all it takes are a few idiots to ruin the entire multiplayer experience.

Dark Exile
Originally posted by Nemesis X
To tell you the truth I don't know what to believe in anymore. Things have been getting messed up in the gaming industry this year.

Come on Nemesis, your more in danger of extinction than Single player... wink

Ridley_Prime
hanone

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Dark Exile
Come on Nemesis, your more in danger of extinction than Single player... wink

You're gonna be extinct when I kick your father in the nuts so hard he'll never get a woman pregnant and give birth to another little turd like you.

littlefox_Kovu
Multiplayer is fun, but it's always good to play a single player game with a good story. I don't think single player is anywhere close to being over.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Ushgarak

True.

FistOfThe North
i still play single player more than online play. i do hate split screen co-op single player (or story-mode), though.

i don't think there're any good reasons to get rid of "single player".

Mandrag Ganon
The reason I play games is for the single player. I have more games that are only single player than I do games with multiplayer, and I don't always touch the multi-player on games that have it.

Infact I have a major aversion to MMOs because they are so massively multiplayer, and don't have a real congruent, continuing story. Yea, they can have plenty of back story, and there is alot to do in them, but without a congruent story I don't feel a reason to do all the things you can in an MMO. Single player usually doesn't have the expansive ammount of content that MMOs have but atleast when I am playing a single player game, I have an over-arching goal that gives me reason to go after random Item A. Multiplayer just doesn't match a good single player experience IMHO.

You're gonna be extinct when I kick your father in the nuts so hard he'll never get a woman pregnant and give birth to another little turd like you.

Wow... clever... how long did it take you to come up with that? an hour? Two?

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Mandrag Ganon
Wow... clever... how long did it take you to come up with that? an hour? Two?

A little less time than it took for you to come up with that come back.

Tsal Can
What??!

Dark Exile

My father beat you to it, had a vasectomy after his fourth kid, sorry. Didn't know you were concerned with his genitalia though. confused

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.