KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » Question on Dooku

Question on Dooku
Started by: Darth Jarus

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jarus

Question on Dooku

OK, I have a question that has been bothering me for some time, and I'm hoping someone can provide an answer. What is Dooku's motivation for turning to the Dark Side?

Palpatine/Sidious' first apprentice was Darth Maul. We know little of his background, but he appears to be Sith rage incarnate. His only dialogue reveals his burning desire to reveal himself to the Jedi. When Qui Gon and him are seperated by the laser wall, he stalks like a caged animal while QGJ just meditates.

I think we can assume that Palpatine found Maul at a very young age and trained/brainwashed him in the ways of the Dark Side. His death was unexpected and Palpatine had been juggling apprentices ever since.

Then we have Dooku. A former Jedi who left the order, on good terms it would seem since Windu vouches that he could never be behind the assasination attempts on Padme. I always imagined Palpatine having to scramble for a new apprentice after Maul's death, and he came up/corrupted Dooku. But why?

Dooku's seperatist movement is supposedly opposed to the corruption of the Republic. Yet, Dooku presumable knows Sidious is Palpatine. He tells Obi Won that the Senate is under the control of a Sith lord. In Episode III Viceroy Gunray is still in league with Sidious, even though Dooku says that Gunray came to him for help.

But Dooku is the one who hired Jango Fett. And presumably he was the one who ordered the clone army under the name of another Jedi who was dead long before the order was placed. Dooku, being a Jedi himself, also could have erased the files with the planet's location on it. His entire job in Episode II was to start a war. He reports to Palpatine that "the war has begun."

So basically, everything Dooku says is bunk. But then why does he lament QGJ not being there to help him? He seems sincere in that moment. He even tries to recruit Obi Won. He later offers to spare the surviving Jedi if they surrender. He has no reason to spare them. Jedi are far too powerful to keep as prisoners to hold as hostages. He had just seen a handful of Jedi fight against incredible odds. Being a Jedi himself, Dooku surely wouldn't think he could hold Jedi as prisoners for long. And why does Dooku seem surprised when the Republic comes up with the clone army?

Any ideas/theories on why Dooku turned to the Dark Side? And what his true intentions where? Anakin turned to save Padme. What was the prize for Dooku?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 06:51 AM
Click here to Send Darth Jarus a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jarus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chilled monkey

Dooku felt that the Jedi were betraying their own principles by serving a corrupt government. His grief over Qui-Gonn's death was also a big factor. He felt that if the Jedi had been more true to their ideals, Qui-Gonn would probably still be alive.

Plus, like Anakin, there was ego and ambition. Dooku wanted to be the best and he felt that the Dark Side would help him achieve this.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 09:06 AM
Click here to Send chilled monkey a Private Message Find more posts by chilled monkey Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stalker 360
Henshi a-go-go, baby!

Count Dooku (102–19 BBY) (also known as Darth Tyranus) is a fictional character from the Star Wars universe. Dooku is an esteemed Jedi Master who is tempted by the power of the dark side, and thus, he becomes the apprentice to Darth Sidious, Dark Lord of the Sith.

Dooku's seduction to the dark side by Darth Sidious is a relatively simple one. Dooku is frustrated at the bureaucracy of the Senate and the unwillingness of the Jedi Council to step in during certain events and situations that might have been beneficial to those who are in torment and the like. Further adding fuel to the fire is the death of his former Padawan, Qui-Gon Jinn. Dooku believes that the Jedi caused his death.

His Sith name is Darth Tyranus, a name obviously derived from "tyrant," particularly more at "tyrannous." It is also possible that the name Dooku is derived from the Japanese word "doku," which means poison.

Current Pokemon:5

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 12:15 PM
Click here to Send Stalker 360 a Private Message Find more posts by Stalker 360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gryn Jabar
Restricted

Account Restricted

Gee, thanks, that really cleared everything up, remind me to call up Wikipedia to thank them.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 01:57 PM
Click here to Send Gryn Jabar a Private Message Find more posts by Gryn Jabar Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stalker 360
Henshi a-go-go, baby!

what do umean by that

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 03:50 PM
Click here to Send Stalker 360 a Private Message Find more posts by Stalker 360 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Thornbane
Darth Thornbane

I think he means that cut-n-pasted from Wik (or they cut-n-pasted from your source.)

It is the exact same text... smile

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 09:29 PM
Click here to Send Thornbane a Private Message Find more posts by Thornbane Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Stalker 360
Henshi a-go-go, baby!

yeah i no thatbut i thought he was tryin to say it was wrong

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 09:37 PM
Darth Travizzle
Step Off

I don't feel like reading that whole thing.

Every feel like being evil?

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 10:56 PM
Click here to Send Darth Travizzle a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Travizzle Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Red Superfly
You creepy little stalker

Dooku = bad.

That's about it.

Old Post Jun 26th, 2005 11:54 PM
Click here to Send Red Superfly a Private Message Find more posts by Red Superfly Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Valar Melkor

Dooku was always a strongly independent spirit. Yoda understood he was not happy with the way the government was. The corruption unnerved him and because the Jedi continued to serve, he left the order in rebellion. HOw coud the Jedi continue to serve a corrupt government?

Besides, it is rumoured that Dooku investigated the Sith Holicrons in the Jedi archives. He was already tampering with dark power before he left hte order. He was always interested in power. Sidious' conversion would have been very easy. Manipulating him wouldnot haev been a problem. Sidious would play on the bureacracy of the government. Dooku would love it. Hence his conversion.

'Here are the minions of Mordor...My deadly servants filled with my dark will..Though they may not all reside within the borders of my land, my hand reaches far and in the end they all do my bidding'. Dark Lord Sauron
'They may not even be aware of the dark will that drives them or the influence of the enemy that I too serve...the ancient of evil of which even I... the Great Sauron am but a servant'.
Sauron the Great acknowledges his master, The Dark Lord Valar Melkor

Old Post Jul 4th, 2005 06:55 AM
Click here to Send Valar Melkor a Private Message Find more posts by Valar Melkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SithHappens

If he thought they were serving a corrupt gov. why did he serve the leader that corrupted it. It doesn't make any sense.

There is no death; there is the Force.

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 12:12 PM
Click here to Send SithHappens a Private Message Find more posts by SithHappens Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Canadadude

you guys have to understand that Sith are always out to get each other. When they have the opportunity they will stab each other in the back. Dooku went with the flow in serving Sidious so that he can gain power and run the galaxy his own way. That is why he tried to get Obi Wan to join him. So that he can turn Obi Wan to the dark side and they can both take out Sidious.
Just watch The Empire Strikes Back again. Darth Vader did the same thing by getting Luke to join him and kill Sidious.
This is so unclear is the fact George Lucas's script for Episode II was so poor, that it made a lot of things unclear to the fans

Old Post Jul 21st, 2005 02:26 PM
Click here to Send Canadadude a Private Message Find more posts by Canadadude Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Red Superfly
Dooku = bad.

That's about it.

You = bad.

That's not it, but i wont elaborate.

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 07:10 AM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

That's uncalled for, Sorgo. *thwaps over the head* Don't be a dick!

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 07:18 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Captain REX
That's uncalled for, Sorgo. *thwaps over the head* Don't be a dick!

Damnit, stop thwapin' me!

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Jul 30th, 2005 04:59 PM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

Read LOE.. it explains it pretty well

Old Post Aug 9th, 2005 07:07 AM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Yup.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2005 02:35 AM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FistoFan
Jedi Council Member

Dooku blamed the Jedi Order for Qui-Gon's death. Qui-Gon was his padawan.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 07:13 PM
Click here to Send FistoFan a Private Message Find more posts by FistoFan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

Actually, Dark Rendezvous is excellent too for Dooku insight.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 09:13 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
kimmeh
vixen

Originally posted by FistoFan
Dooku blamed the Jedi Order for Qui-Gon's death. Qui-Gon was his padawan.

WTF?? messed

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 09:39 PM
Click here to Send kimmeh a Private Message Find more posts by kimmeh Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote