KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Comic Book Forums » Comic Book 'Versus' Forum » Can Magneto restrain these guys ?

Can Magneto restrain these guys ?
Started by: HumbleServant

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
  Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
HumbleServant

Can Magneto restrain these guys ?

These guys have on metal armor and Magneto must try to restrain them from moving 5 feet in 1 minute. Who can he restrain?

Colossus
Thing
She Hulk
Namor
Aquaman
Superboy
Power Girl
Wonder Woman
Martian Manhunter
Lobo
Orion
Superman

Last edited by HumbleServant on Aug 8th, 2022 at 12:24 AM

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 12:21 AM
HumbleServant is currently offline Click here to Send HumbleServant a Private Message Find more posts by HumbleServant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Classic NES
Balloooooooooooooon

Stops at Diana

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 01:19 AM
Classic NES is currently offline Click here to Send Classic NES a Private Message Find more posts by Classic NES Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Sin I AM
Madame Mort

Stops at Namor

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 01:29 AM
Sin I AM is currently offline Click here to Send Sin I AM a Private Message Find more posts by Sin I AM Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
StiltmanFTW
CBvF

Kills whole legions of Aquamen, including their foul leader, Aquapaul.

Old Post Aug 8th, 2022 07:01 AM
StiltmanFTW is currently offline Click here to Send StiltmanFTW a Private Message Find more posts by StiltmanFTW Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Kinda depends on the metal, no? If their armor is made of aluminum foil, no amount of magnetism is going to work.

Revamped Thor Respect Thread Revamped Loki Respect Thread
Revamped Hulk Respect Thread Revamped Iron Man Respect Thread

Old Post Aug 9th, 2022 07:11 PM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumbleServant

quote: (post)
Originally posted by ODG
Kinda depends on the metal, no? If their armor is made of aluminum foil, no amount of magnetism is going to work.
Good point. Their armor is made of Adamantium

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 12:39 AM
HumbleServant is currently offline Click here to Send HumbleServant a Private Message Find more posts by HumbleServant Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ShadowFyre

He restrains Colossus through Superboy at the same time.

He starts struggling at Powegirl and probably fails at Orion but makes a comeback when..

He restrains both of Superman's hands behind his back with just one of his own..No powers needed

Carver rips right through the tinfoil.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 03:41 PM
ShadowFyre is currently offline Click here to Send ShadowFyre a Private Message Find more posts by ShadowFyre Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Originally posted by HumbleServant
Good point. Their armor is made of Adamantium
Everybody then. Except those characters who can phase. Unless phasing is against the OP rules???

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 04:38 PM
ODG is currently offline Click here to Send ODG a Private Message Find more posts by ODG Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
HumbleServant

Originally posted by ODG
Everybody then. Except those characters who can phase. Unless phasing is against the OP rules???
Yes. No phasing

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 05:10 PM
ODG

Magneto restrains them all. J'onn has the best chance if he can use his shape-shifting clerverly.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 05:18 PM
Smurph
------

^ yes, assuming that Mags is allowed to reform the armor to restrain them.

If the armor is intact and Magneto is just holding it in place while the hero tries to overcome the force of his hold, then the type of metal is irrelevant (although adamantium is actually pretty hard to magnetize isn't it? might just make it tougher for Magneto here)

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 05:52 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ Repelling and attracting adamantium seemed as easy as any metal. Has Magneto ever commented on how much harder adamantium is to reshape? I think it's in-character for Magneto to just create a thin shell & shackles with thorns that pierce each character's bodies the more they resist than anything.

It's easy for Superman to push/propel a negligible weight of adamantium 5 feet. It's much harder when you have a ferrokinetic resisting that attempt. It's much much harder when you have a ferrokinetic on the level of Magneto doing it. But if Magneto just spikes that crap through your body so that you'd have to tear through your own muscles and organs just to flinch, that's something I see few characters doing.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 07:36 PM
Smurph
------

Iirc Claremont or Byrne clarified that adamantium is not magnetic but that Magneto can manipulate anything with an EM field. My (minor) point was just that Magneto could likely exert a relatively stronger hold over a suit of iron than a suit of adamantium.

As for the rest of your post, we agree, I think? This isn't about Superman vs the metal, but Superman (and the rest of the gauntlet) vs Magneto's hold on the metal. And, the thread stips favour Mags if Mags can get creative in the use of his powers to restrain.

The more narrow the meaning of "restrain", the more this is just a plain contest of strength (albeit physical strength vs tk) that favours the gauntlet.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 07:49 PM
Smurph is currently offline Click here to Send Smurph a Private Message Find more posts by Smurph Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

Originally posted by Smurph
Iirc Claremont or Byrne clarified that adamantium is not magnetic but that Magneto can manipulate anything with an EM field. My (minor) point was just that Magneto could likely exert a relatively stronger hold over a suit of iron than a suit of adamantium.

As for the rest of your post, we agree, I think? This isn't about Superman vs the metal, but Superman (and the rest of the gauntlet) vs Magneto's hold on the metal. And, the thread stips favour Mags if Mags can get creative in the use of his powers to restrain.

The more narrow the meaning of "restrain", the more this is just a plain contest of strength (albeit physical strength vs tk) that favours the gauntlet.
Cap's shield wasn't magnetic on-panel either until most every other subsequent appearance clearly showed that his shield was subject to magnetism.

I'd be interested to know if any ferrokinetic ever had to exert themselves more due to adamantium's odd composition rather than straight durability.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 08:34 PM
Smurph
------

Beast using a magnet to trap Danger and Ord, knowing it wouldn't also trap Wolverine:

(please log in to view the image)

idr if it's been reconfirmed since 2006

Last edited by Smurph on Aug 10th, 2022 at 09:41 PM

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 09:36 PM
ODG

^ It's an interesting scan and I definitely see where one can interpret it that way. The prior page gives more context. But I'm not sure targeted magnetism on those who are "made of metal or wearing way too much if it" isn't the reason other than adamantium simply not being magnetic. Maybe the computer knows not to target adamantium.

But thanks for reminding me of that scan. I'd completely forgotten about it.

Old Post Aug 10th, 2022 09:47 PM
Stoic
Avenger

I think that it also depends on how strong Adamantium is compared to other magnetically positive super alloys.

Who has been trapped in the past? What did it take, and could they free themselves in a decent amount of time?

We could consider it as a pin if they can not free themselves within what? A minute?

The Marvel side is easy, none of them in current canon are breaking out within a minute. DC is a whole other playground.

Old Post Aug 11th, 2022 04:44 AM
Stoic is currently offline Click here to Send Stoic a Private Message Find more posts by Stoic Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ I think one of the things you have to consider is that even if Magneto made a skin-tight sheath, the characters who can fly can propel themselves. So Magneto has to counteract that flight propulsion.

OP clearly stated that if the opponent moves 5 feet, it's a loss for Magneto.

Granted, none of the Marvel characters has flight except for Namor... and if his feet-wings are compromised, so is his flight. SO you're probably right that the Marvel side is easy.

But even with the DC side, I figured that Magneto would just spike these characters through their bodies so that any attempt at flight propulsion would only backfire. That's why, without phasing, Martian Manhunter has the best chance because he's physically malleable.

Old Post Aug 12th, 2022 01:40 AM
DarkSaint85

^or Lobo tears himself apart whilst laughing/swearing at the old mutant bastich

Old Post Aug 12th, 2022 06:23 AM
DarkSaint85 is currently offline Click here to Send DarkSaint85 a Private Message Find more posts by DarkSaint85 Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
ODG

^ I didn't think about that. Unless Magneto knows to completely encase him, any of Lobo's blood that spills forth from restraints will result in a clone. And if those clones move 5 feet from Lobo's original position, then that is a loss per the OP.

Old Post Aug 16th, 2022 11:58 PM