Best Survival horror(s) you've played

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Reflassshh
From atari days to current generation, what are some of your favorite survival horror games?

You can make a brief review of it/them if you feel like it.

Smasandian
RE4 and Dead Space.

RE4 because it was absolutely terrifying and intense. Every encounter on the first playthrough was nerve racking and you had to expect crazy shit will happen.

Dead Space for the freaky atmosphere and excellent gameplay mechanics. Also, the scenes where you get chased by the unkillable necromorph was one of the most terrifying experiences I've had.

I would also say Condemned (and sequel) was equally intense as well....and probably some of the best levels in survival horror.

Arachnid1
Silent Hill 2 easily on top for me, when it comes to horror. It may also be tied with Fatal Frame II: Crimson Butterfly. These two are the king and queen.

Third Place would have to be the REmake, I think.

Dead Space also gets an honorable mention, and likely fourth place.

My fifth spot would have to go to Amnesia: The Dark Decent. TBH, it may actually be tied with Dead Space (possibly beat it, I cant really decide).

I think RE4 is more action horror than survival horror, and even horror may not be a good word to describe it. That said, its my all-time favorite video game.

Impediment
Resident Evil still has my vote for number one.

Dead Space is amazing. Easily second.

Reflassshh
Good choices so far guys thumb up

Resident evil is up there in my book, though unlike most fans for me it's REmake/1>>> CV> 3> 2>>> The rest.

Smasandian
It depends on what you describe as survival horror.

I would make the argument that if Dead Space is survival horror then RE4 is as well. Both do roughly the same thing. Even though RE4 had more action, you still had to conserve ammo and survive against pretty tough odds. There was nothing more terrifying than getting chased by the chainsaw dude with just a shotgun to hold him back.

AsbestosFlaygon
The best for me was SH1.

Other favorites are RE4 and Clock Tower 1.

Jmanghan
Clock Tower was one freaky mofo.

Rascaduanok

AsbestosFlaygon
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Clock Tower was one freaky mofo.
It was.
Not only was it scary, it was hard as hell.

I kept dying hundreds of times. Fortunately, there's a snapshot save option on the NES emulator.

Tzeentch
Aliens: Colonial Marines thumb up

Reflassshh
thumb down

jaden101
As much as I liked RE1,2 and 4 as well as Silent Hill I think Alan Wake was my favourite from a plot and setting POV. Really enjoy it every time.

Gotta give Undead Nightmare an honourable mention as well.

Nemesis X
Resident Evil 5

In all seriousness, Resident Evil 2 is the best survival horror I played.

-Pr-
The first three Resident Evil games for me. 1 being the most frightening. From 4 onwards, they just never did it for me, but that's me.

Silent Hill 1 & 2 are up there too.

RE1 or Silent Hill 2. Both are awesome.

quanchi112
Silent Hill 2. Hands down.

Reflassshh
@Pr and Quan thumb up

RE1 and SH1/2/3 are gold.

Smasandian
I total forgot about Alan Wake. That game was awesome and ****ing scary as well.....

I love Remedy made games.

-Pr-
I totally forgot to say what I mean to about Resident Evil 3. While it isn't as much of a horror game as it is an action-horror, that ****ing Nemesis was a ****ing terror the first time I played it (back when it first came out).

Sure there were jump scares, but that constant tension about whether he was going to enter the room you were in, or whether he'd be in the next room, did something that I honestly think makes the game stand apart, if even a little.

Rascaduanok
^ During my first time playing, I recall the initial couple of times I faced him he totally creamed me, so every time he appeared after that I fled, terrified.

Spawningpool
The suffering and the suffering ties that bind was really good

-Pr-
Originally posted by Rascaduanok
^ During my first time playing, I recall the initial couple of times I faced him he totally creamed me, so every time he appeared after that I fled, terrified.

I know what you mean. Then when you'd walk in to a room and he wouldn't be there, you'd give this huge sigh of relief.

Jmanghan
Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill.

Zack Fair
Nemesis was awesome.

Impediment
I've never played Alan Wake, as I don't own an Xbox. I do have a Steam account, though.

IS it very thrilling?

Smasandian
I believe so. There is some pretty intense parts and it's very similar to RE4 in regards to thrilling.

For example, when you are in the dark, bad guys attack you and the only way to defeat them is to shine your flashlight on them and shoot them once they lose their "darkness". They will chase you until you get to area where there is light. This could be like a camp fire or a light bulb. Occasionally, you have to start a generator and it's pretty damn intense when you know you are getting chased by 3-4 guys.

Zack Fair
Alan Wake was cool

Smasandian
Yeah, it was.

It had something about that made it a lot of fun. It had character and it felt like the developers put everything into it. I enjoyed it a lot.

It controlled well, the enemies and the situations were creepy and if you enjoy atmosphere, this game has it by the bucketloads. The story was very interesting as well.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by Smasandian
I believe so. There is some pretty intense parts and it's very similar to RE4 in regards to thrilling.

For example, when you are in the dark, bad guys attack you and the only way to defeat them is to shine your flashlight on them and shoot them once they lose their "darkness". They will chase you until you get to area where there is light. This could be like a camp fire or a light bulb. Occasionally, you have to start a generator and it's pretty damn intense when you know you are getting chased by 3-4 guys. This. I remember limping helplessly away from a whole horde to the lamp post and barely making it in before getting murdered. My heart was in my throat in that game.

Zack Fair
Originally posted by Smasandian
Yeah, it was.

It had something about that made it a lot of fun. It had character and it felt like the developers put everything into it. I enjoyed it a lot.

It controlled well, the enemies and the situations were creepy and if you enjoy atmosphere, this game has it by the bucketloads. The story was very interesting as well. Agreed. I also like the serialized style of gameplay. The tv shows, little details here and there. Man I want more Alan Wake now.

Reflassshh
Cold fear was pretty good.

S_W_LeGenD
- Resident Evil HD Remaster
- Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare
- Resident Evil (Original)
- Outlast
- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3
- Cold Fear

Their are some other great survival horror games as well. But I haven't played them all.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Spawningpool
The suffering

Never did finish the first one on the PS2, Only because my copy of the game freezes up when i get to part of the game with the lighthouse.

Spawningpool
Originally posted by Kazenji
Never did finish the first one on the PS2, Only because my copy of the game freezes up when i get to part of the game with the lighthouse.
Probably one of the hardest parts of the game where you have to fight that security guard made of that poison

Smasandian
Originally posted by Arachnid1
This. I remember limping helplessly away from a whole horde to the lamp post and barely making it in before getting murdered. My heart was in my throat in that game.

Yeah. That was terrifying. It also helps that the forest areas had some perpetual mist/fog hanging around and that the enemies had some great sounding voice work. And the howling sound that accompanied only added more shit to the freakiness.

I also enjoy that it had some pretty cool areas to go around and some set pieces were fantastic.

Zack, yeah, the serialized structure worked really well with the story.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Spawningpool
Probably one of the hardest parts of the game where you have to fight that security guard made of that poison

Be great if i saw that.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.