KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Lucas Quote

Lucas Quote
Started by: UCanShootMyNova

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
UCanShootMyNova

Lucas Quote

Anybody have the quote confirming the novelizations were G canon?

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 09:16 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

G-canon doesn't exist anymore, so it doesn't matter.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:05 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

It does for a specific debate I'm in currently.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:13 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Keep praying.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:17 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ares834

Novelizations aren't G-canon, they only are G-canon when they match the films.

However Stover has stated, "Though I did not personally watch him do it, I received from LFL a Word document of Revenge of the Sith with Mr Lucas' edits, which was distinct from the edits I'd already gotten from Sue Rostoni and Howard Roffman and the rest of the LFL crew, and this document was edited in such a detailed fashion that even individual words had been struck off and his preferred replacements inserted, as well as some passages wholly excised and some dialogue replaced with the dialogue from the screenplay. If that's not line-editing, I don't know what is.

"What's in that book is there because Mr. Lucas wanted it to be there. What's not in that book is not there because Mr. Lucas wanted it gone.

"Period."

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:20 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Yeah, the RotS novel is G-canon.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:20 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

This applies only to Revenge of the Sith or all the movies?

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:21 PM
ares834

Only RotS. But even then, it's not officially confirmed to be G-canon.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:22 PM
Click here to Send ares834 a Private Message Find more posts by ares834 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

G-Canon represents anything Lucas has personally edited/approved, which includes the RotS novel, where he did just that.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:23 PM
ares834

Or so Stover was led to believe. And no, Lucas has worked on, edited, and approved many projects that aren't G-canon.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:25 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

You have something to support this Nova? Because:
quote:
When it comes to absolute canon, the real story of Star Wars, you must turn to the films themselves--and only the films. Even novelizations are interpretations of the film, and while they are largely true to George Lucas' vision (he works quite closely with the novel authors), the method in which they are written does allow for some minor differences.

(http://web.archive.org/web/20011006...jc20010817.html)

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:25 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Well, there is an older 1994 quote that deems the radio drama, screenplays and novelizations "canon", but you could argue in what capacity.

Besides, your quote would imply that the novels are G-canon where they don't contradict the films, so there is that.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:32 PM
Zenwolf

But then what counts as contradicting? Because the novelizations don't have word for word telling what the movies show.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:35 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

I'd assume that expository writing doesn't count as a contradiction. But a blatant difference in depiction of events would count as a contradiction.

Old Post Oct 6th, 2016 11:39 PM
Darth Thor

Owen being Ben's brother is a contradiction.

But tbh that's such a massive change it leads me to believe you can't really count anything from Pre-Prequel novels anymore. We need updated versions.

Old Post Oct 7th, 2016 03:41 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote