KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » SW not being Cheese, just loyal to the old 30s serial tradition.

SW not being Cheese, just loyal to the old 30s serial tradition.
Started by: Darth Zhin

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

Sleep SW not being Cheese, just loyal to the old 30s serial tradition.

When you look closely to some scenes of ROTS you realise that these are just wrote with the same kind of scrip-writing that was used for the old sci-fi serials of the Thirties (Flash Gordon, Buck Rogers, etc).

When some people say that this line is to cheese or that Anakin conversion is to fast they forget that this is, after all, a style 30s serial.
the main difference between the original serial and SW are:

1)SW is way to longer.

2)SW cost a lot more money.

The Padme "love" lines in ROTS (an the other movies) are typical of a 30s romance (at least a serial kind of romance). Of course they may sound cheese today, but they represent an old kind of filmmaking.

And for Palpy, well he is a typical serial bad-guy. Ultra Evil and the like, he´s like Ming on crack. And his lines! "NO, NO, NO, YOU WILL DIE!!!" Typical serial baddie.

"That Bussines in Cato Neimodia, Doesn´t count". All of that scene is also typical serial style. Just think about it.

Also check this Lucas interview

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/st...pageregion=blob

made in the 70's in which George says that some of Lukes lines "...are really corny" and that is because "corny" is part of the serial style.

hope it might interest you people.

"That night, when I entered my room, I had the surprise of receiving only one gunshot" - G.Montenegro on surprises

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:22 AM
Click here to Send Darth Zhin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Zhin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

The writing is still cheesy... but yeah, it's intentional.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:25 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

Thanks For Being a the First One To Respond to My First Thread DevilDodo!!!

You Won an One-Way Trip to Mustafar!!!!

Enjoy!

"That night, when I entered my room, I had the surprise of receiving only one gunshot" - G.Montenegro on surprises

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:38 AM
Click here to Send Darth Zhin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Zhin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

If the bad dialogue is intentional, why is there either good dialogue or bad? I believe the elaboration of emotion is intentional, that was the style of the 30's series, but not the bad script.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:41 AM
Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ragesRemorse
If the bad dialogue is intentional, why is there either good dialogue or bad? I believe the elaboration of emotion is intentional, that was the style of the 30's series, but not the bad script.

Well at the begining of SW Lucas was really worried that the bad lines would ruin the movies for the audience.

This lines are Bad today, but were normal in the old serials.

I think he was trying to be faithfull for a kind on cinema tha he liked as a child, even if it had it´s idiotic moments

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:45 AM
jinXed by JaNx

I just dont buy that, because many of the hokey lines come during or after significant momments.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:48 AM
Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Come on... he can't really think that some of the lines he writes are actually good. They're stylised. Surely he knows they sound cheesy... otherwise I think he needs some serious help...

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:49 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

Yes you´re partially right.

He was more carefull in the OT.

Now perhaps Lucas is senile, or rusty, or both.

Really this cheese lines never bothered me that much, I allways have in mind that this is just a thirties serial

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:51 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
Come on... he can't really think that some of the lines he writes are actually good. They're stylised. Surely he knows they sound cheesy... otherwise I think he needs some serious help...

things always look different on paper. If this were true, why is the oringal trilogy not plagued with blatant cheese?

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:52 AM
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

things always look different on paper. If this were true, why is the oringal trilogy not plagued with blatant cheese?

As I said now Lucas is Senile and Rusty.

He doesn´t work propperly anymore wink

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:53 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

heh, that's true. Though I think there is much cheese in the original trilogy... but definitely not as much.

Probably due to the fact that he didn't screenwrite the OT. He's said time and time again that these films don't rely on dialogue. That you could watch them with just the visuals and music...

which is partially true. But if you're gonna have dialogue why not make it good? meh. It doesn't really bother me... I do think that the writing at least on the PT is very stylized.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:55 AM
jinXed by JaNx

Originally posted by Darth Zhin
He doesn´t work propperly anymore wink

now that i'll buy. I'm not trying to make it look like i despise these movies for this. I am just annoyed because many times i was taken completely out of the movie due to feeble dialogue. I still like all the star wars movies.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:55 AM
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

now that i'll buy. I'm not trying to make it look like i despise these movies for this. I am just annoyed because many times i was taken completely out of the movie due to feeble dialogue. I still like all the star wars movies.

Completly undertandable position (which I share completly in TPM!)

and yes, ESB & ROTJ were co-scripted with Kasdan and some other guy

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 03:57 AM
cal31
Let's Win Twins

It is, ignorance just tends to overlook those things. I can think of just as many cheesy lines in the OT as the PT. How about "Two ships against a Star Destroyer?" or "Somehow, I've always known" or "But I was going into Toshi Station to pick up some power converters" How can you honestly say those lines from the OT aren't cheesy, then say lines that are exactly like them from the PT are cheesy. It's yourself who makes them cheesy.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 04:45 AM
Click here to Send cal31 a Private Message Find more posts by cal31 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

Yep, SW was allways meant to be a little cheese.

Justa like those old fun serials! stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 04:53 AM
green dude

SW like Nachos they'r great but need some cheese and it's the old style.
Boys at my school old style all have hair to their elbows not cool stick out tongue

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:26 AM
Click here to Send green dude a Private Message Find more posts by green dude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

A example of OT cheese:

From "A New Hope"

Darth Vader :"... now she´s my only link to find their secret base!!!"

Cheesy Imperial Officer: "She´ll die before she´ll tell you anything!!!!"

"Secret Base"..... C.H.E.E.S.Y. Inc. big grin

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:39 AM
Darth Zhin
Serving the Crown

Originally posted by green dude
SW like Nachos they'r great but need some cheese and it's the old style.
Boys at my school old style all have hair to their elbows not cool stick out tongue

You´re right.

without all that cheese SW will be a lot less fun!!! laughing out loud

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 06:40 AM
jinXed by JaNx

i never said the oringal had no cheese, but it diddnt come at key emotional turning points.

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 11:35 AM
~ J ~
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
The writing is still cheesy... but yeah, it's intentional.

and loved by millions the world over!!!

Old Post Jun 4th, 2005 02:19 PM
Click here to Send ~ J ~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~ J ~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote