KMC Forums

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Already a member? Log-in!

Home » Star Wars » Star Wars: Literature & Expanded Universe » Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??

Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??
Started by: Eli Vanto

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (4): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

Disparity between Yoda and Sidious??

As of ROTS, were Yoda and Palpatine generally considered as equally matched, or was there a gap in power between them?

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 12:42 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

I got the impression that Yoda was better in sabers and in the force.

The price of fame is high and the Thing cant pay the way.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 12:45 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Palpatine has been stated to have ultimately gotten the better of Yoda across multiple sources...

The SW Databank states- "Darth Sidious overwhelmed Yoda with the destructive energy of the dark side, and the Jedi Master fled Coruscant.":
https://i.imgur.com/7nzC07o.jpg

Jedi vs. Sith (2016) initially states that the two were "equally fierce", but then goes on to state- "[Yoda] realized that he could not defeat Sidious this time.":
https://i.imgur.com/uPJC8WH.jpg

Galactic Maps (2016) states- "[Yoda] is unable to defeat the Sith Lord in combat.":
https://i.imgur.com/V6USqEt.jpg

The updated Character Encyclopedia (2016) states- "Even the diminutive Jedi's amazing strength and speed, however, are not a match for the devastating fury of a Sith Lord.":
https://i.imgur.com/FbL07II.jpg

Ultimate Star Wars (2019) states- "The full power of the light side and the dark side of the Force is on display during Yoda's clash with Emperor Palpatine. Outmatched, Yoda retreats...":
https://i.imgur.com/MAGKmAL.jpg

And Yoda's timeline in Ultimate Star Wars (2019) states- "Yoda tries to stop Palpatine, the new Emperor, from taking control. He loses, and barely escapes with his life.":
https://i.imgur.com/tfBV1KG.jpg

"I am tired of Earth. These people.
I am tired of being caught in the tangle of their lives."

Last edited by Galan007 on May 14th, 2020 at 06:16 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 02:14 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Eli Vanto
Tactical Prodigy

thumb up

So how far above Sidious would you say Yoda is in sabers, and how far above Yoda is Sidious in the force?

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 03:05 AM
Click here to Send Eli Vanto a Private Message Find more posts by Eli Vanto Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
relentless1
Dark Overlord of KMC

ok but location plays a factor; Sidious was at a disadvantage in sabers because the tight space they fought in (chancellors pod) allowed zero movement for Sidious.

Conversely, Yoda was at a disadvantage in their Force battle because of his size, he couldn't quite get to Palpatine and he was constantly on the low ground, even them being blown apart at the very end, Yoda flew further based on his size.

Id love to see a fight between the two of them on neutral ground, someplace like the Geonosian Arena then wed get to see who's better because honestly, as of ep 3 they are so close in all aspects that it came down to terrain as a deciding factor in their actual duel

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 06:02 AM
Click here to Send relentless1 a Private Message Find more posts by relentless1 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Zentrex
Hi!

Does location play a factor? I don't know if that was really on Lucas' mind when he wrote that scene. I mean, we see Palpy hurling pods like a madman, when Yoda puts all his concentration on throwing one.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 07:16 AM
Click here to Send Zentrex a Private Message Find more posts by Zentrex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Palpatine had an OH ****!!! Look several times on his face showing me Yoda was superior.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 10:15 AM
Click here to Send juggernaut74 a Private Message Find more posts by juggernaut74 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Zentrex
Does location play a factor? I don't know if that was really on Lucas' mind when he wrote that scene. I mean, we see Palpy hurling pods like a madman, when Yoda puts all his concentration on throwing one.
Sidious was throwing downward with the aid of gravity. Yoda stopped the downwards force of one and spun it(Sidious wasn't) upwards against gravity with accuracy to the point Sidious was like OH SH!T!!!

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 10:51 AM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

I never understood why Yoda left. He was at the very least equal if not slightly stronger. He had nothing left to lose, so why run? I think he could have possible defeated Siddy

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 11:21 AM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Originally posted by Eli Vanto
thumb up

So how far above Sidious would you say Yoda is in sabers, and how far above Yoda is Sidious in the force?
The disparity between them wasn't vast(in both areas), but it was enough.

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Palpatine had an OH ****!!! Look several times on his face showing me Yoda was superior.
"OH ****!!!" looks of surprise are ambiguous, and certainly do not imply inferiority.

...Especially given the abundance of canon evidence saying the exact opposite.

Originally posted by Total Warrior
I never understood why Yoda left. He was at the very least equal if not slightly stronger. He had nothing left to lose, so why run? I think he could have possible defeated Siddy
I mean, Yoda went into the battle fully prepared to kill Palpatine: "Destroy the Sith, we MUST" -- but he ultimately fled because he knew he couldn't win. If/when Yoda had died trying to defeat Palpatine, it would have crippled the Jedi Order even more, and pretty much guaranteed that they would never rise again.

In canon, almost every possible source indicates that Yoda was "overwhelmed by" Palpatine, "could not defeat" Palpatine, was "not a match for" Palpatine, and "lost to" Palpatine.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 6th, 2020 at 11:49 AM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 11:47 AM
Click here to Send Galan007 a Private Message Find more posts by Galan007 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Scizard

But the RoTS script isn't canon? I think in galaxy of adventures or whatever it's called he still has it as well.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 01:24 PM
Click here to Send Scizard a Private Message Find more posts by Scizard Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

That's true.

Palpatine was still shown with his saber in this flashback sequence from Galaxy of Adventures (2019):
(please log in to view the image)

And this clip states- "[Palpatine] is even skilled enough with the dark side of the Force to defeat Jedi Grand Master Yoda in a lightsaber duel.":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kstNsp5n_eU&t=0m12s

So in canon, he may have just been superior to Yoda across the board.

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 6th, 2020 at 02:19 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 01:57 PM
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Total Warrior
I agree but it seems 2nd hand kiddy shows nobody is going to watch is canon now over the films.

Last edited by juggernaut74 on Apr 6th, 2020 at 04:52 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 04:49 PM
Sheev
The All-Sith

laughing

So butthurt.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 05:44 PM
Click here to Send Sheev a Private Message Find more posts by Sheev Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

I'm unsure how Galaxy of Adventures even contradicts the film, tbh?

In the film, it is never shown, stated, or implied that Yoda disarmed Palpatine in sabers -- that *only* happened in the original RotS script and junior novel(which is, ironically, contradicted by the proper RotS novelization.)

Galaxy of Adventures(which IS canon, like it or not) simply presents the idea that Yoda may not have disarmed Palpatine at all. Palpatine could have simply chosen to put his saber away, in favor of using his superior Force power against Yoda instead. This notion is further cemented by GoA outright stating that Palpatine WAS able to defeat Yoda in a lightsaber duel... Along with the numerous canon sources flatly stating that Palpatine was >.

I don't get why you'd just... Ignore all of that? confused

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 6th, 2020 at 06:50 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 06:34 PM
Total Warrior
Dark Councilor

But in the movie Sid doesn’t indeed have his lightsaber, so..

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 06:37 PM
Click here to Send Total Warrior a Private Message Find more posts by Total Warrior Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Galan007
|Quantum Observer|

Right.

But given the [canon] info we have, is it not possible that Palpatine chose to sheathe his saber in between the film's prolonged cut-scenes, in order to attack Yoda with the Force instead?

Last edited by Galan007 on Apr 6th, 2020 at 06:51 PM

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 06:43 PM
Dominis

Originally posted by juggernaut74
Sidious was throwing downward with the aid of gravity. Yoda stopped the downwards force of one and spun it(Sidious wasn't) upwards against gravity with accuracy to the point Sidious was like OH SH!T!!!

Sidious tossed three above his head, against gravity.

Yoda spent most of the TK match trying not to get crushed, even losing his balance in the process. Yoda was only able to counter attack while Sidious was busy laughing and underestimating him.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 07:46 PM
Click here to Send Dominis a Private Message Find more posts by Dominis Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
juggernaut74
Bigsexy

Originally posted by Dominis
Sidious tossed three above his head, against gravity.

Yoda spent most of the TK match trying not to get crushed, even losing his balance in the process. Yoda was only able to counter attack while Sidious was busy laughing and underestimating him.
Sidious had the high ground and was throwing the pods downwards. Yoda caught one stopping the downwards force and put some stank on it and sent it directly upwards at Palpatine making him relocate to a safer position. I don't see a force disparity there.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 09:07 PM
quanchi112
Disney

Equal. Film supports it.

Old Post Apr 6th, 2020 09:16 PM
Click here to Send quanchi112 a Private Message Find more posts by quanchi112 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote