KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Broken PS2

Broken PS2
Started by: Ken Kenobi

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
LanceWindu

Broken PS2

My PS2 isn't working!!!

I'm voiding my warranty, so I can take it apart and fix it.

Most likely it's just dirt over the lens, but my disc tray is loud too, so I'm going to clean the rods and tracks and lube em up with some WD-40.

I found some great guides at Tweak3D.Net to help me through this process.

I just hope it works, cause I just got a new control and haven't had a chance to use it yet.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 01:06 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Marcellus
executioner

hmmm it sounds like you know what your doing, so itll probably be running again soon.
the little CD tray on my PS2 somhow broke..the lttle logo fell off, dosent matter it still works. I had a PSX and it didnt work for a full YEAR, then all of the sudden started working
btw i found that a lttle windex on a tissue can clean up a CD like nobodys business

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 01:35 AM
Marcellus is currently offline Click here to Send Marcellus a Private Message Find more posts by Marcellus Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

So far no good.

I keep getting a Disc Read Error.

Also when I go into the System Setting, all the numbers for the date and time are glitching like nobodies business.

If anyone can help me, please let me know.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 01:50 AM
LanceWindu is currently offline Click here to Send LanceWindu a Private Message Find more posts by LanceWindu Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Peach
mordrem

Eek, that really sucks.

That happened to our PS2 last year, somehow (I think our stupid dog tripped over a cord from the controller) it got knocked off the TV and the disc tray would get stuck and it kept giving us a disc read error. We ended up sending it to Sony and they fixed it for free smile

How did your PS2 get messed up? Did something happen to it or did it just randomly stop working?

under the pale tree - my [email protected]

I can hear the call of the dragon...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:07 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

It randomly did it.

It's done it before, and I stopped playing it, then one day it was working fine again, after I let it sit for a couple weeks.

I was just able to get it to play Big Mutha Truckers (DVD-ROM) and then decided to try Star Wars Jedi Starfighter (CD-ROM) it didn't work.

Damnit, I am so mad right now.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:10 AM
Peach
mordrem

Hmm....I know they have these CDs that are supposed to clean the lens or something (don't ask me how they work) but we got one of those when our PS2 was broken and tried it. The laser alignment in ours ended up being off (which is why it wouldn't work) so the cleaner disc didn't do anything, but give that a try and see if that works. It may help.

And most times when I've heard of PS2s not working they'd not play DVD-ROM games but would play CD-ROM games just fine...that's really strange.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:13 AM
Peach is currently offline Click here to Send Peach a Private Message Find more posts by Peach Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

My bad...

It's the CD-ROM working, not the DVD-ROM, I got the two types mixed up.

Anyway to get the DVD-ROM to work?

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:19 AM
Peach
mordrem

Not that I know of...sorry I can't be of more help.

Try calling Sony tomorrow and see if they have any explanations that could help, I guess...

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:32 AM
LanceWindu

****in' ey.

I only have one CD-ROM game, Big Mutha Truckers, and that game sucks.

I want to throw this stupid machine against a wall!!!!!

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 02:52 AM
Tex
Yumsz

Back when I still had my Gamecube I got a scary red looking error message saying my disks could not be read.
I called the number on the back, gave the nice girl my serial number, she EXTENDED my warranty, gave me the address to a repair shop 5 minutes from my house, went to the shop, turned in my old Gamecube and they gave me a NEW one! eek!

Nintendo really knows how to treat their customers! thumb up

.....( My Cube had a defective hardrive that was part of the initial batch when it first came to the US) wink

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 03:58 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

The thing is, my PS2 is an old one anyways.

I'd say it's an early 2001 version.

My warranty was dead anyways, plus I bought it from a pawn shop, and the serial number had been scratched off.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 04:16 PM
alic88
Barzakh

hey lance. damn this problem has been in my ps2 for ages, and it is so damn annoying. however there is 1 way 2 fix it. open the box and clean the lens with COTTON. c if that works

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 04:50 PM
alic88 is currently offline Click here to Send alic88 a Private Message Find more posts by alic88 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

i think everyone should learn to take apart their PS2 (or other consoles) and give it a good cleaning with a can of compressed air. I did it to my xbox (which i treat like gold) and i found all kinds of gross dust and grime...i was amazed it still worked

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 05:00 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Tex
Yumsz

Horrible! Having a PS2 is like having an old car!
I'm suprised the PS2 doesn't require monthly oil changes! stick out tongue

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 05:09 PM
Tex is currently offline Click here to Send Tex a Private Message Find more posts by Tex Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
LanceWindu

quote:
Originally posted by alic88
hey lance. damn this problem has been in my ps2 for ages, and it is so damn annoying. however there is 1 way 2 fix it. open the box and clean the lens with COTTON. c if that works

I did clean it with cotton and rubbing alcohol, like I was told to by some experts.

I am able to play the majority of my games, but only if I turn Diagnosis on every time I turn the machine on, and I have to wait twice as long for loading times.

The one game I wanted it to work with, the only game I got the second control for, Star Wars Jedi Starfighter, doesn't work, at all.

Old Post Jan 30th, 2004 05:45 PM
Storm
Black belt BJJ

My mom accidentally dropped the PS 2 on the floor. I could insert the disks but always got a black screen. Still under warranty, I send it to Sony and they repaired it for free. But somehow, it plays the PS 1 games and DVD' s but it refuses to let me play my PS 2 games. I always get an error message saying that the disk cannot be read. The disks should work fine though. I checked them on scratches or anything but there' s nothing to see. Any suggestions before I send it to Sony again?

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 01:19 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Spearhead
Prophet

Um...is it a valid version of the game? Or is it a game imported from a different country? because if its a PAL or w/e your ps2 might not be able to play that format.

I'm a signature!

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 01:22 PM
Spearhead is currently offline Click here to Send Spearhead a Private Message Find more posts by Spearhead Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Storm
Black belt BJJ

It' s definitely a valid version and before the PS 2 got dropped on the floor and repaired, everything worked just fine.

I am not driven by people’ s praise and I am not slowed down by people’ s criticism.
You only live once. But if you live it right, once is enough. Wrong. We only die once, we live every day!
Make poverty history.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 02:37 PM
Storm is currently offline Click here to Send Storm a Private Message Find more posts by Storm Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Linkalicious
Iran...I Walked...I Jihad

i'd send it back...or maybe you can get lucky and they'll just send you a new one

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 02:48 PM
Linkalicious is currently offline Click here to Send Linkalicious a Private Message Find more posts by Linkalicious Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
[D_A]Kherr

That really sucks! I'm just glad my Gamecube still works after being in a REALLY DUSTY AND DEBRIS filled hole in the ceiling. I don't really have a clue on how to fix it.

Old Post Feb 2nd, 2004 07:37 PM
[D_A]Kherr is currently offline Click here to Send [D_A]Kherr a Private Message Find more posts by [D_A]Kherr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote