KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Star Wars pirating

Star Wars pirating
Started by: Robin Darkside

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (6): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

Star Wars pirating

I dont think theres a real good thread on this, so I want to discuss something thats always running through my mind.

I never really realized that the bootlegs are such an impact on how star wars does in the box office. Over the internet, we all know
it can be easily obtained, espeically through a P2P networking or maybe torrent like stuff. Thats the very obvious. But, I know of so many people who have got it through a copied to DVD (not sure if actually DVD quality, most likely workrpint, but some dont care), but they have it and watched it for the first time and not.

People own copies locally in my small town in Canada, I couldn't imagine how it can be in the states, big cities and all.

I think that this movie is the most pirated film to ever be copied to DVD for people to watch. I know like most people here think, that they missed out watching the movie on a real good screen with great quality (The theatre experience) and are missing out by watching the crappy other version. I agree in that respect.

The ethical perspective I have on the situation, is quite difficult, I dont believe people should watch the movie without at least paying for it first. But , there are many people who watched the movie on the big screen numerous times, and then can watch it at home afterwards.

I ask myself that question, would I have watched the movie more in theatres, if I didn;t have the movie on my computer?

Ok, in that respect, I'm going to say its fine, but how about all the many people who watched it for the first time on these crappy versions?

regardless of the box office, I think Lucas will be satisifed with the income, but the all time best movie doesn't occur because of how much money it produces.
To me anyway, whats the best movie I ever seen? its a question I have answered without having any other influences.

The fate of the galaxy lies with the Empire.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:14 AM
Click here to Send Robin Darkside a Private Message Find more posts by Robin Darkside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

I have seen it 3 times in the theater, and yes I have seen it twice on bootleg. Being able to see it bootleg doesn't stop me from seeing it in theaters, I love the theater experience and the atmosphere. It makes no difference to me.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:18 AM
Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

I think the majority of people who download the movie will have seen it in the theatre as many times as they would if they didn't have the bootleg...

But, yeah, it's wrong to do. Though I wouldn't feel bad about it because I've given Lucas hundreds of dollars over the last ten years, and will continue to give him hundreds upon hundreds of dollars until he stops milking the series for all it's worth...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:21 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Ken Kenobi
I have seen it 3 times in the theater, and yes I have seen it twice on bootleg. Being able to see it bootleg doesn't stop me from seeing it in theaters, I love the theater experience and the atmosphere. It makes no difference to me.

yes I know Ken Kenobi, But I know of many people who have seen it for the first time on those crappy versions, which is kinda dissapointing. The ethics involved are greatly confusing.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:24 AM
Click here to Send Robin Darkside a Private Message Find more posts by Robin Darkside Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by DeVi| D0do
I think the majority of people who download the movie will have seen it in the theatre as many times as they would if they didn't have the bootleg...

But, yeah, it's wrong to do. Though I wouldn't feel bad about it because I've given Lucas hundreds of dollars over the last ten years, and will continue to give him hundreds upon hundreds of dollars until he stops milking the series for all it's worth...

thats kinda the point though, People have been given the movie on DVD, so its not only people downloading the movie. They're handing it out so easily. I wonder if people on this forum experience the same thing, with the basically handling out of this movie, not only comp. But people can get it easy cause its put on DVD.

Lucas wont lose money, thats obvious, but some people do, I wonder how it affects the industry?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:44 AM
DeVi| D0do
The 8th Deadly Sin

Well Box Office numbers have gone down haven't they? At least I know that they have in NZ...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:47 AM
Click here to Send DeVi| D0do a Private Message Find more posts by DeVi| D0do Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
~The Wickerman~
The Evanghelist

bootlegging movies and music has been "said to be" the biggest disaster in the media world, basically because the producing companies of this merchandise (movies and music) don't receive the ammount of money they plan on receiving in order to fill up their budget, pay for the costs of production, and have enough profit to keep making more.

And yeah, i've seen it in the theaters AND at home. The reason is because when i want quality i go to the theaters, and when i need some reference for a discussion, or some screenshots, or something, or when i'm simply not feeling well enough to go to the theater, i'm gonna check my bootleg copy.

HOWEVER.....i don't think it's come out on DVD over here yet, but when it does, i'm gonna buy it...that's the difference between myself and others.

~wickerman~

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:51 AM
Click here to Send ~The Wickerman~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~The Wickerman~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

smile
isn't Ep 1 still ahead of ROTS in Box office?, do you think with more and more people with the internet and comps, are pirating at a faster rate than when EP I came out.
I dont recall myself having a good computer in 1999.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:51 AM
~The Wickerman~
The Evanghelist

Originally posted by Robin Darkside
smile
isn't Ep 1 still ahead of ROTS in Box office?, do you think with more and more people with the internet and comps, are pirating at a faster rate than when EP I came out.
I dont recall myself having a good computer in 1999.

doesn't matter THAT much because Ep. 1 can be copied now via torrents, DC++ and other such stuff. Only the opening box office numbers matter in this case, and WOW....are you sure that Ep I is bigger than ROTS for now? Cause i'm having a hard time believing that.

~wickerman~

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:54 AM
Click here to Send ~The Wickerman~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~The Wickerman~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Wickerman
doesn't matter THAT much because Ep. 1 can be copied now via torrents, DC++ and other such stuff. Only the opening box office numbers matter in this case, and WOW....are you sure that Ep I is bigger than ROTS for now? Cause i'm having a hard time believing that.

~wickerman~

at the time people didn't have computers as fast and better as we do now, more and more people are being more and more online. With people and computers, I think we are expanding at an alarming rate, CPU,s and all that are getting better an an exponential rate, and just like how things go over the internet.

And, I dont think theres a DVD version, but they can sill put a divx, mpeg, avi, onto a burnable disc

I'll look again, but I'm sure that EP I is still ahead

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 06:59 AM
Hazardous

Id prefer to watch it in the cinema, its just so right to watch star wars on big screen in surround sound...but id never watch a bootleg (of rots) without first paying to see it.

the movie gets released on dvd anyway, so i can watch it over and over later on, so having a boot version early makes no differece, since im gonna pay for the real dvd later...

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 07:21 AM
Find more posts by Hazardous Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eleonora

If DVDs weren't so expensive (at least in my country) there would be no need for piracy, which doesn't bother me at all at the moment. I can assure you having the bootleg does not effect plans to go to the cinema so Lucasfilm Ltd. should just sleep soundly. BTW I'm definitely going to buy the DVD so what's the difference?

Last edited by Eleonora on Jun 23rd, 2005 at 07:31 AM

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 07:28 AM
Click here to Send Eleonora a Private Message Find more posts by Eleonora Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kegs202

I think in future movies might come out sooner after there theatre release in order to combat piracy. Piracy is simply a fact of modern life becuase the technology is there and anyone can do it. Sure it is killing the movie and music industry but for years they have had it all there own way with high prices etc. now this is the kick up the ass thats inevitably been coming for years. For instance if ep 3 were to be released on dvd at say 1 august instead of having to wait till november then I think many people would be willing to wait. I for one have a perfect copy with no title counter. You would think this is the real thing.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 08:42 AM
Click here to Send kegs202 a Private Message Find more posts by kegs202 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Robin Darkside
Restricted

Account Restricted

I think people are missing the point here though
If you think that the reason why star wars isn't making the money it should be in theatres and stuff, is because of all the bootlegs...

As I was saying, people I know locally have it on disk and can watch it for the first time on this dumb disk.

maybe its a too hard question to ask, but people who have saw it on this bootleg for the first time, have no will to see it in theatres afterwards.

As I was saying, if this can happen where I come from, I'm very sure copies are out everywhere in he United states.....
When Epiosode I came out, it was another story

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 09:53 AM
Rhindon
Mrs. Ackles

I have seen III in the theaters four times already and will probably see it again tonight. I would have even if I had it on DVD because it is only fully appreciated on the big screen (in my opinion).

Besides, I don't have the knowledge to do all the work that it would take to get in on DVD at this point. I could only do that if someone gave me a copy. Still, I would see it on the big screen as much as I could while it was still there. It's going to suck for me to wait for the DVD after it leaves the theatre. How many months will that be (I think the 6 DVD set will be out in November, but will ROTS be out individually before then)?

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 09:57 AM
Click here to Send Rhindon a Private Message Find more posts by Rhindon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Funkadelic

i have Pirates which are exact copys of the official DVD's
for 1 dollar

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 11:22 AM
Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhindon
Mrs. Ackles

I don't think there are any "official DVDs" yet.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 11:23 AM
Click here to Send Rhindon a Private Message Find more posts by Rhindon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Funkadelic

From other movies

It's an image worth pondering for a moment. Maybe, when you cut past the instrumental and songwriting virtuosity, the funny voices and characters, what is left is a man alone in his recording studio for days at a time.

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 11:26 AM
Click here to Send Funkadelic a Private Message Find more posts by Funkadelic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rhindon
Mrs. Ackles

ohhhh....

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 11:37 AM
~The Wickerman~
The Evanghelist

yeah, i think what Robin's saying isn't that he's concerned with piracy of SW merchandise all in all, but rather the fact that it makes the franchise look bad. If you see the crappy bootleg version first, you might not want to see the movie at the cinema. And yeah, he's right.

~wickerman~

Old Post Jun 23rd, 2005 11:45 AM