Should feats only be a maximum of five years old

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Daemon Seed
Bear with me, re Canonicity etc. Can we even say Iron MAn is the same character as in the 70's or 80's for instance. The origin is rewritten several times for different wars. Shouldn't the feats for the Iron Man of a different origin automatically be excluded? Same for Superman and all characters really.

inimalist
if you want to get into something like this, you would be better off breaking it down by author rather than era

Daemon Seed
Originally posted by inimalist
if you want to get into something like this, you would be better off breaking it down by author rather than era

I sort of agree, but author might be to far. I mean how can transistor Iron man etc be taken seriously as canon now.

inimalist
I get your point, but using consistency works in that situation as well

Iron Man is hardly portrayed as transistor Iron man more often than not

I think its unnecessary, and really, many characters have stayed at pretty consistent levels over the years. Spidey, Hulk, Batman just off the top of my head

Daemon Seed
I get your point, but using consistency works in that situation as well

Iron Man is hardly portrayed as transistor Iron man more often than not

I think its unnecessary, and really, many characters have stayed at pretty consistent levels over the years. Spidey, Hulk, Batman just off the top of my head

Thing is Iron Man's best feats are from the 70's and 80's, it's the same with loads of characters.

carver9
Some characters have become weaker and some have become stronger due to different wirters along with train of thought with modern writers. I'm pretty sure you will not find a writer these days that believe Hulk could thunder clap a dimension to dust or a writer that would have Thor pulling a big a** snake with a pole.

Its even hard to find planetary level beings these days.

When was the last time a being shedded a Galaxy? Power levels change and I don't even think it should be 5 yrs, it should be within 2 to 3 years.

Sr J-Bieb
This is the worst idea in the history of ideas.
Ever

Q99
Originally posted by Daemon Seed
Bear with me, re Canonicity etc. Can we even say Iron MAn is the same character as in the 70's or 80's for instance. The origin is rewritten several times for different wars. Shouldn't the feats for the Iron Man of a different origin automatically be excluded? Same for Superman and all characters really.

It depends. Sometimes characters don't change a lot through a long history, some do, and it's not rare that early events are still explicitly indicated to take place, if not particularly the same way (Something Lady Shiva has suffered from. She's gotten a lot of minor retcons, but still has in canon beaten the same people she did before those retcons).

5 years is *way* too short a cutoff though. Very few characters have had big shifts during that time other than the explicit on-page ones (like Tony getting a new suit of armor).

Omega Vision
Should threads older than 3 years be considered? Like if you get your argument destroyed and humiliated should we stop calling you on it after the 3 year mark?

Juntai
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Should threads older than 3 years be considered? Like if you get your argument destroyed and humiliated should we stop calling you on it after the 3 year mark? I like when someone pulls up a 5 year old post of me and tries debating with it. lol.

vince_slice
How do you debate characters that don't have many appearances and their last appearance was before five years ago?

Endless Mike
Originally posted by Sr J-Bieb
Ever

This

Daemon Seed
Originally posted by carver9
Some characters have become weaker and some have become stronger due to different wirters along with train of thought with modern writers. I'm pretty sure you will not find a writer these days that believe Hulk could thunder clap a dimension to dust or a writer that would have Thor pulling a big a** snake with a pole.

Its even hard to find planetary level beings these days.

When was the last time a being shedded a Galaxy? Power levels change and I don't even think it should be 5 yrs, it should be within 2 to 3 years.

True enough, take Wolverine, the Wolverine of today is completly different to when he appeared!

Juntai
Originally posted by Q99
It depends. Sometimes characters don't change a lot through a long history, some do, and it's not rare that early events are still explicitly indicated to take place, if not particularly the same way (Something Lady Shiva has suffered from. She's gotten a lot of minor retcons, but still has in canon beaten the same people she did before those retcons).

5 years is *way* too short a cutoff though. Very few characters have had big shifts during that time other than the explicit on-page ones (like Tony getting a new suit of armor). Agreed. I dunno about 5, but I typically laugh when someone pulls out feats that are as old as I am or even older. Hulk is a particular one to me in this regard, shit he did in the 70's and early 80's, he's not even come close to replicating in 30 years since. Same for a lot of characters. They call that the Silver Age and not the Modern Age for a reason, because it's an age gone by.

Daemon Seed
Originally posted by vince_slice
How do you debate characters that don't have many appearances and their last appearance was before five years ago?

With difficulty anyway because they have so few feats.

inimalist
Originally posted by Juntai
Agreed. I dunno about 5, but I typically laugh when someone pulls out feats that are as old as I am or even older. Hulk is a particular one to me in this regard, shit he did in the 70's and early 80's, he's not even come close to replicating in 30 years since. Same for a lot of characters. They call that the Silver Age and not the Modern Age for a reason, because it's an age gone by.

to be fair though, this is covered by consistency of appearances just as well as any cut off point would

Daemon Seed
to be fair though, this is covered by consistency of appearances just as well as any cut off point would

Not really as they are often consistant within a period.

Gecko4lif
Ever
Agreed

Daemon Seed
Ever

Why?

Juntai
Ever I dunno, I recall weekends in my late teens and early twenties, being completely ****ing trashed, and a friend going "HEY MAN, WE SHOULD TOTALLY------"

I won't finish, but I will say that in these days I learned a valuable lesson...

There are no bad ideas, just horribly executed AWESOME ones.

Sr J-Bieb
Originally posted by Daemon Seed
Why? Because you come on here off a 100+ account banned streak, and expect us to limit our comic usage to within five years just because a few characters have changed... in origins?

You erase feats, comparisons, and just general events just because.

There's a reason people specify different versions.

And a bunch of other shit that I didn't try to cover, but it's there, waiting.

quanchi112
No, it it's canon it still counts. I have seen a lot of posters take pot shots at certain characters feats if they are outdated due to further their own personal agenda.

If we took this poster at his word then might as well argue each writer's version of a character since each writer is completely different with regards to what they deem a character capable of.

Daemon Seed
Because you come on here off a 100+ account banned streak, and expect us to limit our comic usage to within five years just because a few characters have changed... in origins?

You erase feats, comparisons, and just general events just because.

There's a reason people specify different versions.

And a bunch of other shit that I didn't try to cover, but it's there, waiting.

You seem to have an issue with me :/ weird.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.