KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Movies » Movie Discussion » Fahrenheit 451

Fahrenheit 451
Started by: Kazenji

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Fahrenheit 451

Frank Darabonts new film for 2010

seems like the idea for it is too smart for hollywood

quote:
Darabont Says Fahrenheit 451 Too Smart for Hollywood
Source: ShockTillYouDrop.com June 25, 2009

ShockTillYouDrop.com got a chance to talk to Frank Darabont at the 35th Annual Saturn Awards last night and asked him about the adaptation of Ray Bradbury's Fahrenheit 451, to which he's been attached for a long time:

That's my other great priority, to try and get the greenlight on that and that's been a bit of a struggle. Hollywood doesn't trust smart material. If you show them a really smart script. I actually had a studio head read that script and say: "Wow, that's the best and smartest script that I've read since running this studio but I can't possibly greenlight it." I asked why and he says "How am I going to get 13-year-olds to show up at the theater?" And I said "Well, lets make a good movie and I bet that will take care of itself." But that argument cut absolutely no ice. The movie was basically too smart for this person, too metaphorical, etc., etc. It's a bit of a battle you've got to fight. When you're faced with it, how do you overcome that prejudice?

The book gives a grim look at a fascist future, in which firemen have taken on a new duty of starting fires as well as putting them out, specifically with the task of burning all books, as way of suppressing independent thought and action in the public. The film's story centers around a young fireman, Guy Montag, who finds himself questioning his job, even as he encounters a beautiful young woman, and learns about an underground of rebels who each memorize the entire contents of a book, so that they can preserve it even without the use of paper.

Darabont says he also still wants to adapt Stephen King's "The Long Walk," which you can read more about here.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 05:50 AM
Kazenji is currently offline Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Rhythmic

Don't like the book.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 02:08 PM
Mr. Rhythmic is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Rhythmic a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Rhythmic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MildPossession
Restricted

Account Restricted

Francois Truffaut also made Fahrenheit 451 back in 1966.

As for the new one, I enjoyed the director's last film The Mist a lot, so look forwards to see his version of the book. At least the film has a good director on board. Looks like it's not even greenlit yet, so could be ages before it's out.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2009 03:39 PM
MildPossession is currently offline Click here to Send MildPossession a Private Message Find more posts by MildPossession Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tired-Hiker
El Bastardo

I liked Mist as well, and I loved Fahrenheit 451 when I read it in seventh grade. I always wished someone would make an updated movie version. I especially was fascinated by the robot dogs that attack people. I hope the movie gets made. I do remember the book being very thought provoking, yet slow as far as action goes. Unfortunately Hollywood has trouble getting those type of films into theaters. They'd have to very loosely base the movie on the book, dumb the story down, and add a ton of explosions and fight sequences, maybe aliens, in order to get in on the big screen. It's sad, really.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2009 12:22 AM
Tired-Hiker is currently offline Click here to Send Tired-Hiker a Private Message Find more posts by Tired-Hiker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

i loved the novel...

loved the '66 film

i will see this

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Jun 27th, 2009 03:47 AM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Himaloy
Restricted

Account Restricted

book was not that good i think,lets see whats can be next

Old Post Jun 29th, 2009 02:48 PM
Himaloy is currently offline Click here to Send Himaloy a Private Message Find more posts by Himaloy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sheila143
Restricted

Account Restricted

I loved the Novel,there was something on it,will love the movie too

Old Post Jul 1st, 2009 02:03 PM
sheila143 is currently offline Click here to Send sheila143 a Private Message Find more posts by sheila143 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Wolfie
Keep on howling!

I loved the book, never saw the original movie. I'll look forward to this though.

Old Post Jul 2nd, 2009 06:51 AM
Wolfie is currently offline Click here to Send Wolfie a Private Message Find more posts by Wolfie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote