How powerful is Sidious' lightning?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Sinious
We saw Sidious use it against sithspawns, jedi, weird sorcerers, clone troopers etc. but we never saw him utterly overwhelm a powerful force user with it.

Especially in ROTS, one time he used it was against the strongest jedi up to that point and the other guy was Vaapad Samuel so naturally he wasn't able to stomp them.

It is harder to measure his strength in this area compared to the likes of Darth Vitiate who just uses FLS when encountered by powerful opponents. So combat wise, I'm curious to know how far Sidious could go by using his lightning. Now, it is clear that his lightning is one of the best lightnings in the mythos, possibly the best one but how powerful do you think was it exactly? Which group of force sensitives or powerful individuals could he overwhelm with his lightning only?

Lord Stark
Actually in the ROTJ novel Luke tries to tutaminis it but gets utterly overwhelmed once Sidious got a little bit serious. Also if you scale it off Starkiller its ridiculously powerful.

|King Joker|
Luke even knowing tutaminis is so ****ing ridiculous. And even looking at the scene in the movie it's quite obvious he didn't try to do jack shit. I doubt he even knew what Force lightning was.

ILS
My summary of the power of Sidious's lightning is that it's quite good.

Sinious
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Actually in the ROTJ novel Luke tries to tutaminis it but gets utterly overwhelmed once Sidious got a little bit serious. Also if you scale it off Starkiller its ridiculously powerful.

ROTJ Luke isnt really a good test for Sidious' lightning.

My real question is, who do you think is the strongest individual/group of force users Sidious can defeat with his lightning.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by Sinious
ROTJ Luke isnt really a good test for Sidious' lightning.

My real question is, who do you think is the strongest individual/group of force users Sidious can defeat with his lightning.

Okay, I think knocking the most powerful Jedi in galactic history out cold with a single short burst is enough. He can kill anyone with his lightning imo. Mace almost died himself and he had a lightsaber and Vaapad.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Okay, I think knocking the most powerful Jedi in galactic history out cold with a single short burst is enough. He can kill anyone with his lightning imo. Mace almost died himself and he had a lightsaber and Vaapad.

Also overloading Yoda's Force Absorb too.

But yeah...

Trocity
It was bending Windu's saber back towards him in the book, wasn't it?

ILS
Originally posted by Trocity
It was bending Windu's saber back towards him in the book, wasn't it? Correct

ares834
Powerful enough to overpower Vitiate.

psmith81992
rofl

The_Tempest
U mad, Beefy?

Originally posted by ares834

thumb up

Sinious
This is your only contribution to the thread? erm

The_Tempest
This is your only contribution to the thread? erm

You talking to me or Beefy or both of us?

Sinious
Originally posted by The_Tempest
You talking to me or Beefy or both of us?

I was talking to you and Ares but deep down I care about you the most.

The_Tempest
I was talking to you and Ares but deep down I care about you the most.

Intriguing. Since you claim to not be uber-biased towards Vitiate, why are Ares and I being singled out and not Beefy?

Is it perhaps because Beefy shares a pro-Vitiate worldview?

Sinious
Intriguing. Since you claim to not be uber-biased towards Vitiate, why are Ares and I being singled out and not Beefy?

Is it perhaps because Beefy shares a pro-Vitiate worldview?

Its cause psmith didnt even participate and openly admits that he isnt interested in PT characters. So I don't expect him to contribute which isnt the case with you.

The_Tempest
Its cause psmith didnt even participate and openly admits that he isnt interested in PT characters. So I don't expect him to contribute which isnt the case with you.

Beefy responded, as did I. His response conveyed condescension with Ares' remark whereas mine endorsed it.

You're being pretty selective here, tbh. You sure you're just not a little biased here?

Sinious
Beefy responded, as did I. His response conveyed condescension with Ares' remark whereas mine endorsed it.

You're being pretty selective here, tbh. You sure you're just not a little biased here?

He rolfed at something that was addressed at me ill intentionally. And again, he openly says he doesn't like PT. Why do you compare yourself to him?

We're all biased to a certain degree. But, in our prior talks, we had a consensus on where to place Vitiate so I'm not sure why you think my judgement is clouded when it comes to Viti.

The_Tempest
Hey, I openly loathe SWTOR as much as Beefy openly loathes the PT. So there again... why are poor Ares and I being singled out here?

Sinious
Hey, I openly loathe SWTOR as much as Beefy openly loathes the PT. So there again... why are poor Ares and I being singled out here?

Cause instead of contributing to an argument that is about your favorite character, you chose to bash another character that was mentioned for provocative reasons in the first place. You gotta be more constructive dude, seriously.

The_Tempest
But all Beefy said was "rofl"... that's hardly constructive. Why is that ok?

Sinious
But all Beefy said was "rofl"... that's hardly constructive. Why is that ok?

I never said it was constructive. I said I don't expect anything more from him in this thread unlike you which was a compliment in a way.

Lord Stark
Tempest, leave de poor chil alone he don't know no betta

SIDIOUS 66
We saw Sidious use it against sithspawns, jedi, weird sorcerers, clone troopers etc. but we never saw him utterly overwhelm a powerful force user with it.

Especially in ROTS, one time he used it was against the strongest jedi up to that point and the other guy was Vaapad Samuel so naturally he wasn't able to stomp them.

It is harder to measure his strength in this area compared to the likes of Darth Vitiate who just uses FLS when encountered by powerful opponents. So combat wise, I'm curious to know how far Sidious could go by using his lightning. Now, it is clear that his lightning is one of the best lightnings in the mythos, possibly the best one but how powerful do you think was it exactly? Which group of force sensitives or powerful individuals could he overwhelm with his lightning only?

Sidious's attack on the prophets happened on a nexus. However, if you want to use it, it's far more impressive than anything Vitiate has done, considering it only required a one handed, very short attack for Sidious to reduce them to a pile of charred bones.

Sidious wasn't trying to overpower Windu with lightning, but instead use it in an attempt to win Skywalker over by feigning weakness under it's redirected energy, and despite that fact, Windu was struggling immensely to hold on to his saber. One blast ripped Yoda's saber right out of his hands, so I don't imagine Mace's saber defense would fare any better against a lightning attack from a serious Sidious. In contrast, Vitiate required a 20 second attack plus another charged one to overwhelm the saber defenses of Braga and HoT, both of whom are vastly inferior to Yoda.

Really, without Yoda-level force absorption, Sidious can one shot force users as powerful as Yoda.

Yes, there is a way to measure it, and it happens to be more potent than Vitiate's. lol

Sinious
I'm not sure why you and your buddy try so hard to turn this into a Vitiate vs Sidious thread but whatever. erm

Despite your disturbing mentality, I'll address to your post.

I'm aware of how impressive overwhelming Yoda is and why he wasn't able defeat Windu with his lightning. My point is that Sidious always faced extremely powerful force users like YODA and so we didn't get the pleasure of seeing him stomp force sensitives with his lightning that often. So I was wondering what kind of a strike team you think Sidious can deal with by just using lightning.

For example, had he used his lightning against the b-team, could he take all 3 of them out?

SIDIOUS 66
I'm not sure why you and your buddy try so hard to turn this into a Vitiate vs Sidious thread but whatever. erm

Despite your disturbing mentality, I'll address to your post.

I'm aware of how impressive overwhelming Yoda is and why he wasn't able defeat Windu with his lightning. My point is that Sidious always faced extremely powerful force users like YODA and so we didn't get the pleasure of seeing him stomp force sensitives with his lightning that often. So I was wondering what kind of a strike team you think Sidious can deal with by just using lightning.

For example, had he used his lightning against the b-team, could he take all 3 of them out?

You (in your very first post in this thread): "It is harder to measure his strength in this area compared to the likes of Darth Vitiate"

1) You didn't really address anything. I mean, well you typed, but you know what I mean.

2) You said there was no way of comparing his lightning to that of Vitiate's, and you were wrong, as I just did. Not a direct comparison, but one nonetheless.

3) That depends on how well they can defend against it with their sabers. Usually hinges on strength assuming they successfully channel the directed bolts onto their sabers.

BTW, I'm disturbed because my post about Vitiate made you mad? Or is there another reason you to feel that way?

chilled monkey
Originally posted by |King Joker|
Luke even knowing tutaminis is so ****ing ridiculous. And even looking at the scene in the movie it's quite obvious he didn't try to do jack shit. I doubt he even knew what Force lightning was.

I haven't read the ROTJ novelisation for some time but I do recall the gist of that scene. You're right, Luke didn't know what Force lightning was. It says something to the effect that he was astonished by "such a perversion of the Force" or something like that.

He then realises that "if the bolts are Force-generated then they can be Force-repelled." From what I read, it wasn't so much tutaminis, which is more about absorbing energy, as it was just blocking the bolts, rather like with a Force barrier.

Personally I liked it and wish it was in the movie. Luke being able to use such an ability purely through instinct, even briefly, would have been a great way to show how powerful and skilled he had become.

As to how powerful Palpatine's lightning is, look at Corran Horn. He was an absolute master of tutaminis but I have no doubt he would be completely overwhelmed by Palpatine's lightning.

S_W_LeGenD
Sidious have demonstrated immense proficiency in the use of Sith lightning application. However, Sidious' portrayal in use of this power varies in canon and EU content. Canon content does not seems to project Sith lightning as an application that can swiftly destroy opponents such as Jedi and Sith; such opponents experience great pain from this power and may perish from a prolonged exposure to it.

EU content seems to portray Sidious's lightning in a more lethal fashion. An example is Sidious' action against 3 acolytes; but this showing also have loopholes since this confrontation took place in a setting strong in the dark side and those acolytes have questionable proficiency in the matters of defending themselves from this power and others.

In another confrontation, during DE era, Sidious badly injured some Jedi with his lightning bursts.

Originally posted by ares834
No

Sinious
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
You (in your very first post in this thread): "It is harder to measure his strength in this area compared to the likes of Darth Vitiate"

1) You didn't really address anything. I mean, well you typed, but you know what I mean.

2) You said there was no way of comparing his lightning to that of Vitiate's, and you were wrong, as I just did. Not a direct comparison, but one nonetheless.

3) That depends on how well they can defend against it with their sabers. Usually hinges on strength assuming they successfully channel the directed bolts onto their sabers.

BTW, I'm disturbed because my post about Vitiate made you mad? Or is there another reason you to feel that way?

Ah I honestly didn't get why you kept on referring to Vitiate and thought you were trolling.

Well, I only meant to use Vitiate as an example since he usually faced opponents that are inferior to him by a margin and so he was able to stomp his enemies with just lightning and Sidious faced more challenging opponents so he didnt get to stomp his enemies with lightning that often. So I was asking what force user team or individual do you think Sidious could take out/stomp with just lightning.

psmith81992
This is false. He WAS going all against Windu with the lightning.

And no, he can't one shot just anybody. We have seen him do it from time to time, but that doesn't automatically imply he can do it at will.

Meanwhile, we've seen Vitiate do the exact same thing with his force storms and energy balls. Not very convincing that Sidious' lighting>Vitiate's.

SIDIOUS 66
Ah I honestly didn't get why you kept on referring to Vitiate and thought you were trolling.

Well, I only meant to use Vitiate as an example since he usually faced opponents that are inferior to him by a margin and so he was able to stomp his enemies with just lightning and Sidious faced more challenging opponents so he didnt get to stomp his enemies with lightning that often. So I was asking what force user team or individual do you think Sidious could take out/stomp with just lightning.

That would depend on the team, their defense, and/or how strong their chosen defense would be.

Sinious
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
Sidious have demonstrated immense proficiency in the use of Sith lightning application. However, Sidious' portrayal in use of this power varies in canon and EU content. Canon content does not seems to project Sith lightning as an application that can swiftly destroy opponents such as Jedi and Sith; such opponents experience great pain from this power and may perish from a prolonged exposure to it.

EU content seems to portray Sidious's lightning in a more lethal fashion. An example is Sidious' action against 3 acolytes; but this showing also have loopholes since this confrontation took place in a setting strong in the dark side and those acolytes have questionable proficiency in the matters of defending themselves from this power and others.

In another confrontation, during DE era, Sidious badly injured some Jedi with his lightning bursts.

That is an interesting way of looking at it but like you said EU versions of characters are deadlier and I am talking about that version of Sidious.

I'm also glad that he ashed all those troopers cause I would be really curious to see how his lightning would look like when targeting masses or crowded groups.

SIDIOUS 66
Was "Darth Vitiate" intentional, Sinious? Just curious.

Also, when did Sidious ash troopers?

Sinious
Originally posted by SIDIOUS 66
Was "Darth Vitiate" intentional, Sinious? Just curious.

What do you mean exactly?

Oh yeah, I think he doesn't ash the storm troopers, just kills them.

FreshestSlice
Because Vitiate was never a Darth, as far as we know. Lord Vitiate.

Sinious
Oh well since he got a promotion that made him the Emperor directly and skipped the whole "Darth phase", I assume he earned that title along the way.

FreshestSlice
Nah. And he just called himself emperor and everyone went along with it, iirc.

Sinious
Well his sith name is Vitiate and he was the Dark Lord but yeah I don't remember seeing someone refer to him with the darth title.

carthage
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/124590/4221833-8554120283-33343.jpg

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/scale_super/12/124590/4221837-7156432965-19944.jpg

ChaosTheory123
Just powerscale his lightning off the best TK/Non Force Storm related feat he scales to

Its treated as the stronger expression of offensive force use than most barring Force Destruction/Maelstrom/Storm, yet the feats for it are always so ****ing underwhelming

You can find TK feats in the megatons to gigatons, yet Lightning rarely hits above low gigajoules outside of Bane frying that Drexl while incinerating its other riders IIRC

And Starkiller powering that Turbolaser in FUII.

SIDIOUS 66
@Sinious,

You claim to be a Sidious fan, yet you constantly compare Vitiate to him and try to assert any superiority Vitiate might over him when the opportunity presents itself. So I just find it odd that you referred to Vitiate as "Darth Vitiate," which is something a true fan of his wouldn't do considering he's never been referred to as such. Vitiate is a dark lord just as much as Sidious is the king of his empire, but you'd never see a true fan accidently refer to Sidious as King Palpatine, unless it's intentional for some reason (some kind of misdirection, perhaps).

Sinious, no one cares if Vitiate is your all time favorite. It makes more sense that he is.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.