KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Rivan was a Zelosian, Ragnos's rule details revealed, Exar Kun did NOT invent the DBL

Rivan was a Zelosian, Ragnos's rule details revealed, Exar Kun did NOT invent the DBL
Started by: Lightsnake

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Lightsnake

Rivan was a Zelosian, Ragnos's rule details revealed, Exar Kun did NOT invent the DBL

From the Essential guide to the Force, lot of details revealed. The sith section actually comes from...Palpatine's very own holocron and contains excellent images and info, including Palpatine being trained by Plagueis as a young man.

Now, for Ragnos: Palpatine details the records of Ragnos as extremely powerful and praises him for his caution. (Palpatine almost outright calls Naga Sadow an idiot at several points for a few reasons)
Ragnos's rule details: He united the Sith Lords in a quick series of campaigns in battle and stayed in power by manipulating his rivals against one another, manipulating the weaker ones into challenging him, or simply having the stronger ones assassinated. His cause of death is mentioned as 'possibly old age.'

Palpatine is mentioned as having gained all of Naga Sadow's knowledge from an old Sith holocron and comments Naga was far too generous with it...he even details 'some' of Naga's knowledge in "The Dark Side Compendium" Palpatine gives accounts from Dark Lords from the Ancient Empire, the NEw Sith Empire, primarily Seviss Vaa, one of Kaan's stronger Sith Lords-Palp also holds some of his info in skepticism as Palpatine proved him wrong in several areas. And Kla, a Jedi master and scholar turned Sith Lord. Palpatine remarks one thing Sith can learn from Jedi is not being brash morons (Like Naga Sadow. Palpatine REALLY doesn't like him)

And he said though he's sometimes criticized for his 'inaction' during the early events, he says he ignores such critics as things proceeded directly as he wanted. He already had his eye on Dooku and Maul achieved his purpose perfectly.

And perhaps largest of all: Exar Kun is confirmed to...NOT have invented the DBL. Sorry, Exar fans, but it's mentioned he learned the design from studying a Sith holocron containing information from the first Jedi exiles.

Some nice stuff with Ajunta Pall, too...and first hand accounts from several Sith. Malak, btw, is confirmed as 'Alek' from the KOTOR comics

A lot of illustrations are VERY well done...aforementioned Palp and Plagueis, Palp and Maul, Mara Jade's funeral (OK, a few complaints on that one...Luke looks too happy in that picture, but Ben and Jacen look great.)

All in all, damn fine guide

Old Post Nov 28th, 2007 05:57 PM
Click here to Send Lightsnake a Private Message Find more posts by Lightsnake Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

As a fanboy, I must ask, anything on Nihilus?

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 12:43 AM
Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

I really can't wait to get this. I go to ask how much was it?

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 12:45 AM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Violent2Dope
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wish to know too, I would like to buy it.

PYRON WOULD WIPE THE FLOOR WITH STORM LULZ!

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 12:49 AM
Click here to Send Violent2Dope a Private Message Find more posts by Violent2Dope Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Violent2Dope
I wish to know too, I would like to buy it.

I know the only problem for is that that barnes and nobles by me seems to be lacking on this type of star wars book, heck i been going there to buy the legacy books yet I had never once saw the Darth Bane:Path of Destruction book there.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 12:52 AM
Click here to Send Elite Hunter a Private Message Find more posts by Elite Hunter Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
0°Mandalore°0
Mandalorian Pride

Originally posted by Darth Hord
I know the only problem for is that that barnes and nobles by me seems to be lacking on this type of star wars book, heck i been going there to buy the legacy books yet I had never once saw the Darth Bane:Path of Destruction book there.

But I bought it in there...

A warrior knows nothing of surrender.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 01:34 AM
Click here to Send 0°Mandalore°0 a Private Message Find more posts by 0°Mandalore°0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

Originally posted by 0°Mandalore°0
But I bought it in there...
The one closest to me is bad for these types of books.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 01:36 AM
Elite Hunter

I honestly think I want this book more than the new legacy novel even thought I will get both.

Old Post Nov 29th, 2007 02:11 AM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

This is the latest addition to the "New Essential Guide" series and it is strictly focused on all subject matter relating to the Force. Furthermore, unlike the previous guides, this one in particular is key on getting perspectives and accounts from multiple individuals; most of them legendary and popular characters ranging from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker to Darth Revan to Ajunta Pall. This allows for a more diverse collection of perspectives with the in-universe Galactic Alliance Historical committee making a point out of making the guide for knowledge's sake only.

Overall, the guide itself was collected by New Jedi Order historian Tionne Solusar circa 40 A.B.Y (during the Legacy of the Force crisis, specifically after the death of Mara Jade Skywalker) as a means of creating the most objective guide to the Force as possible, including the Jedi and the Sith.

Excellent guide. Answers a lot of questions. The guide also features sections devoted strictly to the Jedi and Sith. The Jedi section was compiled and "narrated" by Tionne. The Sith section is taken from an uberSith device called the Telos Holocron, narrated by Emperor Palpatine circa Dark Empire.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 05:47 AM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Originally posted by Gideon
This is the latest addition to the "New Essential Guide" series and it is strictly focused on all subject matter relating to the Force. Furthermore, unlike the previous guides, this one in particular is key on getting perspectives and accounts from multiple individuals; most of them legendary and popular characters ranging from Obi-Wan Kenobi to Luke Skywalker to Darth Revan to Ajunta Pall. This allows for a more diverse collection of perspectives with the in-universe Galactic Alliance Historical committee making a point out of making the guide for knowledge's sake only.

Overall, the guide itself was collected by New Jedi Order historian Tionne Solusar circa 40 A.B.Y (during the Legacy of the Force crisis, specifically after the death of Mara Jade Skywalker) as a means of creating the most objective guide to the Force as possible, including the Jedi and the Sith.

Excellent guide. Answers a lot of questions. The guide also features sections devoted strictly to the Jedi and Sith. The Jedi section was compiled and "narrated" by Tionne. The Sith section is taken from an uberSith device called the Telos Holocron, narrated by Emperor Palpatine circa Dark Empire.

I think this is the most informative, most descriptive piece of Star Wars literature I have ever read. There are certain problems such as Ajunta Pall carrying a lightsaber without a powerpack, or the fact that Sidious somehow made a holocron while thinking he will live forever, but overall it was excellent. Amazing illustrations.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 03:42 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Re: Re: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force

Originally posted by Darth Sexy
I think this is the most informative, most descriptive piece of Star Wars literature I have ever read. There are certain problems such as Ajunta Pall carrying a lightsaber without a powerpack, or the fact that Sidious somehow made a holocron while thinking he will live forever, but overall it was excellent. Amazing illustrations.

Pall probably used an alternative source to power his lightsaber. As for the other complaint, the Emperor did not create the Telos Holocron. He explicitly states that he is merely the "last gatekeeper" and that it was created by an unknown Sith ages upon ages ago. He records some of his own teachings there on the (unlikely, in his mind) event that he should die.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 03:54 PM
Click here to Send Gideon a Private Message Find more posts by Gideon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

Ahhhh ok. Well my concern was with the discrepancies between what the exiled dark jedi used. In GAOTS it showed them using swords and lightsabers. However, a saber didn't need a powerpack a few hundred years after the Great Hyperspace War, so I'm wondering how he has a regular lightsaber and if he does, why they would need to go back to power packs. I took my medicine when I was reading it so I have a lot of specific questions in mind.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:18 PM
Click here to Send Dr McBeefington a Private Message Find more posts by Dr McBeefington Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Elite Hunter

I liked how part of the sith section was told from Sidious's point of view. I just wished they had him give his overall opinion on other sith lords like Revan and Kun. There is a few details about characters I wished they would include but overall it was very good.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:19 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Darth Hord
I liked how part of the sith section was told from Sidious's point of view. I just wished they had him give his overall opinion on other sith lords like Revan and Kun. There is a few details about characters I wished they would include but overall it was very good.

What I find especially interesting is that Sidious is well aware of the events that occurred on Malachor V.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:22 PM
Elite Hunter

Originally posted by Gideon
What I find especially interesting is that Sidious is well aware of the events that occurred on Malachor V.
That is interesting, their is so much that could be taken from it, and what he knows of the sith triumvirate and their techniques but it was only one sentence.

I also like the chosen one section and hearing the accounts of Leia's cousin, and others who used to know Anakin. And I like how Sidious calls Vader a "minor masterpiece and would do it all again if he had the chance.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:28 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

My question is, how is Sidious aware of so many historical events? We know a lot of them were either lost in time, or there was nobody to tell the tale, but somehow Sidious knows everything.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:28 PM
Elite Hunter

My question is, how is Sidious aware of so many historical events? We know a lot of them were either lost in time, or there was nobody to tell the tale, but somehow Sidious knows everything.
It does seem he knows a lot of events most of which came probably be explained by all the holocrons he seems to have access to. But the the Malachor V I'm not that sure on. Since Seviss Vaaa did not of Malachor and he was around about 1000 years before Sidious. Maybe it was mentioned somewhere else in the telos holocron not included in the guide.

Edit: Maybe a gatekeeper could have been around during the destruction of malachor and recorded it.

Last edited by Elite Hunter on Dec 1st, 2007 at 04:38 PM

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:31 PM
Gideon
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Telos Holocron proves that most Sith Lords, despite natural egotism and narcissism, did have the presence of mind to accept the possibility of defeat and death, and recorded their most important information on the Holocron just in case. As Sidious says of Naga Sadow, some Sith were "too generous" with their information. Add to the fact that he was the supreme ruler of a galactic superpower with unlimited resources and complete control over historical aspects, I'd say he had the means to investigate just about anything.

Edit: That's correct. Palpatine notes that Seviss Vaa was "not aware of the events of Malachor V" that occured some four thousand years earlier. Implying that he found out about it somewhere else.

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:34 PM
Dr McBeefington
Restricted

Account Restricted

I wonder how Darth Krayt got a hold of Andeddu's and Nihilus' holocron. Must have raided Palpatine's treasures..

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:41 PM
BoratBorat
Restricted

Account Restricted

I like the fact that we get the first look at darth plagueis and how palpatines looks like at a young age, looks similar to tico torres

Old Post Dec 1st, 2007 04:42 PM
Click here to Send BoratBorat a Private Message Find more posts by BoratBorat Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote