Most Competent Horror Movie Character

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nephthys
Alright ladies and gents, this is where we seperate the bimbo's from the badasses and the genre-savy from the genre-blind. Who do you think is the character in a horror movie who actually isn't a complete moron and doesn't walk right into their own death? Who has actually impressed you in how they handle being in Nightmare territory and why?

Naturally killers are exempt and fanboyism is out (ok maybe a little fanboyism).

Impediment
Jennifer Hills from I Spit On Your Grave.

Kazenji
Herbert west from Re-Animator.

steverules_2
Ash from Evil dead...well more evil dead 2 and Army of Darkness, in Evil dead he was kinda useless, his friend is getting attacked and he just stood there

the ninjak
Originally posted by Impediment
Jennifer Hills from I Spit On Your Grave.
She walked into plenty of crap.
Originally posted by Kazenji
Herbert west from Re-Animator.
He walked into plenty of crap. I don;t even know how he survived the first movie.
Originally posted by steverules_2
Ash from Evil dead...well more evil dead 2 and Army of Darkness, in Evil dead he was kinda useless, his friend is getting attacked and he just stood there
He couldn't even be bothered to remember Klaatu Varata Niktu.Ash loves trouble he's a masochist.

I reckon Tina Shepard from friday the 13th 7. A telekinetic chick who owned Jason.

Kazenji
Originally posted by the ninjak

He walked into plenty of crap. I don;t even know how he survived the first movie.

But still he made it out of that situation at the hospital to work as a medic in a warzone.

celestialdemon
Ripley from Alien.

Esau Cairn
I liked Treat Williams in Deep Rising.

The dude was always just mildly surprised or just plain annoyed every time the creature attacked.

Dr Mystery
Originally posted by the ninjak
I reckon Tina Shepard from friday the 13th 7. A telekinetic chick who owned Jason.

I was thinking of giving her an honourable mention, she's not really in control of her powers or her emotions though.
Another honourable mention to the boxer from Jason Takes Manhattan, still an idiot, but he has a good go. Respect.

I would say Kevin McKidd's character from Dog Soldiers is pretty good, he doesn't lose his cool through more or less the entire movie.

Dr Mystery
Oh, and Ken Foree from Dawn Of The Dead, ignoring the wanting to kill himself near the end then changing his mind part.

RE: Blaxican
Ellen Ripley definitley gets my vote. So does Mac from The Thing. Pretty much any character who ends up being the "I told you so" character is the most competent of any group.

the ninjak
Originally posted by Kazenji
But still he made it out of that situation at the hospital to work as a medic in a warzone.

True dat laughing out loud

Guys a freakin wizard.

Originally posted by Dr Mystery
I was thinking of giving her an honourable mention, she's not really in control of her powers or her emotions though.
Another honourable mention to the boxer from Jason Takes Manhattan, still an idiot, but he has a good go. Respect.

I would say Kevin McKidd's character from Dog Soldiers is pretty good, he doesn't lose his cool through more or less the entire movie.

Yeah he was hardcore. No sense of fear.

Lestov16
Tommy Jarvis and Sam Loomis (Pleasence version)

Kazenji
Reggie Bannister & Mike from Phantasm.

0mega Spawn
The Blob.
nobody even realised it was in town until it killed so many people it grew so big was impossible for it to hide anymore. well except the kids

fightingflyer
Alice form the Resident Evil Series comes to mind

MikeDavis

Impediment
Jaws.

marwash22
I'd have to go with Hannibal Lecter. the Creeper, from Jeepers Creepers was pretty methodical as well.

aanthonyfranks
The Tall Man (Phantasm)

The Tall Man is relentless in his attempt to conquer the world. Although this is a multi-dimension presents itself as properly dressed couple - although incredibly disturbing - a lord, please do not let her looks fool you.

NowYouRemember
Will Smith's character in I AM LEGEND.

He was pretty damn smart through the whole film - the only reason he got tricked by the zombies at one point in the film was because he was suffering from dementia and depression from constantly being alone, and seeing one of the mannequin's from the record shop he frequented moved to another part of the city made him freak out a bit.

As it stands, towards the end of the film, I thought the way he had prepared for the zombies and planted numerous traps for them was impressive, and his death was truly selfless and heroic.

He's worth a mention, and definently alot smarter than most characters in horror films.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.