KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » John Constantine Vs Doctor Who

John Constantine Vs Doctor Who
Started by: Golgo13

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (3): [1] 2 3 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Senor Cage

John Constantine Vs Doctor Who

Which prep god wins? And state your reasoning.

(please log in to view the image)

vs

(please log in to view the image)

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:11 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

The Oncoming Storm >> John Constantine, The doctor has fought and beat tougher foes than Constantine has.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:13 PM
TheDude666 is currently offline Click here to Send TheDude666 a Private Message Find more posts by TheDude666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

quote: (post)
Originally posted by LeonBuco666
The Oncoming Storm >> John Constantine, The doctor has fought and beat tougher foes than Constantine has.

How? Constantine has bested universal, multiversal, and sometimes omniversal beings.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:15 PM
Senor Cage is currently offline Click here to Send Senor Cage a Private Message Find more posts by Senor Cage Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Brockalizer
A midget among dwarves.

The Doctor easily, based on quality and volume of feats.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:29 PM
Brockalizer is currently offline Click here to Send Brockalizer a Private Message Find more posts by Brockalizer Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheDude666
Rip Guy222

The beast is 1 example, practically The Devil, survived the destruction of the last universe, and the creation of this one, precog, major reality warping, as stated by the doctor

Black Guardian
Sutekh
Chronovore
Mandragora Helix
The Great One(Approaching Omnipotence, very very very very very very very very very powerful, thanks to the crystals)
The master
Peak Dalek Empire
Nestene Consciousness

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:38 PM
TheDude666 is currently offline Click here to Send TheDude666 a Private Message Find more posts by TheDude666 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

The butthurt backlash against the Doc is coming. I have no idea why this tendency is so cyclical.

The beast is 1 example, practically The Devil, survived the destruction of the last universe, and the creation of this one, precog, major reality warping, as stated by the doctor

Black Guardian
Sutekh
Chronovore
Mandragora Helix
The Great One(Approaching Omnipotence, very very very very very very very very very powerful, thanks to the crystals)
The master
Peak Dalek Empire
Nestene Consciousness

To a non-fan this is just a bunch of words. Explain yourself if you're going to do this.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 08:52 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
mhmamr
Restricted

Account Restricted

The Doctor easily, based on quality and volume of feats.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 09:04 PM
mhmamr is currently offline Click here to Send mhmamr a Private Message Find more posts by mhmamr Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Please EXPLAIN. Constantine has bested omnipotent beings as well. And has loads of prep feats to his name. We're talking Vertigo Constantine. Not DCnU.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 09:20 PM
Uriel005

Black Guardian
Sutekh
Chronovore
Mandragora Helix
The master
Peak Dalek Empire
Nestene Consciousness
Several Great Old Ones and I mean Lovecraftian Great Old Ones as in true eldritch abominations not marvel knockoffs.
Omega who was god of the anti-matter universe
Celestial Tinkerer
Demon thing from before the start of the universe whose physics were contrary to the current universes.
Daleks (Inventions have had omniversal destructive capability most notibly in recent history being the reality bomb which would have caused the omniverse to suffer from cascading failures as reality after reality turned to dust and finally into nothing.

Several deity level beings

Who-verse, Great Vampires

Evil version of himself (Valeyard)

he is an utter dick... if you want to see some of it in the recent tv series check out what he did to the family of blood. They wanted immortality.. ok Dr. delivers. mom is trapped in an unending event horizon forever slowly falling to her death. Father I forget, Sister was trapped in every mirror to exist as the little girl you see out of the corner of your eye. Brother trapped as a scarecrow for all time ever conscious of his eternity but unable to move.

just tacking on to the list. Not sure if he beats John though.... they are hold titles for giver of supreme dicking to universal powers.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 09:26 PM
Uriel005 is currently offline Click here to Send Uriel005 a Private Message Find more posts by Uriel005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Golgo13
How? Constantine has bested universal, multiversal, and sometimes omniversal beings.

Same can be said of the Doctor. Or Reed. Or Lucifer. Or any of the 3-4 others that will pop up in threads this week against the Doctor.

And that's the point. Where do you draw a line? Which multiversal feat is better? Which "pull it out of your ass with duct tape and string" prep feat is more impressive? The Doctor tends to deal with such threats in an episode or two, usually in real time, and often is making it up as he goes along, doing in minutes what it takes others far longer to accomplish. So it ends up seeming more impressive than most comic feats that are equivalent in scope.

But really, it's a coin flip. Pick a side. Make sure to lowball the other character or it doesn't count.

Frankly, though, the Doctor isn't about power levels. It's almost depressing how much focus gets put on this stuff.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 09:40 PM
Digi is currently offline Click here to Send Digi a Private Message Find more posts by Digi Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Uriel005

Originally posted by Digi
Same can be said of the Doctor. Or Reed. Or Lucifer. Or any of the 3-4 others that will pop up in threads this week against the Doctor.

And that's the point. Where do you draw a line? Which multiversal feat is better? Which "pull it out of your ass with duct tape and string" prep feat is more impressive? The Doctor tends to deal with such threats in an episode or two, usually in real time, and often is making it up as he goes along, doing in minutes what it takes others far longer to accomplish. So it ends up seeming more impressive than most comic feats that are equivalent in scope.

But really, it's a coin flip. Pick a side. Make sure to lowball the other character or it doesn't count.

Frankly, though, the Doctor isn't about power levels. It's almost depressing how much focus gets put on this stuff.
meh its for the purpose of the debates more than anything and the fun of it.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 09:44 PM
Uriel005 is currently offline Click here to Send Uriel005 a Private Message Find more posts by Uriel005 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Digi
Forum Leader

Originally posted by Uriel005
meh its for the purpose of the debates more than anything and the fun of it.

You say that. But then we have people making bait or reactionary threads to make a point to another poster, or for/against a character. And/or weekly analytical talks about the feats of the week and how characters were portrayed, instead of focusing on literally anything else. Many members don't hope for fully realized story arcs, they hope that {insert character} doesn't job in an upcoming fight, and that {writer} will stop wanking {character}. It's an epidemic side effect of the vs. forum.

There are some that just become silly. Take the Watchmen. The least important thing about those characters are their feats. I honestly think even trying to lock them down to a power level obscures the purpose of the book. Several others are like that, and even power-based characters used to be like that. It's why PC power levels were so nutty, or any comic from that day. You think Hulk writers cared about power levels? Hell no. The Hulk was an outlet for anger, a metaphor for our inner struggles, not walking rage and fan service.

I feel like trying to translate DW "feats" to comic terms is equally fruitless, and a bit demeaning to the utter joy and brilliance of the show. The Doctor is f*cking brilliant, and a prep god. But I die a little bit trying to nit-pick the level at which his prep compares to others. It's like deconstructing an awesome toy until it's just a bunch of gears and bolts. Cold, clinical. And the most laughable part is, it's probably a giant tie between him and most of these others, given enough prep. At best, someone would win, but we have no way of actually knowing because the power levels are incomprehensibly absurd.

See what I mean?

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 10:05 PM
Senor Cage

[B]Same can be said of the Doctor. Or Reed. Or Lucifer. Or any of the 3-4 others that will pop up in threads this week against the Doctor.

Frankly, though, the Doctor isn't about power levels. It's almost depressing how much focus gets put on this stuff. [/]

Im not against who winning. I like the character. But all the reasons im hearing
Can be said about constantine too.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 10:57 PM
Uriel005

You say that. But then we have people making bait or reactionary threads to make a point to another poster, or for/against a character. And/or weekly analytical talks about the feats of the week and how characters were portrayed, instead of focusing on literally anything else. Many members don't hope for fully realized story arcs, they hope that {insert character} doesn't job in an upcoming fight, and that {writer} will stop wanking {character}. It's an epidemic side effect of the vs. forum.

There are some that just become silly. Take the Watchmen. The least important thing about those characters are their feats. I honestly think even trying to lock them down to a power level obscures the purpose of the book. Several others are like that, and even power-based characters used to be like that. It's why PC power levels were so nutty, or any comic from that day. You think Hulk writers cared about power levels? Hell no. The Hulk was an outlet for anger, a metaphor for our inner struggles, not walking rage and fan service.

I feel like trying to translate DW "feats" to comic terms is equally fruitless, and a bit demeaning to the utter joy and brilliance of the show. The Doctor is f*cking brilliant, and a prep god. But I die a little bit trying to nit-pick the level at which his prep compares to others. It's like deconstructing an awesome toy until it's just a bunch of gears and bolts. Cold, clinical. And the most laughable part is, it's probably a giant tie between him and most of these others, given enough prep. At best, someone would win, but we have no way of actually knowing because the power levels are incomprehensibly absurd.

See what I mean?
absolutely correct, but as I said this is just fun for me. Theory-crafting in my head how different characters would respond that is. For me most threads aren't about power levels or anything more along the lines of how can I make it more interesting to me and challenging myself to find/come up with supporting arguments for different characters to pitch them against another. Heck sometimes I support characters I don't think will win just to see what other people can come up with and eke out more than... i think character x wins. which is just boring. Unfortunately this has led more often than not to people trying to disprove canon feats rather than trying to prove their own characters capabilities to stack up against it.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 11:23 PM
Digi
Forum Leader

Im not against who winning. I like the character. But all the reasons im hearing
Can be said about constantine too.

Ok. And it can be said about the Doctor.

Maybe we'll open an internet portal if we keep going with the recursion.

Old Post Oct 3rd, 2013 11:51 PM
Senor Cage

So a split?

Old Post Oct 4th, 2013 01:00 AM
Digi
Forum Leader

So a split?

So a "we don't know" or a "pick your favorite." It's ok not to have an answer.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2013 03:01 AM
One Big Mob
Dead

I do this, but it's because the stories aren't good to begin with. And with a shitty story, I don't want to see the characters I like thrown in there for the sole purpose of losing.
It's going to happen when Pak and Bendis keep touching my favorite characters. Bendis is literally obsessed with making Thanos say "Earthers" too

Not sure how I feel about Infinity either.

I'd rather have a good story than an action story, but with so many shitty stories and such a huge focus on action, all I can hope for is the best.

Old Post Oct 4th, 2013 03:21 AM
One Big Mob is currently offline Click here to Send One Big Mob a Private Message Find more posts by One Big Mob Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mindset

They have both worn trench coats in the past.

Fact.

Sometimes all you have left is your Rage

Old Post Oct 4th, 2013 03:38 AM
Mindset is currently offline Click here to Send Mindset a Private Message Find more posts by Mindset Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Senor Cage

Originally posted by Mindset
They have both worn trench coats in the past.

Fact.

thumb up

Old Post Oct 4th, 2013 03:45 AM