KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Flight Edge

Flight Edge
Started by: Sin I AM

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (2): [1] 2 »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Flight Edge

Gotta scenario. So say u got two basic bricks. Both are super strong, super durable etc..the only difference is one has flight. Now if this were a typical forum match most would side with the flying brick. Citing an "edge" but is that really an edge?

Bare in mind the flying brick doesnt have insane flight speed. Place him around scratch that beneath falcon level. Normal maneuverability.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:01 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

Well, its not going to be a handicap, nor are the two bricks equal.

Hence, an edge.

Even if it is staying at range and throwing stuff (the most basic attack I can think of), its still an edge, all other things being equal.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:14 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

quote: (post)
Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Well, its not going to be a handicap, nor are the two bricks equal.

Hence, an edge.

Even if it is staying at range and throwing stuff (the most basic attack I can think of), its still an edge, all other things being equal.

You're adding things to the equation hun. Featureless environment. No cars, boulders, etc to toss. Two guys with equal stats save one can fly. What advantages does flight add to that typical brick powerset that gives an edge? U still have to close the gap to engage

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:22 PM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Faceless808
Lurking since 2009

The flying brick would have an advantage of deciding when to engage and when to withdraw. can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

Inspired by AlbertoJohnAvil with special thanks to Damborgson

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:27 PM
Faceless808 is currently offline Click here to Send Faceless808 a Private Message Find more posts by Faceless808 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

can the flyer levitate?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:35 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by Faceless808
The flying brick would have an advantage of deciding when to engage and when to withdraw. can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I waa thinking that. He could leave the field more easily and return without pursuit. But i dont see how that's an edge seeing as your opponent is still on land catching his breath and planning his move.

Originally posted by staxamillion
can the flyer levitate?

Sure

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:41 PM
DarkSaint85

Originally posted by Sin I AM
You're adding things to the equation hun. Featureless environment. No cars, boulders, etc to toss. Two guys with equal stats save one can fly. What advantages does flight add to that typical brick powerset that gives an edge? U still have to close the gap to engage

Like I said, was the simplest thing I could think of.

Other advantages: Executing certain moves are easier. Roundhouse kicks to the head. Throws won't be as effective on him. Headlocks and other submission holds won't be as effective. Low attacks (so being able to attack the legs). Loss of balance would be less of an issue, so again, kicks would be more effective. A reach advantage, on the fliers' terms.

You've done MCMAP, I seem to recall. How would those submission holds etc do, when your opponent can suddenly flip and rotate, so that they're on top, for example?

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:44 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Faceless808
Lurking since 2009

I waa thinking that. He could leave the field more easily and return without pursuit. But i dont see how that's an edge seeing as your opponent is still on land catching his breath and planning his move.

But he could engage and disengage to his advantage. Press the fight when he has the upper hand, disengage when the grounded brick has the upper hand. I kinda think that would be a strong strategic advantage.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:46 PM
Faceless808 is currently offline Click here to Send Faceless808 a Private Message Find more posts by Faceless808 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Faceless808
Lurking since 2009

I also think, by my scenario, that the grounded brick would be forced to be on the defensive most, if not all of the time. The flyer could swoop down for one solid punch, with all his strength and weight and momentum behind it. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:53 PM
DarkSaint85

Or let's say they have similar durability and strength, so neither is KOing each other.

That makes leverage doubly important. The guy with better leverage would be stronger, due to physics.

Something aw simple as a bear hug. They're both equally strong, so the flier who is bearhugging would not have his hold broken, due to leverage.

He then flies. Up up and away.

Then drops the grounded brick. Down, down, to the ground.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 04:57 PM
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by DarkSaint85
Like I said, was the simplest thing I could think of.

Other advantages: Executing certain moves are easier. Roundhouse kicks to the head. Throws won't be as effective on him. Headlocks and other submission holds won't be as effective. Low attacks (so being able to attack the legs). Loss of balance would be less of an issue, so again, kicks would be more effective. A reach advantage, on the fliers' terms.

You've done MCMAP, I seem to recall. How would those submission holds etc do, when your opponent can suddenly flip and rotate, so that they're on top, for example?

Good argument. If some had me pinned i suppose flight could be beneficial. Im not so sure throws wouldnt work. Plenty of fliers get tossed before catching their bearings. Sometimes getting knocked miles away. Headlocks wouldnt necessarily be less effective. I mean the non flier still has positive control. If anything he's exerting himself more in a strenuous situation. I sorta agree on the kick advantage...not so much on the reach advantage

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 05:01 PM
DarkSaint85

Good argument. If some had me pinned i suppose flight could be beneficial. Im not so sure throws wouldnt work. Plenty of fliers get tossed before catching their bearings. Sometimes getting knocked miles away. Headlocks wouldnt necessarily be less effective. I mean the non flier still has positive control. If anything he's exerting himself more in a strenuous situation. I sorta agree on the kick advantage...not so much on the reach advantage

Unless you're a weird potato, most people have longer legs than arms.

My legs are now at shoulder level, or even head level. I'll have a longer reach than you. And I reckon my kick would hit harder than my punch (due to my awesome glutes and never skipping leg day).

True on headlocks, I was imagining the flier being able to fly up, and attempt a slam to the ground when placed in a standard headlock.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 05:08 PM
spetznaz
Senior Fanboy Killer

Re: Flight Edge

Gotta scenario. So say u got two basic bricks. Both are super strong, super durable etc..the only difference is one has flight. Now if this were a typical forum match most would side with the flying brick. Citing an "edge" but is that really an edge?

Bare in mind the flying brick doesnt have insane flight speed. Place him around scratch that beneath falcon level. Normal maneuverability.

Since the purpose of the forum is (in my opinion) rational debate, let's take a real world example.

Real life air combat - there are many variables that got into that equation (e.g. training, situational awareness and AWACs support, wing loading, weapon terminal energy, etc), a simple one is that the aircraft that can be able to engage and disengage at will has an embedded advantage.

Same thing here - even if the flying brick can only fly at slow speeds, he/she can engage and disengage at will, and controls the battle space in 3D (as opposed to 2D for the grounded adversary).

Or to put it another way - I noted someone said you do the USMC martial system. Alright, imagine you're fighting someone as equally skilled as you are. Same skill, same strength, etc. However, this person can also fly at Falcon speeds.

It's not that you cannot win, it is just that you'll be at a disadvantage to him. Maybe significant .

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 05:09 PM
spetznaz is currently offline Click here to Send spetznaz a Private Message Find more posts by spetznaz Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
staxamillion
Sir Snikts-A-Lot

I was just thinking levitation and flying could allow for a more unique fighting style but I am thinking now that is not what the OP meant for.

im assuming that the land brick land speed is equal to or greater than the flying bricks flight speed. if that is the case then the only tactical advantage they can switch it up and like DS said certain moves would be less effective and increased dodging.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 05:09 PM
staxamillion is currently offline Click here to Send staxamillion a Private Message Find more posts by staxamillion Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Cogito

If you're in the air for whatever reason (knocked in the air, jumped, etc.), you're not subject to falling at the rate of gravity, inability to generate leverage, inability to dodge or redirect yourself, etc.

"And then there was nothing. A once broken something now void.
And on the first day, Doom spoke...
'Be.'
And then there was life."

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 05:16 PM
Cogito is currently offline Click here to Send Cogito a Private Message Find more posts by Cogito Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Well, to play devil's advocate, I'd ask this: Are we talking real life or are we talking comics?

Yeah, it's an advantage in real life. Comics rarely present it that way though. In a typical comic, a flying brick is the exact same as a grounded brick.

Size and numbers are advantages in real life too, but the 115 lb., teenage Batgirl will trounce groups of trained, grown men in comics.

Last edited by StyleTime on Dec 20th, 2016 at 07:26 PM

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 07:13 PM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
riv6672

For some reason when posters call each other buddy/pal/hun...the sarcasm really pops in their posts. thumb up

Theres no way flight isnt an edge in a fight even in a featureless environment. Two even fighters and one flies means the fight can get taken to the air. The flier can drop the non flier repeatedly every time they disengage.

Now, you can start adding things about durability negating that tactic or whatevs, but its still something the non flier has to deal with/cant do back.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 08:17 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Originally posted by StyleTime
Well, to play devil's advocate, I'd ask this: Are we talking real life or are we talking comics?

Yeah, it's an advantage in real life. Comics rarely present it that way though. In a typical comic, a flying brick is the exact same as a grounded brick.

Size and numbers are advantages in real life too, but the 115 lb., teenage Batgirl will trounce groups of trained, grown men in comics.

Comics

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 09:49 PM
riv6672

^^^Advantage, flying hun.

Old Post Dec 20th, 2016 09:52 PM
riv6672 is currently offline Click here to Send riv6672 a Private Message Find more posts by riv6672 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StyleTime

Even in the typical comic?

Last edited by StyleTime on Dec 21st, 2016 at 01:02 AM

Old Post Dec 21st, 2016 12:59 AM
StyleTime is currently offline Click here to Send StyleTime a Private Message Find more posts by StyleTime Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote