Pacific Rim 2 delayed

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Q99
Pacific Rim 2 delayed indefinitely, possibly due to friction between Legendary and Universal.

Sigh, looks like the apocalypse is back on!

On the bright side we still have an incoming comic, but a golden-age of Kaiju with 2 US kaiju franchises + Toho Godzilla seems further away.

quanchi112
Oh well.

BruceSkywalker
not a surprise, imo

Mindset
Thanks, Obama.

Bentley
**** **** the ****!

Tzeentch
And nothing of value was lost.

Bentley
Originally posted by Tzeentch
And nothing of value was lost.

After I'm done with you that phrase will be your epitaph ahah

Tzeentch
super13

Kazenji
Originally posted by Q99

Sigh, looks like the apocalypse is back on!

Yeah its still happening

even Guillermo Del Toro confirms it

http://www.scified.com/site/pacificrim2/guillermo-del-toro-on-pacific-rim-2-were-still-on-it

Q99

ShadowFyre
I hope they dont make the kong vs. Goji. Theyre going to have to nerf godzilla so badly the movie would be horrible.

Robtard
Someone needs to make Del Toro a billionaire then, we need him helming a 'At The Mountains of Madness' flick and other H.P. Lovecraft works. We need him doing it right now. Now.

Q99
Originally posted by ShadowFyre
I hope they dont make the kong vs. Goji. Theyre going to have to nerf godzilla so badly the movie would be horrible.

Remember, it's happened before, and they didn't nerf Godzilla, they amped Kong instead.

As there's no way you're going to do a 30-foot big G, doing a several-hundred-foot Kong is the only reasonable alternative.

Mindset
Originally posted by Tzeentch
And nothing of value was lost. But you aren't dead.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Q99
Remember, it's happened before, and they didn't nerf Godzilla, they amped Kong instead.

There were also two different Godzilla vs King Kong movies

American version - Kong wins

Japanese version- Godzilla wins

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Q99
Originally posted by Kazenji

<Puts on 'obsessive Godzilla fan hat'>

King Kong always won in both versions, which were just slight edits, with no changes to the fights.

Toho was planning on making Kong a franchise at the time. They did make one other movie, King Kong Escapes, before canning the idea. They recycled an intended Kong script into a Godzilla script- Godzilla vs the Sea Monster.

Note that KKvG was only the third Godzilla movie, Godzilla had never been a hero by that point, and was more a reoccurring villain- he lost vs Mothra in the next too.

It's not until Godzilla movie 5 - King Ghidorah- that Godzilla starts his win streak.

ShadowFyre
Originally posted by Q99
<Puts on 'obsessive Godzilla fan hat'>

King Kong always won in both versions, which were just slight edits, with no changes to the fights.

Toho was planning on making Kong a franchise at the time. They did make one other movie, King Kong Escapes, before canning the idea. They recycled an intended Kong script into a Godzilla script- Godzilla vs the Sea Monster.

Note that KKvG was only the third Godzilla movie, Godzilla had never been a hero by that point, and was more a reoccurring villain- he lost vs Mothra in the next too.

It's not until Godzilla movie 5 - King Ghidorah- that Godzilla starts his win streak.

This all spot on. Its nice to see some other Gojira fans. Half the people on here dont know crap about him. Kk vs. G was my least favorite of all the movies ( of which I have seen all). Anyway back to Pac Rim. Some loved it, some hated it. I thought it was great for what it was. And I would rather see Gojira stomp some Jaegers and Kaiju than King Kong.

Q99
Originally posted by ShadowFyre

Really, I have never seen a Kaiju movie do the same thing.

The big kaiju brawl flicks with many kaiju, have never been the ones with piloted mecha. The ones with piloted mecha, have only one, and often bland casts. And never have giant mecha vs kaiju been done so well with so much budget- those things had mass.

Made the Bayformers look like flightly insubstantial things.

Flyattractor
PR gets shit canned while actual shit like Prometheus sequel is already getting made.

Life truly SUCKS!

Kazenji
Universal studio's has their priorities right.....erm

Pacific Rim 2 from schedule, fills it with Pitch Perfect 3.

quanchi112
Originally posted by Flyattractor
PR gets shit canned while actual shit like Prometheus sequel is already getting made.

Life truly SUCKS! Prometheus and where it's going is better than a sequel to Pacific Rim.

Kazenji
How do you know its gonna be better...seen actual footage?

quanchi112
How do you know its gonna be better...seen actual footage? To me it's more interesting at this point. I don't know which film is going to be better but I know which film is more interested in seeing. Engineers are more fascinating than anything seen thus far in Pacific Rim.

Q99
Originally posted by quanchi112
To me it's more interesting at this point. I don't know which film is going to be better but I know which film is more interested in seeing. Engineers are more fascinating than anything seen thus far in Pacific Rim.

Wow, that is sooooo very different from my point of view smile

Either the Kaiju or the Jaeger are more interesting to me, let alone both!

What we got of the Engineers was... not too impressive. A let-down compared to expectations.

Patient_Leech
Well obviously I agree with quanch in this case. But I enjoyed Pacific Rim. Saw it 2 or 3 times, actually, not completely by choice mind you, but I didn't exactly protest. However, I've seen Prometheus probably 6 or 8 times. Heady, dark sci-fi is my bag, baby. I see no need to compare apples & oranges, well... in this case a finely cooked 3 course meal & your favorite bubble gum of choice.

stick out tongue

Originally posted by Robtard
Someone needs to make Del Toro a billionaire then, we need him helming a 'At The Mountains of Madness' flick and other H.P. Lovecraft works. We need him doing it right now. Now.
Yes, I agree. I believe Prometheus was at least partially responsible for that not happening. But doesn't seem right. I don't see why we can't have both.

Flyattractor
Prometheus and where it's going is better than a sequel to Pacific Rim.

After the ROFL pile that was the first Prommy movie we should only hope the 2nd one can't be any worse.

Jury
Is it King Kong + Godzilla + Jaeger + Mothra + Ghimora + ... confused

quanchi112
Originally posted by Q99
Wow, that is sooooo very different from my point of view smile

Either the Kaiju or the Jaeger are more interesting to me, let alone both!

What we got of the Engineers was... not too impressive. A let-down compared to expectations. Engineers are way cooler than both.

Kazenji
Looks like Universal is pulling the plug on this sequel

http://www.scified.com/pacificrim2/universal-likely-pulling-the-plug-on-pacific-rim-2

Seriously **** producers these days...

quanchi112
Crimson Peak did look kind of shitty based off the preview. I didn't even see the film. I'd like a sequel to Pacific Rim but I can see why they are worried.

Kazenji
Crimson Peak was actually good, But the way they advertised the movie was done wrong to appear to show it as a scary ghost story movie. When it was a Gothic romance.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
Well obviously I agree with quanch in this case.

It may be tomorrow, next week or maybe 6 months...but there will come a time when you regret making that statement.

Until then...A good day to you, sir!

Q99
Looks like Universal is pulling the plug on this sequel

http://www.scified.com/pacificrim2/universal-likely-pulling-the-plug-on-pacific-rim-2

Seriously **** producers these days...

Booooooo.

On the bright side, the comic is freakin' awesome, but I want my PR 2.

Kazenji
Del Toro should take it to another studio.

Q99
Del Toro should take it to another studio.

I'm not sure if he could since Legendary did the first one... and besides, Legendary is easily the most kaiju happy studio, if they won't do it, no-one will.

quanchi112
After the ROFL pile that was the first Prommy movie we should only hope the 2nd one can't be any worse. It wasn't bad.

Q99
There is a new Pacific Rim ride at Six Flags Vallejo

C'mon Legendary, get the message!

Khazra Reborn
I enjoyed Pac Rim, but I enjoy monster movies. That said, I can say I'm not terribly surprised this isn't getting a sequel, it barely made a profit.

Q99
Originally posted by Khazra Reborn
I enjoyed Pac Rim, but I enjoy monster movies. That said, I can say I'm not terribly surprised this isn't getting a sequel, it barely made a profit.

Profit wise, it's on the cusp/could go either way, but fan-reaction wise it's quite positive.

It's action figures did well enough to get 6 waves (so far, and even doing minor characters like 'baby Otachi'). It's first comic did well enough to get a second comic with some absolutely sick art:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/sierlean/TftD1p2-3.jpg

Themepark wants to do a ride, director and stars all interested even though they have other projects....

Khazra Reborn
Originally posted by Q99
Profit wise, it's on the cusp/could go either way, but fan-reaction wise it's quite positive.

It's action figures did well enough to get 6 waves (so far). It's first comic did well enough to get a second comic with some absolutely sick art:

http://i1288.photobucket.com/albums/b497/sierlean/TftD1p2-3.jpg

Themepark wants to do a ride, director and stars all interested even though they have other projects....

I didn't know they had that much merch, that's usually a big deal for studios. That art is pretty awesome too btw, I'll have to check the PR comics out.

Bentley
I need to get those comics now, still sour about the cancellation erm

Q99
Well, this may make you less sour:

Guillermo Speaks!

"Pac Rim 2 cancelled? Don't believe everything you read. It's still going and I'll remain w it in one way or another!"

I didn't know they had that much merch, that's usually a big deal for studios. That art is pretty awesome too btw, I'll have to check the PR comics out.

That's not even the cover, that's just an interior page and not the only one that awesome.

Issue 3 has our first new Jaeger too.

On the merch front, I will say NECA figures aren't huge business in the same way that Transformers toys are, but still, doing that well certainly doesn't hurt.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Q99
Well, this may make you less sour:

Guillermo Speaks!

"Pac Rim 2 cancelled? Don't believe everything you read. It's still going and I'll remain w it in one way or another!"

Good to hear.

quanchi112
Legendary pictures acquired.

http://screenrant.com/legendary-pictures-china-wanda-group-purchase/

KuRuPT Thanosi

roll eyes (sarcastic)

Can you post a clip of the Godzilla winning Japanese version. The only version I've seen was more of a stalemate. The both fell into the Ocean, but we only see King Kong swimming away. It wasn't really a win though. I'm curious about this other version

quanchi112
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Can you post a clip of the Godzilla winning Japanese version. The only version I've seen was more of a stalemate. The both fell into the Ocean, but we only see King Kong swimming away. It wasn't really a win though. I'm curious about this other version This reminds me of when you used to beg me for comic scans. You can't do anything on your own.

Robtard
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Can you post a clip of the Godzilla winning Japanese version. The only version I've seen was more of a stalemate. The both fell into the Ocean, but we only see King Kong swimming away. It wasn't really a win though. I'm curious about this other version

There' isn't a second version with Godzilla winning, it's a myth that has existed since the 60's.

The American and Japanese versions do differ, but the differences are minimal.

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/godzilla.asp

Q99
There' isn't a second version with Godzilla winning, it's a myth that has existed since the 60's.

Yea. What a lot of people overlook is, this was only the third Godzilla movie, he was still a bad guy.

1st- Godzilla's a terror
2nd- Fights an also-bad monster
3-4- Fights good monsters (King Kong, Mothra)
5- Gets pulled along to fight a bigger threat.

It's only with the arrival of King Ghidorah that he moves to anti-hero, and it's not until 8 or so that he becomes an unambiguous good guy.

Also what a lot of people don't know, is Toho was planning on making a King Kong franchise too, and did make King Kong Escapes, so both monsters were 'theirs.'

Legendary pictures acquired.

http://screenrant.com/legendary-pictures-china-wanda-group-purchase/

Interesting, I hope this is a good sign.

Kazenji
The film is moving along again with Steven S. DeKnight as director

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/02/23/pacific-rim-2-in-motion-with-steven-s-deknight-as-director/

Khazra Reborn
I wonder why Guillermo gave up directing? Any word on what he's up to?

Q99
I wonder why Guillermo gave up directing? Any word on what he's up to?

I don't know of it's he has something else, or the studio saying, "This director can get it done on less budget," or "With this director, we'd give more budget," or what.

But hey, even though I love Guillermo, DeKnight is not bad at all, so I'm overall happy. The apocalypse is uncancelled!

Oh yea, and tangently related, the comic is freakin' awesome. Issue 1 snippets, Issue 2.

Issue 3 introduces a new Jaeger, Victory Alpha.

Khazra Reborn
I hope Guillermo is doing something with Hellboy 3, maybe that's why he stepped down.

I mean it's doubtful, but a guy can dream.

Bentley
Well, I'm taking any Pacific Rim 2 that we can get.

I hope Guillermo is doing something with Hellboy 3, maybe that's why he stepped down.

I mean it's doubtful, but a guy can dream.

Cosigned.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Q99
I don't know of it's he has something else, or the studio saying, "This director can get it done on less budget," or "With this director, we'd give more budget," or what.

But hey, even though I love Guillermo, DeKnight is not bad at all, so I'm overall happy. The apocalypse is uncancelled!.

Maybe Del Toro will be more of a Producer for the sequel.

Q99
Maybe Del Toro will be more of a Producer for the sequel.

DeKnight seems to be really enthusiastic and saying GDT'll be involved, so seems quite possible.

His twitter is full of happy gushing. Like, Travis Beacham tweeted him luck and DeKnight said "There'd be no Pacific Rim without you, my brother. Will honor what you began."

Kazenji
Can we change the thread title now?.......since its not delayed

John Boyega joins as the son of Idris Elba's character

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/john-boyega-takes-the-lead-role-as-idris-elbas-son-in-pacific-rim-2-299

Khazra Reborn
It doesn't say the release date has been altered.

BruceSkywalker
Boyega should be good in the role

quanchi112

http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/godzilla.asp Kt once again being an idiot. Buck toothed loser.

Patient_Leech
I'd rather see del Toro do some more horror. I've enjoyed some of his horror shit recently. After watching the Mimic Director's Cut I have a whole new appreciation for him as a filmmaker. He's badass. I really wish he had finished what he started on the Hobbit films.

Kazenji
They're trying to get Scott Eastwood

http://www.scified.com/news/will-scott-eastwood-join-the-kaiju-war-in-pacific-rim-2

HelloLove
Why are they making PACIFIC RIM 2, was the first one even good? Can't even remember a single scene from that film - kind of a sure sign Guillermo del Toro should move on and do something else - which he has! Someone else is directing!

Kazenji

Surtur
Get started on motherf*cking Hellboy 3 whilst you wait to film this then!!!

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
Get started on motherf*cking Hellboy 3 whilst you wait to film this then!!!

Then give him some of your cash then.

Surtur
Then give him some of your cash then.

You seem confused bro. Movie gets made, movie goes into theater, then I spend cash on it if I want to see it.

I don't give millionaires money just to make something, I give millionaires money for the finished product.

If you're into that though I hear Zach Braff needs all the doe he can get.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Surtur
You seem confused bro. Movie gets made, movie goes into theater, then I spend cash on it if I want to see it..

And i don't think your getting it too

Del Toro wants a certain budget for the third movie, Studio doesn't want to give him it.

Surtur
Man why do you hate hopes, dreams, and wishes?

Kazenji
The sequel's production is headed to Sydney next month

http://www.scified.com/news/pacific-rim-2-production-heading-to-sydney-early-next-month-as-major-casting-wraps-up

Kazenji
This movie & Godzilla 2 will film at Wanda's new Chinese Mega-Studio

http://www.pacificrim2-movie.com/news/pacific-rim-2-godzilla-2-among-first-films-shoot-massive-new-408-acre-mega-studio

Dreampanther
"Pacific Rim 2 has recently revealed most of its casting for the hotly anticipated sequel. The latest addition to the movie to be revealed was announced today by Deadline. Ukrainian actress Ivanna Sakhno was announced in an undisclosed role.

Pacific Rim 2 will be her first major western film role, although she does have a few minor credits in the Ukraine film industry. Although no information about her character has been revealed, the ages of the latest casting may indicate that the Pacific Rim sequel will focus on all new set of cadets."

http://www.pacificrim2-movie.com/news/pacific-rim-2-casts-ivanna-sakhno

Kazenji
Japanese-American actor Mackenyu joins the ever growing cast of Pacific Rim 2

http://www.pacificrim2-movie.com/news/mackenyu-joins-cast-pacific-rim-2

Zack M
Starts shooting. And title revealed.

http://www.slashfilm.com/pacific-rim-2-title/

Kazenji
Set photo's of John Boyega

http://www.pacificrim2-movie.com/news/john-boyega-flees-fallen-jaeger-new-pacific-rim-2-set-photos

Rinko Kikuchi is back, Along with Charlie Day and Burn Gorman and it seems Karl Urban may be part of the cast as well.

http://www.slashfilm.com/rinko-kikuchi-pacific-rim-2/

Patient_Leech
I caught Pacific Rim on the other day at the Cardio Cinema and rather enjoyed it. It reminded me how good it is. The character actors really made it fun. Sadly without Del Toro I am not expecting much from a sequel.

Is Del Toro at least producing?

Kazenji
Del Toro's name is on the producer's list

should be still alright with Steven S. DeKnight directing, He's been doing the Daredevil Netflix show lately.

Flyattractor
I would hope that PR2 makes mad money....so Del can make the 3rd Hellboy Movie....

Hey I can wish can't I?

Patient_Leech
Del Toro's name is on the producer's list

should be still alright with Steven S. DeKnight directing, He's been doing the Daredevil Netflix show lately.

Oh, okay. Well that at least maintains hope.

I would hope that PR2 makes mad money....so Del can make the 3rd Hellboy Movie....

Hey I can wish can't I?

thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.