KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Misc » Computer / Video Games Discussion » The MSX: Did we get left out?

The MSX: Did we get left out?
Started by: Darth Jello

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

The MSX: Did we get left out?

So as (hopefully) most of you know, in Japan and Europe there was a popular home computer called the MSX that is now mostly known for the rather bizarre and awesome library of 8-bit games that Square, Hudsonsoft, and especially Konami released for it and that as far as I know, the US is the only country that is not getting Virtual Console support for it. It's the platform that first gave us Bomberman, Parodius, Puyo Puyo, Metal Gear, and Eggerland/Adventures of Lolo.
I've played quite a few of the games and despite their weirdness and difficulty they're awesome. I would describe the system specs as pretty much 8-bit but with more colors available and enhanced sound like on the Famicom Disk System. Like a merger of the Famicom Disk System, the NES, and the Master System with the best features of all of them and keyboard interface.
I've played and beaten the following games-
Final Fantasy
Vampire Killer (a prequel/bizarre remake released 1 month after Castlevania)
Contra
The Real Metal Gear (via MSG 3)
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Most of the MSX ports and games are quite different from the NES/arcade equivalents and give the impression that the platform was basically used by game designers for experimentation. You know, would Final Fantasy work with a weird color scheme and the glitches fixed? Would Castlevania work as a puzzle game? Would a stealth game work? Would Contra work with a lifebar instead of lives?

Anyone else play any MSX games and feel left out?

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Last edited by Darth Jello on Dec 17th, 2009 at 05:20 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 05:17 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Ushgarak
Paladin

Co-Admin

The English-speaking market for the MSX was tiny, is the problem. It was big in neither the US nor the UK. They're only going to VC games that used to have a mrket in the region released in. Ok... the Neo geo is an exception there but that was actively soguht after in its day, being a luxury, so it gets a back door in. The MSX was never soguht after because in the US the home computer market was non-existant and in the UK, the Commodore and Spectrum shut it out.

Where are the Spectrum games, is what I want to know. Ironically, a big slice of MSX games were Spectrum ports.

"We've got maybe seconds before Darth Rosenberg grinds everybody into Jawa burgers and not one of you buds has the midi-chlorians to stop her!"

"You've never had any TINY bit of sex, have you?"

BtVS

Last edited by Ushgarak on Dec 17th, 2009 at 05:51 PM

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 05:48 PM
Ushgarak is currently offline Click here to Send Ushgarak a Private Message Find more posts by Ushgarak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Jello
Cheese Spelunker

I figure they would at least do it because of the popularity of Castlevania and Metal Gear, especially with Subsistence's second disk being harder and harder to come by.

Wonder when will it'll all be over...
Living in a void when the void grows colder...
Wonder when it'll all be over?
Will you be laughing when it's over?

Old Post Dec 17th, 2009 06:05 PM
Darth Jello is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Jello a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Jello Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote