The Authority VS The Avengers

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

LordofBrooklyn
The Authority- Wildstorm

1. The Doctor
2. Jenny Sparks
3. Apollo
4. Engineer
5. The Midnighter
6. Jack Hawksmoor
7. The High

The Avengers

1. Doctor Strange
2. Starbrand
3. Thor
4. Captain Marvel
5. Black Panther
6. Captain America
7. Wonder Man

AsbestosFlaygon
The Doctor and Jenny Sparks.

riv6672
Havent seen this old chestnut in years.

Avengers.

Golgo13
Authority.

Warlord
Jenny Sparks wasn't as broken as Quantum right?
Avengers might have a chance

Bentley
The Doctor solos.

riv6672
Might?
Haha.

Avengers are on a higher level of power.

dial J for Josh
...Why did I think this was going to be a troll thread where you were going to put an Avengers squad against; Triple H, Stephanie McMahon, Randy Orton, Kane and Seth Rollins.

DarkSaint85
Avengers may be higher level (debatable), but the Authority go for the kill. As in, sure, Strange is more powerful than Jenny....but he'd try restraining her.

She'd fry his brain at the get go.

Warlord
can the Doctor solo?

riv6672
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
but the Authority go for the kill.
Dang it, i wish it hadnt been you.

I called this an old chestnut and i meant it.
At the height of AuthorityMania everyone's go to point was "OMG the Authority are so powerful and are willing to KILL!"

I said it at the turn of the century and i say it now:

So?

85% of the villains any hero faces are powerful and willing to kill.

The Authority's a cool team and all, but no matter how many Avenger clones they anally abuse with construction tools, they arent THE Avengers.

Enzeru
Originally posted by riv6672
The Authority's a cool team and all, but no matter how many Avenger clones they anally abuse with construction tools, they arent THE Avengers.

The many rapes of Mark Millar.

DarkSaint85
Dang it, i wish it hadnt been you.

I called this an old chestnut and i meant it.
At the height of AuthorityMania everyone's go to point was "OMG the Authority are so powerful and are willing to KILL!"

I said it at the turn of the century and i say it now:

So?

85% of the villains any hero faces are powerful and willing to kill.

Heh, true.

But not many are willing to do a brain fry, for example.

Magneto is a good example. Now, he is willing to kill. And has done so, many times recently.

BUT his powers are woozy. He nearly knocked himself out trying to take Avalanche out.

Imagine if he had this mindset in his 'classic' days? If he approached every fight with a LOL EMP to the brainzzzz mindset?

Joker is another. Willing to kill? Sure. Willing to kill Batman? No. He toys with him.

Kingpin? Kills when neccessary. Willing to take a hit out on Peter Parker. Butwhen they fight, he uses fisticuffs. Etc etc.

Their mindsets are not to go for the cheap wins/instakills. Their MO is to draw it out, play with their foes.

Not so the Authority. The Doctor turns hisopponents bones to Chanel #5, for example. Apollo is willing to go straight to the sun and amp himself. Midnighter is content to use doors to BFR opponents. Jack kicks heads off without giving his opponents to talk. Jenny just drops in and fried brains etc etc.

riv6672
I take it back, i'm GLAD it was you; you actually back up your opinion with more than school girl giggles at the Authority's coolness.

Granted, its not changing my mind, but, i'm not out to change yours.
I gave up on that back in the day with this particular Vs.
Just posting my opinions, such as they are.

DarkSaint85
Tee hee, Jack is so macho.

Delta1938
Heh, true.

But not many are willing to do a brain fry, for example.

Magneto is a good example. Now, he is willing to kill. And has done so, many times recently.

BUT his powers are woozy. He nearly knocked himself out trying to take Avalanche out.

Imagine if he had this mindset in his 'classic' days? If he approached every fight with a LOL EMP to the brainzzzz mindset?

Joker is another. Willing to kill? Sure. Willing to kill Batman? No. He toys with him.

Kingpin? Kills when neccessary. Willing to take a hit out on Peter Parker. Butwhen they fight, he uses fisticuffs. Etc etc.

Their mindsets are not to go for the cheap wins/instakills. Their MO is to draw it out, play with their foes.

Not so the Authority. The Doctor turns hisopponents bones to Chanel #5, for example. Apollo is willing to go straight to the sun and amp himself. Midnighter is content to use doors to BFR opponents. Jack kicks heads off without giving his opponents to talk. Jenny just drops in and fried brains etc etc.

That's true, but at the same time, wasn't pretty much everybody they faced No-Names or characters that only lasted those issues they were in? How did they operate against any relevant WildStorm characters?

DarkSaint85
Originally posted by Delta1938
That's true, but at the same time, wasn't pretty much everybody they faced No-Names or characters that only lasted those issues they were in? How did they operate against any relevant WildStorm characters?

IOW, how did they do when faced with opponents Wildstorm actually wanted to keep and couldn't kill willy-nilly?

In a foum fight, we don't care for example if Superman gets torn apart (somewhere, Abhi's signal watch is beeping). So his opponent can fight with full brutality, within character, of course.

riv6672
Then that'd go for the Avengers, as well.
Bad news for the Authority, then.

Also, as to invoking abhi. Seeing him turn this into a Superman thread would be hilarious.

Delta1938
IOW, how did they do when faced with opponents Wildstorm actually wanted to keep and couldn't kill willy-nilly?

In a foum fight, we don't care for example if Superman gets torn apart (somewhere, Abhi's signal watch is beeping). So his opponent can fight with full brutality, within character, of course.

You can say characters WildStorm actually wanted to keep, but that deflects from the fact that the characters Authority killed were random No-Names or characters that lasted a whole 3 issue or so storyline, in general. Meaning, little to nothing to establish power level.

DarkSaint85
Which is why I said in character (I know you said you weren't debating, but just wanted to point that out). Cap in character wouldn't kill a new opponent. Nor would BP, Strange etc. Even Thor, the most 'warrior' of the lot, won't open with Godblasts or whatever.

Which is why I said, power levels go to Avengers (with a caveat on average). But mentality wise...

I just see it as the Authority have been told these are bad guys, and they need to be taken out.

The Avengers have also been told the same.

'Taken out', under the Authority, means extreme measures.

Under the Avengers, means putting them in prison or detaining them until they can learn more etc.

The bell rings, *ding*

The Authority open up with their heavy artillery. That's the point I'm trying to make, I guess. Unless both sides were bloodlusted.

maxivitopowe
He'll most probably try to say that Apollo can solo

Delta1938
Then that'd go for the Avengers, as well.
Bad news for the Authority, then.

I don't think it's exactly the same thing. Avengers would still be fighting in-character, and most if any are the "Let's just kill 'em" type. You saw how divided everybody between two branches were in GALACTIC STORM when there was a damn good reason to kill.....Supreme Intelligence? I forget the name.

DarkSaint85
You can say characters WildStorm actually wanted to keep, but that deflects from the fact that the characters Authority killed were random No-Names or characters that lasted a whole 3 issue or so storyline, in general. Meaning, little to nothing to establish power level.

Well, considering some of their OTHER feats, like the Doctor holding Italy in place as the world continued spinning, or Angie tanking a nuke to the face at point blank range.....

I mean, if you want to focus purely on combat feats, then yes, the Authority will lose if you apply the criteria of 'well, we have no way of telling what durability/speed feats the Giant Man that Apollo killed were, so lets ignore that'.

DarkSaint85
I don't think it's exactly the same thing. Avengers would still be fighting in-character, and most if any are the "Let's just kill 'em" type. You saw how divided everybody between two branches were in GALACTIC STORM when there was a damn good reason to kill.....Supreme Intelligence? I forget the name.

Well we saw how divided they were more recently in Uncanny, when Rogue killed.

Delta1938
Well, considering some of their OTHER feats, like the Doctor holding Italy in place as the world continued spinning, or Angie tanking a nuke to the face at point blank range.....

I mean, if you want to focus purely on combat feats, then yes, the Authority will lose if you apply the criteria of 'well, we have no way of telling what durability/speed feats the Giant Man that Apollo killed were, so lets ignore that'.

I was more talking combat showings because saying they're going for the kill straight-up against No-Names doesn't really prove anything. If you go feats, generally I don't think it'll end well comparing against several of the Avengers. Yeah, some of Authority are on-par with the Avengers, but I don't see their mentality being enough. Also, default battlefield should make Jack pretty weak here. Depending on your interpretation of the battlefield not specified rule.

Well we saw how divided they were more recently in Uncanny, when Rogue killed.

I haven't read recent Marvel stuff in a long time, but I was more referring to how generally Avengers don't kill, in response to Riv's reply to you about a "forum fight." How even when there was a reason arguably justifiable, a lot refused and were pissed at the ones who went to kill.

DarkSaint85
I was more talking combat showings because saying they're going for the kill straight-up against No-Names doesn't really prove anything. If you go feats, generally I don't think it'll end well comparing against several of the Avengers. Yeah, some of Authority are on-par with the Avengers, but I don't see their mentality being enough. Also, default battlefield should make Jack pretty weak here. Depending on your interpretation of the battlefield not specified rule.

I haven't read recent Marvel stuff in a long time, but I was more referring to how generally Avengers don't kill, in response to Riv's reply to you about a "forum fight." How even when there was a reason arguably justifiable, a lot refused and were pissed at the ones who went to kill.

Like I said, powerlevels wise, Avengers would be higher. But so what if Starbrand/Captain Marvel have better feats, if the Doctor is willing to turn their bones into Chanel? Or that Cap/BP have better feats than Midnighter, when he is willing to say 'Door', and kick them into space?

Concerning Jack:

Jack is fighting at optimum. He would not hesitate to kick someone's head off, and with several of the combatants on the field, he could.

Delta1938
Like I said, powerlevels wise, Avengers would be higher. But so what if Starbrand/Captain Marvel have better feats, if the Doctor is willing to turn their bones into Chanel? Or that Cap/BP have better feats than Midnighter, when he is willing to say 'Door', and kick them into space?

Concerning Jack:

Jack is fighting at optimum. He would not hesitate to kick someone's head off, and with several of the combatants on the field, he could.

If the match-up goes like that, but who's to say Strange doesn't counter?

As for Jack, Pr said in another thread that if not specified it's a featureless battlefield(which they apparently removed). That would actually be exactly how Jack's powers would work. I was saying "how you interpret the rule" by "Battles will always take place on an assumed equal playing field," as one may argue Jack should have something of a city to work with. But Jack's powers work quite differently than Speed Force users.

DarkSaint85
If the match-up goes like that, but who's to say Strange doesn't counter?

As for Jack, Pr said in another thread that if not specified it's a featureless battlefield(which they apparently removed). That would actually be exactly how Jack's powers would work. I was saying "how you interpret the rule" by "Battles will always take place on an assumed equal playing field," as one may argue Jack should have something of a city to work with. But Jack's powers work quite differently than Speed Force users.

What would he do? Usual Strange tactic is invoking the Crimson Bands or something, and binding the good Doctor. Which would make no difference whatsoever.

Then we get into What If scenarios. What if Strange did this? Or that? But what if the Doctor countered with this? Or that?

With regards to your second point, Jack wouldn't be wearing Tokyo mech battlesuits - but at the same time, he wouldn't be a weak feeb human with human level stats. He'd still be durable, fast, and strong. And willing to kill. He can still approximate flight, sink through the ground and come up behind them etc.

Delta1938
What would he do? Usual Strange tactic is invoking the Crimson Bands or something, and binding the good Doctor. Which would make no difference whatsoever.

Then we get into What If scenarios. What if Strange did this? Or that? But what if the Doctor countered with this? Or that?

With regards to your second point, Jack wouldn't be wearing Tokyo mech battlesuits - but at the same time, he wouldn't be a weak feeb human with human level stats. He'd still be durable, fast, and strong. And willing to kill. He can still approximate flight, sink through the ground and come up behind them etc.

Oh, I dunno. Two mages fighting until eventually someone KOs Doctor?

And I still think he'd be slightly superhuman, but I do remember it being eventually lethal for Jack not to be in a city, he won't have anything to manipulate, and didn't going through the ground only work in cities?

DarkSaint85
Oh, I dunno. Two mages fighting until eventually someone KOs Doctor?

And I still think he'd be slightly superhuman, but I do remember it being eventually lethal for Jack not to be in a city, he won't have anything to manipulate, and didn't going through the ground only work in cities?

I'm seeing it for all intents and purposes, that there IS a city, a good sized one (so Jack is working at peak efficiency) but its invisible and intangible, lol. So completely featureless battlefield, but a source of power.

Delta1938
I'm seeing it for all intents and purposes, that there IS a city, a good sized one (so Jack is working at peak efficiency) but its invisible and intangible, lol. So completely featureless battlefield, but a source of power.

So cheating by technicality. sneer

DarkSaint85
Lol the alternative is the Authority get dropped into the battlefield....and Jack goes into seizures lol.

Delta1938
Lol the alternative is the Authority get dropped into the battlefield....and Jack goes into seizures lol.

That could give Authority a pity induced forfeit win.

DarkSaint85
That could give Authority a pity induced forfeit win.

Then the Doctor cowers in a corner, Apollo runs out of Sun power, and as long as Cap/BP use aikido and not any aggressive MA, the Midnighter is powerless.

Strange/Thor sends them back in time, to 1999, and Jenny also dies.

Delta1938
Then the Doctor cowers in a corner, Apollo runs out of Sun power, and as long as Cap/BP use aikido and not any aggressive MA, the Midnighter is powerless.

And Thor draws all electricity from Jenny, Angie goes and hides to make a vibrator because she's too frustrated to fight, and The High splatters himself against a force field again somehow.

Then right as the Avengers obtain an apparent victory, they look at how pathetic their opponents are, many of them wet themselves, so they leave and agree to never speak of this cruel win again. Angie comes-out satisfied enough, sees everybody on her team is out but the Avengers are gone, she claims victory.

Authority wins.

DarkSaint85
And Thor draws all electricity from Jenny, Angie goes and hides to make a vibrator because she's too frustrated to fight, and The High splatters himself against a force field again somehow.

Then right as the Avengers obtain an apparent victory, they look at how pathetic their opponents are, many of them wet themselves, so they leave and agree to never speak of this cruel win again. Angie comes-out satisfied enough, sees everybody on her team is out but the Avengers are gone, she claims victory.

Authority wins.

thumb up a fitting end to a LordofBrooklyn thread.

riv6672
I skimmed a lot of this page, but, in character Avengers are VERY successful.
And, they dont have to kill to win, or be blood lusted.
If the Authority were villains half these posts wouldnt exist.

Digi
The Doctor is the OP's most powerful character. However, if Strange can keep him in check the Authority doesn't have another answer for Thor, and a combo of Strange/Thor would likely take down the Doctor. The rest are mostly fodder (not sure about Starbrand...The High or someone else could likely busy SB for a while).

Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
The Doctor and Jenny Sparks.

Why Jenny Sparks? You know she was the high-meta-level electricity manipulator, not the Trans.-level badass, yeah?

Authority wins.

lol, thumb up

Also, though I realize this is a joke, it's not a given that Thor's electricity manipulation would trump Jenny's. In fact, I think this might be one of the only times where the reverse is slightly more likely. But of course we don't know for sure.

Delta1938
Originally posted by Digi
The Doctor is the OP's most powerful character. However, if Strange can keep him in check the Authority doesn't have another answer for Thor, and a combo of Strange/Thor would likely take down the Doctor. The rest are mostly fodder (not sure about Starbrand...The High or someone else could likely busy SB for a while).

lol, thumb up

Also, though I realize this is a joke, it's not a given that Thor's electricity manipulation would trump Jenny's. In fact, I think this might be one of the only times where the reverse is slightly more likely. But of course we don't know for sure.

I actually think Apollo is powerful enough to give Thor a decent fight. Unless by "no answer to Thor" you mean nobody who would likely beat him, then yeah. I know very little about The High. I read his origin, but in regards to what I've seen of his power, all I know is he KOed I think Fuji with by spitting hard on him, and Apollo was compared to him. So maybe he'd give Thor a decent fight too.

Regardless of who would win there, I doubt Thor would actually try it, as he rarely does energy drain. But out of curiosity, what makes you think she might be more powerful than him there? I didn't read her Pre-AUTHORITY, but did read her from AUTHORITY #1 through her death at killing "God" and didn't see anything to think her power over electricity was greater than his.

dial J for Josh
Excuse my ignorance, but is The Authority like an Avengers/Justice league type squad? They sound interesting and powerful because the people in this thread are speaking highly of its members. Also which company are they from?

Delta1938
Originally posted by dial J for Josh
Excuse my ignorance, but is The Authority like an Avengers/Justice league type squad? They sound interesting and powerful because the people in this thread are speaking highly of its members. Also which company are they from?

WildStorm. Not sure if they're around in the New 52 as the Authority, but I know the members(at least some) are in the new continuity.

Golgo13

They're Wildstorm or part of the DC Multiverse.

Golgo13
Also, all of the characters have made an appearance in the DCnU.

Prof. T.C McAbe
The Authority

riv6672
Excuse my ignorance, but is The Authority like an Avengers/Justice league type squad?
They're an interesting team with some MU and DC analogues. Their big gimmick is, they dont have a no kill rule, a fact which many readers attribute god like power to. wink

Golgo13
Yeah, Doctor turns everyone into chickens. ;o)

LordofBrooklyn
thumb up a fitting end to a LordofBrooklyn thread.

WATCH YOUR DAMN MOUTH!

mad

Delta1938
Originally posted by LordofBrooklyn
WATCH YOUR DAMN MOUTH!

mad

Shut-up and dance, court jester. sneer

LordofBrooklyn
Shut-up and dance, court jester. sneer

Pay cloe attention, fool!

I cast Abhi OUT of The House of El with 75% of the board supporting me when I put it to a vote.

YOU ARE FINISHED HERE!

You just don't know when!

DarkSaint85
They're an interesting team with some MU and DC analogues. Their big gimmick is, they dont have a no kill rule, a fact which many readers attribute god like power to. wink

Also, they've killed god stick out tongue

Delta1938
http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/70422/dog-barking-o.gif

You're not getting your treat because you're a bad doggy.

riv6672
Also, they've killed god stick out tongue
There was a Superman crossover? stick out tongue

dial J for Josh
WildStorm. Not sure if they're around in the New 52 as the Authority, but I know the members(at least some) are in the new continuity.

Originally posted by Golgo13
They're Wildstorm or part of the DC Multiverse.

thumb up Thanks a lot guys.

maxivitopowe

Why Jenny Sparks? You know she was the high-meta-level electricity manipulator, not the Trans.-level badass, yeah?

lol, thumb up

Would a being made of electricity have stronger control over it then Jenny?

maxivitopowe
Pay cloe attention, fool!

it's Chloe

Digi
I actually think Apollo is powerful enough to give Thor a decent fight. Unless by "no answer to Thor" you mean nobody who would likely beat him, then yeah. I know very little about The High. I read his origin, but in regards to what I've seen of his power, all I know is he KOed I think Fuji with by spitting hard on him, and Apollo was compared to him. So maybe he'd give Thor a decent fight too.

Regardless of who would win there, I doubt Thor would actually try it, as he rarely does energy drain. But out of curiosity, what makes you think she might be more powerful than him there? I didn't read her Pre-AUTHORITY, but did read her from AUTHORITY #1 through her death at killing "God" and didn't see anything to think her power over electricity was greater than his.

Apollo isn't Thor's match. It's not a OHK or anything, but there's no serious chance Apollo wins.

By all accounts - which are few, given his sporadic appearances - the High is > Apollo but < Thor. He could trade blows with Majestic but doesn't have Majestic's feats.

She's NOT more powerful than Thor. I didn't say that. I said she might have better control over electricity than Thor, which she might. Very speculative either way, though.

Originally posted by maxivitopowe
Would a being made of electricity have stronger control over it then Jenny?

Jenny's control is more fundamental than most. She controls - and is - electricity on something approaching an abstract level. There are limits to its scope. But, for example, I don't think Thor could just absorb her into Mjolnir. And she would wreck the **** out of most other electricity wielders...say, Electro even at his most dangerous.

Wildstorm, a now-defunct subsidiary of DC. They were created by Warren Ellis, and were all kinds of badass. A few of their members got rebooted and absorbed into Stormwatch in the New 52 stuff.

DarkSaint85
She's not just a meta who controls electricity. Or is electricity.

She's the embodiment of the 20th Century. Made by the multi verse as its antibody.

krisblaze
She's not just a meta who controls electricity. Or is electricity.

She's the embodiment of the 20th Century. Made by the multi verse as its antibody.

Yeah, she's ain't siht.

Thor's the weather-god of the 5th century, 6th century, 7th, century, 8th century, all the way to mofugging 60th century or something where Zarrko's boiling in his own jealousy.

Elijah Snow and Sparks' had a purpose, but that did not mean that their control over electricity or snow or whatever was absolute stick out tongue

DarkSaint85
I see you missed my point thumb up

riv6672
I cant say i see your point or his as it comes to the spirit of... God of... Part of things.
Titles are just titles.
As for the electricity argument, well, Thor summons mystical lightning.
But he's way more than that. Among his abilities is control of anti matter and elemental transmutation.
Not to put to fine a point on it but, Thor could conceivably best 5 out of 7 on the Authority team solo...

maxivitopowe
Yeah I was wondering about what their specific control over electricity would be like, cos Thor dispersed Electro into the atmosphere once

Digi
I cant say i see your point or his as it comes to the spirit of... God of... Part of things.
Titles are just titles.
As for the electricity argument, well, Thor summons mystical lightning.
But he's way more than that. Among his abilities is control of anti matter and elemental transmutation.
Not to put to fine a point on it but, Thor could conceivably best 5 out of 7 on the Authority team solo...

Everyone knows Thor's abilities, and in this thread I don't think anyone has placed Jenny in the same league as him, or even close to him. For my own part, my assessment of the fight didn't include Jenny at all, as she'd be a non-factor. My only point about her was more specific. Please at least address the points being made.

Originally posted by maxivitopowe
Yeah I was wondering about what their specific control over electricity would be like, cos Thor dispersed Electro into the atmosphere once

It's technically impossible to say. We're all just speculating if we answer this. But at the very least it would be a more difficult feat to do the same to Jenny. She's a notch above Electro, at least, in this department.

riv6672
Well, excuse me.
Just because you disagree with me doesnt mean i wasnt addressing the point. I was speculating.
I do believe some have put Sparks on or past Thor based on the posts BTW.

Digi
Well, excuse me.
Just because you disagree with me doesnt mean i wasnt addressing the point.

But you weren't. Saying Thor has other abilities and that he's above Jenny, both things I agree with, failed to address any point being made, not just mine. This reply here also presumes I disagree with you, which I don't. I'm not really sure what conversation you're having.

srug

riv6672
Thats your opinion and i'm not going to spend 12 posts going back and forth on it with you.

Avengers win this Vs.
Like i said, Thor himself could beat a large percentage of the team. Add the rest of HIS team, and the Authority wouldnt get a majority, if thats how these fights went, let alone the actual one fight being contested.

Digi
Thats your opinion and i'm not going to spend 12 posts going back and forth on it with you.

Back and forth on what?! I've agreed with your posts. You literally haven't made a post in this thread that I couldn't endorse at least the majority of it. At most, we have small quibbles about a couple matters, or are on opposite sides of unanswerable, speculative distinctions. And maybe not even that.

I'm not trying to start sh*t, this is just lulz-worthy to me because I don't actually know what's going on.

riv6672
Ah okay, its just been that kind of day on the board.
Mia culpa!stick out tongue

Delta1938
Apollo isn't Thor's match. It's not a OHK or anything, but there's no serious chance Apollo wins.

By all accounts - which are few, given his sporadic appearances - the High is > Apollo but < Thor. He could trade blows with Majestic but doesn't have Majestic's feats.

She's NOT more powerful than Thor. I didn't say that. I said she might have better control over electricity than Thor, which she might. Very speculative either way, though.

Jenny's control is more fundamental than most. She controls - and is - electricity on something approaching an abstract level. There are limits to its scope. But, for example, I don't think Thor could just absorb her into Mjolnir. And she would wreck the **** out of most other electricity wielders...say, Electro even at his most dangerous.

errr..... "OHK?" Don't know what you mean by that. But I was referring strictly to physical fight, as Thor NORMALLY(especially in team battles) doesn't get too fancy. From what I had read of Apollo myself(I think the first couple dozen issues or so of AUTHORITY), I pegged him around Thing level in strength. After seeing scans of some feats and fights, I was impressed compared to where I had him before and put him lower-level Top-Tier. I never thought Apollo would beat Thor, but could keep Thor busy a while if he doesn't get fancy, possibly until someone with a better chance like The Doctor(well, really he's the only one with a chance) takes him out. If Thor fights intelligently, Apollo goes down pretty hard(insert "Apollo's gay" joke here).

You misunderstood my question. I know you weren't saying Jenny>Thor overall, but you seem to think she may be superior to him in electrical manipulation, hence why I said "what makes you think she might be more powerful than him there ?" Sorry for the confusion. And I'm genuinely interested, because I only read her in AUTHORITY until her death and didn't see anything to put her on that level. I also just recently got a whole bunch more Wildstorm stuff(back to the first WILD C.A.T.S) and would like to see some feats for her that I haven't already read.

Digi
errr..... "OHK?" Don't know what you mean by that. But I was referring strictly to physical fight, as Thor NORMALLY(especially in team battles) doesn't get too fancy. From what I had read of Apollo myself(I think the first couple dozen issues or so of AUTHORITY), I pegged him around Thing level in strength. After seeing scans of some feats and fights, I was impressed compared to where I had him before and put him lower-level Top-Tier. I never thought Apollo would beat Thor, but could keep Thor busy a while if he doesn't get fancy, possibly until someone with a better chance like The Doctor(well, really he's the only one with a chance) takes him out. If Thor fights intelligently, Apollo goes down pretty hard(insert "Apollo's gay" joke here).

You misunderstood my question. I know you weren't saying Jenny>Thor overall, but you seem to think she may be superior to him in electrical manipulation, hence why I said "what makes you think she might be more powerful than him there ?" Sorry for the confusion. And I'm genuinely interested, because I only read her in AUTHORITY until her death and didn't see anything to put her on that level. I also just recently got a whole bunch more Wildstorm stuff(back to the first WILD C.A.T.S) and would like to see some feats for her that I haven't already read.

Cool cool. There isn't anything definitive to put her above Thor in electrical manipulation. The Authority's occasional status as literal gods in certain areas (like Jenny being the embodiment of the 20th century) is the potential justification. If you dig back through her Stormwatch stuff, there's more to be impressed by, but Thor's best feats will of course trump hers. I think neither could really do much to the other via electrical attacks/absorption/etc. but that Thor could kill her other ways.

OHK means "one hit kill." Basically, it refers to a character that can one-shot another. Apollo is somewhat variable, but almost certainly above Thing in strength (on average). But also just as clearly beneath Thor. So yeah, your assessment of their encounter and Apollo's possible role in the fight is spot-on.

Delta1938
Cool cool. There isn't anything definitive to put her above Thor in electrical manipulation. The Authority's occasional status as literal gods in certain areas (like Jenny being the embodiment of the 20th century) is the potential justification. If you dig back through her Stormwatch stuff, there's more to be impressed by, but Thor's best feats will of course trump hers. I think neither could really do much to the other via electrical attacks/absorption/etc. but that Thor could kill her other ways.

OHK means "one hit kill." Basically, it refers to a character that can one-shot another. Apollo is somewhat variable, but almost certainly above Thing in strength (on average). But also just as clearly beneath Thor. So yeah, your assessment of their encounter and Apollo's possible role in the fight is spot-on.

Ah ok. I'll eventually read her STORMWATCH stuff.. Mostly off-topic, would you recommend I read TEAM ONE stuff first, since I THINK it takes place beforre WILDCATS, or will that cause problems? Or does it not even take place before but just has members from Team One in the "current" time?

I actually did think maybe you mean "one hit kill" after I posted. Bu since the Avengers normally don't kill, and the OP doesn't specify "to the death," I would assume intent to kill would be more on Authority than Avengers(maybe they'd go for the kill if any of their team mates die though). And like I said, my initial ranking of Apollo on Thing's level was solely on the comics I myself have read. The most impressive thing I remember in those was him ripping apart a bridge. Scans of later stuff definitely upped him my mind, but you're right about he can be variable. I'm looking forward to reading more feats and showings for him myself when I get to AUTHORITY in my pile of Wildstorm stuff. And thanks for the props. Reminds me of when I impressed you with my knowledge for someone who admits to not being an expert on them.

krisblaze
Stormwatch is good.

It's like a great beast trying to wrestle free from the chains of the 90s.

riv6672
Ha, nice imagery!

Golgo13
Stormwatch, Authority, Wildcats 3.0. All good. cool

Digi
Originally posted by krisblaze
Stormwatch is good.

It's like a great beast trying to wrestle free from the chains of the 90s.

lol. I dunno about that, but it's Ellis, so it was a good book at least up until the time Authority started.

Originally posted by Golgo13
Stormwatch, Authority, Wildcats 3.0. All good. cool

thumb up

During the same time, Wildstorm was killing it with shorter-run stuff like Planetary and Ex Machina. There was a point in the early 2000's when I would have easily called it the most consistently great company in comics. A shame it folded.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.