KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Proof that Novel blurbs are canon

Proof that Novel blurbs are canon
Started by: Ursumeles

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Ursumeles
Traitor

Proof that Novel blurbs are canon

IIRC, there was an Leeland Chee quote, or so. Does anyone has it?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 03:22 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NewGuy01
perpetual

Well, he has that quote that essentially says, "basically everything published regardless of the media, excluding x&y, is canon."

He never directly addresses it or anything like that, to my knowledge, though.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 03:34 PM
Click here to Send NewGuy01 a Private Message Find more posts by NewGuy01 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ursumeles
Traitor

quote: (post)
Originally posted by NewGuy01
Well, he has that quote that essentially says, "basically everything published regardless of the media, excluding x&y, is canon."

Do you have a scan?

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 03:40 PM
Click here to Send Ursumeles a Private Message Find more posts by Ursumeles Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ziggystardust
Restricted

Account Restricted

quote:
"...continuity "C" canon which is pretty much everything else." By everything else I mean EVERYthing else. Novels, comics, junior novels, videogames, trading card games, roleplaying games, toys, websites, television. As I've mentioned earlier, any contradictions that arise are dealt on a case-by-case.

This has been our general approach to continuity since we began using the Holocron database to track it."

- chee

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 03:46 PM
Click here to Send Ziggystardust a Private Message Find more posts by Ziggystardust Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Oh shit. Noice. Thanks Ziggy.

"I worked Jack in" - DMB, Gchat, 2017.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 04:37 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Thor

All that C-Canon stuff isn't relevant anymore.

Now it's either Canon or Legends (Non-Canon).

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 06:48 PM
Click here to Send Darth Thor a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Thor Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Nah

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 06:51 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Nah

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 06:58 PM
Click here to Send UCanShootMyNova a Private Message Find more posts by UCanShootMyNova Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Fated Xtasy
Kami

So we're taking the Bane book cover quote and the Plaggy one at face value now?

Christ.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 10:27 PM
Click here to Send Fated Xtasy a Private Message Find more posts by Fated Xtasy Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ChaosTheory123
Bored with sanity

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy

Christ.

Your forum's choice really

Just play a game of "spot the contradiction" and see how they hold up *shrugs*

After all, contradiction are dealt with on a case by case basis according to Chee in that same quote

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 10:30 PM
Click here to Send ChaosTheory123 a Private Message Find more posts by ChaosTheory123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
UCanShootMyNova

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy

Christ.

Nope. I only take quotes that clear up an ambiguous issue or are supported by feats.

Old Post Nov 2nd, 2016 10:52 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Death to blurbs:

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/forum...2#js-message-72

TL;DR

Chee saying "everything owned by Lucas is canon" doesn't apply to novel blurbs. Blurbs, cover art, the paperback itself etc, are owned by the publisher.

In this case the publisher of most Star Wars books, Del Rey, isn't owned by Lucasfilms/Disney. Their parent company is Random House Books, who also happen to publish George R. R. Martin's books, along with countless others.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Last edited by ILS on Jan 15th, 2017 at 12:28 PM

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:25 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Death to Star Wars literature you mean? Since it's all "owned" by Del Rey. erm

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:35 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Beniboybling
Death to Star Wars literature you mean? Since it's all "owned" by Del Rey. erm
They don't own creative/copyright rights, though. Unless I'm mistaken, it would be a breach of contract for Del Rey to go outside of Disney/Lucasfilms and get someone who isn't Drew to write some Darth Zannah books. You need permission from Star Wars to write Star Wars books.

Point being, nobody from Lucasfilms is responsible for, or has any authority over, what goes on a blurb.

“The galaxy must experience the pain of death and the rapture of rebirth as I have. I will bring chaos. It is time for war.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:42 PM
Click here to Send ILS a Private Message Find more posts by ILS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
cs_zoltan

Holy f-uck, Myth was 10/10 retarded in that thread a year ago.

"You presume limits to our double standards. There are none." - Vitidiots

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:44 PM
Click here to Send cs_zoltan a Private Message Find more posts by cs_zoltan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Yeah, so for example, a single author could go to a publisher and try to get their work published. In the contract, they would cover film and translation rights. The publisher would say something like "we'll pay this and this if you let us translate your book to Russian, and this if you give us the right to make a movie out of it."

But, clearly, Del Rey doesn't have film rights for Star Wars. On the same note, they clearly don't have control over what goes into the book itself, aside from saying "We'll publish you, but only if you change this" - it's still up to the author whether or not they make the suggested changes.

The publisher only draws up a contract with the author, gets their permission for X, Y and Z, and then sell the book. The key word being sell.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:46 PM
SunRazer
Back From The Dead

Don't think anyone's been treating the blurbs as canon. But fallibility is not the same as inaccuracy. It's just a point in favour of Plagueis.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:48 PM
Click here to Send SunRazer a Private Message Find more posts by SunRazer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by cs_zoltan
Holy f-uck, Myth was 10/10 retarded in that thread a year ago.
Classic Comic Vine for you.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:49 PM
ILS
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by SunRazer
Don't think anyone's been treating the blurbs as canon. But fallibility is not the same as inaccuracy. It's just a point in favour of Plagueis.
My argument stopped hinging on fallibility a long time ago.

Is it a point in favour? I guess. Is it something I would rely on if there was nothing else? Not a chance in hell. I don't disagree with the blurb but that doesn't mean it's coming from a reliable/official source. A layperson can be right about something but that doesn't mean they have more authority than an expert in the field, or in this case, someone who has the right to sell and advertise does not have creative rights for all of Star Wars.

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 12:51 PM
Beniboybling
Worst Member

Originally posted by ILS
They don't own creative/copyright rights, though. Unless I'm mistaken, it would be a breach of contract for Del Rey to go outside of Disney/Lucasfilms and get someone who isn't Drew to write some Darth Zannah books. You need permission from Star Wars to write Star Wars books.

Point being, nobody from Lucasfilms is responsible for, or has any authority over, what goes on a blurb.
No, a breach of contract would be for Del Rey to publish a SW book outside of the LucasBooks imprint, the Lucas company and publishing arm of Lucasfilm that publishers like Dey Rey (and DK, and Titan etc.) have the rights to create SW liscensed out to. Much in the same way that independent authors like Drew, who are not Lucas companies, and whom often write content for other universes, like Mass Effect, are liscensed as authors by LucasBooks.

Or in other words yes, the blurb is produced by Lucasfilm, or rather Lucasbooks, a Lucas company, just through a series of third parties. And yes, all of it is ultimately owned by them. Case in point, on the back cover of the Darth Plagueis novel, right beneath the blurb, is the following:

(please log in to view the image)

So yeah, it's canon. thumb up

Old Post Jan 15th, 2017 01:00 PM
Click here to Send Beniboybling a Private Message Find more posts by Beniboybling Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote