KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Jedi robes

Jedi robes
Started by: Sheev

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sheev
The All-Sith

Jedi robes

I know this is a bit of a strange question, but is there a reason why outside of a select few, Jedi almost always wore their standard robes into conflicts? Seems like wearing more tactical attire that protected them from the off blaster bolt would have been a smarter alternative than just robes. Especially if they knew they might be going into a volatile situation confused

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 05:02 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

I always assumed it was just tradition.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 05:23 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

More freedom of movement from what I've read, though really it's just inconsistent.

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 09:03 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

I guess it doesnt get much more "free" then robes. stick out tongue

Old Post Mar 5th, 2020 10:47 PM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zenwolf
More freedom of movement from what I've read, though really it's just inconsistent.
Yep. The Jedi garb is definitely made with combat in mind.

quote:
Thrawn gestured to Anakin's clothing. "What about you and your uniform?"

"The Jedi don't have uniforms," Anakin said, looking down at his own outfit. Anyway, you're right. I should probably change into something that looks more local."
"And less like the garb of a warrior", said Thrawn.
Anakin frowned. "What are you talking about?"

"Your sleeves are cut to allow exaggerated movements of your arms," Thrawn said. "Likewise, the long tunic, which appears as if it would impede your movement, also allows freedom of motion. Of equal importance is the fact that in combat its swirling motion will distract an opponent's eyes."

"Interesting," Anakin said, looking at his clothing with new eyes. He'd always known how easy it was to fight in the outfit, but he'd never focused on the individual details before.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 6th, 2020 01:06 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Eh. I mean, yeah, the real reason is that Lucas wanted to keep a consistent look from the Original Trilogy, though it doesn't really make sense.

Many authors have tried to justify it. Zahn did it to drool to Thrawn like he always does, but the guidebook to Episode 1 said that the robes were designed to show that the Jedi came in peace, and when they put their arms in their sleeves, it would be impossible to reach for their lightsabers, so people know they won't attack.

Let's be real, it makes no sense for jedi to wear one type of attire, especially robes, at all times.

This is really just another case of the Prequels having established something big and then authors having to write their stories around it.

Old Post Mar 7th, 2020 05:03 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zentrex
but the guidebook to Episode 1 said that the robes were designed to show that the Jedi came in peace, and when they put their arms in their sleeves, it would be impossible to reach for their lightsabers, so people know they won't attack.
You have that quote handy?

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 12:56 PM
Zentrex
Hi!

Sadly, no. I remember it was on Qui-Gon's page if you happen to stumble upon "The Phantom Menace Visual Dictionary."

I did find this though:
(please log in to view the image)
Under "Jedi Gear:"
The basic jedi clothing...speaks to the simplicity vested n jedi philosophy and carries overtones of their missions as travelers. Individual jedi keep utility belt field gear to a minimum. As initiates are taught at the great Temple, jedi reputations are based on their spirits and not on material toppings.

Kinda nifty.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 05:47 PM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zenwolf

All I'm seeing about the robes is that they show the pledge Jedi to serve and protect even the most humble galactic citizen.

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 08:18 PM
Click here to Send Zenwolf a Private Message Find more posts by Zenwolf Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Same. thumb up

Nothing in Qui-Gon's bio mentions the robes -- but there's a little blurb about them in the following page of Kenobi's bio.

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Old Post Mar 8th, 2020 08:23 PM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Well, this is embarrassing.

But I'm confident I didn't dream this up. There might be something about how they put their arms in their sleeves...? Is there a section that talks about both Kenobi and Obi-Wan? Something about the Jedi in general? Is it actually from the "Complete Visual Dictionary" that covers all 6 films? (probably not that last one).

Old Post Mar 9th, 2020 04:21 AM