KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » Why Do Some LCD's Look Grainy/Blurry For Some Games?

Why Do Some LCD's Look Grainy/Blurry For Some Games?
Started by: Shutter Control

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why Do Some LCD's Look Grainy/Blurry For Some Games?

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...10020215AAW0sSg
quote:
Can someone please explain to me why LCD's are supposed to have such better picture quality than regular televisions? Cause I just got a 32 inch Sylvania LCD HDTV for Christmas, and a LOT of the stuff I've tried to watch on it really looks like crap. In fact, it seems to me like for watching most things, my regular old crap tv produced a much smoother picture!

For instance, I have an Xbox 360, and the other day I tried to view a picture slideshow on it. When my xbox used to be plugged into my old standard def tube tv, which is the same size (minus the extra widescreen space on the LCD), the pictures looked great, really clear, good colors. Now, on the LCD, they all come up looking kinda pixelated, ya know? Like the colors aren't really all that smooth, they don't seem to blend into eachother seamlessly like on the old tv, and the image is kinda grainy looking. It looks almost like a painting or a drawing of a picture, as opposed to a real life picture!

Is High Definition the only format that is actually watchable on an HDTV LCD? I mean, I've tried watching standard definition widescreen DVDs too, and they all look really grainy, and if you get up close to the screen you can really see how the little patches of pixellated color don't quite blend really well. And an old Sopranos Season 1 DVD looked nearly unwatchable, it was so pixellated and blurry. Does my HDTV just kinda suck, or is this a compromise with ALL LCD televisions? Cause of the pixels?

I've also been to tons of stores and seen lots of these tv's, and they all seem to have the same image problems--even the HD channels in the stores come out looking grainy still. Even all the supposedly high end Sony's and Auos things had the same problem as my tv. Is this all HD is? Cause it doesn't look crystal clear to me, anywhere that I've seen it. I also pressed one of the store guys to come up with an answer. They had a basketball game playing in HD, and it was so pixely up close you could almost see little whiteish pixel silhouettes around the players. I pointed out all of the little pixel blurs on all the HDTV's, and after much arguing, he said it was the best I was going to get...

He did show me a Blu Ray version of some animated film on HDTV, and that looked awesome. As do all of my Xbox games, when I play them on my HDTV. But is that really all it's good for?

Also, are rear projection HDTV's any smoother looking than LCD HDTV's? I really can't stand how phony this thing is making everything I try to watch look. Any superior knowledge or opinions would be appreciated, as I'm thinking of returning the tv soon, or trading it in for a rear projection HDTV.

Thanks guys.

Is from that link, and the thread's title is edited from the title in the link since it has to do with my 360 I connect the TV to, and I was agreeing with most if not all that he's said. Even when the source is HD and not SD, the crappiness of some LCD's show fairly well from up close or a distance. Mine is a 26" Sony BRAVIA, and I made the distance sitting away to be 10". Besides the fact it looks nice for its design, and nice where it is, and makes the room look nice, the picture is pixelated (not saying it has pixels which it obviously does) but people should know what I mean. You can see the jaggedness and it's annoying.

Why do I not see this on my 1280 x 1024 CRT monitor, which has fairly around the same amount of pixels as my new LCD TV? I can be 2 feet from this 17" monitor and I will be hardpressed to start even noticing pixels, but from 10 feet away on a 26" LCD TV, having a 1366 x 768 resolution I can clearly see the effect the pixels are making. Is it because it's a 720p, and this CRT monitor is interlaced (I believe all CRT's are but this is for sure, because up close I can see the scan lines going from left to right/bottom to top) making it...I don't know...720i? Regardless, I find it hard to believe 2 displays (26" LCD TV and 17" CRT monitor) having around the same number of pixels, one being p or progressive, while the other is i or interlaced seem incredibly different, with the interlaced looking far better (ironically, because progressive is supposed to be >>>> interlaced) though when I look at my laptop screen, which is a 15.6" LCD screen, that supposedly also has a 1366 x 768 resolution AS THE LCD TV, it looks better than both displays I've talked about.

WTF?! Logically this is supposed to be no better looking than my TV, though why does my TV look like crap? I can stand 4 feet away from it and I'd rather look at a wall. It is pixelated as hell to be called "HD" and it is not because the source is bad. Tekken 6 runs clearly (meaning, obviously, because it sure as hell isn't clear) in 720p yet looks light years better on a CRT monitor that has around the same amount of resolution as the TV the game looks crappy on. My ass. I'm not sure why there's this gaping difference. Is it because I'm comparing 15-17" displays to a 26" one? I'm not sure. I do know I've went super-up-close to ALL monitors so the size thing shouldn't matter. My TV shouldn't look so much different for being a mere 10 inches bigger, but it does.

Well, thanks for reading. All this week I've been thinking hard about TV's and getting TV's (for my console, because I don't have blu-ray players/HD programming).

Man, is this really "HD"? How old is 720p anyway? laughing Don't get me wrong, I know I've had some level of "HD" in my place always since this Sony Trinitron CRT monitor has been with me for years and it's 1280 x 1024 which definitely qualifies to be HD (720p, or 1366 x 768 has less overall pixels), yet, I've yet to see a level of HD that is worse than on my 26" Sony BRAVIA. It is really disappointing, especially since this same TV was nominated as being the best or second best 26" LCD's out there that you can buy. Maybe I am hallucinating, but I doubt it. My eyes are good and young, and I doubt me seeing crap, and grainy texture on one screen and not on two other screens with the same resolution means they need to get checked.

Last edited by FWahMaN on Dec 17th, 2009 at 09:24 AM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 09:14 AM
FWahMaN is currently offline Click here to Send FWahMaN a Private Message Find more posts by FWahMaN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Juk3n
Devils Advocate

1 word, Pixellence stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 12:18 PM
Juk3n is currently offline Click here to Send Juk3n a Private Message Find more posts by Juk3n Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

Depends on the media (the actual CD data) and/or the quality of the LCD screen and video chip.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 12:35 PM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

The bigger the resolution, the smaller the display = better image quality. A 17 inch monitor displaying the same amount of pixels is obviously going to look much sharper and better than a 26 inch TV/monitor displaying the same amount.

This usually isn't an issue when it comes to monitors(which are usually used to display PC games), because of a much better range of resolutions the said games can render at natively.

Last edited by ArtificialGlory on Dec 17th, 2009 at 01:08 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 01:05 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

CRT's do not have pixels. They're similar to tube TV's.

They have an electron gun that is deflected by coils that hit phosphors which releases light. Light goes through red/blue/green colour and that's the image. It's regulated by a shadow mask/aparture grill that blocks unneeded light from hitting phosphors that you don't want to get hit.

As AG said, if its the same resolution an extra 10 inches will make a different in how the display works. Especially if its lower than the native resolution of the LCD monitor. I just tried it with my monitor that's running at 1600x1050 (my native) and moved it to 1024x800 something or another, it looks like shit.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 03:37 PM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

As far as gaming goes and as far as I'm used to, 1366x768 or 1280x720 is way too low for a such a large screen like 26". Monitors at that size have a native resolution of 1920x1080/1920x1200. That's quite a massive jump from 768/720p.

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 03:50 PM
ArtificialGlory is currently offline Click here to Send ArtificialGlory a Private Message Find more posts by ArtificialGlory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
AsbestosFlaygon
The Original One

As long as you have a HDTV capable of supporting 1080p (it doesn't matter what size of the screen is), and the games that support such resolution, it won't look grainy/blurry at all.

"Farewell, Damos... Ash, Pikachu... And you. All of my beloved." -- Arceus

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 02:02 AM
AsbestosFlaygon is currently offline Click here to Send AsbestosFlaygon a Private Message Find more posts by AsbestosFlaygon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

quote: (post)
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
As long as you have a HDTV capable of supporting 1080p (it doesn't matter what size of the screen is), and the games that support such resolution, it won't look grainy/blurry at all.

Actually, even 1080p would end up looking blurry/grainy if the screen size was large enough. However, this is a non-issue atm.

You see, that's the problem. There are very few precious console games that actually natively support 1080p.

Bottom line: take up PC gaming stick out tongue

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 02:11 AM
dadudemon

Originally posted by Smasandian

They are the same damn thing. CRT is a renaming of "tube" type monitors. TVs are monitors. btw.

Cathode Ray Tube.

To address the thread...

Try using HDMI. no expression

Make sure the system is set to a 1080p resolution, as well.

There should be nothing but an improvement.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 02:33 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Smasandian
Smell the Ashes

If you want to be an *******, they're the same thing.

Old Post Dec 18th, 2009 04:22 AM
Smasandian is currently offline Find more posts by Smasandian Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Originally posted by Juk3n
1 word, Pixellence stick out tongue
mad

Depends on the media (the actual CD data) and/or the quality of the LCD screen and video chip.
All at 720p.

Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
The bigger the resolution, the smaller the display = better image quality. A 17 inch monitor displaying the same amount of pixels is obviously going to look much sharper and better than a 26 inch TV/monitor displaying the same amount.
That is true, and that is why from a distance, actually, the 26" seems to be the same in clarity. I just started noticing this recently.

This usually isn't an issue when it comes to monitors(which are usually used to display PC games), because of a much better range of resolutions the said games can render at natively.
You mean, the different resolution options you can choose from? I wonder why TV's don't have these resolution options.

They have an electron gun that is deflected by coils that hit phosphors which releases light. Light goes through red/blue/green colour and that's the image. It's regulated by a shadow mask/aparture grill that blocks unneeded light from hitting phosphors that you don't want to get hit.

As AG said, if its the same resolution an extra 10 inches will make a different in how the display works. Especially if its lower than the native resolution of the LCD monitor. I just tried it with my monitor that's running at 1600x1050 (my native) and moved it to 1024x800 something or another, it looks like shit.
I'm just wondering what the 1280 x 1024 thing is then. They are representing pixels, right? 1024 has to represent something.

As far as gaming goes and as far as I'm used to, 1366x768 or 1280x720 is way too low for a such a large screen like 26".
This is very interesting, because, just about everyone I've heard from said "anything smaller then FORTY inches does not require 1080p" yet I'm reading someone say 26" is TOO LARGE of a screen to be in 720p? confused

Well, this is the chart I got info from:

(please log in to view the image)

Up close I think it still would, because 1080p just has a little under double the resolution of 720p, meaning I will see a little over half of the distortion up close. I guess what will fix that is HDMI...oh well, blame Sony for making 32" as the smallest size for thei 1080p TV's. I can live with this to be honest. I watch my TV from 10 feet and not up close.

Last edited by FWahMaN on Dec 19th, 2009 at 03:14 AM

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 03:11 AM
FWahMaN is currently offline Click here to Send FWahMaN a Private Message Find more posts by FWahMaN Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Seeing as I'm greater than ~ 7.6 feet away from my screen (I'm at least greater than 9 now) the 720p vs 1080p debate shouldn't be something to worry about.

Except when I like to go up to my screen for whatever reason. sad

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 03:28 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Originally posted by Shutter Control

You mean, the different resolution options you can choose from? I wonder why TV's don't have these resolution options.

Hmm. A TV I bought recently had quite a few resolution options when hooked up to my PC and acting as a monitor. However, the majority of console games only have 1 or 2 native resolutions(the upper one is usually 720p). Same goes for TV programmes.

I'm just wondering what the 1280 x 1024 thing is then. They are representing pixels, right? 1024 has to represent something.

Yep, they're still "pixels". Resolution is defined by that.

This is very interesting, because, just about everyone I've heard from said "anything smaller then FORTY inches does not require 1080p" yet I'm reading someone say 26" is TOO LARGE of a screen to be in 720p? confused

I don't know, but native 1920x1080/1200 looks infinitely better than native 720p on even a smaller display than a 26". I'm talking about gaming here, of course.

Old Post Dec 19th, 2009 02:47 PM
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Are cotton balls safe to use on LCD screens? I just want to be sure...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 12:04 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

Are cotton balls safe to use on LCD screens? I just want to be sure...

I don't know. I use special wipes.

I'm 99% sure they are safe though.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 12:17 AM
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

99% about cotton balls or what you use?

To be honest, I don't see what could be softer than cotton...it's effin cotton yo!

no expression

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 03:12 AM
ArtificialGlory
God-Emperor of Eternity

99% about cotton balls or what you use?

To be honest, I don't see what could be softer than cotton...it's effin cotton yo!
no expression

Yea, I meant the cotton balls.

Ehh... heh.. cotton balls...

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 03:17 AM
dadudemon

If you want to be an *******, they're the same thing.

No, no a**hole required. They are the same thing regardless of pedanticalness.

You're supposed to use a special cloth for LCD/plasma screens. It should come with the monitor itself. The "solution" to clean the monitor is water and alcohol. There are special lcd/plasma solutions for sale...and they do work better than mixing your own alcohol and water.

You're not supposed to use cotton as it supposedly cuases really tiny scratches and, over time, will cause the screen to lose it's luster/see throughedness. (lulz)

Last edited by dadudemon on Dec 24th, 2009 at 03:29 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 03:24 AM
dadudemon is currently offline Click here to Send dadudemon a Private Message Find more posts by dadudemon Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FWahMaN
Restricted

Account Restricted

Well, I don't remember one time I bought an LCD screen (PSP, Laptop, and now TV) and was given a special cloth with it.

Oh, wow, cotton scratches even LCD screens and CDs? Jesus! How sensitive are these things made to be?! I can't believe it - I thought they were between plastic and metal in hardness and I learned in a class (Earth and Space science) something of lower durability can't scratch something greater. Cotton can scratch LCD screens? My god. I guess they make them so sensitive so you can pay more for their use of shoddy material...

I was also going to ask, are there TV screen protectors that are like the DS and PSP ones? You know the ones that are like clear paper and are flexible? Currently googling this but if you guys want to help me out...

Last edited by FWahMaN on Dec 24th, 2009 at 04:10 AM

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 04:07 AM
dadudemon

Well, I don't remember one time I bought an LCD screen (PSP, Laptop, and now TV) and was given a special cloth with it.

Oh, wow, cotton scratches even LCD screens and CDs? Jesus! How sensitive are these things made to be?! I can't believe it - I thought they were between plastic and metal in hardness and I learned in a class (Earth and Space science) something of lower durability can't scratch something greater. Cotton can scratch LCD screens? My god. I guess they make them so sensitive so you can pay more for their use of shoddy material...

I was also going to ask, are there TV screen protectors that are like the DS and PSP ones? You know the ones that are like clear paper and are flexible? Currently googling this but if you guys want to help me out...

Yes.

In fact...

(please log in to view the image)

I saw an even better picture on gizmodo. Lemme see if I can find it.

Old Post Dec 24th, 2009 04:21 AM