KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » My idea vs. Greg Pak's - Surfer vs. Sentry

What's Bob got that Norrin doesn't?
This poll is closed.
Pak's version w/ Sentry 2 66.67%
New conclusion w/ Surfer 1 33.33%
Total: 3 votes 100%
  [Edit Poll (moderators only)]

My idea vs. Greg Pak's - Surfer vs. Sentry
Started by: FOOM

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
FOOM

My idea vs. Greg Pak's - Surfer vs. Sentry

My idea vs. Greg Pak's
Surfer vs. Sentry

As I mentioned in another forum, I hate the Sentry character. He was ill-conceived with a weak origin that does really explain the enormity of his power. His formulation messed with the history of Marvel by adding insulting retcons. Eg. The Fantastic For no longer won their first battle against the monsters of the Mole man on their own - foul.

I think Sentry was maintained so that their would be someone
to rival the Hulk for the big showdown conclusion to WW Hulk. ( he was used again to have a big climax to Dark Reign/Seige - but I'm not dealing with that in this thread).

Note that for well established reasons Thor and Silver Surfer were both absent during the World War Hulk storyline. This was not an accidental circumstance but a well-timed plan. Both Surfer and Hulk could have rivaled or, by some opinions, beaten Hulk and ended the situation as Bob did. But as they would not have hesitated, as Bob did, they would have ended the story too early and denied Hulk his vengence.

However, I DON'T THINK SENTRY WAS NECESSARY.
Surfer could have returned in time to have the final showdown with the Hulk.
It could have been Surfer and Hulk burning themselves out in the conclusion instead. Expelling all their energies, Hulk becomes Banner and Surfer becomes plain ol' Norrin Radd.
Some will say, impossible for Surfer to have that happen - too powerful. Okay, plot a simple plot device could be that he has a had a controlling disc placed on him, as happened in Planet Hulk, but as he has had experience with it, he has learned to fight its control to some degree, but it still has a limiting effect on him.

The story concludes similar to before but with two advantages:

1) You have a new storyline for Surfer. Over the next few months he reabsorbs the Power Cosmic from the universe - regaining his power and abilities slowly over the next year or so... in the meantime, he has deal with something he has not experienced in eons - living as normal mortal (I think Surfer forced to live among Earthlings as he regains his power could be a good story with many possibilities).

2) No Sentry

Opinions?
and, of course, feel free to offer a better conclusion.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 02:32 PM
FOOM is currently offline Click here to Send FOOM a Private Message Find more posts by FOOM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

Sentry is better because it puts Hulk above cube being level.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 02:41 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ExodusCloak

Stupid idea. Have Surfer fly in? Why? I much rather keep Cosmic and Earth affairs apart. Your reasoning for Sentry being kept around is incorrect. They could have just as easily had Strange or Blackbolt fight WWH to a standstill if the Sentry never existed. WWH was bad because they it was just plot devicey, having Surfer randomly show up out of the blue would have made it even worse.

And marvel doesn't believe SS can hold an ongoing at the moment.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 03:06 PM
ExodusCloak is currently offline Click here to Send ExodusCloak a Private Message Find more posts by ExodusCloak Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Bentley
Seitei

I heard they were planning a Surfer ongoing.

My respect threads:Kang the Conqueror, Ultron, Devil Dinosaur, Michael Korvac
Captain America for High Street

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 03:18 PM
Bentley is currently offline Click here to Send Bentley a Private Message Find more posts by Bentley Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
bbrem123

nice ^

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 04:11 PM
bbrem123 is currently offline Click here to Send bbrem123 a Private Message Find more posts by bbrem123 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FOOM

Perhaps, the ongoing Surfer will involve him being stripped temporarily of Power Cosmic and "over the next few months he reabsorbs the Power Cosmic from the universe - regaining his power and abilities slowly over the next year or so... in the meantime, he has deal with something he has not experienced in eons - living as normal mortal". shifty - big grin

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 06:36 PM
FOOM is currently offline Click here to Send FOOM a Private Message Find more posts by FOOM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
amnesia
Restricted

Account Restricted

Pak should write more Hercules.

Thanks to Steverules 2

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 06:52 PM
amnesia is currently offline Click here to Send amnesia a Private Message Find more posts by amnesia Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mech_Cool

Sentry was chosen because he was shown to actually calm the Hulk. That is not a retarded origin.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 07:18 PM
Mech_Cool is currently offline Click here to Send Mech_Cool a Private Message Find more posts by Mech_Cool Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
FOOM

No, in fact, that's not an origin at all.

His origin is that he drank a version of the super soldier serum thinking it would get him high and instead received god like powers. He was then retconed into the silver age history of marvel perverting cherished stories.

P.S. I never used the word 'retarded'.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 10:17 PM
One Big Mob
Dead

I'm not reading anything here, but Surfer wins.

Old Post Jun 28th, 2010 11:01 PM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Black bolt z
Mindsets Master

quote: (post)
Originally posted by Blanket
I'm not reading anything here, but Surfer wins.
Same here.I stand behind bran.

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 12:54 AM
Black bolt z is currently offline Click here to Send Black bolt z a Private Message Find more posts by Black bolt z Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
rotiart
Stan Lee Stole my name

Fairly certain I read somewhere that world war hulks power was supposed to rival skyfathers.. That being true... They needed someone to take on hulk... A earthbound threat...

Surfer was busy surfing th cosmos preparing for the annihilation arc... Which IMO was better than the wwh arc... But eh

"There is no writer to purposely ignore a character's natural ability just because it suits the story."
"in some cases because the writer knows that Character A will dominate Character B easily and refuses to allow this to happen for the sake of the story."

Old Post Jun 29th, 2010 05:59 PM
rotiart is currently offline Click here to Send rotiart a Private Message Find more posts by rotiart Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote