KillerMovies - Movies That Matter!

REGISTER HERE TO JOIN IN! - It's easy and it's free!
Home » Community » General Discussion Forum » Religion Forum » Was Jesus Black?

Was Jesus Black?
Started by: Turbo-Cajun

Forum Jump:
Post New Thread    Post A Reply
Pages (11): [1] 2 3 » ... Last »   Last Thread   Next Thread
Author
Thread
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Question Was Jesus Black?

What color skin was Jesus?

There are few passages in the Bible that give any kind of indication of his physical appearance in the Bible other than this:

Just as there were many who were appalled at Him – His appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and His form marred beyond human likeness….He had no beauty or majesty to attract us to Him, nothing in His appearance that we should desire Him. He was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering. Like one from whom men hide their faces He was despised, and we esteemed Him not. Isaiah 52:14 - 53:1-3

And a couple other parts like this:

"I kept looking
Until thrones were set up,
And the Ancient of Days took His seat;
His vesture was like white snow
And the hair of His head like pure wool.
His throne was ablaze with flames,
Its wheels were a burning fire." Daniel 7:9

Hair of his head like pure wool? Many people interpret this to mean he had course curly hair like some black people do. Its a stretch though I think, but just as black theologians believe the idea that Jesus was a black man despite lack of biblical evidence, there is are white Christians who believe that Jesus was a white man despite lack of biblical evidence. But, what the black theologians lack in Bible quotes they make up for in geography.

White People don't originally come from the Middle East.

There have been people who have tried to trace the ancestry of Jesus... even if you dispute the idea that Jesus has ancestors, there is evidence which shows that neither Mary or Joseph were white. If both Mary and Joseph were dark skinned people, Jesus most likely was dark too.attempt to trace Jesus's ancestory

This obviously goes against a lot of people's idea's of what Jesus looks like... many people believe Jesus was a dark haired Anglo, I think that this is pretty unlikely. Again based on geography...

I want to know what you guys think that Jesus looked like, and almost more importantly - why do you think this and what evidence do you have?

Please though, keep things civil... this is an example of a discussion on this gone wrong.
Discussion of whether Jesus was black.

A lot of good points there made by Mill... not a lot of good points made by those who disagreed with him. Try not shitting on other people please...

Ytaker agreed with me once on October 9th, 2004

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:10 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr. Sandman
Sintastic

laughing you know the Landover Baptist Church isn't a real church right? It's a parody site.

anyway, I wouldn't say Jesus was black. I'd say he was tan/dark tan. Based soley on geography. You don't see black people come from the middle east today. every one there has a good tan, some darker than others.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:18 AM
Mr. Sandman is currently offline Click here to Send Mr. Sandman a Private Message Find more posts by Mr. Sandman Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

Smile

Jesus was a JEW- he was dark skinned - not black - but had a great tan- so did his mom and pop

didn't you see The Passion - or go to Sunday School when you were little

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:20 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Darth Revan
-

Jesus was probably Middle Eastern... He would have been stoned to death by those hard ass mother****ers if he had been black no expression

having nothing but a hyphen under my name makes me look so xhardxcorex. like a felon.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:22 AM
Darth Revan is currently offline Click here to Send Darth Revan a Private Message Find more posts by Darth Revan Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Morning_Glory
Sleeping In My Soul

^^^ laughing

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:25 AM
Morning_Glory is currently offline Click here to Send Morning_Glory a Private Message Find more posts by Morning_Glory Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

Yeah... i went to sunday school, no I didnt go to the Passion because Mel Gibson is insane and that isn't based on anything factual either. I don't want to have to debate the movie here....

And yeah if you cant figure out its satire, yur dum.... i still dont want to have to listen to people here talking like that, we have come close a couple times here.

This is what a lot of people thinks he looks like... brown hair blue eyes?

Attachment: jesus.jpg
This has been downloaded 282 time(s).

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:34 AM
Turbo-Cajun is currently offline Click here to Send Turbo-Cajun a Private Message Find more posts by Turbo-Cajun Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Turbo-Cajun
Big Baby Jesus

quote:
Originally posted by Arachnoidfreak
anyway, I wouldn't say Jesus was black. I'd say he was tan/dark tan. Based soley on geography.

On that other link (the term paper) it tells about how some of Jesus's family lived in places that were known black civiliztations... and Mid East human geography has changed a lot in the last 2000 years. Things like that change fast... look at how the typical american has changed in the last 400 years. There was a huge number of Jews of lighter skin that moved into the area (Isreal) after WWII... look at the people that lived there before the Israelis took the land. Palestians look way different than the Israelis... and that switch in population in Israel happened only 60 or so years ago. There is some evidence in that link that says there were blacks that lived in that area... i dunno. I guess I dont think he is really black either, I think he was dark though... dark. Not the brown hair, blues eyes Jesus that we see a lot of. I just thought "Was Jesus Black?" would get more attention than "What do you think Jesus looks like?"... i dont like making threads sounding like that, it makes me sound too religious. I just called it that because I had just read a bunch of stuff on black churchs and got into a site talking about black theology (not the made up one, lol)... it was what I was thinking about, and they are the only group that seriously tries to challenge the eurocentric image of Jesus.

shoot me.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:55 AM
finti

From Discovery Channel : started with an Israeli skull dating back to the 1st century. They then used computer programs, clay, simulated skin and their knowledge about the Jewish people of the time to determine the shape of the face, and color of eyes and skin."

This is their version of Yeshua ben Nazereth

Attachment: yeshua ben nazareth.jpg
This has been downloaded 284 time(s).

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 08:42 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
NiceGuynj
Your Name Here

Yes Jeses was Jewish period who cares of his skin color.

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 08:46 AM
NiceGuynj is currently offline Click here to Send NiceGuynj a Private Message Find more posts by NiceGuynj Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Mr Zero
Darth Xero

That looks more like Johnny Depp in POTC than a Jesus.

Attachment: jesus.jpg
This has been downloaded 278 time(s).

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 09:02 AM
Mr Zero is currently offline Click here to Send Mr Zero a Private Message Find more posts by Mr Zero Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

It was images like that Zero posted that made the Vikings name jesus
"kviti krist" which means white christ. All shiny illimunated images.
..................just a little info for ya all there big grin cool

Last edited by finti on Oct 31st, 2004 at 09:14 AM

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 09:12 AM
finti is currently offline Click here to Send finti a Private Message Find more posts by finti Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Syren
dreaming

quote:
Originally posted by finti
From Discovery Channel : started with an Israeli skull dating back to the 1st century. They then used computer programs, clay, simulated skin and their knowledge about the Jewish people of the time to determine the shape of the face, and color of eyes and skin."

This is their version of Yeshua ben Nazereth

I think this is more likely to be closer to the truth....... dark skinned, coarse haired; that blue-eyed, silky brown-haired, 'Because I'm Worth It' look is utter bullshit. It's just another way of making people believe Jesus was pure and the perfect saviour. Would you be more likely to worship the sweet-looking Jesus or the pic that Finti posted, the 'You Ain't Got Nothin' On Me, Man' weirdo? Come on, humanity is superficial people wink

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 11:43 AM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
big gay kirk

If jesus was indeed descended from Solomon's line, then it is indeen possible that he had "black" ancestry... though not negroid black as most seem to think... their is a good body of evidence that the Queen of Sheba, far from being the Yemeni Arab usually though of, was in fact from Ethiopia... the majority of the population there belonging to the "Nilo-saharan" group, like the Touaregs... black, but not negroid...

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 11:48 AM
big gay kirk is currently offline Click here to Send big gay kirk a Private Message Find more posts by big gay kirk Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

fact is does it matter what he looked like?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 12:22 PM
Syren
dreaming

Nope. But then most of these philosophical threads don't matter, so to speak, nothing will change dramatically as a result of these conversations and discussions but I'm assuming we enjoy having them, right?

ThorinWoofer

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 12:36 PM
Syren is currently offline Click here to Send Syren a Private Message Find more posts by Syren Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
jinXed by JaNx

does it matter?

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:02 PM
jinXed by JaNx is currently offline Click here to Send jinXed by JaNx a Private Message Find more posts by jinXed by JaNx Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

"fact is does it matter what he looked like?"

If Jesus came back (assuming he existed) and he was discovered to be black, how many of the Jesus worshipping white christians would turn tail and run?

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:24 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

laughing out loud guess KKK would have some fits

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:32 PM
Alpha Centauri
Restricted

Account Restricted

I can just imagine them knocking on the doors of the ancestors of all the black people they oppressed and killed:

"Erm......sorry?"

-AC

Signature by Starlock.

I review comics and such here: http://welcometothemast.blogspot.com

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:41 PM
Alpha Centauri is currently offline Click here to Send Alpha Centauri a Private Message Find more posts by Alpha Centauri Edit/Delete Message Reply w/Quote Quick Quote
finti

no they would have refused to accept that jesus

Old Post Oct 31st, 2004 05:46 PM