KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » so I decided to try and make a lightsabre....

so I decided to try and make a lightsabre....
Started by: spekdah

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

so I decided to try and make a lightsabre....

I've seen other people on this site making lightsabers and they look pretty cool, I dont like the toy ones u see in the shops, they are either too short or just plain look like sh*t in my opinion.
So I thought I'd have a go.
The first thing I decided to do was start with the hardest part of the weapon to make first, the blade. I didnt want a dumb torch/hilt setup , I knew that to achieve that full total light effect I would need to go either neon or fluro ( or are they the same thing? i dunno) .
So I scanned the net and found a local person selling a couple of fluro lights that were 1.5m long, perfect.

So I got the two fluro lights ( Green and Blue) and preceeded to make up a shitty mockup hilt.
I decided to start with green, I cut the power cord ( you plugged them into the wall) and found ( using a car battery) that 12volts powered them direct with ease so now it was a case of finding a smaller 12volt battery.
I ended up ripping apart 2 12volt rechargable torches and got the batteries out of them and wired them inline to the fluro terminals via a simple switch( for now). I intend to wire in a plug so I can use the old battery rechager bases to rechrage the sabers batteries.
Basically now I have this much setup I can now visualize what the hilt will look like as much of its design will be determined by how much on-board crap its gonna need to run.

Here are the pics thus far, yes I know the hilt looks like shite but like I said I reckon its best to start with the hardest part ( the blade) first and on this part I think the results speak for themselves.

cheers

Attachment: raw1.jpg
This has been downloaded 174 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:03 AM
Click here to Send spekdah a Private Message Find more posts by spekdah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

crap hilt with blade installed, two battery cells wrapped for protection.
The balance is suprisingly good

Attachment: raw2.jpg
This has been downloaded 148 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:05 AM
Click here to Send spekdah a Private Message Find more posts by spekdah Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

with it switched on. It is DAMN bright, this pic was taken with my garage 500w halogens on and the camera flash

Attachment: bbq on raw.jpg
This has been downloaded 158 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:08 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

this is with the two halogens off and just the normal garage light and camera flash

Attachment: bbq on.jpg
This has been downloaded 143 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:11 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

In my hand, like i said its suprisingly well balanced and hell light!!

Attachment: in hand in garage.jpg
This has been downloaded 157 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:14 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

a few random shots outside in the dark.

Attachment: table at night.jpg
This has been downloaded 136 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:17 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

Attachment: table 2.jpg
This has been downloaded 125 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:18 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

I'm designing the hilt now, it will be made of polished alloy,rubber and any other junk lying around I might need . I will also add extra detail like a red LED on the hilt for effect ( maybe ON switch)

Once I have the hilt complete I'll post pics.

Cheers

Attachment: table 3.jpg
This has been downloaded 142 time(s).

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 10:22 AM
Lord-Nihilus
Sith Lord

...well, at least its not a fake lightsaber that landon "made", it looks good when its on, but does it always make that glow? could u get some shots of you holding it in the air, so that i know it looks good.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 01:26 PM
Click here to Send Lord-Nihilus a Private Message Find more posts by Lord-Nihilus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Rand al'Thor
Restricted

Account Restricted

It looks pretty cool great job dude.

Duty is heavier than a mountain death lighter than a feather.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 01:36 PM
Click here to Send Rand al'Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Rand al'Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord-Nihilus
Sith Lord

You ever seen them ones from the shops, jesus christ, its like your waving a giant lollypop around, it doesnt spread fear at all, but, a red one of spekdah's would be awesome...

Old Post Aug 12th, 2005 01:41 PM
Click here to Send Lord-Nihilus a Private Message Find more posts by Lord-Nihilus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soren the Mage
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote: (post)
Originally posted by spekdah
I'm designing the hilt now, it will be made of polished alloy,rubber and any other junk lying around I might need . I will also add extra detail like a red LED on the hilt for effect ( maybe ON switch)

Once I have the hilt complete I'll post pics.

Cheers

That's very well done.

An Ancient Prophecy . . . The deity shall walk forth . . .

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 05:15 PM
Click here to Send Soren the Mage a Private Message Find more posts by Soren the Mage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
REXXXX
Networking

Good job! Though, the hilt could look better. stick out tongue

Hell, what am I saying, I haven't made one.

Old Post Aug 15th, 2005 05:23 PM
Click here to Send REXXXX a Private Message Find more posts by REXXXX Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

well I have begun building the handle, I've ended up using a vacume cleaner handle and polished alloy piping.

I have wired an LED to a swith which I will now install.

I have been thinking about sound effects , I've brought one of those toy lightsabers with soundeffects like power up , clash etc... and I'l gonna swap over the sound gear to my handle, the motion sensors should work the same if installed correctly

Attachment: saber bits 1.jpg
This has been downloaded 90 time(s).

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 11:56 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

together,

Attachment: saber bits 2.jpg
This has been downloaded 91 time(s).

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 11:58 AM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

oh yeah, My mate brought the same model blade ( in Blue) so I'm gonna start building his handle soon. I have a Red neon on the way!!

Attachment: p1010032.jpg
This has been downloaded 95 time(s).

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 12:01 PM
spekdah
Restricted

Account Restricted

sorry bout te dark shots

Attachment: darth - dazza.jpg
This has been downloaded 92 time(s).

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 12:04 PM
jaden101
Restricted

Account Restricted

looks cool when its on...well done... thumb up

here is a load of different shaped 12 volt batteries if you need one to fit inside the hilt...

http://www.batteryspace.com/index.a...mp;Category=269

You come at the King, you best not miss!

Last edited by jaden101 on Aug 26th, 2005 at 12:26 PM

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 12:23 PM
Click here to Send jaden101 a Private Message Find more posts by jaden101 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth_Rankkor
Shikido Master

Are you taking orders? Hehehe

Fear the dark corners

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 03:47 PM
Click here to Send Darth_Rankkor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth_Rankkor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Janus Marius
Plo Koon Rulez!

That is pimp! Makes me want to be creative... outside of snide comments, that is. Nice work!

Old Post Aug 26th, 2005 03:47 PM
Click here to Send Janus Marius a Private Message Find more posts by Janus Marius Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote