GL (Hal), Orion, Silver Surfer, Thor vs Darkseid, Thanos.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

lawest9
Hal-with blue ring addition
Orion-w/astro force gear and mother box.
Surfer-with recent upgrade.
Thor-classic

VS standard versions of both Thanos and Darkseid.

Who wins?

JakeTheBank
Thanos and Darkseid pretty easily.

Blanket
Darkseid dies.

Surfer and Thor can't do anything to Thanos (per comics). I'm led to believe that Orion should put up a fight...
I don't know what the general consensus is on Hal vs Thanos.

JoseMadre
Hal with both rings would be essentially invulnerable, and again by his willpower he just opens an interdimensional rift and sends the opposition to another universe.

lawest9
Team one 5.5

carver9
Darkseid dies but he take a couple with him, Thanos takes out the rest and easily.

quanchi112
I agree that Darkseid does die but Thanos wins.

JakeTheBank
Originally posted by JoseMadre
Hal with both rings would be essentially invulnerable, and again by his willpower he just opens an interdimensional rift and sends the opposition to another universe.

Hal could barely function using both rings because of the static interference they caused with one another.

Enyalus
Originally posted by JoseMadre
by his willpower he just opens an interdimensional rift and sends the opposition to another universe.
Because BFR is such a problem for either Thanos or Darkseid, right?

Team Universal Domination FTW.

Digi
Actually. Pending a smart strategy, I think the team could win. Have Thor occupy Thanos for as long as possible, while they go 3-on-1 vs. DS. Thor's energy soak (and counter attack) has made him a tough out for Thanos even 1-on-1.

Blanket
Originally posted by Digi
Actually. Pending a smart strategy, I think the team could win. Have Thor occupy Thanos for as long as possible, while they go 3-on-1 vs. DS. Thor's energy soak (and counter attack) has made him a tough out for Thanos even 1-on-1. Didn't him and Thing get trucked through when Thanos went on the offensive?

Enyalus
Thor's energy soak (and counter attack) has made him a tough out for Thanos even 1-on-1.
I don't agree. Backed up in two different fights on panel, and against the Thanosi in Celestial Quest in addition to that, Thor isn't a problem for Thanos at all.

Digi
Originally posted by Blanket
Didn't him and Thing get trucked through when Thanos went on the offensive?
Originally posted by Enyalus
I don't agree. Backed up in two different fights on panel, and against the Thanosi in Celestial Quest in addition to that, Thor isn't a problem for Thanos at all.

Thor also once beat Thanos with a bunch of armor-related upgrades. Not Classic Thor, granted. But again, if his job is to buy the team time, he could play defensive and tank Thanos for quite a while, which he has done before, and could do again. No one's saying he beats Thanos.

Blanket
Thor also once beat Thanos with a bunch of armor-related upgrades. Not Classic Thor, granted. But again, if his job is to buy the team time, he could play defensive and tank Thanos for quite a while, which he has done before, and could do again. No one's saying he beats Thanos. He beat a Thanosi when he had the Belt of Strength with Odin Power, and armor. Only after he destroyed Thanos' powerup by going for it specifically.

Enyalus
What Bran said.

quanchi112
Actually. Pending a smart strategy, I think the team could win. Have Thor occupy Thanos for as long as possible, while they go 3-on-1 vs. DS. Thor's energy soak (and counter attack) has made him a tough out for Thanos even 1-on-1. Thanos would easily take down Thor. One of the best showings ever from thor in the blood of thunder with the power gem Thanos took on for the sheer thrill of it.

Thor is a top tier and Thanos can beat him any time he wants. Don't forget he can pure force block him at any moment in time.

Thor also once beat Thanos with a bunch of armor-related upgrades. Not Classic Thor, granted. But again, if his job is to buy the team time, he could play defensive and tank Thanos for quite a while, which he has done before, and could do again. No one's saying he beats Thanos. That was a clone. Thanos later kinda mocked Thor for holding this victory in so high regard and then easily hand waved Thor's hammer toss to the ground.

Digi
He beat a Thanosi when he had the Belt of Strength with Odin Power, and armor. Only after he destroyed Thanos' powerup by going for it specifically.

Hell, was that a Thanosi? I thought it was the real deal. Conceded then, on that feat at least.

I still maintain my point. Thanos' energy blasts are ammo for Thor, which is usually his main attack. And he doesn't have the pimp hand jobber aura against Thor like he does with Surfer. It would take him a while to down Thor. The team could feasibly gang-bang DS before Thor fell.

There's people saying DS dies anyway, so I don't see why my idea is so far-fetched.

Blanket
Hell, was that a Thanosi? I thought it was the real deal. Conceded then, on that feat at least.

I still maintain my point. Thanos' energy blasts are ammo for Thor. And he doesn't have the pimp hand jobber aura against Thor like he does with Surfer. It would take him a while to down Thor. The team could feasibly gang-bang DS before Thor fell. The same clone was foretold to kill Thor had Thor not gotten his powerups btw...

He could go h2h... or semi close and eye blast him to hell. The only way Thor is lasting any amount of time, is if all he does is stand back and absorb... and Thanos stands back and blasts the whole time. erm

I don't see how Surfer jobs tbh. Especially when Thanos' powers are apparently enough to give Surfer all his energy back with the wave of his hand... Kind of hard for Surfer to ever look good against someone so far above him.

Digi
The same clone was foretold to kill Thor had Thor not gotten his powerups btw...

He could go h2h... or semi close and eye blast him to hell. The only way Thor is lasting any amount of time, is if all he does is stand back and absorb... and Thanos stands back and blasts the whole time. erm

I don't see how Surfer jobs tbh. Especially when Thanos' powers are apparently enough to give Surfer all his energy back with the wave of his hand... Kind of hard for Surfer to ever look good against someone so far above him.

Classic Thor could absorb energy even if it wasn't going directly into his hammer, so long as he was holding Mjolnir...it would channel into the hammer. Gotta assume full powersets for that to work, of course, but this is a forum battle. And if he is buying time, he wouldn't necessarily be goaded into a brawl easily.

I know Thanos is on a different level. We're mostly on the same page here. I prefaced my first statement with the necessity of it being a smartly executed plan. Comic-Thor would almost certainly get trucked early in a brawl.

I also don't see Thanos' feats as being so far beyond Surfer that he deserves one-shots at the hands of Thanos. There's a gap, to be sure, however.

celeyhyga17
Team 2 wins handily.

Blanket
Classic Thor could absorb energy even if it wasn't going directly into his hammer, so long as he was holding Mjolnir...it would channel into the hammer. Gotta assume full powersets for that to work, of course, but this is a forum battle. And if he is buying time, he wouldn't necessarily be goaded into a brawl easily.

I know Thanos is on a different level. We're mostly on the same page here. I prefaced my first statement with the necessity of it being a smartly executed plan. Comic-Thor would almost certainly get trucked early in a brawl. But if it was in the area of his hammer (like a big blast that came close to his hammer), and almost 100% of the time he was a decent range away from it. Mind you, he has absorbed at close range a small Odin blast... but that didn't end well for him...

If Thanos decides to come close, Thor would almost certainly forfeit this plan, unless he wants to get smashed in the face.
Also, I see something like this hitting Thor at close range (ignoring his fists as well):
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/EndlessMike9/Thanos/?action=view&current=thanoseyeblaststhorandthing.jpg

EDIT: This strategy also assumes Thanos won't be swatting at the other characters flying at his team mate as well...

Digi
But if it was in the area of his hammer (like a big blast that came close to his hammer), and almost 100% of the time he was a decent range away from it. Mind you, he has absorbed at close range a small Odin blast... but that didn't end well for him...

If Thanos decides to come close, Thor would almost certainly forfeit this plan, unless he wants to get smashed in the face.
Also, I see something like this hitting Thor at close range (ignoring his fists as well):
http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t173/EndlessMike9/Thanos/?action=view&current=thanoseyeblaststhorandthing.jpg

EDIT: This strategy also assumes Thanos won't be swatting at the other characters flying at his team mate as well...

laughing out loud

Well sure, if he loses Mjolnir...

Thanos' output isn't Odin's, though Thor has absorbed a blast from Gungir (sic?) while Odin wielded it....to be beaten a few pages later, obviously, but not from the blast.

Properly written, though, the eyebeams shouldn't hurt Thor, unless he's dumb enough to drop his hammer like that scan. A purely physical confrontation would be Thanos' main option. Not all writers honored the "he can absorb things into Mjolnir via himself" though....but it was documented once and shown as a feat a couple times. I've used it in tourneys to frustrate a couple opponents.

@ your edit: meh, suppose so. Thor does have some long-range offense he could bring to bear. And I do think the 4 could dictate matchups relatively well. Clearly it's not a full-proof plan, but it was always only intended as a possible win, which I maintain that it is. There might even be some who say Surfer/Orion could two-man DS, giving Thor some help on defense.

Blanket
laughing out loud

Well sure, if he loses Mjolnir...

Thanos' output isn't Odin's, though Thor has absorbed a blast from Gungir (sic?) while Odin wielded it....to be beaten a few pages later, obviously, but not from the blast.

Properly written, though, the eyebeams shouldn't hurt Thor, unless he's dumb enough to drop his hammer like that scan. A purely physical confrontation would be Thanos' main option.

@ your edit: meh, suppose so. Thor does have some long-range offense he could bring to bear. And I do think the 4 could dictate matchups relatively well. Clearly it's not a full-proof plan, but it was always only intended as a possible win, which I maintain that it is. Just saying I've never seen him suck a skinny blast out of the area off the top of my head.
srug

I know. It was more or less to show that Thor can get hit at close range even if he's fighting smart... which Thanos should do if all his blasts at long range are being absorbed.

He dropped his hammer because he was blasted. Also, the eyeblasts destroyed his Iron Man version clone, and easily ripped through the Punisher robots (who just one of them could give Surfer a challenge, and give the F4 hell) in recent times.
If Thanos is trying to make a purely physical contest, then he can still use blasts and eyeblasts, as that's the way he fights. It sets up Thor's defeat pretty easily if that happens.
Just for clarification though, I think Thor would hold Thanos off if it was long range, if Thor was fighting entirely out of character. However, this also sets up Thanos getting closer and closer, which, even out of character, he can still get tagged at close range, primarily by eyeblasts if I had to say what would hit him. Also by fists and such, but meh.

I don't know if opening up his defense would be wise, but anything he could pull of in between absorbing and attacking would do nothing on account of shields and Thanos' durability.
I could see Thanos hitting Hal, and Orion with a couple blasts though if Darkseid was right beside him to start, and they attempted to attack DS, and even more so if Thor was turtling at the other end of the battlefield...

Digi
There's a couple pertinent edits to what you linked of mine. No real arguments on your points, but I just think this was a writer who decided to ignore that particular power of Thor's. Forum battles do not, however, so I still say he would be absorbing the eyebeams if he was holding Mjolnir.

Some GL constructs could also plausibly aid with defense, varying upon how Orion/Surfer could do on their own with DS. The plan is not without at least some other options, however limited.

Blanket
There's a couple pertinent edits to what you linked of mine. No real arguments on your points, but I just think this was a writer who decided to ignore that particular power of Thor's. Forum battles do not, however, so I still say he would be absorbing the eyebeams if he was holding Mjolnir.

Some GL constructs could also plausibly aid with defense, varying upon how Orion/Surfer could do on their own with DS. The plan is not without at least some other options, however limited. K.
Not all writers honored the "he can absorb things into Mjolnir via himself" though....but it was documented once and shown as a feat a couple times. I've used it in tourneys to frustrate a couple opponents.
Does this mean he absorbed something hitting his body, and it went into Mjolnir? Seems as though he wouldn't never have to aim his hammer ever...
Still he would need to focus to do it, no?

Plausibly, but remember, this is the same guy who destroyed a Quasar construct that was holding off pretty much all of Earth's heroes. I don't know how well constructs would hold off.

Also, if he absorbs the eyeblasts at close range, then Thanos punches him?

Also, for battle plans, how about this:
Thanos puts a shield around him and Darkseid, and leaves a small opening for Darkseid to spam his OE out of?
Or, everything happens as it is seen in your eyes, but when DS is almost defeated, Thanos puts a shield around him, and heals him?

Enyalus
Or, everything happens as it is seen in your eyes, but when DS is almost defeated, Thanos puts a shield around him, and heals him?
Truth. Thanos healing FTW.

Digi
K.
Does this mean he absorbed something hitting his body, and it went into Mjolnir? Seems as though he wouldn't never have to aim his hammer ever...
Still he would need to focus to do it, no?

They were energy blasts. One was lightning based and the other was just one of those generic large-ass laser looking blasts you see from a lot of characters. I had the scans on my cpu at one point, but it was years ago for a tourney. You'd probably have better luck in the respect thread. It would require focus though, yes, just like Mjolnir doesn't idly absorb blasts normally unless Thor wills it.

Also, for battle plans, how about this:
Thanos puts a shield around him and Darkseid, and leaves a small opening for Darkseid to spam his OE out of?

Well then yeah, that's a win for the duo.

aztec
Darkseid takes the majority by himself and proceeds killing Thanos. smile

quanchi112
Originally posted by aztec
Darkseid takes the majority by himself and proceeds killing Thanos. smile Based on?

aztec
Originally posted by quanchi112
Based on?

FEATS, DUH!! confused

Darkseid posses godlike abilities Thanos wished he had!! He could easily disintegrate him with his Omega Effect. Case close. eek!

quanchi112
Originally posted by aztec
FEATS, DUH!! confused

Darkseid posses godlike abilities Thanos wished he had!! He could easily disintegrate him with his Omega Effect. Case close. eek! Ds failed to beat DD with the omega effect. Supes has resisted it before and I have read writers say Superman can survive it. No one even close to Thanos' level has been beaten by it so I think it's safe to say Thanos tanks it.

-Pr-
Ds failed to beat DD with the omega effect. Supes has resisted it before and I have read writers say Superman can survive it. No one even close to Thanos' level has been beaten by it so I think it's safe to say Thanos tanks it.

those aren't low showings, though.

maybe superman and doomsday are just that durable.

quanchi112
Originally posted by -Pr-
those aren't low showings, though.

maybe superman and doomsday are just that durable. Nowhere near Thanos level imo. I've seen far less rock Superman than the omega effect. Surfer is also very durable and most agree he's right up there with Superman yet Thanos can beat him to death quite easily.

-Pr-
Nowhere near Thanos level imo. I've seen far less rock Superman than the omega effect. Surfer is also very durable and most agree he's right up there with Superman yet Thanos can beat him to death quite easily.

not everyone agrees, though.

plus, norrin sucks in close combat.

quanchi112
not everyone agrees, though.

plus, norrin sucks in close combat. Are you saying both Superman and DD are in Thanos' league in durability?

Norrin is pretty powerful and his blasts make Thanos smile. That's durability. He also tanked Odin blasts which took out Drax and Surfer in one blast. The first blast looked like a 5 mph wind hit Thanos.

-Pr-
Are you saying both Superman and DD are in Thanos' league in durability?

Norrin is pretty powerful and his blasts make Thanos smile. That's durability. He also tanked Odin blasts which took out Drax and Surfer in one blast. The first blast looked like a 5 mph wind hit Thanos.

i don't recall saying one way or another.

i know how powerful norrin is.

he also lost to odin, so i wouldn't bring him up as an example.

quanchi112
i don't recall saying one way or another.

i know how powerful norrin is.

he also lost to odin, so i wouldn't bring him up as an example. He wasn't defeated by Odin but why can't I use him as an example considering the first blast had no effect on him whereas it beat Norrin. That's durability.

dmills
Team 1

amnesia
Why do people assume that the guy that can create life from nothing is below Thanos? Darkseid >> Thanos IMO

-Pr-
He wasn't defeated by Odin but why can't I use him as an example considering the first blast had no effect on him whereas it beat Norrin. That's durability.

he was. its one of the few thanos comics i've read. seemed plain as day to me.

because superman (who isn't even in this thread) and norrin aren't the same.

quanchi112
he was. its one of the few thanos comics i've read. seemed plain as day to me.

because superman (who isn't even in this thread) and norrin aren't the same. So we can't use Thanos easily tanking blasts that easily beat top tiers because iyo after a lengthy battle Thanos lost? It proves Thanos is well above Superman and the rest. i can give examples of far less than Odin beating Supes.

iceman24567
Team 2 stomps

Nihilist
Originally posted by iceman24567
Team 2 stomps

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.