KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Force Lightning, Telekinetic Kill, and other Dark Side Powers

Force Lightning, Telekinetic Kill, and other Dark Side Powers
Started by: Darth Ninja

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Ninja

Force Lightning, Telekinetic Kill, and other Dark Side Powers

As Xizor and I discussed on the old board, he wanted to see Ki-Adi-Mundi killed by Force Lightning in Episode 2 or 3, while I wanted Jar Jar to be telekinetically killed by the throat crush method. Will we see these awesome powers in Episode 2 or 3? I confirmed that both Jorus AND Joruus C'boath will not be episode 2 or 3 by doing some research into the back story of the Thrawn Trilogy. It's too bad, because I wanted Joruus C'boath to use Force Lightning on the stupid and annoying Jar Jar.

Old Post Apr 14th, 2001 08:55 PM
Find more posts by Darth Ninja Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

We'll see, but I'd like to point out that the use of the term 'Dark Side power' is a little fuzzy right now.

From what we can tell, anyone can do any of the powers, it is simply a case of what they chose to do with them. No power is inherently evil; only people themselves get that qualification.

So Lightning isn't an evil power per se; powering it with your hatred and striking down the innocent with it certainly is.

It's always possible that Lightning is hidden Sith knowledge, of course, but the main point would stand.

[ April 14, 2001: Message edited by: Ushgarak ]

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 14th, 2001 11:21 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
JediOasis
Better Man

Yeah, I thought I read that one member of the JC could use force lightning, I think it was Plo Koon. And we saw Luke do the choke thing in ROTJ.

"I loved it the first time I saw it. It's goodies and baddies, cowboys and Indians in space. I was a child when it came out and it still appeals to me now. It is one of my favourite films ever and Darth Vader is best."
-Noel Gallagher

Old Post Apr 14th, 2001 11:32 PM
Click here to Send JediOasis a Private Message Find more posts by JediOasis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

Use of the Dark Side is a danger, because the Jedi could be consumed by it's overwelming power but it is not unheard of for a Jedi to "tap" the dark side and remain good.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2001 07:19 AM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

Very true, but I see the Dark Side in terms of what you use to fuel your power, not WHICH power you use.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

BtVS

Old Post Apr 15th, 2001 01:13 PM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

I think that's kinda what I meant too. Somethimes, if you tap the source to much you end up only using that source and that's when you fall.

Old Post Apr 15th, 2001 08:51 PM
Click here to Send Ratcat a Private Message Find more posts by Ratcat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

...and if you use powers whose only obvious use is destruction then this sort of thing is far more likely. Excellent, we all seem agreed.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 15th, 2001 10:22 PM
Zereil
Scoundrel

Bare in mind that the Expnaded universe seemed to generate a jedi that fell between the two pinnacles or extreme of force with Mara Jade and Luke. Luke if you recall in Dark Empire 2 fell to the Dark Side but differed from his father having been fully equipped with both general techniques but choosing to use them in a more productie manner. The same for Mara who operated for the Emperor with some Jedi talent but also turned to the light side but with Dark talents and tendencies and as such could be considered a Grey Jedi? Anyway either way in one of the books I recall Luke dismanteling his hand to get a power supply to open a door and having done so reassembling it to give it power again required a bit of a bolt. Strange given that youd think he wouldnt like it as it had calcified his bones the last time he came across it

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 02:16 PM
Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

True enough...

Mind you, you know what I think of the revolving door policy on the Darkside the EU put in for MJ and Luke at some points... I think the films make it clear that when it comes to the Dark Side you are either in or you are out... Grey Jedi strike me as as wishful thinking. They don't exist.

BtVS

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 05:51 PM
Darth Ninja

"A Jedi uses the Force for knowledge and defense, NEVER for attack."

- Master Yoda

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 10:04 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

True. But that was just one point of view, wasn't it?

BtVS

Old Post Apr 17th, 2001 10:11 PM
Zereil
Scoundrel

Purchance to dream, OK I'd like to beleive that it may be possible that in terms of the dark side you are in out, but there have been numerous examples of Jedi gradually being corupted, or else almost being turnded as such if you refuse to believe in the plausibiity or possibility that there are grey jedi then perhaps shadows that haunt the light side, or perhaps impinging awareness and occasional use.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 08:48 AM
Click here to Send Zereil a Private Message Find more posts by Zereil Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ratcat

That Yoda quote does come from a different age of the Jedi. Anyone who reads the EU novels can see that the Jedi that exist in the post-ROTJ era appear to be very different from those seen in Ep1 and Obi Wan/Yoda as seen in the OT.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 11:55 AM
Zereil
Scoundrel

Ah RatCat I do agree to an extent as I do feel that there is no problem with the different image of the Jedi. Knights in medieval period or the Samurai equivilent didn't stay the same forever and why not have some changes and perhaps a grey side. However I didn't either wish to styfle Ush's beliefs and therefore tried to meet a happy medium...couldn't find one so created a possible in between solution...

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 03:23 PM
Darth Ninja

Force Lightning
This power is a corruption of the Force, harnessing pure hatred and evil from the user and the Dark Side. These lightning bolts tear through the victim causing intense pain. Force Lightning can be deflected by using the Force as a shield or by using a lightsaber.

Telekinetic Kill (AKA: Force Grip)
This power is used to telekinetically injure or kill the target. The exact method used to injure or kill varies: crush the trachea (most poupular), stir the brain, squeeze the heart, freeze the lungs, or any number of other methods.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 08:17 PM
Ratcat

For sure, two very evil techniques, stong of the dark side.

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 09:07 PM
Zereil
Scoundrel

sure force lightning when on a person is probably dark side but what about on a door lock when held captive is it then no longer dark side use of power?...

Old Post Apr 18th, 2001 10:14 PM
Darth Ninja

It doesn't matter. If you use Force Lightning for ANY reason, you run a chance of falling to the Dark Side. To use Force Lightning, one must focus intensely on anger and hate.

Old Post Apr 19th, 2001 01:27 PM
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

It can be blocked with a sabre?! I wasn't aware of that, even in the EU.

As regards to tele-kill, remember there is no such singke power as telekinetic kill. The Force simply gives you telekinesis, and this canm feasinly used to crush a trachea much as it can be used to lift a rock.

Telekinesis is not inherently good or eveil, obviously. And Jedi CAN kill, ans is also clear. What is evil is using your telekinesis to cause needless suffering or in a selfish way. It is also eveil to power it with your darker emotions. But the power itself is neutral.

Unless Lightning is a special case (Sith lore, or as DN says ONLY powerable by darker emotions), it should be the same.

[ April 19, 2001: Message edited by: Ushgarak ]

BtVS

Old Post Apr 19th, 2001 03:56 PM
Zereil
Scoundrel

Bare in mind that even the good jedi realise occasionally the need to kill, therefore what if you are in an OB1 position hanging in a peril situation with no lightsaber to hand and it being a non force trained enemy as much a threat though, Is it so evil to use telekinesis in a manner that will kill. Bare in mind this also in law there is difference between murder and manslaughter in one way, and that is malice of after thought. THerefore may be the same applies to usage of the force its the light force if towards a greater end but dark force if used with malice...

Old Post Apr 19th, 2001 10:04 PM