Cheater or Fair Player?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Be honest in here, do you cheat in videogames or do you play them fair and square?

Spidervlad
It all depends.

I honestly hate hard games with a burning passion... Sure, they'll last longer, but the frustration isn't worth it. I feel like a game which I can play through without dying as much or having any frustrations will appeal to me more.

Too many a game have I simply stopped playing because I don't require any more frustration in my life... I mean I have enough in my personal life, why in the world would I need more in a game? Therefore, knowing that if it gets to me I might just stop playing completely, I usually do use cheats to help out if it comes to that point.

AsbestosFlaygon
I tend to cheat only the easier games.. There's no point in playing an easy game, so why not cheat? laughing out loud

I do play fair on most harder games.. it's more challenging and it's a rewarding feeling to finish a hard game.

Nemesis X
I use loads of cheats in GTA Sanandreas and IV. Without the cheats, GTA would feel half dull.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Nemesis X
I use loads of cheats in GTA Sanandreas and IV. Without the cheats, GTA would feel half dull.

Hehe, yeah. Causing carnage in GTA without cheats just wouldn't be the same.

Smasandian
Originally posted by Spidervlad
It all depends.

I honestly hate hard games with a burning passion... Sure, they'll last longer, but the frustration isn't worth it. I feel like a game which I can play through without dying as much or having any frustrations will appeal to me more.

Too many a game have I simply stopped playing because I don't require any more frustration in my life... I mean I have enough in my personal life, why in the world would I need more in a game? Therefore, knowing that if it gets to me I might just stop playing completely, I usually do use cheats to help out if it comes to that point.

I'm in the same boat.

If the game is constantly hard, I don't mind. It's meant to be that.

It's when the game is cheap or have an uneven difficulty level. That's when I wish some games had a cheat code.

S_D_J
Be honest in here, do you cheat in videogames or do you play them fair and square?

Depends on the game

That ACDC Chick
if its a game that ive been playing a long while and actually has cheats available, then yes
otherwise no

jalek moye
I'll cheat for trivial things like costumes and what not. But I dont do serious gameplay altering cheats

That ACDC Chick
i think the only game i really would cheat on was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 after id finally unlocked everything fairly, it was fun to unlock the stuff with one code plus the moon physics cheat was always a hoot

Peach
Grand Theft Auto is far more fun with flying tanks.

BackFire
Worst I'll do is lower the difficulty setting.

Morridini
I hardly ever cheat. Only cheat I've used in the last couple of years was the one that let you get all powerups iin The Force Unleashed in order to get the achievment for hardest difficulty, the game was simply cheating.

Nemesis X
Originally posted by Peach
Grand Theft Auto is far more fun with flying tanks.

QFT

Digi
I used cheat codes to beat all of Warcraft II.

In general, no, but there's always exceptions like the one above. And most of the time it's just for fun (like the flying tanks example earlier), because to make a game purposefully easier is to cheapen it.

I also used the insta-money cheat in the original "The Sims." But I had grown bored with the game and there's not really a way to win in a traditional sense. So I just messed around designing houses, because that had more appeal to me.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by That ACDC Chick
i think the only game i really would cheat on was Tony Hawk Pro Skater 4 after id finally unlocked everything fairly, it was fun to unlock the stuff with one code plus the moon physics cheat was always a hoot

*hi-fives*

brings back memories i remember the moon gravity cheat eek!

also all the weird characters... like daisy ermm

Bardock42

I refuse to accept that I can cheat myself uhuh

Peach
Originally posted by Digi

I also used the insta-money cheat in the original "The Sims." But I had grown bored with the game and there's not really a way to win in a traditional sense. So I just messed around designing houses, because that had more appeal to me.

Who doesn't use that cheat in the Sims games?

One of my favorite things to do in Sims 2 is build these huge elaborate houses, and then seeing how long it takes the actual Sims to burn the place to the ground. Considering I've had them start fires making poptarts not five minutes after starting the game, it generally doesn't take long. It's a pity that the Sims in Sims 3 are more intelligent and not quite as suicidally accident-prone stick out tongue

SaTsuJiN
I'm too lazy to cheat...

It's a pity that the Sims in Sims 3 are more intelligent and not quite as suicidally accident-prone stick out tongue

or as incontinent.. my neice had these hilarious sims (due to her lack of caretaking) that just kept pissin themselves and fallin asleep every 3 steps.. god that was good stuff.. the wife even fell asleep in a puddle out in the middle of the street on the way to her car..rofl

this was on some random gamecube version though

-Pr-
depends entirely on the game, tbh.

Started cheating on Dragon Age, but only after the second playthrough when i just wanted to see all the storylines.

Finished Dawn of War 2 without cheats, then used them for the lulz to replay campaign.

One game that does benefit from cheats, though? Superman Returns. Seriously. Playing it with cheats on is actually a passable Superman experience.

Scythe
I usually try out all the cheats a game has to offer only during the second playthrough. I try to at least beat it first without, then start an extra game cheating like a whore.

One Free Man
I normally cheat on things that are really shittily designed.

Like the part in oblivion where you must open this door for this quest at this certain time of day but your lockpick skills are so low that you can't do it at all and the place to buy lockpicks is 25 ****ing miles away and there's no option for non-stealth classes.

Then I press the '~' and click on the door and just press unlock.

Or parts of a quest where you need money to advance and there's practically no way to get money.

AsbestosFlaygon
I remember after I've mastered StarCraft, I'd turn on the codes just to piss off the other gamers.

"Black Sheep Wall" to see what they're up to. It was hilarious.

Sometimes they just go 'WTF? Who won?' when I use the "There is no cow level" code laughing out loud

Kris Blaze
how does one master Starcraft?

Peach
Originally posted by SaTsuJiN
I'm too lazy to cheat...

or as incontinent.. my neice had these hilarious sims (due to her lack of caretaking) that just kept pissin themselves and fallin asleep every 3 steps.. god that was good stuff.. the wife even fell asleep in a puddle out in the middle of the street on the way to her car..rofl

this was on some random gamecube version though

You may appreciate this.

Darth Vicious
I try to play/beat the game as much as I can without checking Gamefaqs. If I get too stuck, I have no problems going there. I mainly cheat to find items. I also try all the cheat codes but if they disable the achievements as it usually happen, I ignore them.

That ACDC Chick
You may appreciate this.
i actually did that once in Sims Bustin' Out and left one of the AI characters in a locked room for like a week in game time
but once i got annoyed by her crys for food, a shower and the bathroom, i turned her into my maid since she didnt bring in any money to my count for going to work anyways

Peach
laughing out loud

Sim asylums are also pretty damn entertaining.

That ACDC Chick
laughing out loud

Sim asylums are also pretty damn entertaining.
which Sims does that apply for? it looks like fun laughing

Peach
I've only done it with Sims 2. It'll probably only work properly on PC versions of the game.

Kris Blaze
Sims is a game I tend to cheat in. Normally I like to have one decent play"through" to the extent you can play through a Sims game. Then I like to have one with unlimited money and such. Sometimes I'd cheat by pushing my friends or interrupting them when we're playing multiplayer games, but that's it.

I would never -ever- cheat in a board game.

That ACDC Chick
I've only done it with Sims 2. It'll probably only work properly on PC versions of the game.
and i have neither mhmm
i guess its time to save up for a new one since the last one i got was Sims 2 Castaway

Digi
I had no idea the box I was opening by mentioning cheating in the Sims. I built houses. You guys torture. Bastards.

no expression

Tha C-Master
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I remember after I've mastered StarCraft, I'd turn on the codes just to piss off the other gamers.

Sometimes they just go 'WTF? Who won?' when I use the "There is no cow level" code laughing out loud I was certain you can't cheat in multiplayer.

Ms.Marvel
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon

Sometimes they just go 'WTF? Who won?' when I use the "There is no cow level" code laughing out loud

the cheat codes dont work on multiplayer no expression

That ACDC Chick
Originally posted by Digi
I had no idea the box I was opening by mentioning cheating in the Sims. I built houses. You guys torture. Bastards.

no expression
dont knock it till you try it

SaTsuJiN
lmao thats awesome

is that kind of stuff still possible in the newest sims?... they need to make the intent to torture a lil more official.. it almost reminds me of that game for genesis (the haunting, starring polterguy), where you run around using stuff in the house to scare the family out of each n every house they move into

F6JgkyKLXtk

One Free Man
You may appreciate this. omg roflofL I couldn't stop laughing in sadistic glee lol.

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Tha C-Master
I was certain you can't cheat in multiplayer.
Really? The codes seemed to work on multiplayer in a LAN network. Or maybe I hacked it a bit, can't remember.

Mandrag Ganon

Mandrag Ganon Philosophy # 26: Cheating is for the weak. The strong do not fall to the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune, but take up arms against a sea of troubles, and by opposing them... end them.

But going and checking an FAQ once you have spent a minimum of 3 hours trying to figure out the same puzzle is acceptable...

KingD19
If the game has cheats, I'll usually beat it fair, then go back and cheat just for the hell of it.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by KingD19
If the game has cheats, I'll usually beat it fair, then go back and cheat just for the hell of it.

I'm the same way. It also depends how much time i've put into a game how long the game is able to keep my interest. There have been times that a game became overly frustrating that i was forced to seek out cheats. Other times the game just becomes overly repetitive and i lose all interest. During those times i'll try to find a decent cheat just so i can end the game.

Then there are some games where the gameplay is enhanced by cheat codes. GTA is probably the finest example i can think of for this. I won't even bother playing a GTA game without the weapon and ammo cheats.

Alpha Centauri

Ms.Marvel

KingD19
Most people don't cheat because they're bad at the game AC, they cheat because it's fun.

I've beat GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost & Damned on my own, and on Gay Tony I got 100% for every mission, some of which I had to do 10+ times. Then I went back and used cheats because it's fun to have Luis punching cars and people, and them having them blown across the street because his hits were explosive.

dadudemon
I cheat any chance I get..when I play on my own.

Saints Row 1 and 2..

GTA games

Etc. etc.

However, since the last time I cheated, it's been ages.

Alpha Centauri
Most people don't cheat because they're bad at the game AC, they cheat because it's fun.

I've beat GTA: Ballad of Gay Tony/ Lost & Damned on my own, and on Gay Tony I got 100% for every mission, some of which I had to do 10+ times. Then I went back and used cheats because it's fun to have Luis punching cars and people, and them having them blown across the street because his hits were explosive.

That's not cheating at the game though, that's using a code to have fun after you've done it on your own.

If you used that cheat because you weren't good enough to do it without it? That means you suck at it.

-AC

KingD19
^Games like that are made so you can cheat on them, it increases the fun. Hell, both those series actually gave you cell phones so you could cheat, they wanted you 2, and that made it fun. In SR1-2, I had so many times I just put on the milk bones cheat and watched people fly off the screen. In SR2, I got the ninja outfit, then put on the half gravity code, then went hopping around the city. I especially loved tossing satchel charges on people/vehicles, and seeing how high I could get them to pop up.

KingD19
Originally posted by Alpha Centauri
That's not cheating at the game though, that's using a code to have fun after you've done it on your own.

If you used that cheat because you weren't good enough to do it without it? That means you suck at it.

-AC

I see your point in that regard.

Alpha Centauri
^Games like that are made so you can cheat on them, it increases the fun. Hell, both those series actually gave you cell phones so you could cheat, they wanted you 2, and that made it fun. In SR1-2, I had so many times I just put on the milk bones cheat and watched people fly off the screen. In SR2, I got the ninja outfit, then put on the half gravity code, then went hopping around the city. I especially loved tossing satchel charges on people/vehicles, and seeing how high I could get them to pop up.

That makes absolutely no sense.

Cheating is cheating for a reason.

-AC

KingD19
They put a major amount of codes into the GTA and Saints Row games, presumably so people would have more fun playing them, because neither is impossible to beat without codes. When I was using the cheats I wasn't even on missions, I was just causing random mayhem.

jinXed by JaNx

-AC

sometimes the game just sucks or fails to keep the players interest. There are games that are challenging and even though they are challenging, the gameplay is so addictive and rewarding it inspires you to try harder. Then there are games that are hard due to lazy developing. I've played countless games where the difficulty is suddenly cranked up just to give the game extra length and not because it's meant to challenge you in a rewarding way. Those games, i have no qualms in cheating at but then again, i usually don't play games like that long enough to be bothered to cheat.

KingD19
Like in FF8 when you fight that devil boss in the genie bottle, and that other hidden boss at the end of the game. I damn near broke my system when I fought them. But then I found out about Zell's super move, needless to say I won the fights pretty easily after that.

LLLLLink
Cheating is fun when you have beat the hell out of the game and the only way to squeeze more fun out of it is to cheat and glitch. That's the only way I condone it, however, cheating to win at multiplayer is gay and people who do it should be crucified.

Bardock42

Phanteros
I love causing riots in gta;SA and giving people weapons.

Alpha Centauri
They put a major amount of codes into the GTA and Saints Row games, presumably so people would have more fun playing them, because neither is impossible to beat without codes. When I was using the cheats I wasn't even on missions, I was just causing random mayhem.

Then it's not cheating.

Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Those games, i have no qualms in cheating at but then again, i usually don't play games like that long enough to be bothered to cheat.

Then how is what you said relevant? If a game is so shitty that you need to cheat to avoid game development, why not just avoid the game?

Originally posted by Bardock42
That's just ridiculous. Like you said it is enjoying the game that gets you to buy it. If you can't enjoy the game without cheating, why the hell should you just not play it? There's nothing wrong with cheating, like I said before, you can't really cheat yourself, all you do is change the game in a way to enjoy it more. It ultimately comes don to how much you enjoy the game, including cheating. If to you cheating stops you from enjoying the game, by all means, don't do it, but don't pretend that there's some absolute reason for it and that cheating is just generally bad, it isn't, it comes down to your own preferences.

Well...there is, kinda.

If you're paying for a game, obviously play it however you wish. I just think it defeats the purpose of honing your abilities to be good at a game if all you're gonna do is cheat. Cheats are there specifically to overcome elements of gameplay with excessive elements not intended for the main game mode.

For example, you can't unlock infinite ammo on Resident Evil until you've beat the games. Why? Because fighting for your life and working to conserve ammo is a plot point and something the game creators work hard to instill as a mechanic.

If you could just input a code for a rocket launcher with infinite ammo, and you do so because you suck at it, Resident Evil's entire purpose is defeated and you are most definitely not good at it.

-AC

Q'Anilia
I cheat when it's easy and play fair when it's hard. I don't want to waste a lot of time on something I know I will make, so I cheat past such events.

Bardock42

Well...there is, kinda.

If you're paying for a game, obviously play it however you wish. I just think it defeats the purpose of honing your abilities to be good at a game if all you're gonna do is cheat. Cheats are there specifically to overcome elements of gameplay with excessive elements not intended for the main game mode.

For example, you can't unlock infinite ammo on Resident Evil until you've beat the games. Why? Because fighting for your life and working to conserve ammo is a plot point and something the game creators work hard to instill as a mechanic.

If you could just input a code for a rocket launcher with infinite ammo, and you do so because you suck at it, Resident Evil's entire purpose is defeated and you are most definitely not good at it.

-AC

I agree of course that if you use cheats to beat a game cause you can't otherwise beat it, you are not very good at it. But if you just cheat (yourself) to have more fun playing the game you paid a lot of money for then I see no harm in that.

Superherovandal
I used to cheat all the time when I first started gaming as a kid cuz i sucked...but not so much anymore.. still, it is you decision whether you want to cheat unless you are online or facing someone and doing it...i guess its okay with me.

§P0oONY
I never cheat on games, at least not until I've fully exhausted the game without them. Cheating generally ruins games, either by deconstructing the game's difficulty curve or simply making the game repetative.

GTA is a great example of it ruining the difficulty curve, having every weapon from the start removes a lot of the fun and challenge of early missions. The fun in the GTA games for me is exploring, funding new weapons while playing along to a great storyline... I find limited pleasure in running around shooting people randomly, it gets boring fast.

I have to say that I do sometime abuse save files. Like when pickpocketing on Fallout 3 as an example.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.