KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » What do you think makes a good sci-fi, or action movie.

What do you think makes a good sci-fi, or action movie.
Started by: kai3345

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
kai3345
Amatuer Filmmaker

What do you think makes a good sci-fi, or action movie.

I am thinking about writing a screenplay and I am going to write one for at least one of these genres. So what do you think makes a good Sci-Fi movie or Action Movie?

sig made by humancandle of www.blaklitestudios.com

Games I'm waiting for in the Wii VC: Mario RPG, Paper Mario, TMNT: Turtles in Time, Kirby Super Star, Kirby's Dream Land 3

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2007 03:01 AM
kai3345 is currently offline Click here to Send kai3345 a Private Message Find more posts by kai3345 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

story, production, directing

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2007 04:45 AM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dave_97
Party Dave

Dolph Lundgren.

Lazers_go_pew_pew_pew

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2007 05:16 AM
Dave_97 is currently offline Click here to Send Dave_97 a Private Message Find more posts by Dave_97 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
exanda kane

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kodak
Dolph Lundgren.

laughing

In my opinion, things that make certain Sci-Fi films stand above the rest are the films that touch upon common issues and themes, playing as a scoail critque or wrapping itself in pretentious, existenialist issues. There are exceptions, such as Star Wars however.

Old Post Aug 22nd, 2007 02:29 PM
exanda kane is currently offline Click here to Send exanda kane a Private Message Find more posts by exanda kane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I like all the stuff the others have said, well I'm iffy about Dolph Lundgren, but I also like to think that what I am seeing could be or could one day be real. The movie "The Prestige" failed in my book because I thought the sci fi elements were hokie.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2007 01:15 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gingercaily

I think a good sci- fi or action movie must contain intelligent, entertaining and very realistic plot so people can easily relate with the story. The movie must create moral questions and issues, and should leave viewers thinking.

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2007 07:09 PM
gingercaily is currently offline Click here to Send gingercaily a Private Message Find more posts by gingercaily Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mairuzu
Old School Cool

Strong good guy... strong bad guy... epic battles....

TGFwashere

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2007 07:51 PM
Mairuzu is currently offline Click here to Send Mairuzu a Private Message Find more posts by Mairuzu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

Re: What do you think makes a good sci-fi, or action movie.

quote: (post)
Originally posted by kai3345
I am thinking about writing a screenplay and I am going to write one for at least one of these genres. So what do you think makes a good Sci-Fi movie or Action Movie?

Well it just depends. Story, the cast. production values. Great action and fight scenes. The budget. If its cheaply made or if its very expensive. Who are some of your influences?

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 23rd, 2007 10:43 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bicnarok
From Ganymede

Things which imo make a good Sci Fi movie.

# Accurate scientifically based story
# Lots of space scenes, planets galaxies etc.
# A dangerous Alien, or Alien species.
# Something novel, newish. Not just some cheap copy of some old movie idea
# A cool hero
# a bad baddy ;Darth Sidious, Alien, Necromongers etc.
# Decent special effects.

An action movie needs..

Action and lots of it.

Who cares about ecting ability "look at Schwarzeneggar"

Old Post Aug 24th, 2007 02:42 PM
Bicnarok is currently offline Click here to Send Bicnarok a Private Message Find more posts by Bicnarok Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Heaven's Sword
"Life is a game"

Ever see 'The Fifth Element'? THAT was an excellent sci-fi...but it had a blend of so many other genres...maybe try that.

Old Post Aug 26th, 2007 02:12 AM
Heaven's Sword is currently offline Click here to Send Heaven's Sword a Private Message Find more posts by Heaven's Sword Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Discos
The Discmeister

^^ agreed smile

Good action movie would have to be good action scenes, take T3 - driving a crane through a town, brilliant.

Good sci-fi, ya have to have a great story to this. Take a long time to think of a storyline which can make the viewer think it could actually happen. Have a twist in the plot. But DONT set it in space or in the future, been done too many times.

"In the year of our Lord 1314, patriots of Scotland, starving and outnumbered, charged the fields at Bannockburn. They fought like warrior poets. They fought like Scotsmen. And won their freedom."

Old Post Aug 26th, 2007 07:59 PM
Discos is currently offline Click here to Send Discos a Private Message Find more posts by Discos Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DoomsdayClock

If it was easy, there wouldn't be so much crap in those genres.

But, in my opinion...

- A good, un-cliched story
- Characters you believe and have empathy for
- Realistic and un-cartoony dialogue
- Well paced action, that is not gratuitous
- A solid climax and ending

Old Post Aug 27th, 2007 09:45 PM
DoomsdayClock is currently offline Click here to Send DoomsdayClock a Private Message Find more posts by DoomsdayClock Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
gingercaily

i think a good action or sci-fi movie for me is
-something which is unique and new to the eyes of viewers
- the impact is so strong to make its viewers enjoy watching, wishing and wanting for more to find out what really happen to the characters in end.
-the characters played their role with feelings and soul so the viewers can absorb it and easily relate with...

Old Post Nov 17th, 2007 06:59 PM
gingercaily is currently offline Click here to Send gingercaily a Private Message Find more posts by gingercaily Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote