KMC Forums

 
  REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!
 
 
Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » The Last Jedi: LUKE SKYWALKER Discussion Thread (Spoilers)


Thoughts?
You do not have permission to vote on this poll.
I loved Luke's portrayal. 5 13.89%
I liked Luke portrayal. 5 13.89%
I have mixed emotions portrayal. 9 25.00%
I disliked Luke portrayal. 3 8.33%
I hated Luke portrayal. 14 38.89%
Total: 36 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

The Last Jedi: LUKE SKYWALKER Discussion Thread (Spoilers)
Started by: DarthAnt66

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

Warning The Last Jedi: LUKE SKYWALKER Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Rather than debate the same points concerning Luke on ten different threads, let's bring it here.

Did you like him? Did you not like him? What did you like? What didn't you like? Vote in the poll.

EDIT: BTW, I know I made massive typos in the polls copy-and-pasting. You know what I meant though.


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Last edited by Jaggarath on Dec 15th, 2017 at 10:14 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:07 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Winterfell


 

Did not like. Mark Hamill was right, it was an incorrect portrayal of Luke Skywalker. I thought that in the context of the sequel trilogy as a stand-alone it was a fine characterization. But as far as being contextualized in the grander scheme of Luke throughout the OT and the ST it was abysmal. There was nothing traumatic enough for Luke to want to murder Ben. Vader destroyed a planet, tortured his friends, and murdered his entire family and not once did he give into the urge to want to kill him in ROTJ. It was also an utter betrayal of Yoda's teachings. Yoda and Ben didn't go into hiding until the Republic, the Chancellor, the Chosen One and indeed the galaxy itself had turned against them. Luke ****ed up the galaxy and instead of attempting to fix it like a Jedi he goes to cry and ***** about it.

At the very least it would have been interesting if Luke was attempting to destroy the Force Kreia-style because he saw the vicious cycle. But this Luke was a betrayal. At least Han's death made sense and his characterization was in the realm of the character. Luke was mischaracterized.


__________________

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:22 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Registered: Aug 2014
Location: Your Moms house


 

I liked his stance on why the Jedi needed to end as they are the same reasons that ive been preaching for years; the Jedi Order was FAR from perfect and it was their hubris and rigidity that caused their spectacular demise.

I like the flashes of Force that we saw from him; casually exploding the stone hut, schooling Rey easily in the stick fight, the couple of moves he exhibited in his brief lightsaber encounter with Kylo


I wasn't a fan of the Force projection however and I hated him dying from... exhaustion??? He went out in an even worse way than his mom did!

And i was blase about his attitude in general, I get not wanting to train the kid after his failure with Kylo but he was a coward straight up and the whole waiting to die thing wasn't in Lukes character at all.

And the HUGE problem was with Luke even considering killing Ben in his sleep... Luke Skywalker would NEVER do that in a million years, not to his sisters kid especially and that bs about sensing darkness in him was hogwash; this is the guy that persevered and turned the baddest man in the galaxy good again so to say I didn't buy it is an understatement.


All in all hes was a mixed bag for me to say the least but at least Hamill brought some great acting to the role; hes improved so so much as an actor since the last time we saw him as Luke 30 odd years ago.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:23 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Registered: Dec 2007
Location: The End


 

#NotMyLuke


I loved it, myself. I don't get people saying Lukes some perfect princess. He only just stopped himself from killing Vader.


__________________

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:29 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
I loved it, myself. I don't get people saying Lukes some perfect princess. He only just stopped himself from killing Vader.

It's even a plot-point in the movie that Luke is a romanticized and deified person but Luke-the-person isn't that way. thumb up


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:36 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

Registered: Aug 2014
Location: Your Moms house


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
It's even a plot-point in the movie that Luke is a romanticized and deified person but Luke-the-person isn't that way. thumb up


what does that have anything to do with the character that we saw in the OT?? Romanticized or not Luke would never try to kill his nephew especially in his sleep! This is the guy who was all alone in the thought that he could bring Vader back to the light, the same guy who had a chance to kill Vader after a straight up fight and didn't take it because he knew it was wrong, you think that all of a sudden he'd try to kill a KID IN HIS SLEEP because he "sensed" darkness in his future?? Hell No, that isn't the Luke we knew in the OT at all

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:43 PM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

I'd argue the fact Luke didn't kill Ben is because of his experiences redeeming Vader in the original trilogy.


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:45 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Registered: Feb 2006
Location: United States


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I'd argue the fact Luke didn't kill Ben is because of his experiences redeeming Vader in the original trilogy.
Experiences which you'd think would've precluded this whole "Luke has given up and thinks the Jedi need to die out" subplot entirely. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Registered: Dec 2007
Location: The End


 

It was a small moment of weakness, he didn't actually try to do it.


__________________

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Registered: Feb 2006
Location: United States


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
Did not like. Mark Hamill was right, it was an incorrect portrayal of Luke Skywalker. I thought that in the context of the sequel trilogy as a stand-alone it was a fine characterization. But as far as being contextualized in the grander scheme of Luke throughout the OT and the ST it was abysmal. There was nothing traumatic enough for Luke to want to murder Ben. Vader destroyed a planet, tortured his friends, and murdered his entire family and not once did he give into the urge to want to kill him in ROTJ. It was also an utter betrayal of Yoda's teachings. Yoda and Ben didn't go into hiding until the Republic, the Chancellor, the Chosen One and indeed the galaxy itself had turned against them. Luke ****ed up the galaxy and instead of attempting to fix it like a Jedi he goes to cry and ***** about it.

At the very least it would have been interesting if Luke was attempting to destroy the Force Kreia-style because he saw the vicious cycle. But this Luke was a betrayal. At least Han's death made sense and his characterization was in the realm of the character. Luke was mischaracterized.
It was shitty writing to the extreme and an abysmal effort to explain why Luke is out of the spotlight. There are a bajillion reasons they could've kept Luke out from outshining the new characters without gutting his character entirely. Even more asinine is how a quick talk with Yoda is all it takes for Luke to see the error in his ways. Makes you wonder why Yoda didn't show up as a force ghost at ANY PREVIOUS POINT . . . like maybe PRIOR to Luke's decision to go into exile. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Last edited by Dark-Kenshin on Dec 15th, 2017 at 11:01 PM

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:51 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
Makes you wonder why Yoda didn't show up as a force ghost at ANY PREVIOUS POINT . . . like maybe PRIOR to Luke's decision to go into exile. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Luke cut himself off from the Force after the Kylo fiasco.


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:54 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Winterfell


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Nephthys
It was a small moment of weakness, he didn't actually try to do it.


That's not a small moment of weakness lol. He took the long walk to his hut drew his lightsaber and was mid stroke before having a small moment of strength that stopped him.


__________________

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:55 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Registered: Feb 2006
Location: United States


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by relentless1
I liked his stance on why the Jedi needed to end as they are the same reasons that ive been preaching for years; the Jedi Order was FAR from perfect and it was their hubris and rigidity that caused their spectacular demise.
I like that stance too, but they did nowhere near enough legwork to justify Luke adopting that viewpoint and certainly didn't do enough to make it relevant to the film given that it ultimately doesn't go anywhere. Right after Rey rejects his offer, it's as if a piece of the screenplay gets cut out of the movie and Kylo is right back to first base. Really, it would've been better had Kylo been the one to articulate the feelings Luke was expressing. It would've tied strongly to Kylo's position to put aside the past as well as his idea to let the Jedi AND Sith die. Bada bing bada boom, he finally finds his calling, the little diaper boy wannabe Vader routine is gone and we have ourselves a gray force wielding antagonist that not only can be taken seriously in episode IX but has the means to be the best antagonist in the entire series.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:58 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Dark-Kenshin
Blocked

Registered: Feb 2006
Location: United States


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Luke cut himself off from the Force after the Kylo fiasco.
I stand corrected.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 10:59 PM
Click here to Send Dark-Kenshin a Private Message Find more posts by Dark-Kenshin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Lord Stark
That's not a small moment of weakness lol. He took the long walk to his hut drew his lightsaber and was mid stroke before having a small moment of strength that stopped him.

... not true. Luke walked over to look into Kylo's mind, found darkness, and then in a moment of weakness thought to kill him.

You're mixing up Kylo's version with the final version.


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:00 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FreshestSlice
Eternal Commander

Registered: May 2014
Location:


 

There's no "final version," just two different accounts. We don't need to take Luke at his word. Frankly, he's not trust worthy anymore. Even compared to Kylo.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:06 PM
Click here to Send FreshestSlice a Private Message Find more posts by FreshestSlice Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Lord Stark
Lord of Winterfell

Registered: Jan 2007
Location: Winterfell


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
... not true. Luke walked over to look into Kylo's mind, found darkness, and then in a moment of weakness thought to kill him.

You're mixing up Kylo's version with the final version.


Mmm I don't think so. The look on Luke's face and how he rather quickly reaches for his lightsaber without hesitation after he looks into Kylo's mind seemed more like confirmation that he needed to act rather than a spur of the moment decision. But I've only seen it once so you may be right that I am conflating the different versions and there was some hesitation in between.


__________________

The North Remembers

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:08 PM
Click here to Send Lord Stark a Private Message Find more posts by Lord Stark Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Jaggarath
DarthAnt66

Registered: Feb 2013
Location: USA


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by FreshestSlice
There's no "final version," just two different accounts. We don't need to take Luke at his word. Frankly, he's not trust worthy anymore. Even compared to Kylo.

Three versions. Luke's original, Kylo's version, then the truth.


__________________

"There is only Revan. Only he can shape this galaxy as it is meant to be shaped."

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:09 PM
Click here to Send Jaggarath a Private Message Find more posts by Jaggarath Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Nephthys
The Gr8est!!!!!!!!

Registered: Dec 2007
Location: The End


 

Ant is correct.


__________________

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:13 PM
Click here to Send Nephthys a Private Message Find more posts by Nephthys Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Gehenna
Sorgo

Registered: Feb 2015
Location: Yet to be found


 

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Three versions. Luke's original, Kylo's version, then the truth.


THANK you. Had this problem in the other thread. How are people misunderstanding this? The movie is very explicit in explaining this.

Then the fucking incredible backpedaling of, "Well, um, maybe Luke's final version is bullshit! You can't trust him!"

Fucking LOL.


__________________


Nothing ever ends.

Old Post Dec 15th, 2017 11:54 PM
Click here to Send Gehenna a Private Message Find more posts by Gehenna Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
All times are UTC. The time now is 01:13 AM.
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread

Email this Page
Subscribe to this Thread
   Post New Thread  Post A Reply

Forum Jump:
Search by user:
 

Forum Rules:
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
HTML code is OFF
vB code is ON
Smilies are ON
[IMG] code is ON

Text-only version
 

< Contact Us - KillerMovies.com - Forum Archive - Forum Rules >


© Copyright 2000-2006, KillerMovies.com. All Rights Reserved.
Forum powered by: vBulletin, copyright ©2000-2006, Jelsoft Enterprises Limited.