KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » canon vs non-canon

canon vs non-canon
Started by: leonidas

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (8): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

canon vs non-canon

k, that odin thread really started this and maybe this thread will help others. here is a place to discuss the canonicity of stories. what does or doesn't count. maybe mods can drop in rule if necessary, or clear up misconceptions at least. i'll start with a couple that i know cause problems just to get things off the ground then people can add some others for discussion and maybe even voting or ruling. some consistently argued ones include:

great darkness saga
king thor saga
unilord surfer saga

i know there are several others. which ones are definitely considered non-canon? are there any arcs that are canon but STILL not allowed to be used in the forum? should some changes be considered with regards to some of these arcs?

let the great debate begin! smile

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 12:07 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía
"The devil made me do it"

It's simple - as long as it's the main Universe, be it the past or the future, it all counts as far as feats are concerned [unless there's a special case where character explicitly gets stronger over time, in which case it can't apply to current version - say, Superman 50 years in the future is more powerful than currently].

If by travelling to the future/past you travel to an alternate Universe [such as it was for a long time in Marvel], it doesn't count. But if it's the future of the actual current Universe [such as it is in DC], it's common sense that it counts.

“Perhaps this is the ultimate freedom. The freedom to leave.”

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 12:22 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

problem is it's not always readily stated whether the past/future IS an alt universe. i take it you don't think all the above i mentioned should be considered canon?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 12:28 PM
leonidas is currently offline Click here to Send leonidas a Private Message Find more posts by leonidas Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

quote: (post)
Originally posted by leonidas
problem is it's not always readily stated whether the past/future IS an alt universe. i take it you don't think all the above i mentioned should be considered canon?
I think individual stories should be taken on a case by case basis. Not all stories set in the past/future are alternate Universes in Marvel nor in DC. If, for example, you have a story where the past is changed and the future is altered, it's quite obvious that the story involving the future isn't an alternate Universe - it was quite literally the same characters, same Universe only further ahead in time. I haven't read the King Thor story in a long time - at the end, when he goes back in time, the future gets erased, no? That's a clear sign that it's the same character, not an alternate version.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 12:42 PM
Philosophía is currently offline Click here to Send Philosophía a Private Message Find more posts by Philosophía Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Philosophía

Say, let's pick a character with no changes to his power over time - Captain Marvel [mostly]. If there's a story where Captain Marvel in the future goes insane and kills Wonder Woman, but he is convinced by the wisdom of Solomon to undo everything, goes back in time through the Rock of Eternity, and makes it so that the future is erased once he does something in the past - then it's still canon as far as his abilities go [since both Billy and Diana have constant power in time].

Last edited by Philosophía on Jun 27th, 2017 at 12:48 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 12:46 PM
operator616

the confusion regarding alternate timelines and universes actually comes from Marvel, mostly. Take Reigning-universe for example:

http://imgur.com/a/JCHv3

Reigning was the future of 616 Earth while at the same time it is designated as Earth-3515.

so is it a future reality or an alternate universe? It's actually both at the same time

But is it usable to Earth-616 characters?

Yes, because affecting Earth-616 directly affecting that reality, so they're linked. That's what Philosophia was trying to say i think, and i agree.

However, sometimes, like in Legion's case and GOTG the case isn't very clear. Because there is evidence for both: It being an alternate reality as well as the future of mainstream earth.

I already provided some examples for Legion in the other thread, but regarding GOTG:

In GOTG #7 starhawk finds out that it's impossible to change the GOTG timeline (3oth century) via changing the mainstream 20th century Earth (earth-616). He tried many times and only ended up creating divergent realities. Later on, however, in #44 the exact opposite happens. The GOTG travel to the past (earth-616) and inadvertently (i won't bother with the details) change their 30th century timeline (earth-691). so there is evidence for both and thus the question of whether that timeline is the future of 616 or an alternate comes down to personal preference.

to answer your questions Leo:

GDS: Debatable (evidence for both)
Reigning thor: Yes (evidence solely suggests that it's the future and doesn't contradict it)
Unilord surfer: No, from what i remember. At the beginning and end of the story it's highly implied that the unilord universe contains an alternate surfer.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 01:11 PM
operator616 is currently offline Click here to Send operator616 a Private Message Find more posts by operator616 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
DarkSaint85

What about say Old Man Logan and Maestro?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 01:14 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
TheHulkster

What about MC2? Those characters have traveled back in time to intermingle with 616 characters.

Also, the events of Uncanny Avengers during the issue where Earth is destroyed and after. Are those events canon? I recall Abhi arguing that Hulk holding Doom's force field generating machine in place is non-canon due to the time travel rewrite. That seems absurd to me.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 01:38 PM
TheHulkster is currently offline Click here to Send TheHulkster a Private Message Find more posts by TheHulkster Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

I'd rather not do a sweeping rule change. It's a slippery slope.

Case by case basis maybe?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 02:19 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

Originally posted by DarkSaint85

I think in the past u pointed out to me some feats regarding Jarnbjorn and Young Thor(godbutcher arc) that I try to no longer intermingle with Odinson and canon Young Thor for him. Seemed a logical point.

Hmmm... Well wadda u know? You are useful for something.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 02:24 PM
celeyhyga17 is currently offline Click here to Send celeyhyga17 a Private Message Find more posts by celeyhyga17 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

i'd def say the maestro verse, and the events that happened their are canon. hulk has had direct impact on those events and there has obviously been direct contact between 616 and whatever designate the maestro timeline has been given.

not sure about old man logan or mc2, though i thought mc2 was a totally different universe. i'd say the uncanny avengers stuff should still be canon--the effects were directly divergent from the 616 and were changed back when a a change was made IN the 616 from what i recall. that speaks to a directly divergent path so i don;t know why that wouldn't count.

i agree with opr and phil--if a change in the 616 can alter a divergent timeline, and the characters in said timeline show no real differences, there should be no reason feats in those timelines aren't recognized.

marvel's THE END series' have been argued often in the past as well.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 05:05 PM
darthgoober

The thing about alternate timelines is that they derail threads. You can argue in circles about them forever and debates never move forward. That's why over the years on KMC it became a simple standard of "no never". Even if a feat takes place in a What If 5 minutes after the divergence, it's not valid. Even if the events happen in the mainstream universe and then time manipulation is used to reset the clock and change things, it's not valid. A good debate is rare enough as it is, allowing these kinds of things will prevent even more debates from actually moving forward. Potential valid alternate experiences have simply been sacrificed for the greater good of the forum as a whole the same way JLA/Avengers has been outright barred from debates.

The mods don't like to step in and opening up this door would require them to basically every time someone brought up such and instance to prevent the discussion from devolving into an absolute mess of bickering.

Last edited by darthgoober on Jun 27th, 2017 at 05:50 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 05:36 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
darthgoober

Originally posted by celeyhyga17
I'd rather not do a sweeping rule change. It's a slippery slope.

Case by case basis maybe?

The problem with handling things on a case by case basis is that people will ONLY ever recognize things that they like. The only way something like this would work would be to have definitive guidelines on what qualified. Otherwise you end up with double standards all over the place.

Last edited by darthgoober on Jun 27th, 2017 at 05:47 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 05:38 PM
darthgoober is currently offline Click here to Send darthgoober a Private Message Find more posts by darthgoober Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
eaebiakuya

What about age of apocalypse?

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 05:42 PM
eaebiakuya is currently offline Click here to Send eaebiakuya a Private Message Find more posts by eaebiakuya Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

It's really not that hard to understand. In marvel every future is in itself an alternate reality even if it is linked to 616 universe as shown innumerable times.

In DC the rules of time travel are a bit more relax and hence there is only one timeline from big bang to vanishing point. If there are alternate timelines, they are wholly separate from main timeline and have little connections with main timeline. Hence you can even alter past events to change present and the role of Linear Men to safeguard history.

You'll never find a scene where a future story in DC is an alternate reality. At best its a possible future of the main timeline.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:09 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
abhilegend
Prince of All Saiyans

Originally posted by darthgoober
The problem with handling things on a case by case basis is that people will ONLY ever recognize things that they like. The only way something like this would work would be to have definitive guidelines on what qualified. Otherwise you end up with double standards all over the place.

OK enough of this bullshit. Could you post a single scan from DC where a future is shown to be an alternate reality?

Originally posted by eaebiakuya
What about age of apocalypse?

Alternate reality when Legion killed Xavier.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:13 PM
abhilegend is currently offline Click here to Send abhilegend a Private Message Find more posts by abhilegend Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
celeyhyga17
Yawning Void

I get u. But even a thing like this has varying degrees.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:16 PM
DarkSaint85

The thing about alternate timelines is that they derail threads. You can argue in circles about them forever and debates never move forward. That's why over the years on KMC it became a simple standard of "no never". Even if a feat takes place in a What If 5 minutes after the divergence, it's not valid. Even if the events happen in the mainstream universe and then time manipulation is used to reset the clock and change things, it's not valid. A good debate is rare enough as it is, allowing these kinds of things will prevent even more debates from actually moving forward. Potential valid alternate experiences have simply been sacrificed for the greater good of the forum as a whole the same way JLA/Avengers has been outright barred from debates.

The mods don't like to step in and opening up this door would require them to basically every time someone brought up such and instance to prevent the discussion from devolving into an absolute mess of bickering.

But it shouldn't be never.

Because the rules don't say never..

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:19 PM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
leonidas
MWHAHAHAHA!

that scan i posted referencing the 2099 universe as "the 616 circa 2099" says that not every future is an alternate reality in marvel. 2099 IS the 616--as was specifically stated.

@goob: i'm not sure what 'circular arguments' you think will come about from the relaxing or abolishment of this rule. there are dozens of circular arguments already. we've seen darkseid perform greater feats than those of gds anyway, so what difference does it make? avengers/jla--if it's ruled arguable, i'm not sure how it would bungle up anymore threads than if it is disallowed. it's simply more feats. neither arc would be close to the be-all-end-all in any thread debating the involved characters. no one uses just one source as support for an argument. well, no one with any brains. so if someone is doing so, i'd suggest placing them on ignore. i've discovered the forum seems a lot more intelligent once you drop 8 or 10 names into your ignore list. /shrug

to my understanding aoa would def not be canon. characters were depicted with vast differences and even powers didn't seem to remain wholly the same.

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:22 PM
darthgoober

And here is a prime example of the types double standards I was talking about creeping up. Note what abhi's true point is here...

Originally posted by abhilegend
It's really not that hard to understand. In marvel every future is in itself an alternate reality even if it is linked to 616 universe as shown innumerable times.

In DC the rules of time travel are a bit more relax and hence there is only one timeline from big bang to vanishing point. If there are alternate timelines, they are wholly separate from main timeline and have little connections with main timeline. Hence you can even alter past events to change present and the role of Linear Men to safeguard history.

You'll never find a scene where a future story in DC is an alternate reality. At best its a possible future of the main timeline.

It should always be allowed for DC, but never for Marvel. And why? Because Marvel goes to the trouble of assigning a number for every "alternate universe" in handbooks so that the events are regonized as still happening somwhere in the multiverse no matter what rather than being an ambiguous "potential future".

Thanks for proving my point abhi, your timing is impeccable smile

But it shouldn't be never.

Because the rules don't say never..

That's why I didn't say the rule, I said the standard. By standard I mean the way the rule is applied by the majority. The standard is that it's "No never" until the Mods recognize it as one of those special exceptions.

Originally posted by leonidas
that scan i posted referencing the 2099 universe as "the 616 circa 2099" says that not every future is an alternate reality in marvel. 2099 IS the 616--as was specifically stated.

@goob: i'm not sure what 'circular arguments' you think will come about from the relaxing or abolishment of this rule. there are dozens of circular arguments already. we've seen darkseid perform greater feats than those of gds anyway, so what difference does it make? avengers/jla--if it's ruled arguable, i'm not sure how it would bungle up anymore threads than if it is disallowed. it's simply more feats. neither arc would be close to the be-all-end-all in any thread debating the involved characters. no one uses just one source as support for an argument. well, no one with any brains. so if someone is doing so, i'd suggest placing them on ignore. i've discovered the forum seems a lot more intelligent once you drop 8 or 10 names into your ignore list. /shrug

to my understanding aoa would def not be canon. characters were depicted with vast differences and even powers didn't seem to remain wholly the same.

I'm not arguing for or against JLA/Avengers being recognized. I'm using it as an example of the fact that on KMC there exists a precident for excluding things that are potentially valid so that debates can move forward.

Last edited by darthgoober on Jun 27th, 2017 at 06:44 PM

Old Post Jun 27th, 2017 06:36 PM