KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Episode I, II & III » About Anakin

About Anakin
Started by: Quinlan_Vos

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
-kV-
[:::::{============)

Question About Anakin

After Anakin pledges himself to Palpatine, does he become purely evil?

Palpatine orders Anakin to go launch an attack on the Jedi Temple and kill everyone there, doesn't Anakin have any resentment to that? He's been ordered to slaughter friends he knew for years!

I mean, 5 minutes ago he treated fellow Jedi as brothers and then and hour minutes later he treats them as mortal enemies. How can he kill the Younglings, does he become heartless right after he pledges himself to the Sith? After all, he only did it for love.

My second question, isn't love supposed to be a major concept in Star Wars, so why is it due to love that Anakin turned to the dark side? I mean, Luke loved his father, that's why he turned him back to the light.

I don't get it.

BlackZero30x created this a-'Maize'-ing signature! =)

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 02:35 PM
Click here to Send -kV- a Private Message Find more posts by -kV- Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Who does....

I still think that the turn itself is rather odd.... I don't buy it. One moment he's about to turn Palpy in, the next het cuts off Windu's arms and is off to slaughter kids.... That boy really has a screw loose somewhere.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 02:37 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
aj_vader

Throughout Revenge Of The Sith Anakin is seeing in his dreams that Padme is going to die, In the same way he saw his Mother in his dreams.

Its clear that Anakin loves Padme very much. But when Anakin sits in the Temple ans thinks about it he must realise that If the Jedi destroy Palpatine, then Padme will die. Also Anakin has had his trust shaken by the Jedi, but Palpatine is a very close friend and mentor to Anakin. Which is the main reason he served Palpatine and swore his allegiance to him.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 03:23 PM
Click here to Send aj_vader a Private Message Find more posts by aj_vader Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Krieger

The PT has a stupid way of telling things, blame Lucas

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 04:52 PM
Click here to Send Mr Krieger a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Krieger Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Both trilogies have stupid ways of telling things...blame Lucas.

| Sigs | My Artwork | Sig Duel Record 24:4 | Alliance Respect Thread |

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 05:35 PM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

THe ones in the OT are better hidden. stick out tongue

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 06:20 PM
Click here to Send queeq a Private Message Find more posts by queeq Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
sithsaber408
Intelligently Designed

quote: (post)
Originally posted by aj_vader
Throughout Revenge Of The Sith Anakin is seeing in his dreams that Padme is going to die, In the same way he saw his Mother in his dreams.

Its clear that Anakin loves Padme very much. But when Anakin sits in the Temple ans thinks about it he must realise that If the Jedi destroy Palpatine, then Padme will die. Also Anakin has had his trust shaken by the Jedi, but Palpatine is a very close friend and mentor to Anakin. Which is the main reason he served Palpatine and swore his allegiance to him.

Agreed.

Thats why you have the little tear, when him and Padme are "looking" at each other across the distance.

He knows that he's gonna have to save Palps, and that means (at the very least) standing against the Jedi.

Probably killing a few, if not all.

He hopes to have Palps captured and put on trial to pump him for info. (this is confirmed by Lucas in the dvd commentary), but as the fight progresses, it's obvious that this isn't going to be possible.

Even when he cuts off Mace's hand, he isn't trying to kill Mace, just trying to prevent Palps death.

After palps blasts him out the window, he realizes that he's now joined at the hip with him, and has to help implement his plans.

No other choice really, except to kill palps and lose padme.

That's the logic of it anyway and the dvd commentary helps a bit, it just wasn't made completly clear on-screen, so his turn seems rather quick.

It's why he cries later on Mustafar too, because although he's consumed with anger and feels put out by the Jedi, he really didn't want to go against them and kill all the kids.

He just let himself get screwed into that situation.

www.impactchurch.info

Last edited by sithsaber408 on Aug 28th, 2006 at 08:20 PM

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 08:14 PM
Click here to Send sithsaber408 a Private Message Find more posts by sithsaber408 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Blue_Hefner

Re: About Anakin

Originally posted by Quinlan_Vos
After Anakin pledges himself to Palpatine, does he become purely evil?

Palpatine orders Anakin to go launch an attack on the Jedi Temple and kill everyone there, doesn't Anakin have any resentment to that? He's been ordered to slaughter friends he knew for years!

I mean, 5 minutes ago he treated fellow Jedi as brothers and then and hour minutes later he treats them as mortal enemies. How can he kill the Younglings, does he become heartless right after he pledges himself to the Sith? After all, he only did it for love.

My second question, isn't love supposed to be a major concept in Star Wars, so why is it due to love that Anakin turned to the dark side? I mean, Luke loved his father, that's why he turned him back to the light.

I don't get it.

No or Padme and Luke wouldn't have sense good in him.

The only friends Anakin really had were Oafy Wan and Palpatine.

He really did not like them, especially Mace Windu. Read the ROTS book.

Just shows the crazy things love makes you do.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 09:45 PM
Click here to Send Blue_Hefner a Private Message Find more posts by Blue_Hefner Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

I know all that cerebrally... but it's just not there when you see it. And that is why I don't buy it.

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 10:00 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

Originally posted by queeq
Who does....

I still think that the turn itself is rather odd.... I don't buy it. One moment he's about to turn Palpy in, the next het cuts off Windu's arms and is off to slaughter kids.... That boy really has a screw loose somewhere.

read the book babe, it's done much better in there and takes longer yes

Old Post Aug 28th, 2006 11:45 PM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Lucien
Lets all love Lain

The PT books tell a better story than the PT movies.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2006 01:10 AM
Click here to Send Lord Lucien a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Lucien Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

Naah, the PT and the OT books ALL stink. They're not books, they're 'novelizations." Ugh, what a horrendous word.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2006 04:34 AM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
queeq
Chaos

Originally posted by Jedi Priestess

I know, babe.... but only the movie really counts.

Old Post Aug 29th, 2006 04:56 PM
~JP~
yeah baby

Unfortunately so, because the ROTS book blows the ROTS movie out of the water and I despise the EU. Thats how good the book is.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 12:13 AM
Click here to Send ~JP~ a Private Message Find more posts by ~JP~ Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

Originally posted by Jedi Priestess

I third that motion.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 06:37 AM
Click here to Send Ordo a Private Message Find more posts by Ordo Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Yes, he becomes fully evil from that moment. That's the Dark Side for you.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 10:58 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
PVS
Restricted

Account Restricted

please stop reminding me how anakin's turn, though explained throughout the film ad nauseum, makes no sense at all sad

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 01:18 PM
Click here to Send PVS a Private Message Find more posts by PVS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
chinabing

How about he made up his mind?

Anakin was no Hamlet. Anakin had his time of thoughtful deliberation.

When Mace tried to assassinate the man who could help him save Padme, Anakin saw what the Jedi were trying to do and that sealed the deal for him.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 02:19 PM
Click here to Send chinabing a Private Message Find more posts by chinabing Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ordo
Enforcer of the Republic

I can use that to rationalize why Anakin gave up the jedi, but its quite a jump to go from turning from the Order and magically pledging allegiance to the Sith like some sort of unconscious dog. Anakin can't really like the Sith at that point. And joining just because you have one friend (who you don't trust and who started a three year galactic war that destroyed your life), is a lame rationalization.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 02:39 PM
queeq
Chaos

The thing is: we KNOW how it works....
The problem is: we don't feel it, experience it or whatever. It is there factually, but I just don't buy it, it's not credible.

Old Post Aug 30th, 2006 05:23 PM