KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Is Single-Player in Danger of Extinction?

Is Single-Player in Danger of Extinction?
Started by: Nemesis X

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Is Single-Player in Danger of Extinction?

http://kotaku.com/5376331/is-single...r-of-extinction

So what do you gamers think, could single-player be in grave danger or will we still have it till the end of time?

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 12:49 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
S_D_J
Bane

The ways some games stride for a cinematic feel to their main story, most of the time they can't and don't work as a multiplayer game.

As long as developers bother with a single player experience (most games demand it) I doubt they'll go away.

Multiplayer is a sad excuse to extend a title's lasting appeal in most cases. It's not a fad that will go away, but sooner or later they will have to noticed that listening to fan requests hurts their artistic freedom

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die." -BANE

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 01:21 AM
S_D_J is currently offline Click here to Send S_D_J a Private Message Find more posts by S_D_J Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

I want the single-player to live forever. To me, because of the multiplayer, games get very short single-player campaigns *cough*ODST*cough*. Seriously though, I don't see what's awesome about multiplayer. Most excuses from most gamers say "in Multiplayer, we get to pwn some noobs". Seriously people, can't you think of a better excuse than that?

The lone wolf shall live while the herd of wolves die.

Thanks Scythe for the sig.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 01:36 AM
Nemesis X is currently offline Click here to Send Nemesis X a Private Message Find more posts by Nemesis X Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Single player will never go away.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 02:18 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

no, the single player adventure will always be around in video games. I think everyone would like to see more single player games offer co-op though.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 02:33 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AthenasTrgrFngr
Don't wanna die...

i dont think it will ever disappear but i wouldnt care if it did. ive never enjoyed a purely single player game.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 02:40 AM
AthenasTrgrFngr is currently offline Click here to Send AthenasTrgrFngr a Private Message Find more posts by AthenasTrgrFngr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zack Fair
Fanboy

Single player will always be around.

Many thanks to Rao Kal-EL Da Man

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 02:52 AM
Zack Fair is currently offline Click here to Send Zack Fair a Private Message Find more posts by Zack Fair Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wei Phoenix
One-Eyed Dragon Of Oshu

No because a co-op God Of War game would be boring. You can't find someone to match Kratos and his bad assness.

You Wa Shock!

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:01 AM
Wei Phoenix is currently offline Click here to Send Wei Phoenix a Private Message Find more posts by Wei Phoenix Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zack Fair
Single player will always be around.

Bad single player most definitely but what about good single player? With teams focusing on multiplayer, single player is reduced to small hours and it seems rare to have good single player games like Naughty Dog's Uncharted 2. It's long and unlike some games, has a lot of effort put into the plot and characters without feeling dull.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:04 AM
Sin_Volvagia

Do you seriously believe that?

sig by ScreamPaste

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:09 AM
Sin_Volvagia is currently offline Click here to Send Sin_Volvagia a Private Message Find more posts by Sin_Volvagia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nemesis X
Cynical Tyrant

Originally posted by Sin_Volvagia
Do you seriously believe that?

To tell you the truth I don't know what to believe in anymore. Things have been getting messed up in the gaming industry this year.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:17 AM
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

MP + SP games have been around forever. Doom had a MP component (granted it wasn't the easiest thing to use) but the idea that MP is reducing SP games is kind of far fetched.

There is more pure SP games then there is pure MP games out now. L4D is one of the exceptions but most games coming out today offer both modes because it's pretty much norm. Games like Zelda, RPG's do really well because they offer a SP game.

Madden developers released info stating that only 50% of Madde owners play it online. That's a pretty significant number of people who only play it SP.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:35 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

To a lot of gamers, online play is just another phase: Something new that gets old fast.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 05:36 AM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Nope. Not even close to being in danger.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 07:17 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Playing with friends is enormously fun. In fact, playing with friends either against each other or a machine was one of the reasons video games came into existence in the first place. It has then taken a long time for the whole idea of 'playing with friends' to come to life, wit the advent of the net etc., but that was always goign to take a heavy focus. It is good that there is a lot of thinking about multiplayer, especially co-op.

But te thing is... we often hear stories about single player being under threat. It's odd, because single player has far mroe still to be done with it than multiplayer. With multiplayer, especially competitive multiplayer, all that is left to do is to perfect the communications technology so there is no lag. Then... that's it. That is as far as that sort of multiplayer can ever go, because the one thing game designers cannot make better is people.

In single player, things like AI are still in their infancy. We've got forever and a day for all of the facets that make single player decent to keep improving, because the technology is still way behind the only possible limit for single player, which is how good the story is and even that only applies to certain genres.

What happens when we have AI that is as challenging and entertaining as another human opponent? The obsession with multiplayer might not be what it was.

I still love co-op stuff though, and that really is a category of its own. Left 4 Dead is trying to push the AI envelope in that area.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 07:19 AM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

Even if with have AI that can compete realistically with humans (I don't mean Dark Sim for Perfect Dark), the social aspect of MP will still be there and will still be the draw of it.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 02:50 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

There's a flip side to that. Other people can be complete twats online. The social side can alienate as often as it attracts.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:01 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Originally posted by Ushgarak
There's a flip side to that. Other people can be complete twats online. The social side can alienate as often as it attracts.

Other people being cretins is generally my biggest aversion to multiplayer.

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:04 PM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ridley_Prime
Smug icon slayer

Originally posted by Peach
Other people being cretins is generally my biggest aversion to multiplayer.

Same, and I'll probably prefer AI bots even over them.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:11 PM
Ridley_Prime is currently offline Click here to Send Ridley_Prime a Private Message Find more posts by Ridley_Prime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Neo Darkhalen
Mission zero

There will always be a single player; as noted above all it takes are a few idiots to ruin the entire multiplayer experience.

Old Post Oct 19th, 2009 03:51 PM
Neo Darkhalen is currently offline Click here to Send Neo Darkhalen a Private Message Find more posts by Neo Darkhalen Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote