KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Revenge films

Revenge films
Started by: DarkWizard

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Dusty

Revenge films

Revenge is a great theme for movies. Frankly, I consider it an under used theme.

off the top of my head..

Kill Bill
The Crow
Payback
Lady snowblood
Highlander (Connor seaking revenge for [SPOILER - highlight to read]: Ramirez's Death)

(Son't bash me for not naming some big grin )

Got a Favorite?

Oh, if there is already a topic on this, send me a link. I searched "Revenge" and "Payback", and nothing came up.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 12:35 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

Last House on the Left and Irreversible are both excellent revenge films. Though, Irreversible doesn't deploy the revenge in a traditional manner.

Oldboy is another great one, though it's far more than just a "revenge movie".

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:09 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Punker69

"Enough"

no expression
j/k

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:26 AM
Punker69 is currently offline Click here to Send Punker69 a Private Message Find more posts by Punker69 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ya Krunk'd Floo
Moving with the swell.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by BackFire

I think Oldboy is one of the best revenge movies I've ever seen. Apart from that, Kill Bill is certainly a great revenge movie. Blood Simple by the Coens is also excellent.

Nothing of him that doth fade
But doth suffer a sea-change
Into something rich and strange.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:31 AM
Ya Krunk'd Floo is currently offline Click here to Send Ya Krunk'd Floo a Private Message Find more posts by Ya Krunk'd Floo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Originally posted by BackFire
Irreversible are both excellent revenge films. Though, Irreversible doesn't deploy the revenge in a traditional manner.

Definitely.[SPOILER - highlight to read]: The extinguisher scene is too awesome, in Irreversible, I mean. Oldboy is great, along with Blind Samurai, Kill Bill, Enter the Dragon, and One-Armed Swordsman.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:37 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

"Carrie" comes to mind immediately. "Desperado" is another. Have you actually seen "Lady Snowblood", by the way, Dusty?

I found it at a pawn shop a while back, and fell in love with it. It's an all around awesome movie, especially the score. AnimEgo also produces the Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.

"Enter the Dragon" wasn't really a revenge flick. Bruce Lee joined Han's tournament as a spy. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: His sister killed herself because she didn't want to be taken alive. It was more or less just a backstory.

Last edited by Cory Chaos on Feb 27th, 2006 at 01:42 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:38 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Flavio

kill bill...

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:40 AM
Flavio is currently offline Click here to Send Flavio a Private Message Find more posts by Flavio Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Solo

Originally posted by Cinemaddiction
Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.

Lone Wolf and Cub kicks serious ass, I'm curious what the films are like. I've only read the graphic novels myself. Have you seen them?

"Enter the Dragon" wasn't really a revenge flick. Bruce Lee joined Han's tournament as a spy. [SPOILER - highlight to read]: His sister killed herself because she didn't want to be taken alive. It was more or less just a backstory.

Yeah, I guess.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:44 AM
Solo is currently offline Click here to Send Solo a Private Message Find more posts by Solo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Have you actually seen "Lady Snowblood", by the way, Dusty?

I found it at a pawn shop a while back, and fell in love with it. It's an all around awesome movie, especially the score. AnimEgo also produces the Lone Wolf and Cub DVD's.

On Order.

That's what made me think of this thread in the first place.

I read your review and it sounded great. I just never actually got around to it until now.

Edit: on a side note, What did you fella's think of "The Punisher"?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:46 AM
Dusty is currently offline Click here to Send Dusty a Private Message Find more posts by Dusty Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by Solo
Lone Wolf and Cub kicks serious ass, I'm curious what the films are like. I've only read the graphic novels myself. Have you seen them?

The movie are about as popular, and there are a good many of them. Not Zatiochi like numbers, but around 5 or 6. Suncoast near me is closing their doors soon, I may just nab a few, although there is a giant boxed set available.

Darren Aronofsky was supposed to do a live action film of it, but it apparently never got off the ground.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:46 AM
Cory Chaos is currently offline Click here to Send Cory Chaos a Private Message Find more posts by Cory Chaos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BackFire
Blood. It's nature's lube

It's still listed on IMDB as "announced" and Aronofsky is still listed as teh director. Might be his next film after The Fountain.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 01:59 AM
BackFire is currently offline Click here to Send BackFire a Private Message Find more posts by BackFire Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Callous
Mitsu Racer Honda Hater

Revenge of the Sith

Ballistic: Ecks vs Sever

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 02:14 AM
Darth Callous is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Callous a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Callous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

The Crow is definately my favorite revenge film. It's not about whether or not he gets his revenge, but how.

Also, Darkman has a special place in my heart. The new Punisher and Vulgar are good ones too.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 02:14 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Hazardous

The Crow kicks ass.
Empire Strikes Back...well, not really a revenge film, but the revenge parts of it were excellent.
Kill Bill one was good, there was more hack n slash 'get outta my way' kinda feel to the revenge, KB 2 was just walk up and do it.

Cant think of any off the top of my head...

Last edited by Hazardous on Feb 27th, 2006 at 02:30 AM

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 02:28 AM
Hazardous is currently offline Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dusty

Originally posted by Wolfie
The Crow is definately my favorite revenge film. It's not about whether or not he gets his revenge, but how.

The Crow was definatley awesome. Dark, Gritty, and Just what I wanted. thumb up

Also, Am I the only one who liked 'Payback'?

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:43 AM
Impediment
Endless

Kill Bill, The Punisher, The Crow, Revenge of the Nerds, and The Fog (1979). What's more revengeful than the pissed off ghosts of mariners murdered 100 years ago exacting their revenge on decendants of their town?

“Dreams shape the world."

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 03:44 AM
Impediment is currently offline Click here to Send Impediment a Private Message Find more posts by Impediment Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cory Chaos
AmStar 14 Manager

Originally posted by DarkWizard

Also, Am I the only one who liked 'Payback'?

I tried to watch "Payback" tonight, and I just couldn't. Mel Gibson wasn;t a credible *******, the narration is Nicolas Cage's gimmick, and the rest of the characters were just me. Story has been done before, too.

The tagline; "Get ready to root for the bad guy". Why? He's a thief who stole from other thieves, like a indifferent Robin Hood. I don't care for the guy, much less feel like hoping he he gets his money. That wasn't a revenge flick, anyway. It had a revenge element, but if we're talking about movies that define the genre, it's no "I Spit On Your Grave". Same thing for "The Fog". There are movies that are straight up revenge movies, and those that incorporate the element, and that's all.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 05:18 AM
xeous
The Next.

Speaking of Mel Gibson...Braveheart?

And Braveheart II AKA The Patriot.

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 05:39 AM
xeous is currently offline Click here to Send xeous a Private Message Find more posts by xeous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
lordofwar

Count of Monte Cristo

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 05:46 AM
lordofwar is currently offline Click here to Send lordofwar a Private Message Find more posts by lordofwar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
"I Spit On Your Grave"

i'm glad somebody finally mentioned it...that is revenge at it's finest

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Old Post Feb 27th, 2006 08:53 AM
jaden101 is currently offline Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote