KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Is the EU Invalidated Now the Lucas Sold The Rights?

Is the EU Invalidated Now the Lucas Sold The Rights?
Started by: Based

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Based
iPinoy

Is the EU Invalidated Now the Lucas Sold The Rights?

I don't really know the details of the deal but is Disney creating new canon or is LucasArts still in control of whats canon and whatnot.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2012 01:09 AM
Click here to Send Based a Private Message Find more posts by Based Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

ares834 is online now!

No one knows.

Old Post Dec 11th, 2012 01:13 AM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Yes.

Old Post Jan 16th, 2013 10:27 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 01:05 PM
Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

Not yet.

Also, more than likely we'll simply have two different EUs. And some old EU stuff will still quality in both (like most Clone Wars era things) and some won't.

Old Post Jan 17th, 2013 03:48 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NTJack0
Ranger

No, once the movies are released and trample all over the EU, then yes.

Old Post Jan 19th, 2013 01:20 AM
Click here to Send NTJack0 a Private Message Find more posts by NTJack0 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheOneOfMortis
Restricted

Account Restricted

Maybe just post-RoTJ stuffs.

refer to profile for my mma rankings

Old Post Jan 19th, 2013 01:55 AM
Click here to Send TheOneOfMortis a Private Message Find more posts by TheOneOfMortis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Man, that would suck. no expression

Old Post Jan 19th, 2013 11:29 AM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Imaginary
blinded

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NTJack0
No, once the movies are released and trample all over the EU, then yes.

This is my understanding too.

Old Post Feb 5th, 2013 05:09 AM
Click here to Send Imaginary a Private Message Find more posts by Imaginary Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Abu-Bactr

We shall see.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 07:27 PM
Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

The stories'll still exist, mind.

More than likely we'll just talk 'old EU' and 'new canon' canons.

Old Post Mar 1st, 2013 07:37 PM
Click here to Send Q99 a Private Message Find more posts by Q99 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

'Invalidated' is the wrong word. I know I enforce a canon policy, but that's only because we need a reference point for meaningful discussion. Canon doesn't mean better, it doesn't mean innately superior, and it doesn't quite mean 'valid' in a universal sense- only valid within the particular continuity being described.

The EU was always other people's takes on various elements of the Star Wars universe. That's going to be as true after the films come out as it was before. The difference is that there will now be a much more widely known and promoted take on post-ROTJ Star Wars with a more direct link to George, but that doesn't 'invalidate' the EU any more than it was before, because it will still be what it always was. If you prefer the EU interpretation of things, just go on preferring it. It doesn't really work out to obsess over what is the 'right' version. The public belief is going to be that the films are the official continuation, of course, but frankly when we talk of the 'public' on that scale, we're talking about a body for whom the EU didn't exist anyway. I'm more a film person than an EU person, but the idea that sequel films in some way alter the status of the EU sequels really doesn't occur to me.

So, around here, all it will mean is that the new films will be an acceptable point of reference for threads in the film sections in the way the EU is not. In the EU section itself, it may lead to complications when direct contradictions turn up, but that can be worked out on a thread-by-thread basis depending on what people want to discuss.

What won't ever happen is that the entire post-ROTJ body of EU work gets suddenly ignored. It's just its own thing.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Mar 4th, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Old Post Mar 4th, 2013 10:13 AM
Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

If you're familiar with Star Trek, there's the Starfleet Battles timeline that was created pre-TNG (and even pre-most of the movies), and expanded the universe and events in it well past the original series.

It's still going and still occasionally getting new stuff, even though it ceased being the main canon somewhere in the 1980s.

Old Post Mar 4th, 2013 03:24 PM
Abu-Bactr

You can make Trek canon work for you . If you pick up a book always ask beforeheand what does it contradict. Vanguard is great self-contained story for example.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2013 06:54 PM
Click here to Send Abu-Bactr a Private Message Find more posts by Abu-Bactr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

It will be soon enough. Arguably the EU was never valid to begin with.

Credit to Scythe

Old Post Mar 17th, 2013 04:08 AM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Kazenji
Onyx Prime

Coming from someone that has a avatar of a character that's form the EU.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2013 12:11 PM
Click here to Send Kazenji a Private Message Find more posts by Kazenji Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by Kazenji
Coming from someone that has a avatar of a character that's form the EU.

I like some EU stuff and dislike others. I'm just mentioning the controversy because the new movies are probably going to throw a lot of EU canon out the window.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2013 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Vensai a Private Message Find more posts by Vensai Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Q99

It turns out that Dark Horse is still being hired to do new EU stuff.

I think it'll basically be that we'll have two SW universes.

Old Post Mar 18th, 2013 11:58 PM
Darth Thor

Originally posted by Q99
It turns out that Dark Horse is still being hired to do new EU stuff.

I think it'll basically be that we'll have two SW universes.

Which is how Lucas always saw it anyway.

But I guess the difference now will be that previously Lucas's work was still canon to the EU. But with the new films they likely won't be canon to Post-ROTJ EU.

But I'm sure the EU will attempt to make them both fit as much as possible.

Old Post Mar 20th, 2013 02:21 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Vensai

Originally posted by DARTH POWER
Which is how Lucas always saw it anyway.

But I guess the difference now will be that previously Lucas's work was still canon to the EU. But with the new films they likely won't be canon to Post-ROTJ EU.

But I'm sure the EU will attempt to make them both fit as much as possible.

That's going to be so much fun...

Old Post Mar 20th, 2013 10:46 PM