KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Spider-Man vs. Firelord - the rematch

Spider-Man vs. Firelord - the rematch
Started by: demigawd

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (7): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
demigawd
Board Scientist

Spider-Man vs. Firelord - the rematch

I know that when people think of Plot Induced Stupidity, this is the textbook example. It's the legendary, prototypical fight that proves that sometimes...writers just get it completely wrong.

But is it?

Firelord isn't actually the first or only herald-level being Spider-Man has gotten the best of, or who have proven unable to defeat him. Let's look at some other victims:

Gravitron
Titania
Hulk
Magneto
Juggernaut
Silver Surfer
Adam Warlock
The X-Men
The Fantastic Four
Thanos
Eric Masterson Thor
Beta Ray Bill
Loki

So...what is it about Spider-Man? And if a character's power is best measured by his victories...does a victims list like this make Spider-Man one of the most effective heroes in comicdom?

Let's cast a blind eye to this being Spider-Man. Look at the victory list above. Based on that list alone, could this mystery character beat Firelord?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 09:45 AM
demigawd is currently offline Click here to Send demigawd a Private Message Find more posts by demigawd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

What the?

Juggernaut trapped in cement? So much for the foward moving power of Cyttorak.

The Fantastic Four? You mean where they're all like "hey stop we wanna talk to you" and he's running around them?

The X-men? I hope you're not talking secret wars when they were depowered.

Just he fact that you put these in makes me question the rest. He probably had cosmic powers for a couple more.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 09:49 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demigawd
Board Scientist

Juggernaut was trapped in cement, but he couldn't get out for some reason. Spider-Man still beat him. The FF started fighting him fairly quickly and it didn't make much difference - they lost. The X-men weren't depowered in the Secret Wars - what makes you say that? And he didn't have cosmic powers for any of the fights I listed.

My point is that it appears PIS is a savior to a point - but when you have a list this extensive, isn't there more to it than that? Or is it really just chronic PIS. Could someone with this resume believably beat Firelord?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 09:59 AM
demigawd is currently offline Click here to Send demigawd a Private Message Find more posts by demigawd Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

Juggernaut couldn't move for some reason, I guess Class 100 characters can't match the mighty power of drying cement.

If you really think the FF were fighting, then I suggest you read that book again. Guys take on Celestials but all of a sudden friendly neighborhood Spiderman is too much for them.

X-men not depowered? I guess that's why Nightcrawler just teleported right out of the webbin... oh no wait he didn't. I'm sure there's more examples of crap with that one I can't remember right now.

It's not even PIS in some cases, It's just plain bad. Like the writers have never been to school or something or were totally baked.

To answer you question, sure someone with that resume could beat Firelord, the only problem is that the resume is so questionable.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:07 AM
MERCILOUS is currently offline Click here to Send MERCILOUS a Private Message Find more posts by MERCILOUS Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
demigawd
Board Scientist

The fact that Nightcrawler didn't teleport out of the webbing isn't because he was de-powered - he just...didn't. For the same reason why Flash gets hit by boomerangs and Superman gets hit by people who don't move a fraction of his speed. People make tactical errors all the time. The fact remains, it's canon. Ditto with Juggernaut being trapped, or FF suddenly being uncoordinated and amateurish. Or any of the other characters here losing or failing to win in various ways.

I understand what you're saying, and I'm not disagreeing with it, either. People can find ways of explaining away every single one of these fights - "so and so wasn't really trying" "so and so underestimated him" "so and so was de-powered", but when it happens THAT often, with THAT many people...some of the most powerful in comics, tasting defeat against one character, what's going on?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:17 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Why didn't Juggernaut do the "flex of power!" like he did when he was dipped into molten steel?
He let it dry and just flexed his muscles and the steel shattered off of him.

But...no, Spiderman can't beat firelord.

Also, add to your list the time when he somehow K.O'd Strange with a pot.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:22 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

Hey Spiderman vs. Firelord is all good as long as you don't forget to mention that Firelord purposefully let his flames down, got crushed by a building and blown up.

I just wonder what factors went into those other fights.

And what's so hard to beleive about chronic stupidity. Are we forgetting that we're talking about marvel. Maximum Clonage anyone? Hero's Reborn anyone? Onslaugth anyone?

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:31 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Can Spider-Man beat anyone on this list (we'll add Strange to that...didn't know about that one. What happened? lol)? If he can't...do we then disregard these fights? ALL of them? Based on what? Is that fair?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:33 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

All I'm saying is tell the whole damn story. Everyone bitches as soon as anyone says Batman beat Superman. Don't forget the kryptonite and the throwing of Lois off a building and all that other stuff and it's all good though. But all of sudden Spidey beating Firelord is all good without any explanation?

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:36 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

quote: (post)
Originally posted by MERCILOUS
Hey Spiderman vs. Firelord is all good as long as you don't forget to mention that Firelord purposefully let his flames down, got crushed by a building and blown up.

I just wonder what factors went into those other fights.

And what's so hard to beleive about chronic stupidity. Are we forgetting that we're talking about marvel. Maximum Clonage anyone? Hero's Reborn anyone? Onslaugth anyone?

There may or may not be factors for all of these fights. Factors are frequently in the eye of the reader. Hungry Galactus, anybody? Superman holding back, perhaps? Surfer being a pacifist? What makes, for example, Doom KOing Warlock with one hit a huge part of his god-like legend, but Spider-Man doing the same the subject of scorn and ridicule, especially if Spider-Man has shown a better track record for beating beings on that level than Doom?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:37 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Based on circumstance, anyone can beat anyone if all the odds are for them, but in a fight like the ones here, he would lose to everyone on the list.

The Strange fight was bad, he just grabbed a potted plant with his web and knocked Strange over the head with it.
That great an all but, Strange has shields up at all times....writers forget about that.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:38 AM
long pig is currently offline Click here to Send long pig a Private Message Find more posts by long pig Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

Don't be foolish. The difference between Doom and Spidey is that Doom creates the factors, while they just come to Spidey.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:39 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

All I'm saying is tell the whole damn story. Everyone bitches as soon as anyone says Batman beat Superman. Don't forget the kryptonite and the throwing of Lois off a building and all that other stuff and it's all good though. But all of sudden Spidey beating Firelord is all good without any explanation?

The story is in the eye of the reader in many ways, isn't it? My time on this board has proven that. I debated with an Apoc fanboy before who saw that Cable vs. Apoc fight as Cable breaking his bones from hitting Apoc and Apoc just standing there until he got bored and punched Cable once and ended the fight. I read the same issue and saw it a totally different way. I saw it as a hard-fought battle with bones breaking on both sides and Apoc, in the end, edging out Cable, who miscalculated the amount of power to put into his final attack. We read the same thing - got two different results out of it. Is there a "whole damn story" that everybody can accept?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:40 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

Originally posted by long pig
Based on circumstance, anyone can beat anyone if all the odds are for them, but in a fight like the ones here, he would lose to everyone on the list.

The Strange fight was bad, he just grabbed a potted plant with his web and knocked Strange over the head with it.
That great an all but, Strange has shields up at all times....writers forget about that.

What a horrid mistake. It's sad that a victory comes out of it, I'd hardly count it, it just doesn't make sense to me.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:41 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Don't be foolish. The difference between Doom and Spidey is that Doom creates the factors, while they just come to Spidey.

What factors? Warlock blasted Doom, had no effect, Doom turned and blasted Warlock. Everybody is an awe. Spider-Man punches Warlock, knocks him clean out and everybody screams "PIS!". No factors created by Doom whatsoever. So what's the difference?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:42 AM
long pig
Restricted

Account Restricted

Doom is expected to be capable do such thing, Spiderman isn't.

Supa-Mayne!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:45 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

What a horrid mistake. It's sad that a victory comes out of it, I'd hardly count it, it just doesn't make sense to me.

That's a good example. That's not the only time strange has been knocked clean out by something before. Not the only time he's been ambushed, or injured. In fact, in Defenders #1 that just came out this week, he was ambushed while sleeping and choked until he punched his way out. Again, no shields. So which is truly plot device - the fact that he doesn't have his shields up and gets tagged or the fact that he does and doesn't get tagged? How is that determination made?

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:46 AM
MERCILOUS
ALWAYS METAL

Originally posted by demigawd
The story is in the eye of the reader in many ways, isn't it? My time on this board has proven that. I debated with an Apoc fanboy before who saw that Cable vs. Apoc fight as Cable breaking his bones from hitting Apoc and Apoc just standing there until he got bored and punched Cable once and ended the fight. I read the same issue and saw it a totally different way. I saw it as a hard-fought battle with bones breaking on both sides and Apoc, in the end, edging out Cable, who miscalculated the amount of power to put into his final attack. We read the same thing - got two different results out of it. Is there a "whole damn story" that everybody can accept?

Of course somethings are open to interpretation, but other things simply are not. That's why comic books have captions to clarify what's going on. It sucks when writers suck and don't bother filling you in on things artist can't draw, but I don't necessarilly think that's usually the case. So yes, unless you're talking to a delusional Fanboy, there is a generally accepted outcome to most stories.

BITE ME FANBOY!

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:46 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Originally posted by long pig
Doom is expected to be capable do such thing, Spiderman isn't.

Expected by whom? Why? Based on what? On his prior successes in blasting people? Like who? Spider-Man's victory list is a lot more impressive than Doom's. And don't mention people like Galactus and Beyonder and Silver Surfer...he didn't beat them in fights with his own armor, he stole their power.

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:48 AM
demigawd
Board Scientist

Of course somethings are open to interpretation, but other things simply are not. That's why comic books have captions to clarify what's going on. It sucks when writers suck and don't bother filling you in on things artist can't draw, but I don't necessarilly think that's usually the case. So yes, unless you're talking to a delusional Fanboy, there is a generally accepted outcome to most stories.

Is there really? When Hulk punched and punched on Superman and Superman didn't move, and Hulk eventually wore himself out...was that generally accepted? Or even when Superman beat Thor in JLA/Avengers. Was that really "generally accepted"? People still go to war over that on boards today, with some people calling that ultimate "PIS" and boycotting Busiek. And it's more than delusional fanboys. It's anybody who believes that Superman's vulnerability to magic should supercede any other factors in a fight between the two.

Or, we can reverse that, and have Thor beat Superman. Would that have been generally accepted? Not to anybody who beleives that Superman's light-speed fighting should supercede any other factors in a fight between the two. Could a fight between those two ever end in a generally accepted outcome?

What's different here?

Last edited by demigawd on Jul 23rd, 2005 at 10:53 AM

Old Post Jul 23rd, 2005 10:51 AM