KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » 300 Spartans vs 300 Roman Legionnaires

300 Spartans vs 300 Roman Legionnaires
Started by: braz

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

300 Spartans vs 300 Roman Legionnaires

King Leonidas and 300 Spartans from the movie, 300 go up against Maximus and 300 Roman Legionnaires from Gladiator.

The fight is at Thermopylae where the 300 Spartans made their last stand.

Both given steel weaponry and armor including: swords, shields, thrusting spears, plates and helmets.
The Romans also have bow and flaming arrows and 5 cavalry-men, the rest are on foot.

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 10:40 PM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Child Rebel
Blackout

bump

Old Post Jun 7th, 2007 11:19 PM
Child Rebel is currently offline Click here to Send Child Rebel a Private Message Find more posts by Child Rebel Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

Leonidas and 300 for the win. The phalanx shopuld disable the arrows and overall the spartans seemed tobe more skilled in their movie.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 05:28 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

^Agreed, even though the Romans were ahead of their time, especially with strategy, the movie Spartans were just way too impressive.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 06:16 PM
braz is currently offline Click here to Send braz a Private Message Find more posts by braz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
BruceSkywalker
The BatLord of the Jedi

The Spartans

THE TRIAL NEVER ENDS...thanks steve

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 07:34 PM
BruceSkywalker is currently offline Click here to Send BruceSkywalker a Private Message Find more posts by BruceSkywalker Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Martin

But also remember when you make these 300 threads, the Spartans in the 300 movie are depicted well above their real abilities. The Gladiator film didn't do that. 300 the film was based on a comic book. So you know they'll amped beyond they're normal abilities.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 08:35 PM
Darth Martin is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Martin a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Martin Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Caps Conscience

It's been done and the legioneres wint because they have better weopons and tactics.

Using the Report function is Ghey.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 09:11 PM
Caps Conscience is currently offline Click here to Send Caps Conscience a Private Message Find more posts by Caps Conscience Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Exactly.

You're pitting three hundred comic book bad asses versus three hundred real-life-ish bad asses.

Who the hell do you think'll win?

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 09:19 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Whoever held the defensive position would have a distinct advantage, but 100 well trained roman legionaries would defeat 300 well trained spartans. The romans were more tactically advanced, more adaptable and a more cohesive unit.

As much as I enjoy comics and movies, I suggest that a few people put down their comic books and dvds, pick up a book, and learn something.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 10:30 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Caps Conscience
It's been done and the legioneres wint because they have better weopons and tactics.

Yeah, but dude, c'mon this is the movie 300, they were like mini metahumans.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 10:41 PM
Stupid Rookie

Originally posted by KharmaDog
Whoever held the defensive position would have a distinct advantage, but 100 well trained roman legionaries would defeat 300 well trained spartans. The romans were more tactically advanced, more adaptable and a more cohesive unit.

As much as I enjoy comics and movies, I suggest that a few people put down their comic books and dvds, pick up a book, and learn something.

Exactly, Roman legions for the win.

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 11:08 PM
Stupid Rookie is currently offline Click here to Send Stupid Rookie a Private Message Find more posts by Stupid Rookie Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Do you think the spear throw thing would work?

Old Post Aug 3rd, 2007 11:14 PM
playa1258
Fear is the mind killer

Romans would stomp the spartans. They would just outflank the phalanx.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 01:18 AM
playa1258 is currently offline Click here to Send playa1258 a Private Message Find more posts by playa1258 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Originally posted by playa1258
Romans would stomp the spartans. They would just outflank the phalanx.

Theyre at Thermopylae which is a narrow pass, so that probably isnt gunna happen, unless they find the goat path themselves or w/e.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 04:46 AM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Originally posted by braz
Theyre at Thermopylae which is a narrow pass, so that probably isnt gunna happen, unless they find the goat path themselves or w/e.

If the Spartans were facing Romans at thermopylae, and the Spartans held the defensive position, the spartans would still lose, it would only take a while longer.

A roman General (even a centurion) would not attack such a fortified position in a head on attack. Chances are they'd pepper them with ballistae or onagers. Failing that they's often sling bolts at the knees below the shields or heave javelins into the ranks iuntil the had a numerical advantage.

No matter how you cut it, the Roman legionaries would be too cohesive a unit and too well versed in tactics for the Spartan to have a chance.

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 03:00 PM
KharmaDog is currently offline Click here to Send KharmaDog a Private Message Find more posts by KharmaDog Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Soljer
Beware my Power

Indeed, if these were real Spartans versus real Romans.

However, it isn't. It's the 300 Spartans versus real Romans.

Meaning? The Romans can't keep up. They never had bullet-time on their side. stick out tongue.

[IMG][/IMG]

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 03:14 PM
Soljer is currently offline Click here to Send Soljer a Private Message Find more posts by Soljer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

If the Spartans were facing Romans at thermopylae, and the Spartans held the defensive position, the spartans would still lose, it would only take a while longer.

A roman General (even a centurion) would not attack such a fortified position in a head on attack. Chances are they'd pepper them with ballistae or onagers. Failing that they's often sling bolts at the knees below the shields or heave javelins into the ranks iuntil the had a numerical advantage.

No matter how you cut it, the Roman legionaries would be too cohesive a unit and too well versed in tactics for the Spartan to have a chance.

Yeah, that spear throw tactic the Romans had where they throw it and stick it in the enemy's shield and then the spears bend because theyre so long(6 meters- copied from the Macedonians mad ) and it renders their shields useless, u think that would work against the movie Spartans..?

Old Post Aug 4th, 2007 03:58 PM
KharmaDog
Dyslexic Agnostic

Originally posted by braz
Yeah, that spear throw tactic the Romans had where they throw it and stick it in the enemy's shield and then the spears bend

Roman pilums were two pieces and broke on impact so they could not be thrown back at the romans.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 02:44 PM
braz
I'm an agent of chaos...

Roman pilums were two pieces and broke on impact so they could not be thrown back at the romans.

Ohh ok. But if thats all it does, I dont think thats gunna stop the 300 Spartans. They could just break it off with their spear like they did all the arrows sticking out of their shields from the Persians.

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 03:57 PM
jinXed by JaNx

Considering that the romans essentially copied The greeks in almost ever aspect of military awarness from strategy to weaponry, the battle would most likely come down to technology. The Romans would win because of this. The Romans perfected the short sword as well as the curbed shield that the Greeks were noted for.

One of the reasons that the Spartans lasted so long at the gates of fire was due to their phalanx and enviorment ( i say its 100% due to the enviorment though) Roman primus pilus Centurians utilized the phalanx tactic quite often and would know how to defend against and attack it. THe romans also had an exceptional navy, Their navy would be able flank the rear of the spartans. I forget who it was from the Spartans, but it was the man commanding the navy and not leonidas that caused the spartans to last so long, he was able to stave off the persian flank, when his defenses fell, so did the Spartans, and the Romans technology would most likely make short work of the Spartans ships.

If we are on the other hand, talking about an all out battle against Sparta's 300 best and Romes 300 best It could go either way, but i still say the romans short swords and shields win the battle. Both sides would most likely be equally conditioned and dsciplined

Last edited by jinXed by JaNx on Aug 5th, 2007 at 04:33 PM

Old Post Aug 5th, 2007 04:31 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote